• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneijin

Takao said:
It appears Bandai "I can't believe we haven't been closed yet" Entertainment will announce their Star Driver license at Sakuracon. Personally I am totally shocked...
So I have to finish it now? Sigh

firehawk12 said:
I just assumed everyone thought it sucked. :p

At least with Infinite Stratos, I could understand...
Season 2 is very well on its way. Watch! We'll be proven right.

Takao said:
It appears Bandai "I can't believe we haven't been closed yet" Entertainment will announce their Star Driver license at Sakuracon. Personally I am totally shocked...

Oh yes, Ive been dying to finally watch that to see if all the fan art Ive seen is true. Main character and that other guy looked so cool. Hope it gets good casting.

icarus-daedelus said:
These kinds of subtleties are difficult to capture in a 0-10 rating system.

I did give Black Lion (dub) an 8, though, so you may be onto something here.
It's true that a 0-10 rating system - or any rating system - can't entirely capture the nuances of a show's quality. In this case, it seems pretty simple: Some shows cannot be watched or enjoyed. Glass Fleet can be watched and enjoyed, if not for the reasons the creators intended. So, while Glass Fleet is a failure, it doesn't deserve the worst rating possible.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
Oh, we need to see
America-tan and Russian-nyan
surely. Japan is awesome!
I just realized how significant its Volume 1 sales are today.

I knew Infinite Stratos was quite a hit with some of us, I guess not with my other writers especially they didn’t like how the story was written out. Just last week Infinite Stratos Vol. 1 was released on Blu-ray and DVD. The BD has topped Oricon weekly charts with a sale record of 22,000!

Infinite Stratos is the 6th anime series to top the weekly chart for Vol 1 alongside K-ON!, Bakemonogatari, Angeal Beats!, Macross Frontier, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2.

So making a comparison whereby Macross Frontier is at 22,000, Angel Beats! had 23,000 copies. Bakemonogatari scored 29,000 copies while K-ON! topped the list with 33,000 copies. Unable to check up on Code Geass. Infinite Stratos is quite below on the list but regardless it’s #1 on the charts now! ^^.

zeroshiki

M_Night said:
Just finished watching a movie called Hanamizuki (live action) and it reminded me a lot of 5cm Per Second. I would definitely recommended it if you want a similar experience and it's kinda what I was expecting but never got from 5cm.

Details here for those interested...

http://asianmediawiki.com/Hanamizuki_-May_your_love_bloom_a_hundred_years-

Wait wait, where did you watch this? There's a copy of this out? I've been waiting for this for months! Gakky~~~

EDIT: FOUND IT! I forgot the DVD was coming out this month >_<

Also, you guys are nuts. This is the first time I woke up to find that the page has moved this much. Its usually slower around this time.

jman2050

Lafiel said:
Toradora 13 - Half-way through this now, and i haft to admit having came in with the expectation of hating on it, I'm strangely enjoying it for some reason.:lol

See this is the part where most everyone is like "wait a second. This is a generic romantic comedy with a few minor twists but with pretty standard characters and a good deal of the standard Japanese romcom trappings and yet I can't stop watching"

Welcome to the fold :p
pending whether you like the rest of the series of course

Lafiel said:
Pfft there's already a fair bit of asian melodrama in the show so far, are you saying it gets worse? :)

Well even as a staunch Toradora supporter I agree with the fact that the last arc was somewhat weak and became a bit too melodramatic for what it was trying to acheive. Comes with the genre unfortunately.

However, it never ever gets TOO bad to become unenjoyable, and even aside from that the ending is mostly satisfactory (even moreso in the novel) and ensures the viewing experience was worth it.

Geneijin

trejo said:
I blame all of you for the success of IS. I've absolutely no reason to but I do all the same.
Not sure of accuracy.

Articalys said:
When was the tipping point when the fanservice-laden shows started ruling the sales charts? Or has it been that way for a while and people only recently started to take notice?
No clue.

The IS success is really boggling my mind right now.

Articalys

When was the tipping point when the fanservice-laden shows started ruling the sales charts? Or has it been that way for a while and people only recently started to take notice?

Takao

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
Oh yes, Ive been dying to finally watch that to see if all the fan art Ive seen is true. Main character and that other guy looked so cool. Hope it gets good casting.

I'd say it's 50:50 for it to even get a dub to be honest with you.

trejo

Dresden said:
Let me cheer you up, man.

Wandering Son won't sell 5% of what IS sold in the first week.
Now I hope Dororon takes even longer just to spite you.

edit: And waddaya know, it's out. You win this round, sir.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
jman2050 said:
I do like how that particular arc was just as much about
Ryuuji getting over HIS daddy issues
as it was Taiga doing the same.
Totally. For me it really built up his clout as a character and showed off his depth. The other side of the passive, laid back coin so to speak.

Wait a sec... we're agreeing on something? Damnit... uh... somethingsomething Madoka sucks yadda yadda...

:p

mAcOdIn

cosmicblizzard said:
He's 100% serious.
Oh I know.
Dedication Through Light said:
Maybe more episodes, but I think it was the perfect number. Plus Kanade had already maxed out her Hand Sonic.

They resolved everyone's plot well. Though werent there rumors of a sequel coming? I would mind having more.
Oh God no, everyone's plot had not been resolved!

Anyways, Kanade was one of my main gripes.
The show would go places, like imply that having God remembers how many evil clones thrust back into her psyche would fuck up her consciousness only to throw the idea away next episode and have her wake back up just fine.
The show was just too full of things it could have and should have done but just didn't, everything that should have had serious consequences didn't and as a result felt cheap and stupid. And that's me ignoring the stuff I argued about with A Black Falcon with fate, time manipulation and shit like that.

So Angel Beats' sin to me was having promise and going nowhere. If they wanted a comedy there was stuff they could do, they had plenty of amusing moments but it seems they weren't going for a comedy so that was half-assed, then you have the drama side and that was half-assed, everything was schizophrenic, the show could have been so good had the series just had a single direction that it followed but instead it just kinda was all over the place.

I really wanted to like the show, I still think had they had the courage to really go dark it would have been awesome but missed opportunities and failed expectations are a given with anime.

Cwarrior

gungrave ep4

Really enjoying this, after watching index it feels strange watching anime I like, really regret drop this show all those years ago after watching just the first episode.

love the ending theme

Inital
gaf really needs to watch Inital d (funimation dub,its aweasome)

try watch 1 episode

ps1 cg +techno pop+epic cheesie lines = Comedy Gold

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Just watched the first episode of Hanasaku Iroha. Very nice artwork and animation. The plot could go either way at this point (the drama is at the edge of being too dramatic, but hasn't crossed it just yet).

I love the designs, and overall direction and attention to expressions is quite welcome. I look forward to the next episode. ^_^

Uchip

Banned
Cwarrior said:
gungrave ep4

Really enjoying this, after watching index it feels strange watching anime I like, really regret drop this show all those years ago after watching just the first episode.

love the ending theme

yeah I really enjoyed gungrave too
its definitely one of those shows you recommend to casual anime fans

jman2050 said:
See this is the part where most everyone is like "wait a second. This is a generic romantic comedy with a few minor twists but with pretty standard characters and a good deal of the standard Japanese romcom trappings and yet I can't stop watching"

Welcome to the fold :p
pending whether you like the rest of the series of course

Well even as a staunch Toradora supporter I agree with the fact that the last arc was somewhat weak and became a bit too melodramatic for what it was trying to acheive. Comes with the genre unfortunately.

However, it never ever gets TOO bad to become unenjoyable, and even aside from that the ending is mostly satisfactory (even moreso in the novel) and ensures the viewing experience was worth it.

that scene where minorin got pissed and went fuck this shit was kinda annoying due to tiaga's antics but least minorin got serious. And that final decision by Taiga (luckily they redeemed it somewhat in the after credits)

Jerk

Banned
Madoka

Are y'all sure this is safe to watch?

I mean:

1293807077_212_FT0_mahou_shoujo_madoka_magika3.jpg

Every fibre in my body is telling me to run away...

jman2050

Jerk said:
Madoka

I mean:

1293807077_212_FT0_mahou_shoujo_madoka_magika3.jpg

If you end up not liking the show, it won't have anything to do with it being too moe or too cutesy or whatever you're afraid of.

Just trust us on this.

iavi

Star Driver 25

I jumped from 6 -> 25, and feel pretty good about it. Much couldn't have changed throughout the series because I still had a pretty good idea of what was going down, surprisingly. Insert songs were catchy, and animation was good--though, not as good as usual Bones, I felt. The actual progression however, was anti-climatic as fuck.

Takuto gets beat down.
"I CAN SEE IT!"
Wins.
Sugata is a martyr. Everybody cries "wah, we're losing such a good man."
Takuto says "fuck that shit, nobody steals my spotlight." And proceeds to destroy this big ass cybody that I'm guessing was played up as the ultimate entity in the universe for the whole show.

Funny story, first thing I thought of when he said I CAN SEE IT, was: "Oh, great, he can already see the ending. So can I"

mAcOdIn said:
So Angel Beats' sin to me was having promise and going nowhere. If they wanted a comedy there was stuff they could do, they had plenty of amusing moments but it seems they weren't going for a comedy so that was half-assed, then you have the drama side and that was half-assed, everything was schizophrenic, the show could have been so good had the series just had a single direction that it followed but instead it just kinda was all over the place.

I really wanted to like the show, I still think had they had the courage to really go dark it would have been awesome but missed opportunities and failed expectations are a given with anime.

I can agree with that. I think I remember feeling that way for awhile, but I guess I just let go of my inhibitions and enjoyed it for what it was...though the characters stood out more than the plot, especially because of Otonashi, he was a great protagonist.

Jerk said:
Madoka

I mean:

Seriously, watch to episode 3 and you'll understand everything. There is a very good reason why you should NOT trust the promo art.

hellclerk

cosmicblizzard said:
Seriously, watch to episode 3 and you'll understand everything. There is a very good reason why you should NOT trust the promo art.
You do realize that
Mami dying in an admittedly groutesque fashion
says about nothing to the core thematics and interest of the story, right? If anything,
that sequences wasn't much more than a set up for MOOD DISSONANCE WoooOOOooo~

I guess what I'm trying to say is, episode 3 told me nothing about the series
other than people die.
But that doesn't really tell me that much as it were.

doomed1 said:
You do realize that
says about nothing to the core thematics and interest of the story, right? If anything,

other than people die.

I think it says enough precisely for the reasons you listed, especially considering
Jerk thinks it's a moe moe uguu happy magical girl series where no one dies and the main characters are all popular and junk while they make friends with their former enemies.
No one is discussing themes here.

flawfuls

Dororon Enma

That was fantastic, everything was very charming and really well done. If they can keep up that level of quality this show will be a blast.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
B-b-but I'm a lesbian and my girlfriend wants to become a nun! CONFLICT! MELODRAMA! IMPLIED YURI!

I like to think of Marimite as the less angsty, more fun Oniisama e.... (Is that the right number of periods? Fuck it, I'm calling it Brother Dear Brother here on out.) I'm pretty sure it is at least somewhat aware of how ridiculous it can be.

Or maybe it's not, and it just doesn't have quite the sense of crushing emotional weight and import of Brother, Dear Brother, making it seem a lot lighter.
I think it's because the angst is a bit spread out and generally, the stakes seem a bit lower than they are in MariMite... mostly because no one tries to kill themselves.

But, for whatever reason, Asian writers can never be subtle with melodrama. Ever. :lol

Dresden

doomed1 said:
You do realize that
YBBt2.gif

Branduil

doomed1 said:
You do realize that

other than people die.
The tone and the theme are interconnected. But I wouldn't expect you to admit that point.

hellclerk

cosmicblizzard said:
I think it says enough precisely for the reasons you listed, especially considering
Jerk thinks it's a moe moe uguu happy magical girl series where no one dies and the main characters are all popular and junk while they make friends with their former enemies.
No one is discussing themes here.
I still think it's disingenuous. The finer points don't really start to show until near the end.

Though on the same token, Jerk, it's not "typical" magical girl bullshit. You might find enjoyment in it.

Branduil said:
The tone and the theme are interconnected. But I wouldn't expect you to admit that point.
They are still not the same thing.

Dresden said:
HA! Great scene, that. :D

doomed1 said:
They are still not the same thing.

They aren't the same thing, but they are connected. Episode 3 is what the tone starts to shift (although it should have been obvious to people that it was going there from Episode 1), which has a lot to do with what the themes of the series are.

doomed1 said:
You do realize that

other than people die.

Actually that immediately tells you the kind of direction the story is going.
Before that fight, Madoka confesses how much she looks up to Mami and wants to become a magical girl to fight alongside her. Mami, having been alone for so long, is joyful at the prospect of having a partner and vows to fight hard for Madoka's sake. The plot seems to be moving in the direction of "Friendship conquers all", a standard magical girl trope. Initially, with this newfound motivation, Mami seems to be victorious. But her perfunctory death turns things in the opposite direction - love, friendship, and idealism actually aren't very useful when you're facing powerful evil. From that moment the deconstructionist nature of Madoka Magica is apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom