• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

Nichijou 2: Consistent product values. That chase scene was amazing.

Tiger & Bunny 2: Seems like the first episode may not have been a bluff episode as 2 was great.

Hanasaku Iroha 2: I agree with the praise. So far its show of the season. I was hoping Ohana would be up front but she just came off crazy lol.

trejo said:
I am always ready to trust Bones again. It's like battered wife syndrome.

I always end up crawling back for more... and so will you...

Kagari said:
Nothing really interesting this season for me... <_<

Try out Tiger & Bunny and Hanasaku Iroha if you haven't already. They both seem like the best of the bunch from the season so far according to GAF.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A Black Falcon said:
Ray Bradbury is very good. Try his stuff again, both the stories and that TV series I mentioned too. I haven't read Azimov in quite a while either though, but he's certainly highly regarded in the genre...
It's the problem with the canon, where you kind of just have to read "bad" fiction because it's important to the field. It happens with everything though.

As for your complaint there, some fantasy and sci-fi does a better job of world-building than others. Better stuff in either field (sci-fi in particular) can get pretty interesting with concepts of possible alien life. Some authors have really tried to make "realistic" aliens... many others don't, but some have. In fantasy sticking with the standard races is the most common thing, and since I love fantasy stuff I don't mind that, but still some at least have somewhat more original ideas, even if they're just modified elves and dwarves a lot of the time.

As for names though, I think fantasy names should be things that don't sound like "normal" human names. I expect that and like fantasy characters to have fantasy-style names. :) Aliens also, of course they should be different somehow... sure I guess sometimes it's silly, but not always.
I don't mind world building, but in film/television form, they can't mull on their worlds too long. Exceptions exist of course, since Aria is basically a Venice tourist video, but it's very rare to see that kind of world building executed well. I suppose the fact that most fantasy novels exist in some form of European history makes it a bit easier, but then it becomes about the mythology... and I can barely keep away for all the Greek/Roman stuff, so I'm not sure how I can keep up with fake gods made up for a book.

As for side stories and stuff, yeah that one you mention in ASoIaF does sort of pay of (she's a regular character), but in a book it's easy to skip something, if you don't like it... in fantasy books which switch between multiple viewpoints from chapter to chapter, something very common in the genre, sometimes I will skip around to read all of the chapters for one character in order, or something, if I want to know what happens next without having to read several unrelated chapters first. That's easy to do in a book. :)
Yeah, I tend to skim through a lot of novels nowadays. I suppose the good thing about genre fiction is that you know exactly what you can speed through.

Really? I haven't noticed. What shows are you talking about? It does seem harder for fantasy shows to not be cheesy on TV, but it is kind of odd, it doesn't seem like it should be THAT hard to do a decent fantasy TV show... oh well.
Merlin, Camelot, Spartacus, The Borgias... there's probably more on the horizon.

You haven't watched it yet? You need to, experience the tedium for yourself!
I've heard the game just uses scenes from the anime, so that should be hilarious.

Also though I think that more action without purpose goes into things for younger audiences... though sure, some adults obviously like pointless action too. I have mixed feelings, sometimes I can watch it but other times I just am left so uninterested I turn it off. But I've never exactly been an action movie fan, though... never watched a Rambo or Rocky movie, for instance. And I think the only Schwarzenegger movie I watched in the '80s or '90s was Jingle all the Way...
If I turn my brain off, action is something I can usually watch once because it's bros being bros. After the fact, it becomes an issue of craft - either I like the directing in the scene, or the music, so I might watch an action scene again (for me, the chases in The Bourne series for John Powell's soundtrack). Otherwise, I become bored out of my mind.

Perfect example is District 9. It's a fine movie the first time around, but on a second viewing it doesn't hold up at all. The tension of the first half is gone and the last 30 minute action sequence is just a boring orgy of nondescript violence.

Bah, WinDVD is better. :)
Same dif!

Geneijin

Azazel-san - 1
Devils. Sex. Awesome.

duckroll said:
Interest rising. Not sure why I like Soul Nomad as much as I did.

InfiniteNine said:
Well it looks like the OreImo game is being hacked and translated.
Excellent.

Cwarrior said:
is there something between gaf and slam dunk i don't know about?

right now its on hold only got to episode 5
It's a good sports anime but the pacing might bother you later because of how long games could span.

Unless you want to watch a basketball anime like Buzzer Beater or Dear Boys. You really don't want to watch the latter.

tiff

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Huh? I've posted reviews of every episode of the series, and definitely like it. I thought I was the only one, since the backlash against the first episode...
I haven't been posting about it but I'm watching the series too. I've warmed up to it since the first episode.

Nichijou 2 - Better than the first episode. I laughed out loud a few times. Still mega super cute. I like it.

Also finished up Yumekui Merry today. Don't have much to say about since I don't think too highly of it, but I just wanted to post this:
nW4awl.jpg

e:
M_Night said:
*shivers*

Some Japanese audio better be shoved on to that Blu-ray.
I remember when I looked it up that it'll have both Japanese and English audio.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Wow, this is awful.
I thought we already went through this a while ago. :lol

And "light music club"... okay, I give. That should be fully localized to "band" or something. Unless what the kids listen to is "light music" nowadays.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
I thought we already went through this a while ago. :lol

And "light music club"... okay, I give. That should be fully localized to "band" or something. Unless what the kids listen to is "light music" nowadays.
We did person who experienced several K-On dubs.

And well, it is lightly about music and more about tea time.

trejo

Softenni 1

Well I guess things need to balance out somehow. Can't have so many good shows in a given season without some panderbait stuff here and there.

Ezalc

Yep that was awesome. Really liking Tiger his look and personality are awesome. Definitely going to keep on watching the show. I've actually now just been able to disregard any of the giant BANDAI and the like on the heroes' costumes. Only complaint I have is that the two of them having the same power and a power that has a time limit on it kinda blows, I hope that their powers somehow evolve throughout the show in different ways. Also:

Tiger_Episode2_Pic19.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
We did person who experienced several K-On dubs.
Japanese Ritsu > Cantonese Ritsu (TVB) > Cantonese Ritsu (J2) > Mandarin Ritsu (Taiwan) > English Ritsu (Animax Asia).
Where will Bang Zoom Ritsu fit in?

And well, it is lightly about music and more about tea time.
Point taken. Maybe they can play some soft tennis!

trejo

Azazel-san 1

It was pretty good but most of all it's the short length that helps it the most. I don't think I'd bother with it otherwise.

First episode also features Rie Kugimiya making some really odd sex noises. This could be a good or bad thing depending on who you are, I guess.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
trejo said:
Azazel-san 1

It was pretty good but most of all it's the short length that helps it the most. I don't think I'd bother with it otherwise.

First episode also features Rie Kugimiya making some really odd sex noises. This could be a good or bad thing depending on who you are, I guess.
Watching.

Geneijin

trejo said:
Azazel-san 1

Definitely check out the OVA when you get the chance. I wish it were longer, but Episode 1 has been pretty solid.

InfiniteNine said:
Watching.
Yuu Kobayashi makes an appearance later based on the casting.

jman2050

Touche unnamed mod.

Touche.

So anyway!

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 7+8

In episode 7, Usagi mistakenly thinks the best character of the show (karaoke guy) is Tuxedo Mask and tries to get close to him! The dude ends up being a reasonably smooth asshole by immediately inviting her and some of her friends to an amusement park with some of his friends! One of them being the real Tuxedo Mask, of course. As per glorious fashion, epic failure ensues and Tuxedo Mask learns SM's identity.

Episode 8, Makoto and Rei get into a fight but end up making up when Makoto finds out Rei's dad is kind of an asshole to her. You know the rest. Jadeite attacks, yadda yadda. Really, just describing these episodes is boring, you really just have to see this show to believe how strange it is. The irony is that this plot actually kinda makes more sense than the anime version at this point.

Next episode, Usagi dresses up as Tuxedo Mask. This can only end well. An episode I definitely plan on watching soon and NOT randomly holding off on, believe me! No, it's not like there would be some horrifying consequence for failing to continue watching this glorious trainwreck, I'm just saying, really!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
trejo said:
Azazel-san 1

Is this paired with Hen Zemi? It'd explain the running times of both anyway.

jman2050 said:
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 7+8

In episode 7, Usagi mistakenly thinks the best character of the show (karaoke guy) is Tuxedo Mask and tries to get close to him! The dude ends up being a reasonably smooth asshole by immediately inviting her and some of her friends to an amusement park with some of his friends! One of them being the real Tuxedo Mask, of course. As per glorious fashion, epic failure ensues and Tuxedo Mask learns SM's identity.

Episode 8, Makoto and Rei get into a fight but end up making up when Makoto finds out Rei's dad is kind of an asshole to her. You know the rest. Jadeite attacks, yadda yadda. Really, just describing these episodes is boring, you really just have to see this show to believe how strange it is. The irony is that this plot actually kinda makes more sense than the anime version at this point.

Next episode, Usagi dresses up as Tuxedo Mask. This can only end well. An episode I definitely plan on watching soon and NOT randomly holding off on, believe me! No, it's not like there would be some horrifying consequence for failing to continue watching this glorious trainwreck, I'm just saying, really!

If nothing else, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon is reassuring. I am reassured that the Japanese are as good at turning conversion of animation to live action into a total abortion. So it's not just Hollywood which ruins things when they go from comic book or animation to live action, if anything, Hollywood learned from the best!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
Didn't notice that. It is paired together with Hen Zemi on AT-X.

Azazel-san TV 27:00; Hen Zemi TV 27:15
Ah, there ya go. And they're both psychological sex comedies, so yay for synergy.

Also, "27:00" still kills me. :lol

icarus-daedelus said:
Hanasaku Iroha was sort of dull this week until Ohana spontaneously tackled the other two girls, and that ending, which I don't know what to make of. It's a pleasant kind of dull, though, the kind I enjoy wallowing in on a Sunday afternoon. I get the comparisons to Aria in the overall mood it creates, but this has significantly greater amounts of conflict between the characters which makes it feel somewhat deviant from the slice of life norm. Some of the conflict feels a bit TOO heightened, but I still feel that the MC grounds everything and makes it all pretty bearable.
Given the preview, it'll be a hilarious misunderstanding and everyone will be happy and whatnot. For me, the Aria comparison starts at the fact the series is framed around a girl going to work at an unfamiliar place. So, she becomes our cipher into the world. Tonally, it's definitely more "exciting" anyway. Grandma = Akira though!

Hanasaku Iroha 2

Continues to be great! Ohana is such a great protagonist - a volatile bundle of emotions spashing out in unpredictable ways. She is her mother's child, as much as she would hate to hear that. Her fresh personality is the perfect catalyst for character development for the entire cast, which you can already see beginning to occur. I eagerly await the next episode.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Toradora 19 - So i guess I'm finally getting to the heavy "melodrama" portion of the series, i am surprised that there hasn't been much love triangle angst for this type of show, although judging from those last few minutes, i can see it going in that direction for a bit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
So Seikon no Qwaser II starts tomorrow. Who's going to watch it and be neogaf's guinea pig this time 'round?
Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

Aria feels less srs bsns, though. It's a lot less dramatic; someone like Akira who is ostensibly verbally abusive (grandma on HanaIro is inarguably physically abusive, at least!) doesn't feel that way, and ultimately everybody feels warm and fuzzy by the end of the episode, audience included. With HanaIro, I don't feel that way at all - there's continuity to the character conflicts from episode to episode and it's not really peaches and sunshine by the end of each. (After two whole episodes. lulz. I may be jumping the gun just a bit.)

The premise and the atmosphere are similar, so I mean I see the comparison; I think it's just the tone and the level of melodrama that makes them feel different for me.
Part of it is because the OP and ED basically spoils everything, but I have no doubt that this won't be some kind of horrible Cinderella story where our protagonist is abused by her evil stepmother/grandmother and her stepsisters/peers. Grandmother will dish out tough but fair love and the girls will all become friends and we'll have a fuwafuwa dokidoki good time with some family drama once in a while.

It's probably not going to go all mono no aware and whatnot anyway, which is why I'd say it's like Ristorante Paradiso crossed with Aria.

Lafiel said:
Toradora 19 - So i guess I'm finally getting to the heavy "melodrama" portion of the series, i am surprised that there hasn't been much love triangle angst for this type of show, although judging from those last few minutes, i can see it going in that direction for a bit.
Full speed ahead! You're either all in or you'll find these final episodes implausible or insufferable.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So I just finished FMA Brotherhood... recommend me something good with no moe moe girls or stupid crap in it that's been completely aired.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Kagari said:
So I just finished FMA Brotherhood... recommend me something good with no moe moe girls or stupid crap in it that's been completely aired.

Wandering Son.

Kagari said:
Out of the shows aired in the past year that I've seen, I'd say Durarara or Shiki. Wandering Son is probably a good choice as well, though I haven't gotten around to it yet.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
hosannainexcelsis said:
Out of the shows aired in the past year that I've seen, I'd say Durarara or Shiki. Wandering Son is probably a good choice as well, though I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Shiki is easily one of the best choices. It's up on Hulu.

Wandering Son is another A+ choice, but it's not up on Hulu.

Cwarrior

Kagari said:

madoka

only jokeing

so do you want to watch something new or old? and what have you seen so far(post anime nerd list if you have one)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Kagari said:
Tatami galaxy

Risette

A Good Citizen
Kagari said:
Tatami Galaxy is another good show that's aired kinda (not really, but I'm under the assumption that you haven't seen much anime aired in the past two years or so) recently.

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is fun and stylish too.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
Part of it is because the OP and ED basically spoils everything, but I have no doubt that this won't be some kind of horrible Cinderella story where our protagonist is abused by her evil stepmother/grandmother and her stepsisters/peers. Grandmother will dish out tough but fair love and the girls will all become friends and we'll have a fuwafuwa dokidoki good time with some family drama once in a while.
Or they could go the route of making Ohana's
bloody nose
in Episode 1 a more serious issue than what it initially appeared to be if they choose to go melodramatic.

I still haven't watched Episode 2.

JKTrix

Aigis said:
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is fun and stylish too.
This is (intentionally) stupid and has loads of (literal) crap. It's the two things asked not to have!

I'd upvote it anyway, after Wandering Son.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
Or they could go the route of making Ohana's
bloody nose
in Episode 1 a more serious issue than what it initially appeared to be if they choose to go melodramatic.

I still haven't watched Episode 2.
I don't know if Asia has gotten all PC nowadays, but that kind of slap usually doesn't mean anything too drastic. It's why it was used twice in that episode after all. :lol

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
I don't know if Asia has gotten all PC nowadays, but that kind of slap usually doesn't mean anything too drastic. It's why it was used twice in that episode after all. :lol
Talking about when
Ohana had a nosebleed when talking to her mother and her mother's fiance.

tiff

Banned
Hanasaku Iroha 2 - Finding something to say about this show that hasn't already been said is pretty hard. I guess what I like most about it is that it manages to have interesting characters with unique personalities without going overboard to the point where it doesn't feel realistic anymore (if that makes any sense?). I find myself being able being able to empathize with Ohana pretty easily as she struggles to adjust to her new life.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
JKTrix said:
This is (intentionally) stupid and has loads of (literal) crap. It's the two things asked not to have!

I'd upvote it anyway, after Wandering Son.

Yeah, I saw 7th's thread on that, so I'm avoiding it.
I used to follow new shows regularly at least through 2008 since I used to fansub. With lack of decent shows increasing, interest just died off. There's been a few here and there since then but nothing like it was during the early-mid 2000s. Most recent stuff I've seen and actually enjoyed were Baccano and now FMA Brotherhood, which I had originally pushed aside after the terribleness that was the end of the original series and the movie.

These days I mainly read manga anyway, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom