• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
firehawk12 said:
Wow. I feel like I just got trolled by the Dog Days 2 lovers.

Damn you guys. :lol

After your opinion on action, I can't imagine you liking it.

Also, fanservice is expected and pretty much mandatory with a premise like this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cosmicblizzard said:
After your opinion on action, I can't imagine you liking it.

Also, fanservice is expected and pretty much mandatory with a premise like this.
I should just assume that he will have a harem of cats and dogs and humans by the end of the series then?

And yeah, lots of jumping around and patting people on the back. :lol

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
I thought I'd be watching cat girls fighting dog girls... not some weird arena battle with boobie-infused fanservice. :lol
It feels really odd to defend something I (sorta) trashed just a week ago. It's fluff, but there's a good sense of fun about the whole deal, which is only enhanced by the odd little setup about a war where no one actually dies. Of course if episode three sucks I'm bailing out ASAP.

And yeah, lots of jumping around and patting people on the back. :lol

Manly jumping around patting people on the back.

The fanservice came out of nowhere, though. It's like they decided that the last ten minutes needed something extra to bring in the fans.
tiff said:
2 is the perfect number of dimensions. Adding one more is like adding another chromosome.
One day, I'll find true wuv by ordering an overly expensive body pillow.

Dresden said:
It feels really odd to defend something I (sorta) trashed just a week ago. It's fluff, but there's a good sense of fun about the whole deal, which is only enhanced by the odd little setup about a war where no one actually dies. Of course if episode three sucks I'm bailing out ASAP.

The fanservice came out of nowhere, though. It's like they decided that the last ten minutes needed something extra to bring in the fans.

One day, I'll find true wuv by ordering an overly expensive body pillow.

lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
icarus-daedelus said:
I think my biggest complaint is how often the wacky comedy antics intrude upon the atmosphere of heavy surrealism. The monocle moments were clearly superior to the parts where it has to connect back to the tv show by necessity of being an actual Urusei Yatsura movie. *lights pipe*

Drop some of the Takahashi trappings and it'd be even awesomer, I bet. Then again, I suppose one could make the argument that the lighter base moments allow the surrealism to hit you like a ton of bricks once it does show up.

Damn, what a cool movie.
Any true monocle user would understand the context of the movie and know that Oshii did drop the Takahashi trappings. Hell, what do you expect for Oshii's first Oshii movie?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Well, as far as anime goes, it's fairly inoffensive at least. Maybe it'll be this season's Infinite Stratos.

icarus-daedelus said:
Angel Beatz~ is indeed as tonally schizophrenic as I was warned about. Instead of being a fun mix of action, comedy, and drama, like, say, Oh! Edo Rocket, it just kind of abruptly switches from one to the other with little grace and no ceremony. I may be terrible for this, but I honestly laughed at the scene in episode 2 where the girl recounts how she fell down the stairs and dropped the vase. It's too bad there was no snow around for her to be sad in.

However, compared to other KEY shit, it's really not that bad. It's at least kind of exciting during action scenes, albeit completely bloodless. It's gonna be a grind to finish the next 11 episodes, but I've seen much worse.
It's like they wanted to tell three different stories and decided to mash them up into one giant anime... complete with Lost-like existentialist ending.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
I think my biggest complaint is how often the wacky comedy antics intrude upon the atmosphere of heavy surrealism. The monocle moments were clearly superior to the parts where it has to connect back to the tv show by necessity of being an actual Urusei Yatsura movie. *lights pipe*
Wacky comedy is surreal.
Hitokage said:
Any true monocle user would understand the context of the movie and know that Oshii did drop the Takahashi trappings. Hell, what do you expect for Oshii's first Oshii movie?
He dropped those trappings down a drain somewhere, unlike the first movie.

Steroyd

thetechkid said:
So I'm confused, is the first episode of Toriko the crossover special or is everyone just really bad with naming episodes?

I know it's counted as One Piece episode 492 and given the preview for the next episode it looks like it was also Toriko episode 1, they couldn't try to confuse you more if they tried.

/XX/

Nonoriri said:
So good, and they're actually releasing them at a much faster pace than I expected. Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory (PHL) and Panasonic Authoring Center Roppongi (PACR) are certainly doing a spectacular work with the encoding and authoring.

Infinite Justice said:
There was gonna be a new Abenobashi ep? Interesting
Yeah, Hiroyuki Yamaga himself made the announcement during FanimeCon 2009, where he was (as usual) invited (http://webdev.fanime.com/stage/guests.html#HiroyukiYAMAGA) to make a panel about the production of Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann. Some time ago, it was rumored that the new special was a commemorative project to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the studio, and that as part of the special the Abenobashi Mahō Shōtengai main characters could travel to the different parallel worlds of other famous GAiNAX works (like in certain erotic 'dōjinshi' already published). This was debunked at that time by Takami Akai, saying they didn't even thought of doing something special for the studio's anniversary and also that they didn't wanted to start the production of a new Abenobashi Mahō Shōtengai special until Tomo Saeki (voice of 'Sasshi' in the Japanese version) has recovered from her illness completely:

http://www.gainax.fr/index.php?opti...-2009-interview-exclusive&catid=37&Itemid=227

Uchip

Banned
tiff said:
Well, I already have a pillow cover so I'm half way there!

lol
they had them in ufo catchers and vending machines in akihabara
along with the strangest thing ive ever seen
plushes of the bottom half of female maids...
I have pics of very strange things if anyone is interested

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hitokage said:
Yeah, let's not forget that Oshii had already established his own take on Urusei Yatsura by then.
If we use Charlie Sheen as a barometer, is Urusei Yatsura Oshii's Two and a Half Men and Beautiful Dreamers is his version of "winning!"?

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Tiger and Bunny is gonna turn out to be the better superhero anime. No one tell duckroll, he ll be heart broken. :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
firehawk12 said:
If we use Charlie Sheen as a barometer, is Urusei Yatsura Oshii's Two and a Half Men and Beautiful Dreamers is his version of "winning!"?
You could say that, because he also left Urusei Yatsura after doing Beautiful Dreamer, but that makes it sound like his run of the TV show was forgettable.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hitokage said:
You could say that, because he also left Urusei Yatsura after doing Beautiful Dreamer, but that makes it sound like his run of the TV show was forgettable.

I suppose doing 100+ episodes of something is enough to make anyone insane.

Jex

Hitokage said:
He took his ball and went home because when he unleashed his full Oshii-ness it was too much for everyone else to handle.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Hanasaku iroha 2 - Yes even with the lowered production values and weaker animation quality the show is still as good as ever.

All is good in the world.

I want more.;_;

jman2050 said:
So Lotte's Toy is thrown in the "terrible adaptation of a terrible manga" along with everything else?
No, because it's not a terrible manga.

It's not going to be a faithful adaptation, but it's too early to call it terrible. At most it'll probably end up being an average show.

NewFresh

Nichijou Ep 2
Who does the jumping rope gag make me laugh so much?
Hana-saku Iroha Ep 2
Managing to keep up the drama that it established in ep 1. Seems like my show of the season so far

Jex

Mhmm, classic Oshii interviews:
The movies I make follow a particular pattern, and at the start they begin with something like a prediction, or revelation, or conclusion, and at the end of the movie it becomes realised. This falls into one of the core narrative structures of the Bible, where a prophecy is made and later fulfilled. I personally think movie making should be something like that.
He already sounds confused by "that darn youth" in 1996.

thetechkid

Steroyd said:
I know it's counted as One Piece episode 492 and given the preview for the next episode it looks like it was also Toriko episode 1, they couldn't try to confuse you more if they tried.

So
Toriko Ep1: OP Ep 492/Crossover
Toriko Ep2: Toriko Ep1

Why do that?

jman2050

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Steroyd

jman2050 said:
Woah

woah

Back the HELL up.

Okay whoever did this needs to fess up now.

Ha you didn't change it? And you're noticing it now?

Damn should have questioned you about your avatar change days ago lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom