• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Do you remember anything else about it? Because I'm finding the show to be fairly unremarkable on the whole, tbh. :/
Osaka said:
Oh god..

Hitokage, when does this get good? :(
I've diagnosed the problem. You just have bad taste.

Maybe you need more airplane carp?

See, no argument required!
Hitokage said:
Haha, that's actually the biggest problem with IR. The younger brother is a dick for no reason and he's an incurable dick at that.
That's like, the only problem. Although eventually it just became hilarious.

flawfuls

Lafiel said:
The opening actually got me more interested in the show than the PVs - it has some cool political imagery and stuff which i expect will play into the themes of the series!

The characters still make it look like some generic shonen action anime though. Wonder if it's intentionally deceptive in that sense? considering the director.

Yeah it does look like a shouneny action show, but that doesn't really worry me. I think a Kenji Nakamura/Noitamina take on that type of show would be awesome. What is disappointing is that it just lacks the visual flare that Nakamura's other shows did.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
The [C] opening looks like a Darker Than Black style action show, but with money...

I'm not really into getting trolled again...

Jex

Lafiel said:
Tanabe defense force assemble!
Well, at least it's better than a Minmay defence force.
firehawk12 said:
K-On Asuza-edition and K-On the College Years are both going to be terribad. I'm going to assume that if an anime happens, it will be bad as well.
I think we have to wait for the first episode or staff list to call that!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
doomed1 said:
Heheh, good point, but college is a different beast than high school. That Sakura HS could easily restrict access to its campus, so contact with boys would be made more difficult, but things get more complicated with college campuses and how open they can be, along with differing attitudes concerning interactions between the sexes.

I mean sure, colleges put on shows, but those sorts of things lead to external word of mouth which leads to external shows. If they don't do more than "Like HS, but with dorms!" I'll be profoundly disappointed. The closest thing to music anime having a college-style band is BECK, and that show sucks because of how it seemed shoehorned onto a high school setting with unreasonable ends.

And as for K-On: Azu Edition, that could go either way for me. What's nice is that the character jokes will be new because of a new group dynamic. I'm interested in where it goes. Any anime made well would be a good mix&match of both continuities with crossover as necessary.
The 4koma has the "boys will ruin the atmosphere" thing that is common to that kind of strip, so I can't imagine anything will change. It'll be the same series of gags, but updated to a new context. (The girls try beer for the first time! Wow!)
Really, the only thing they can do is recycle the Yui storyline of the first season and have them go through "first year hype".

I have to imagine that the Azusa strip will just be more Jun/Ui jokes with random Sawako appearances.

Jexhius said:
I think we have to wait for the first episode or staff list to call that!
Unless it's going into the noitanimA slot, I'll just assume no one can save it.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
The 4koma has the "boys will ruin the atmosphere" thing that is common to that kind of strip, so I can't imagine anything will change. It'll be the same series of gags, but updated to a new context. (The girls try beer for the first time! Wow!)
Really, the only thing they can do is recycle the Yui storyline of the first season and have them go through "first year hype".

I have to imagine that the Azusa strip will just be more Jun/Ui jokes with random Sawako appearances.
They apparently toss in three new girls for college, so at least one of them should be able to indulge Moogi's bi-curious urges.

zeroshiki

Its gonna be by KyoAni and its K-On. It will be marvelously animated and moe. And it will sell more than all the noiaminA shows ever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
They apparently toss in three new girls for college, so at least one of them should be able to indulge Moogi's bi-curious urges.
Mugi's gotta moog. Maybe she'll get them to hit her in new ways. :p

I wonder what three instruments they can introduce though. Maybe they'll add that triangle to the band.

zeroshiki said:
Its gonna be by KyoAni and its K-On. It will be marvelously animated and moe. And it will sell more than all the noiaminA shows ever.
Such is the way of the world!

Jex

zeroshiki said:
And the Dragonball: Evolution live action movie will gross more in the US than every other anime film combined.

Oh wait, it already did.

Jexhius said:
And the Dragonball: Evolution live action movie will gross more in the US than every other anime film combined.

Oh wait, it already did.

Pretty sure Speed Racer did better.

Edit: Oh, you don't mean live action anime films. Well, there's still Pokemon and other stuff.

zeroshiki

Jexhius said:

Oh wait, it already did.

It did? WTF?

Its not comparable though. DB:E was a steaming turd from the word go. Pretty much all fans of Dragonball hated it. K-On!!! is most likely gonna be more of the same and thus appeal to the same group.

It knows what its about and its damn good at it.

Toriko 1:
Aka 2011's manliest show.

Good first episode, and a pretty good adaptation. I like how they introduced a bit of foreshadowing for the future plot that wasn't present in the manga, and there weren't any slow points in the episode at all. My only complaints are that Komatsu's voice is off and I wish the art didn't look so clean.

Still, they did a good job setting up the series and the first episode had good action and comedy. I'm looking forward to seeing later chapters from when the manga is much better get animated.

hellclerk

firehawk12 said:
Oh please, they pull more extended narrative out of those 4koma's than they have any right to. Plus, those sorts of jokes could come up through alternate channels, see: second hand information, "OMG, was Mio just talking to that boy over there!", extensions of that, etc. Boys don't actually have to make a characterized appearance, but their lack of "existence" kinda kills some of the more realistic and grounded parts of the show. I hate ship-teasing as much as the next guy, but you can only ignore their existence for so long, plus it's FANTASTIC material for gags.

I have to imagine that the Azusa strip will just be more Jun/Ui jokes with random Sawako appearances..
Don't forget whatever freshmen they bring in!

Dresden

So I finished the second episode of Steins;Gate... I want to like Steins;Gate, but at this point it's been nothing but a series of character introductions strung along with the occasional infodump shoved in here and there. And when Okabe isn't meeting some weird girl with an annoying gimmick he's just tripping out everywhere, which was amusing at first but gets old really fast. He's pretty much just weird for the sake of being weird, although there's presumably a dark and tragic past behind it, along with an explanation for why the vapid-moe girl is so fucking dumb. Pretty much none of the characters that we've seen enough to form an opinion about are likable and the others range from dull to annoying, with the latter being reserved for that nyan-nyan girl.

The show keeps throwing how mysterious this time travel shit is in my face but really I'm just bored by it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I think Steins;gate is the first show I'm dropping this season, I'll just wait for the inevitable fan-translation of the VN.

Considering Steins;gate anime supposedly cuts stuff from the VN, watching the anime would spoil the experience.

hellclerk

Jexhius said:

Oh wait, it already did.
Fuck you, there's Miyazaki Films. And you can't say he doesn't count either!

firehawk12 said:
Mugi's gotta moog. Maybe she'll get them to hit her in new ways. :p

I wonder what three instruments they can introduce though. Maybe they'll add that triangle to the band.
You DO realize people can have friends outside of their bands, right? They're probably there to provide the same sort of narrative balance that Azu, Ui, and Jun gave.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
doomed1 said:
Oh please, they pull more extended narrative out of those 4koma's than they have any right to. Plus, those sorts of jokes could come up through alternate channels, see: second hand information, "OMG, was Mio just talking to that boy over there!", extensions of that, etc. Boys don't actually have to make a characterized appearance, but their lack of "existence" kinda kills some of the more realistic and grounded parts of the show. I hate ship-teasing as much as the next guy, but you can only ignore their existence for so long, plus it's FANTASTIC material for gags.
I think the internet exploded when they thought Ritsu had a boyfriend or something... so yeah, that's not going to happen unless kakifly or whomever wants to troll the readership. Nerds are too predictable.

Don't forget whatever freshmen they bring in!
More moe moe kyun!

doomed1 said:
You DO realize people can have friends outside of their bands, right? They're probably there to provide the same sort of narrative balance that Azu, Ui, and Jun gave.
They had no friends in high school, so why would they have outside friends in college? :p

Branduil

Dresden said:
So I finished the second episode of Steins;Gate... I want to like Steins;Gate, but at this point it's been nothing but a series of character introductions strung along with the occasional infodump shoved in here and there. And when Okabe isn't meeting some weird girl with an annoying gimmick he's just tripping out everywhere, which was amusing at first but gets old really fast. He's pretty much just weird for the sake of being weird, although there's presumably a dark and tragic past behind it, along with an explanation for why the vapid-moe girl is so fucking dumb. Pretty much none of the characters that we've seen enough to form an opinion about are likable and the others range from dull to annoying, with the latter being reserved for that nyan-nyan girl.

The show keeps throwing how mysterious this time travel shit is in my face but really I'm just bored by it.
So it doesn't get better in the second episode, then?

Jex

Steins;Gate 2

Well, I was sceptical when I saw White Fox would be producing this series, and with good reason. You could argue that judging a show based off the studio is ignoring the strength of the story and characters or whatever but it's painfully clear that direction is very important.

From what I know about the VN's this property has a pretty good story that's apparently well respected. I also understand that's it's packed with lots of technical and complex details. In other words, quite a challenge to adapt, even for a good team.

Regardless, this episode has the same kinds of faults as the opener. Scenes don't connect to each other in a smooth fashion, either through images of story. The pacing is non-existent, with the story beats following our intrepid doctor (who, frankly, I like) bumping into a succession of females for really no reason. It's kind of aimless. Let's not forget the cinematography and editing which fail to deliver as well, the editing doesn't achieve any kind of mood or cohesion and the camera work is unified and sloppy. There is no narrative focus to the episode.

If you told me that a bunch of scenes where chopped out or that this was highly compressed, I'd quite easily believe you.

I'm interested in the underlying story, theoretically, but the way it's being told is weak.

Dresden

flawfuls said:
Really? Everybody on GAF seems to hate it. Personally I think it's pretty decent though.
Animu-gaf is the home of the monocle-people, though. It's only to be expected! I'll just latch on behind you guys and tag along for the ride.

I'm just not digging it at all. It's a pity because I really did want to like it.

hellclerk

firehawk12 said:
I think the internet exploded when they thought Ritsu had a boyfriend or something... so yeah, that's not going to happen unless kakifly or whomever wants to troll the readership. Nerds are too predictable.
True, and trolling is at least a
larger than I'd admit right off
part of why I'd like to see some ship-teasing or more, but fuck it, if the otaku want their precious unspoiled waifus, then they should play their fucking VNs where every girl is moe-moe-innocent and a virgin just for them. It's not their story, as much as they'd try and make it as such.

Besides, we all know that otaku are as bad at "boycotting" something as the plebes on the gaming side when they don't like certain practices by a publisher. They'll still buy the dolls and Blu-rays. Trolling them is no less profitable than pandering. Hell, there's an entire genre based on this trolling shit (NTR).

They had no friends in high school, so why would they have outside friends in college? :p
I'm not going to qualify this with a proper response because you know this isn't the case. |3

mAcOdIn

Lafiel said:
Tanabe defense force assemble!
No assembly required!

Nah, I like her, she's impulsive, headstrong, idealistic, naive and ignorant. I know what you're thinking, "mAcOdIn, those are a terrible list of attributes to have together," and you're right but she's also fairly quick to adapt, even from the first episode with the "peace memorial," once she found out who made it she was all gung ho about dumping it. I dunno, I've only known one girl like her and, well, she was fun, never dull.

Geneijin

Branduil said:
And Infinite Stratos.
Quote:

Infinite Stratos was, extremely lucky, in more than one ways. First, Madoka's popularity actually affected Infinite Stratos in positive ways. People originally wanted Madoka to be good/moemoe cute girl magical girl series, but ended up getting serious eye-rape with endless despair and hopelessness. (kill urobuchi!) People needed something to 'cure' their eyes from shock, and they found, eye-pleasing + well-animated + moe-moe-kyun animation. It was perfect for purifying their eyes from 24 minutes of panic and complete absorption to amazing series called Madoka Magica. Not only that, all the other animations were even more unbearable than IS, there was no-other substitution for fans anyway.

Even more lucky thing for IS is, delay of Madoka Magica BD/DVD release. A lot of people who were eagerly waiting to see their favourite mahou shoujo in HD died in despair again. Thus, (...) it seems that IS became substitution to feel in their empty space of Madoka Magica, and increased sales of IS to even more ridiculous level. If both released CD during the same month, sales of 30,000 never happened.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
doomed1 said:
True, and trolling is at least a
larger than I'd admit right off
part of why I'd like to see some ship-teasing or more, but fuck it, if the otaku want their precious unspoiled waifus, then they should play their fucking VNs where every girl is moe-moe-innocent and a virgin just for them. It's not their story, as much as they'd try and make it as such.

Besides, we all know that otaku are as bad at "boycotting" something as the plebes on the gaming side when they don't like certain practices by a publisher. They'll still buy the dolls and Blu-rays. Trolling them is no less profitable than pandering. Hell, there's an entire genre based on this trolling shit (NTR).
Eh, nerds be nerds. Idols can't even admit they are dating men after all.

I'm not going to qualify this with a proper response because you know this isn't the case. |3
The show has always focused on the main characters... and now that I think about it, even the girl who went to college might end up being an expy to the new college spinoff. :lol

hellclerk

firehawk12 said:
Eh, nerds be nerds. Idols can't even admit they are dating men after all.
Yeah, but you can't really send death threats to cartoon characters. :p

Also, proof that trolling nerds is profitable: Evangelion. That is all.

The show has always focused on the main characters... and now that I think about it, even the girl who went to college might end up being an expy to the new college spinoff. :lol
But of course, which is why there's three new characters to replace Azu, Ui, and Jun. And not Nadoka. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dunno, I get the feeling that the same people who like moe-moe-kyun also like grimdark.

I'm just going to go with Japanese nerds love harems and this someone how the perfect mix of girls and robots.

doomed1 said:
Yeah, but you can't really send death threats to cartoon characters. :p

Also, proof that trolling nerds is profitable: Evangelion. That is all.
K-On! is not Evangelion.

Although, with Mari, Evangelion might be K-On!

doomed1 said:
But of course, which is why there's three new characters to replace Azu, Ui, and Jun. And not Nadoka. :p
And new characters to replace the four in the Asuza spinoff. :p

You know, a small part of my wishes the two 4komas would be adapted to anime and aired at the same time... just because I miss the days of having two shows from the same franchise airing simultaneously.

TNG/DS9... SG-1/Atlantis... and now K-On!!!/K-On!!-and a half.

Geneijin

pieatorium said:
So IS was not the show otaku wanted but the show they needed?
Quote:

Just see how much of sales for IS increased right after the airing of IS. It is now marking one of the most successful Light Novel, and before animation, it wasn't. - Source

If you want to read the rest, it's linked. It's a fairly short read.

firehawk12 said:
I dunno, I get the feeling that the same people who like moe-moe-kyun also like grimdark.
But was there enough moe in Madoka than Infinite Stratos?

I'm just going to go with Japanese nerds love harems and this someone how the perfect mix of girls and robots.
There's that too. Mecha musume and all included.

Jex

And now I'm reading people complain about Hanasaku Iroha 'cus it's not realistic enough, or because said scenarios couldn't happen.

This isn't really the writers fault, although it partially is, but this kind of complaint crops up all the over the place and in most circumstances it is completely without merit.

Dresden

C's opening on youtoob for people who didn't want to deal with the official site.

Random image:

kSVNal.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom