• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
jman2050 said:
High school sucked. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn't old enough yet.
Not everyone was on the wrong end of douchebag scorn like us, pal.

K-ON!! 26
Play 'em off Keyboard Azu-nyan!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
No... the one that's actually set in the 60s. :lol

Ah, "Showa Monogatari". With all the crap that people "pick up", leaving this one seems like a shame.
I'd imagine the show really isn't worth watching anyway, it's probably no different from the random soap operas that air on national daytime television.:)

flawfuls

7Th said:

Thanks. I'll try watching it in Japanese. I'm not sure how well that will go, but I've got nothing to lose by trying. Is there only one episode?

Lafiel said:
I'd imagine the show really isn't worth watching anyway, it's probably no different from the random soap operas that air on national daytime television.:)

I took a look at the raw a while back and it looked like a pretty decent slice of life anime.

7Th

flawfuls said:
Thanks. I'll try watching it in Japanese. I'm not sure how well that will go, but I've got nothing to lose by trying. Is there only one episode?

I'm honestly not sure.

flawfuls said:
Its not that hard to follow its a pretty straight forward story.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
7Th said:
I'm honestly not sure.
The ANN story says it's a one shot?

Lafiel said:
Tanabe defense force assemble!
Boo you! :lol
That said, on the scale of super positive girls, Akari > Tanabe. Probably because Akari doesn't have to try to convince a grumpy old man about the power of love.

jman2050 said:
Sudden serenity and relief?

Not that working is any better but at least you get reimbursed for that.
I didn't exactly love high school, but I realized that I was transitioning from one period of my life to another anyhoo.

hellclerk

K-ON!! 27
I am disappoint. I guess we know what they're doing for the movie now then. :p

Seriously though, really great series about life in a high school band. I do hope they have a season 3 to follow them into college. I'd like to see if they're able to graduate up to the experience of playing and gigging on a higher level of play.

jman2050

zeroshiki said:
Your parents paid you to go to college?

I didn't go to college?

doomed1 said:
Not everyone was on the wrong end of douchebag scorn like us, pal.

Nah it wasn't like that. I went about my business, going out with friends sometimes, going to school functions/events, people generally left me alone when I wanted to be, and just went through each boring easy class to the next.

I mean, there were some fun times and all sprinkled in about but it's all pretty forgettable and nothing is worth getting nostalgic over.

doomed1 said:
K-ON!! 27
I am disappoint. I guess we know what they're doing for the movie now then. :p

Seriously though, really great series about life in a high school band. I do hope they have a season 3 to follow them into college. I'd like to see if they're able to graduate up to the experience of playing and gigging on a higher level of play.

well the manga version of this is confirmed so i don't see the anime being too far behind

hellclerk

jman2050 said:
Nah it wasn't like that. I went about my business, going out with friends sometimes, going to school functions/events, people generally left me alone when I wanted to be, and just went through each boring easy class to the next.

I mean, there were some fun times and all sprinkled in about but it's all pretty forgettable and nothing is worth getting nostalgic over.
But... then why are you saying that high school sucked? I mean, I have my reasons, and I definitely had my high points, it just tends to be malaised over with a bunch of other people's stupid shit. Only thing is that I really ended high school with more anxiety and uncertainty than happiness, sadness, or anything like that. It didn't suck, I just had alot of annoying shit happen over those years.

Infinite Justice said:
well the manga version of this is confirmed so i don't see the anime being too far behind
Oh joy. I just really hope it's not the same old HS crap. There's alot of material with college bands though, because they tend to be of the gigging variety, like they'll go out and play shows beyond school grounds. Hilarities of selling tickets, playing at parties, figuring out what to wear for shows, and just being proactive in the music scene is all great material.

Whatever form K-ON!!! takes, I'm going to have VERY high expectations, which is usually rare for me, but this is starting to tread into my territory. I want to see some good humor from it...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
K-On Asuza-edition and K-On the College Years are both going to be terribad. I'm going to assume that if an anime happens, it will be bad as well.

Dresden

Enjoying Tweeny Witches.

<insert verbiage>
zeroshiki said:
Awww... you didn't have to delete it.

Sorry, I was trying to make a lame joke.
No, I'm just uncomfortable with angsty livejournal stuff on the webz. It's dumb.

Geneijin

Instro said:
Yeah I watched the first ep earlier, standard harem stuff. The kid brother has a nice hat though and the show has a monkey so thats pretty okay I guess.
Perhaps a bit too standard. Not sure if I have it within me to continue when I already have Ore-tachi Tsubasa this season. Ore-tachi Tsubasa is bad at the moment, but it's a failure I want to see considering the game spoilers I've read.

Edit: Oh right, the monkey is going to be an ongoing thing? :lol

firehawk12 said:
With all the crap that people pick up, leaving this one seems like a shame.
Same thing I said about Mari & Gali and Souten Kouro. At least Souten Kouro got picked up again after another long stall, but Mari & Gali has been stalled for months.

zeroshiki

I'd be interested in World Masterpiece Theater stuff but those never get picked up.

NHK and Saturday/Sunday morning anime are quite interesting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
Same thing I said about Mari & Gali and Souten Kouro. At least Souten Kouro got picked up again after another long stall, but Mari & Gali has been stalled for months.
I thought I saw someone doing Mari and Gali but I guess they stopped again. Dope.

zeroshiki said:
I'd be interested in World Masterpiece Theater stuff but those never get picked up.

NHK and Saturday/Sunday morning anime are quite interesting.
That too, although someone is doing some of the older WMT stuff.

hellclerk

firehawk12 said:
K-On Asuza-edition and K-On the College Years are both going to be terribad. I'm going to assume that if an anime happens, it will be bad as well.
Ooooo... harsh... Anything to go on? I can see at least ship-teasing as a problem with K-On Uni (I actually kind of hope it is. Four apparently attractive girls in a band? Guys would be on that like white on rice. It'd start to annoy me if they ignored this), but anything else besides a dislike of K-On in general informing this?
I can never remember who likes K-On and who doesn't!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Someone in this thread has been watching Dog of Flanders. That's awesome. I grew up with WMT stuff.
I really want to watch the new Anne of Green Gables one.

doomed1 said:
Ooooo... harsh... Anything to go on? I can see at least ship-teasing as a problem with K-On Uni (I actually kind of hope it is. Four apparently attractive girls in a band? Guys would be on that like white on rice. It'd start to annoy me if they ignored this), but anything else besides a dislike of K-On in general informing this?
I can never remember who likes K-On and who doesn't!
They're going to an all girl college, so you don't need to worry about that. :p
Unless Mugi discovers her inner lily or something.

I just think the premise of covering the 3 year high school period to be fairly perfect. The idea of spinning it off into two new projects is sort of when they enter Call of Duty territory.

I guess I don't objectively hate it. I just assume it'll be horrible. I guess the flip side would be that we might actually get a good college-age anime out of it, which is a rarity these days.

duckroll said:
This show is going to be amazing. No one knows what to expect, and for better or for worse there will be something to talk about. Lol.
AnoHana FTW.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Thanks bro, I remember reading this at one point but I'd forgotten it. Reinforces my point, really.
He was trying to max out his Christianity at one point, but ending up making anime. It's the usual story.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Dresden said:
http://www.noitamina-control.jp/

Looks like C's opening is out. Demo movie > top video.

e: looks like it'll be about a man, his loli, and his lightsaber. Whee~

The opening actually got me more interested in the show than the PVs - it has some cool political imagery and stuff which i expect will play into the themes of the series!

The characters still make it look like some generic shonen action anime though. Wonder if it's intentionally deceptive in that sense? considering the director.

Dresden

Lafiel said:
The characters still make it look like some generic shonen action anime though. Wonder if it's intentionally deceptive in that sense? considering the director.
The lightsaber stuff is probably a visual metaphor for FIERCE FINANCIAL BATTLES or something. Dunno. My hype is slowly rising though.

Jex

flawfuls said:
Well the WMT stuff usually gets partly subbed, but they tend to be really long so they usually don't get finished.
Somebody call Central Anime!
Branduil said:
That makes sense, given Catholicism's millennia of refining of dramatic symbolism and imagery. He'd have a deep well to draw from there.
When directors are heavily influenced by Catholicism it certainly leaves a lasting impression e.g. Scorsese.
InfiniteNine said:
That would be detrimental to our true feelings of this "tanned Azu-nyan" and her purpose as a pander-bait character with no real defining features aside from physical attractiveness to the viewers at large. Throw away characters getting some spotlight by appealing to the fanbase with some service needs to be broken down into the why, when, and how of the narrative for maximum effect.
You mean, S2's protagonist!

zeroshiki

duckroll said:
This show is going to be amazing. No one knows what to expect, and for better or for worse there will be something to talk about. Lol.

The mass self immolations when it sucks will be a sight to behold.

Dresden

There's only a single thing to click. >.> Just disable noscript for the site and the option will pop up.

Although a youtube rip should be out soon.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Translation: the music in Infinite Ryvius is hella annoying and cringeworthy.
It didn't bother me at all. Maybe you need to, you know, learn to love rather than learn to hate.

hellclerk

firehawk12 said:
They're going to an all girl college, so you don't need to worry about that. :p
Unless Mugi discovers her inner lily or something.

I just think the premise of covering the 3 year high school period to be fairly perfect. The idea of spinning it off into two new projects is sort of when they enter Call of Duty territory.

I guess I don't objectively hate it. I just assume it'll be horrible. I guess the flip side would be that we might actually get a good college-age anime out of it, which is a rarity these days.
Heheh, good point, but college is a different beast than high school. That Sakura HS could easily restrict access to its campus, so contact with boys would be made more difficult, but things get more complicated with college campuses and how open they can be, along with differing attitudes concerning interactions between the sexes.

I mean sure, colleges put on shows, but those sorts of things lead to external word of mouth which leads to external shows. If they don't do more than "Like HS, but with dorms!" I'll be profoundly disappointed. The closest thing to music anime having a college-style band is BECK, and that show sucks because of how it seemed shoehorned onto a high school setting with unreasonable ends.

And as for K-On: Azu Edition, that could go either way for me. What's nice is that the character jokes will be new because of a new group dynamic. I'm interested in where it goes. Any anime made well would be a good mix&match of both continuities with crossover as necessary.

Dresden

Watched C's opening about three times in a row, I'm convinced now that it'll be the greatest anime ever made.

Now to get some booze to complete the delusion...

Branduil said:
I don't like anybody who writes irritating analysis about how the author is a horrible bigot for writing their book the way they did. Now, if you can write analysis about how the writing works, or doesn't work, how the characterization was effective, what techniques and devices were used, and why, then I don't really care if you're a commienazi or a purple dinosaur.
You're like the Harold Bloom of the animu thread. Cantankerous dude.

zeroshiki

Dresden said:
Watched C's opening about three times in a row, I'm convinced now that it'll be the greatest anime ever made.

Now to get some booze to complete the delusion...

Well you seem drunk enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom