• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

flawfuls said:
I'm with Index avatar. I found all the parts with those two to be pretty boring.

trejo said:
What's up with that avatar anyway? Did you lose a bet or something?

OH GOD

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Well I watched...

Dororon Enma - that was funny, I will keep watching
Nichijou - boring
Toriko - it was a one piece crossover episode .-.
A Channel - it tries to be like Lucky Star but it fails

I tend to like a lot of Sunrise produced anime. Dirty Pair, Inuyasha, Kekkaishi, Scryed, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Branduil said:
Should probably give up on anime then since there are already several good shows across a wide spectrum of genres.

Nah, I just watch old stuff, or things that are a few years old that I wrote off before but went back to.

Jex

Master Milk said:
So then, what did he do to bring it about?
It seems to be rather like a tag, except with the added bonus of being so very visual and taking up an avatar slot.

Hellsing321 said:
He announced that Index is his Waifu.
I must be missing something then. His reaction isn't what I'd expect from someone that considers Index his waifu. In fact, it seems more like he wants his waifu dead.

Dresden

Master Milk said:
I must be missing something then. His reaction isn't what I'd expect from someone that considers Index his waifu. In fact, it seems more like he wants his waifu dead.
If GAF was an anime, jman would be voiced by Rie Kugimiya.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Branduil said:
Should probably give up on anime then since there are already several good shows across a wide spectrum of genres.
Yep this season seems to have at least one show for all tastes there's the classy slice-of-life series (hanasaku iroha) science-fiction / action with x-men, the moeblob kyoani show with nichijou, the GAR GAR GAR manly ass shit with dororon enma-kun.

And this is all with the noitamina heavy-hitters yet to air. (and even if they sucked this would still be a good season).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
icarus-daedelus said:
Why not do both? Watch old and new. It's what the cool kids like me do.

*slips on broken monocle and fake moustache*

I tried watching something last season and it was terrible (Star Driver).

Kagari said:
I tried watching something last season and it was terrible (Star Driver).

Judging an entire seasons based on 1 show?

But seriously, this season is very good and covers pretty much everything. Check some stuff out.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
I skipped fall entirely as well, but winter had Wandering Son and PMMM so that wasn't all a wash.

Now, this season has done an unexpectedly good job of covering a wide variety of genres and not totally sucking in the process. See lafiel's post. It certainly exceeded my expectations.
It's one of the best season since I've been posting on GAF.

Oh wait, that's not enough seasons to be impressive.

Tiger and Bunny 2
Really liking this show. The dynamic between Tiger and Barnaby is great. Also am I crazy or was the bank in the flashback the bank from the opening scene of The Dark Knight?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Gonna rock. Haters all owned. I believe!
I'm trying to remain optimistic that 2011 will break the bone curse lulz. Because i mean they clearly have learned from star driver and heroman!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jman2050 said:
How long has it been like this? It was just fine for me a couple hours ago.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Best moment of the thread so far!

icarus-daedelus said:
Did you just kind of spoil the ending of Angel Beatz!! for me, firehawk? Did you? DID YOU?!

Thanks. Now I have no reason to continue living. Gonna go listen to some SAD MACHINE now.
Umm... I mean, it's like the ending of Friends!
"I'll be there for youuuuuu, uguuuuuuuuu"

thetechkid said:
I'm go out on a limb as say ZeXal will be 50 times better than Star Driver.

And that would be sad for Star Driver.

Lotte's toy

Well they changed the beginning already, will see how they progress it.

Funny they just alluded to an upcoming joke in later chaps (thought it would be addressed at that time).

Rie doing a good job lol and prepare for many loli fanservice hijinks :/

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Jexhius said:
I'm trying to imagine a world where all those projects end up being great. It's pretty hard to picture.

Then again, it's equally crazy that I might be paying attention to eleven shows this season.

One thing that's appealing about all those projects is they seem to be a return to what people love about bones eg serious science-fiction with mechas and of course a movie of one of their best-loved series.

Heroman and Star driver for example were a pretty big departure from what they usually make.

Rektash said:
Gosick - 12: I seem to be the only one enjoying this show so here we go:
Huh? I've posted reviews of every episode of the series, and definitely like it. I thought I was the only one, since the backlash against the first episode...

This is how you put in character development into a filler. No actual stuff happening but feeling that the show took a step forward is always a good sign. Of course additional Victorque kickin into dere mode scenes, are always to my liking as well. I just can't do anything against a good tsundere, I always like them <3.
Yeah, as I said, it's an episode devoted to the main character's backstory and Victorique being cute. It worked, but my favorite parts of the series are the 'Grey Wolf' village arc and the part on the ship. But yeah, the end of the episode, where Victorique finally made up for some of how she'd treated him earlier in the episode, was nice.

Master Milk said:
Lotte's Toy 1
This isn't going to be like the manga, which likely means tons of fanservice and a weaker story.
Too bad. I probably wasn't going to watch anyway, but that sure doesn't help.

jman2050 said:
So Lotte's Toy is thrown in the "terrible adaptation of a terrible manga" along with everything else?
Sounds more like "worse than the manga" actually. The manga's actually not that bad, but not so much the anime apparently...

firehawk12 said:
Kampfer episode 12, which was the two Natsurus being married to each other or something. I treat the OVAs as something completely extra.
It is something extra, and who knows when it's supposed to happen, but it was pretty funny stuff, I have to admit...

With fantasy and science fiction, part of it comes down to people who are too focused on world building. It's usually why the opening of these things are rather inane to get through. You have to introduce all these names with apostrophes and consonants in them to make them sound alien and then go off on the mythology. Heck, even the first Ice and Fire book has this whole side story about a girl and her dragon eggs... which I'm sure pays off in book 5 or whatever, but I remember being so put off by those chapters (also, THE NORTH AND THE WINTER!!!!!). A lot of science fiction isn't much better.

As for Bradbury and Asimov, I really haven't revisited their stuff since high school... and as I've come to realize, most of what I liked when I was a teenager just doesn't hold up. I'm almost afraid to read their stuff now, lest I ruin my memory of their work.
Ray Bradbury is very good. Try his stuff again, both the stories and that TV series I mentioned too. I haven't read Azimov in quite a while either though, but he's certainly highly regarded in the genre...

As for your complaint there, some fantasy and sci-fi does a better job of world-building than others. Better stuff in either field (sci-fi in particular) can get pretty interesting with concepts of possible alien life. Some authors have really tried to make "realistic" aliens... many others don't, but some have. In fantasy sticking with the standard races is the most common thing, and since I love fantasy stuff I don't mind that, but still some at least have somewhat more original ideas, even if they're just modified elves and dwarves a lot of the time.

As for names though, I think fantasy names should be things that don't sound like "normal" human names. I expect that and like fantasy characters to have fantasy-style names. :) Aliens also, of course they should be different somehow... sure I guess sometimes it's silly, but not always.

As for side stories and stuff, yeah that one you mention in ASoIaF does sort of pay of (she's a regular character), but in a book it's easy to skip something, if you don't like it... in fantasy books which switch between multiple viewpoints from chapter to chapter, something very common in the genre, sometimes I will skip around to read all of the chapters for one character in order, or something, if I want to know what happens next without having to read several unrelated chapters first. That's easy to do in a book. :)

It can't help but be cheesy. It's funny though, with this pseudo-renaissance with all the Arthur-based shows. Just add sex, have some guys impale each other with swords, and boom, instant hit on your hands.
Really? I haven't noticed. What shows are you talking about? It does seem harder for fantasy shows to not be cheesy on TV, but it is kind of odd, it doesn't seem like it should be THAT hard to do a decent fantasy TV show... oh well.

Here's hoping the A Song of Ice and Fire project turns out good though. There's something quaint about imagining a 7 year fantasy television series on HBO.
Yeah, we'll see...

My copies of both the Sky Crawlers game and the BD are sealed. Sigh. :lol
You haven't watched it yet? You need to, experience the tedium for yourself!

firehawk12 said:
Hyperbole aside, ultimately I still have control over the fast forward button or the progress bar, so if something does catch my eye or if something important has happened, then I can go back and watch it.

But, like science fiction, I've seen enough war films and action films that I really don't need to see the beats anymore. Most directors of action recycle the same tropes that we've seen thousands of times - Chuck is the most horrible example of this - boring action combined with an extremely low budget. I can skip those because they literally contribute nothing to the show except to show the blonde girl fighting dudes.

Sometimes, action scenes can be thematic. Branaugh's Henry V has action scenes that are meant to evoke the dreariness of war whereas Olivier's version of the film uses the action scenes as propaganda to show the greatness of Britain's military heritage.
But even then, I can probably watch those scenes in fast forward and still get the jist of it without having to sit there and analyze every shot.

And, I'm serious when I consider comedy action an exception. Nichijou, Looney Toons, Jacky Chan films and so on... those are times when action itself becomes a narrative. Dramatic action hardly does that, mostly because they are (typically, admittedly) meant to be connectors between scenes.
Action's alright, but it is better when it has a point, and there's a decent plot. For instance, the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds remake was pretty bad because despite lots of great CG, there was no substance -- it was just all action and CG, the plot was terrible. As a result the movie really wasn't very good at all.

Also though I think that more action without purpose goes into things for younger audiences... though sure, some adults obviously like pointless action too. I have mixed feelings, sometimes I can watch it but other times I just am left so uninterested I turn it off. But I've never exactly been an action movie fan, though... never watched a Rambo or Rocky movie, for instance. And I think the only Schwarzenegger movie I watched in the '80s or '90s was Jingle all the Way...

Yup. And PowerDVD made it so easy to just loop the damn thing over and over again.
Bah, WinDVD is better. :)

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Shit, can someone help me find the official English dub of the K-ON! opening? I want to show my friend how utterly horrific it is.

Cwarrior

Kagari said:
Nothing really interesting this season for me... <_<

this season is still young but still pretty good with a lot promising shows so far

what have you watched from this season?

edit:

people are actual looking forward to the fma movie?(shounen anime movie lol)

didn't they learn there lesson from the last one

flawfuls

Yondemasu yo, Azazel-San

Well that was pretty funny just like the OVA. The half sized episode wasn't very satisfying though. Then again I'm already watching way too many shows this season so maybe it's a good thing the episodes are shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom