• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
We've already gone through the 'abuse by peers and authority figures' stage, which is very much like Cinderella, but Cinderella was resolved by the deus ex machina Fairy Godmother and none of the characters changed a whit during the story by virtue of it being a fairytale. What you're describing is a most likely outcome for the series, but not very much like Cinderella at all when all is said and done. :p
Although, if you want to be cheeky, you could say that Ohana's mom could end up playing the fairy godmother role in the story. But the metaphor is as stretched thin as it can be anyway. :lol

I've never seen Ristorante Paradiso, so I'm afraid that part of the comparison is lost on me.
You might as well watch it, since it's guuuuuud. Unlike, say, Seikon no Breast Milk 2!

I've never seen Maison Ikkoku, but it might be comparable to that as well? Insomuch as it takes place in a communal living space anyway.

Geneijin said:
Talking about when
Ohana had a nosebleed when talking to her mother and her mother's fiance.
Hrm. I don't remember that at all!

zeroshiki

So I realize this has jack to do with Animu but whatever, I got the recommendation from this thread anyways.

I watched Hanamizuki yesterday.

hanamizuki.jpg

I liked it. Its the bog standard Japanese Romance but it did its schtick well. Its standard but I like that it doesn't do the whole misunderstanding shit that's common to shoujo. We've got 2 people chasing their dreams that naturally lead away from each other and through that plus the general asshole-ness of circumstance, move them further apart. Its sad and you sorta feel for the characters because even if they want to be together, there's nothing they can do.

M_Night in this thread says that it reminds him of 5cm/s and I guess I could see it in the theme of separation and all the vista shots.

hanamizuki_wp1n.jpg

So, yeah, I feel like Jex with the bloggin. Its an ok movie. If you're in the mood for some sappy romance, go and watch it.

To tie this into anime/manga somehow, the main guy played Nakatsu in the live action Hanakimi. The main girl played one of the students in live action Dragonzakura.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
http://i.imgur.com/eMCPX.jpg[IMG]

I just hope it's only one of those classy moe moments they said they were doing, but it's nagging me like it could be a potential problem later.[/QUOTE]
Ahhh. You know, you might be right. I could see them going all melodrama with her needing some kind of emergency surgery and whatnot... and then the three generations of the family get together and have a nice therapeutic cry.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
Ahhh. You know, you might be right. I could see them going all melodrama with her needing some kind of emergency surgery and whatnot... and then the three generations of the family get together and have a nice therapeutic cry.
That's what I'm afraid of.

zeroshiki said:
Damn you all. I can't watch Iroha yet. I'm getting excited with all the screen grabs and discussion though :(
Haven't seen the first episode yet? My bad.

But I'll post these anyway of Ohana.

http://i.imgur.com/rbC8n.gif
http://i.imgur.com/RFqoW.gif
http://i.imgur.com/RTIB8.gif
http://i.imgur.com/BoDe0.gif

duckroll

There should be a dramatic plot twist in ep13 where Ohana dies. And the rest of the series will be about the other characters getting on with their lives without her around.

Iroha

Nice seeing her trying to deal with this and i see what Jexhius was saying (using her hotblooded shounen passion to deal with these odds).

Tooru's constant negative reinforcment and Ohana's stylin was too much in this ep for Minko to handle

:(

And i guess the guy is a ero book author then?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
There should be a dramatic plot twist in ep13 where Ohana dies. And the rest of the series will be about the other characters getting on with their lives without her around.
I suppose then the show could enter mono no aware mode. :lol

jman2050

duckroll said:

Didn't work for 8 Simple Rules, won't work for this show.

Yes I know that wasn't exactly in their control.

Geneijin

zeroshiki said:
I saw the first episode and loved it. I was more talking about episode 2 since it came out while I was asleep and I can't get to it now and need to wait until later before I can watch.
The screen grab on this page was from Episode 1. I haven't seen Episode 2 yet either.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jman2050 said:
Didn't work for 8 Simple Rules, won't work for this show.

Yes I know that wasn't exactly in their control.
Tamiyura took this premise and made it into a 4 episode OVA anyway.

Geneijin

duckroll said:
Bury that idea right now duckroll.

jman2050

Lafiel said:
Toradora 19 - So i guess I'm finally getting to the heavy "melodrama" portion of the series, i am surprised that there hasn't been much love triangle angst for this type of show, although judging from those last few minutes, i can see it going in that direction for a bit.

There is a triangle but... well it's kind of different from how they normally handle a situation like this.

7Th

Pros:
If Ohana dies, she won't be wondering what the fuck she is doing every 3 minutes.

Cons:
Chiaki Omigawa will upgraded to a protagonist role.

Cons overwhelm the pros. Killing Ohana is discarded.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
7Th said:
Pros:
If Ohana dies, she won't be wondering what the fuck she is doing every 3 minutes.

Cons:
Hey, that shy girl could step up to the plate!

duckroll

7Th said:
Pros:

Cons:

Cons overwhelm the pros. Killing Ohana is discarded.

What if in episode 13, there is a yakuza attack on the onsen, and all the girls are killed in the process? Then the remaining 13 episodes is a samurai revenge tale where the grandmother takes his prized family blade out from storage, and sets out on a bloodbath of vengeance.

jman2050

duckroll said:
What if in episode 13, there is a yakuza attack on the onsen, and all the girls are killed in the process? Then the remaining 13 episodes is a samurai revenge tale where the grandmother takes his prized family blade out from storage, and sets out on a bloodbath of vengeance.

That would instantly make me far far more interested in the show.

Risette

A Good Citizen
duckroll said:
You're right, it's not just a "con" but a deal breaker Practically everyone would stop watching the show at that point.
It would make me anticipate each episode even more! I love her voice :(

zeroshiki

duckroll said:

This reminds me of Kurosawa's High and Low. Not the actual plot. Just the tonal and genre shift in the middle.

flawfuls

Someone should make an official thread for Iroha, it certainly deserves one and it seems like it might actually generate enough discussion to warrant one

Hellsing321 said:
I never finished it but I remember liking it a lot. I don't really know why I didn't finish it.
Yeah me too. I've always intended to go back to it, but I keep forgetting it exists.

Branduil

Blooming Flowers ABC 02

I don't think it's been said enough what a horrible person her mother is. I mean it's bad enough the stuff she taught her daughter by her actions, but she explicitly teaches her poisonous philosophy too her as well.

Another very good episode, the character interactions are just so solidly written compared to the usual stuff.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
What if it turns out she was a ghost all along and this is a show about the grandmother trying to reconnect with the mother through Ohana's death!
I was thinking more along the lines of a 3-way custody battle.

Edit: Hitokage is a harbinger of bad news. I saw Evilore's thread just now ;(

duckroll

Branduil said:
Blooming Flowers ABC 02

I don't think it's been said enough what a horrible person her mother is. I mean it's bad enough the stuff she taught her daughter by her actions, but she explicitly teaches her poisonous philosophy too her as well.

Another very good episode, the character interactions are just so solidly written compared to the usual stuff.

Uui6P.jpg

duckroll said:
Freudian slip? I could totally see the grandmother doing that though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
You're giving me KEY flashbacks with the ghost girl talk, man. That's not nice!
It turns out Ohana is a tree!

Hey, I never volunteered myself to be the one to watch Seikon no Qwaser II! I was trying to suggest that someone else take that role. >_> <_< >_<

Maison Ikkoku is also guuuuud, you should watch it sometime. :p Damn, Ristorante Paradiso is only 11 episodes and it's about cooking. I'll be on it, stat.
Yeah, Maison on the other hand is 50 or 100 episodes, so... :p

(Also watch Antique Bakery, while you're at it!)

Geneijin said:
I was thinking more along the lines of a 3-way custody battle.
That's so mundane though!
And 3-way? Is daddy still around? I can't remember.

Edit: Hitokage is a harbinger of bad news. I saw Evilore's thread just now ;(
How do I convert my avatar into a non-animated one? :lol
At least we all have GAF hosting now.

Branduil

hosannainexcelsis said:
She's the lousiest mother I've seen without being actively abusive.
Her own mom has that part covered. Between the two of them Ohana has the worst parent figures of any child who wasn't actively molested!

trejo

Hanasaku Iroha 2

Still the best show this season. Ohana is so damn adorable and of course it helps that she's also a teensy bit crazy and unpredictable due to her mom's messed up upbringing. So good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom