• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
I thought it was sweet and endearing.

Now what?
Now you stalk each other at conferences and try to trip each other up by asking impossible questions in an effort to embarrass each other in public.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
flawfuls said:
And here you go.

panties.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
This... terrifies me...

[B]K-ON!! 17[/B]
Very good episode. Part of it reminds me on how precious practice space for bands really is, and the other part was just some great character development from Yui of all people. Good stuff, very heartwarming. :3

Risette

A Good Citizen
firehawk12 said:
And this is when a pair of sunglasses drops down onto the thread and someone says "deal with it".
HB0Ho.gif

(magically slides onto?)

Geneijin

7Th said:
I'm not asking for "academic discussion"; I'm asking for at least this:

"The loli-scientist and clumsy robot scene in Nichijou 2 was fucking boring because it dragged a very simple and elementary joke for too long yet provided no extra character insight or interesting visuals to actually justify its extension. They wasted too much time making the loli-scientist give absolutely unfunny, non-sensical answers to the complaints of the robot girl and then they wasted even more time showing the characters SLOWLY eating pastry and drinking milk in the most straightforwardly shot scene possible as if showing them eating pastry and eating milk was, by itself, something genuinely fun or interesting."

...instead of this:

"The loli-scientist and clumsy robot scenes in Nichijou are fucking boring."
It shouldn't be expected of anyone unless they want to. I wouldn't mind more discussion, but when I'm writing my episode impressions, I have to ask myself if I really want to write something more fitting as a blog post than a forum post that will intrude the thread more than enlighten. Besides, I lack the savvy the terminology to pinpoint my criticisms in an easier fashion.

doomed1 said:
This... terrifies me...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...ni-tsubasa-wa-nai-panties-design-contest-held

Branduil

Hitokage said:
The real sin of the Infinite Ryvius score is that the best track was omitted from all three soundtrack albums.
This happens too often with Kanno OSTs as well.

Which track did they omit?

7Th

I remember very vividly that the reason I watched Ryvius in the first place was that Bepbo and dead praised it highly a few years ago; I'm sure at least Bepbo specifically mentioned that its use of music was one of the greatest achievements of the show. It's weird that I don't remember the OST at all yet I remember the praise Bepbo, and maybe dead, awarded it with.

7Th

icarus-daedelus said:
Do you remember anything else about it? Because I'm finding the show to be fairly unremarkable on the whole, tbh. :/

I remember that it had quite a few unintentionally funny Sunrise-style "dramatic breakdown" faces.

Geneijin

Hitokage said:
The real sin of the Infinite Ryvius score is that the best track was omitted from all three soundtrack albums.
Not like there haven't been any other sinners. Fantastic Children didn't release the best arrangement of Voyage without the vocals, and Glass Fleet didn't include the song that plays during the ballroom scene in its 2-disc OST. And I guess Tenten's theme in Naruto before someone brings that up.

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
Feminists on drugs.
Must resist punchline...

icarus-daedelus said:
Do you remember anything else about it? Because I'm finding the show to be fairly unremarkable on the whole, tbh. :/

Really? You must introduce me to these other sci-fi anime with themes taken from Lord of the Flies.

hosannainexcelsis said:
It's all about reading from the text instead of into the text. Schools of literary analysis which start from an agenda - be it feminism, Marxism, whatever - and read that into everything annoy me. But literary analysis which takes apart the text and carefully examines the meaning of each word and how they fit with each other can be very enjoyable.

Well, there is merit in at least understanding the various schools of literary analysis, and knowing when they can be applied. I agree that people who try and read a certain agenda into anything they analyze aren't being particularly helpful to anyone.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Odd question, but what would be considered a good post then? In terms of length and quality. Not directed towards anymore, since I've been thinking a bit about how to improve my own.

Branduil

One of the best Arjuna tracks never made it onto the OSTs. Which is unfortunate because it means you can only listen to it while watching the show.

flawfuls

Branduil said:
Really? You must introduce me to these other sci-fi anime with themes taken from Lord of the Flies.

Uninhabited Planet Survive!

Well not in in the same way as Infinite Ryvius, but it's an island survival story.

Geneijin

Hitokage said:
The bigger offenders are omitted tracks not found in the OST but stuffed into drama CDs or a seiyuu song-collection album personally.

Edit: Might as well. Example Ouran High School Host Club.

La Valse Pour Orchestra (the piece that plays near the end of Episode 26).
Nocturne pour Tamaki (the piano piece Tamaki always plays)

Both stuffed in a seiyuu song album. Ugh.

Cowie said:
I'm a little baffled by all the Nichijou negativity.

I think you people are just afraid of this show.

afraid.
Yeah... all the Nichijou hate makes just as much sense as the degree of K-On love here does... that is, it doesn't make sense.

(The two aren't that similar though, Nichijou's a comedy, unlike K-On.)

Nichijou vs. Lucky Star is harder, they're both comedies from KyoAni so they certainly can be compared, but I think it's too early to say which one will be better, Nichijou's still early.

7Th said:
I'm not asking for "academic discussion"; I'm asking for at least this:

"The loli-scientist and clumsy robot scene in Nichijou 2 was fucking boring because it dragged a very simple and elementary joke for too long yet provided no extra character insight or interesting visuals to actually justify its extension. They wasted too much time making the loli-scientist give absolutely unfunny, non-sensical answers to the complaints of the robot girl and then they wasted even more time showing the characters SLOWLY eating pastry and drinking milk in the most straightforwardly shot scene possible as if showing them eating pastry and eating milk was, by itself, something genuinely fun or interesting."

...instead of this:

"The loli-scientist and clumsy robot scenes in Nichijou are fucking boring."
Bah, the robot and child scientist scenes are pretty good. I think they've all been funny, and they make each one weird and unexpected in some way, which is great. :)

JKTrix

shintoki said:
Decided to catch up on Gundam Unicorn. Isn't it supposed to be a 6 OVA series? I'm confused at how they are planning to wrap it up.
We're only halfway through, the episodes are an hour each, and the source material it's based on (novels) ended about a year before the first episode released. I'm sure they have a plan!
/XX/ said:
Anything, anywhere anytime.
Just wanted to say, I love your posts.

Also: how Wandering Son should have ended
CP3ka.jpg

Just...the other way around.

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:
Now you stalk each other at conferences and try to trip each other up by asking impossible questions in an effort to embarrass each other in public.

Or I post a gif of head turd and run away.

Head-turd.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
shintoki said:
Odd question, but what would be considered a good post then? In terms of length and quality. Not directed towards anymore, since I've been thinking a bit about how to improve my own.
I would guess it depends on what you want to achieve with your posts more than anything else?

Steroyd said:

Head-turd.gif
Delicious buns are delicious.

Geneijin

tiff said:
So what pairs won?
I can't read the staff credits so I wouldn't know. I'm sure someone will compile a list eventually :lol

shintoki said:
Be clear and concise as you can be.

hellclerk

firehawk12 said:
It's funny because it assumes true love exists? ;)
No, it's because everyone's just GODDAMNED FUCKING MORON. And I refuse to believe that Shakespeare wouldn't have noticed. Nihil novi sub soli (plus all the great dirty jokes), I got the impression that Shakespeare was making fun of his source material more than he was taking from it.

But that's a different discussion for a different thread...

Steroyd said:

Head-turd.gif
Right click-save as

firehawk12

Subete no aware
doomed1 said:
No, it's because everyone's just GODDAMNED FUCKING MORON. And I refuse to believe that Shakespeare wouldn't have noticed. Nihil novi sub soli (plus all the great dirty jokes), I got the impression that Shakespeare was making fun of his source material more than he was taking from it.

But that's a different discussion for a different thread...
But that's where the tragedy comes from... and the dirty jokes were meant to please the plebes watching for the cheap (yet better, by modern standards) seats.

doomed1 said:
K-ON!! 18
Romeo and Juliet arcs are my favorite. Shakespeare's greatest comedy! :D
I'll agree with you there. Romeo meets Juliet and suddenly they get married the next morning? Come on. A shallow relationship like that is doomed to failure before it even begins.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Steins;Gate Episode 02:
Kinda wishing they would go slower with this. They are skipping over some very detailed information outlined in the VN, and this is going to make it pretty confusing to those who haven't read the game. This isn't exactly bad, but it's kinda sad to see all that work that went into the story get glossed over. It was genuinely interesting with real explanations and theories for time travel and stuff.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
icarus-daedelus said:
So, been watching some more Infinite Ryvius lately, and I've decided that the creators, whomever they may be, are not completely incompetent at matching music to the tone of a particular scene; they're just bad at doing this with nontraditional soundtrack music, as in the light trip-hop/hip-hop that pervades most of the series and tends to step all over whatever mood they're trying to achieve in a given scene.

There are scenes here and there where classical instruments (the de facto choice for scoring film and television) are used in a traditional manner to support the scene they're in, such as the sad violins at the beginning of episode 19, which work in exactly the way you'd expect. Typical, but effective.

I think the main counter example that comes to mind for me when using music fer young'uns in an effective, nontraditional way is the drum 'n' bass score to Boogiepop Phantom, where it reinforces the fractured setup of the narrative and the dark tone of the series.

Translation: the music in Infinite Ryvius is hella annoying and cringeworthy.

I started watching IR recently as well, I'm up to episode 8 now.

Question:
Does the insanely dumb drama between the 2 brothers end anytime soon? It's immensely annoying when they just scream empty words at each other and fight for a bit.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
icarus-daedelus said:
I'm at episode 19 or 20, and so far
nope. They take the focus off of it *eventually* but it's still annoying as hell for the majority of what I've seen.

Oh god..

Hitokage, when does this get good? :(

So far it's been just a giant mystery-wank. Mysteries left and right. Who are the good and bad guys? Who the fuck is Blue? What happened to the brothers in the past? Or Ikumi? What the fuck is a Bratica?

AND WHO THE HELL IS THE MAGIC GIRL

hellclerk

firehawk12 said:
But that's where the tragedy comes from... and the dirty jokes were meant to please the plebes watching for the cheap (yet better, by modern standards) seats.
There's a point at which tragedy becomes farce, and R&J definitely crossed that line. I made a direct comparison to A Mid Summer Night's Dream and my VERY traditionalist Shakespeare prof thought the idea was a piece of fridge brilliance. Really, the play has more in common with Much Ado About Nothing and The Merchant of Venice than Macbeth and Othello.

Speaking of which:

K-ON!! 19
Yui's Roles = BEST ROLES (Trees mutha' fukka's!). And that sleepover took me back too. So many all nighters trying to figure shit out for the band, having more ambition than talent... :3

InfiniteNine said:
Steins;Gate Episode 02:
Kinda wishing they would go slower with this. They are skipping over some very detailed information outlined in the VN, and this is going to make it pretty confusing to those who haven't read the game. This isn't exactly bad, but it's kinda sad to see all that work that went into the story get glossed over. It was genuinely interesting with real explanations and theories for time travel and stuff.
I'll wait until I can read the VN then.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Finished up on Honey and Clover. Complaints are still the same as before. It could have been something much better if Hagu wasn't Hagu. Not just a horribly off putting design, but zero personality through out the series. Another major complaint was how every character acted like a 10 year old boy when it came to love. I understand it's part of the story, but year+ long one sided crushes got annoying.

hellclerk

K-ON!! 20
Man Tear for the last great
high school
performance of Houkage Tea Time.

Shit... now I feel like back when we had the award ceremony for the fencing team my senior year... and they handed the plaques and swords to the captains. I nearly just broke down there...

Okay, enough reminiscing about the golden shining moments of my shitty, shitty high school years. This show is REALLY making me itch to practice with my band...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Steins;Gate: I'm not sure what this series is trying to do. Is it a comedy, or a drama, or what. Shit makes no sense.

At least I knew what Eden was about after the first episode: Johnnies

Cwarrior

Steins;Gate ep2
Talk about confusing I’ve got like hundred questions but few answers, but still good watch.
We where talk about gender bender surprise few pages ago, now we got one that looks and acts like a girl but really is a boy and has a crush on okarin whatever his real name is.

I find the nerd jokes quite funny since it fits perfectly on gaf( mai wafu), they really got nerd boy down to a T, feels like they read gaf.

Banana plot twist ending mmm me love bananas

it’s really something i would rather watch in chunks then wait an entire week for answers, the anticipation too much.

With all these girls being introduce am bit worried it will turn into a harem?

Questions i have
What’s the secret move cat girl mastered?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Halycon said:
Steins;Gate: I'm not sure what this series is trying to do. Is it a comedy, or a drama, or what. Shit makes no sense.

At least I knew what Eden was about after the first episode: Johnnies
It's pretty confusing when they are skipping and rushing through a lot of content. The story for the most part is drama with some comedy bits thrown in between the everyday stuff.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was very disappointed at how the art turned out considering the official work I found while making the banner.

It's like Lain all over again.

:(

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Halycon said:
I was very disappointed at how the art turned out considering the official work I found while making the banner.

It's like Lain all over again.

:(
That isn't concept work for the anime it's artwork for the VN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom