• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Dresden said:
I guess it was inevitable. But it's like you can't be bros anymore in animu without a bunch of people dreaming about how you gobble each other's cocks. What the hell.

It's not like this doesn't apply to all the female friendships in anime either. Or that this hasn't been going on since like, the beginning of fandom...Have you even seen half of the Madoka fan art lately? It's like two girls can't even be TOMODACHI without a bunch of people dreamin about how they gonna gobble each other's cunts.

TN: Tomodachi means friends.

Dresden

Extollere said:
It's not like this doesn't apply to all the female friendships in anime either. Or that this hasn't been going on since like, the beginning of fandom...Have you even seen half of the Madoka fan art lately? It's like two girls can't even be TOMODACHI without a bunch of people dreamin about how they gonna gobble each other's cunts.

Well, yeah. It's shit in Madoka too. Especially the Sayaka/Kyoko crap.

But like I said afterward my complaint was pretty pointless.

Geneijin

Edit: And it is midnight. Tomorrow will be an interesting day for new anime.

April 14
C / Tatsunoko Production
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai. / A-1 Pictures
Hidan no Aria / J.C. Staff
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko / SHAFT

mAcOdIn said:
Well don't I feel retarded. Hmm, now that it's so easily available I don't want it anymore, lol. I think it's time for a new one.
Eh, you shouldn't. The new avatar rules were implemented rather quickly, yet the profile pointing to an external avatar location weren't removed yet. I only know of it because there have been threads asking "where is my avatar" or etc.

Oh I can make them I'm just lazy, thanks though.
Oh, alright. But you can ask if you still want to.

Extollere said:

Fandom will do anything when left to their own devices.

EokC1.jpg

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Dresden said:
Well, yeah. It's shit in Madoka too. Especially the Sayaka/Kyoko crap.

But like I said afterward my complaint was pretty pointless.

I have an incredible habit of responding to posts that I see immediately, without reading any of the replies since said posts, you'll have to excuse me :p

Dresden

Geneijin said:
Edit: And it is midnight. Tomorrow will be an interesting day for new anime.

April 14
C / Tatsunoko Production
Such a long name.

Extollere said:
I have an incredible habit of responding to posts that I see immediately, without reading any of the replies since said posts, you'll have to excuse me :p
I'm also trying to forget the uncomfortably hypocritical element of my original post, but the internet never forgets.

Jex

Aoi Hana 4

Featuring relationship pairings not approved by GAF. Although in Maison Ikkoku they act like it's totally above board and acceptable.

Geneijin said:
It's an exaggeration I think, but is it the most generic anime this past decade? Yes. I cannot name one anime that's equivalent to it. Having no original ideas doesn't even begin to describe how bad Infinite Stratos was. The bad writing was terribly visible. Even the music was dialed in by Hikaru Nanase. The relationships were meaningless, the battles were pointless, and almost everything was forgettable.
Thinking about it, I just can't entirely agree. I mean, in terms of writing, plot, events, characters, etc, yes, it's a conglomeration of cliches to the degree that you could perhaps call it the most generic thing ever... but at least it had some slightly original art design. Those uniforms weren't exactly like others, and that half-shirt Ichika had as a IS costume was kind of odd...

In every other way though it probably is about the most generic thing ever, mostly thanks to the atrociously bad writing. Which apparently is actually better than the novel writing, somehow.

doomed1 said:
Only exception I'd ever make is for Kino's Journey stuff, but yeah, the fact that I very rarely even desire more than the occasional gunpla (and building models is a hobby from when I was like 8) is proof enough to me that I'm not otaku, just regular enthusiast (though I'm DEFINITELY a NERD).

I don't have or buy anime merchandise, I save that for my 1600+ game video/computer game collection (I like to buy old games)... :) Oh, and by that I mean games mostly, I don't have much videogame merchandise either, apart from stuff that came with games I bought that is.

mAcOdIn said:
Well that sucks, although between 3 computers you should easily be able to get 1 running at full capacity. I know about them damn clocks though, I can no longer set mine and my old Blackberry phone I use as an alarm no longer makes it through a day without dying.
One computer's from 2001, one's from 2004-5, and one's from 2007, so they're from different eras... three (four) different operating systems too -- ME, Linux (Ubuntu) and XP, and Vista.

I did try running the middle machine with the main harddrive from my newer one, but unfortunately it wasn't happy and wouldn't start. Completely different hardware causes issues, and I'd have to do stuff to get it working that I'd rather not do, considering that the goal is to get the newer machine working again, obviously. :)

That's not entirely wrong I guess. Really it just looks silly when I reply in a political thread with an anime avatar, I wish they could be tagged by context and display one appropriate for each thread.

Plus I lost my Spoor avatar, I didn't keep a backup and I hate dealing with Paint to make a new one.
I know it's been mentioned, but you didn't lose your avatar. You didn't read the post about the changes, I see.

And also, no avatar is worse than what you say there I think... if you really don't want one you don't have to have one, though, but it does make it easier to identify posts when people have avatars.

I just think people need to worry about realism in the sense that are the characters portrayed in a way that makes it seem as though they're making a realistic choice in the context of the show, anything else is taking things a bit too far. And as far as Hanasaku Iroha goes, what exactly is unrealistic about it? An abandoned child? Not unrealistic. A kid working in high school? Not unrealistic. A possible pedophile? Not unrealistic. Kido's getting slapped? Not unrealistic. I don't get the argument.
A kid being abandoned by their mother and forced to live with a cruel grandmother who forces her to work in her business or else? I wouldn't call that particularly likely. Sure, in a "could it happen" sense it isn't unrealistic per se, but it's also not too likely outside of fiction.

All of mine were non raid single drives. I have a SATA DVD-Burner, a Sata Blu-Ray player, a Samsung 1TB, a Seagate 500GB, a WD 500GB Caviar, and a 500 GB WD 5400 Green Drive and now 2 2TB Samsung drives. That's a lot of fucking drives. The WD Caviar started failing prompting me to buy the Seagate, there's no data I care about on it any more so I can wipe it, drill holes into it and shoot it into the sun, the 1TB Samsung will replace my 500GB Seagate which is currently the boot drive but I haven't got around to cloning my OS yet, but need to hurry as it's developing a lot of bad sectors too, the 500GB WD green drive has my music which will also be added onto my new 2TB RAID array and I don't know what I'll do with the two left over 500 WD drives. I only have 5 internal SATA ports on my motherboard so I'm just going to run the Samsung 1GB as the boot drive, the two 2TB's in RAID 1 as my media drive and then hook up the two optical drives, pity the Bluray's not also a burner as then I could cut out the DVD drive. I'm already up to 900GB or so of movies alone, even this 2TB array will start filling fast once I start ripping the Blurays I have left. Yikes. But eventually I plan to move to RAID 5 or 6 in a NAS. But yeah, it's a mirroring RAID I use, RAID 1, so it basically ensures if one drive fails it's still good, I like it. I wouldn't do RAID 0.

It's really nice, I have most of my stuff on it now and XBMC supports a ton of scrapers so your content can get tagged. The TVDB tracker was kind of ass for anime so I use the ANIDB scraper for anime but it's hell convenient. Keeps track of which episodes you've seen as well so you don't forget where you are.
My newer machine just has two 300GB drives and a 500GB, all three are mostly full now... I'm at the point where I need some more space. But the computer only has four SATA ports, and three are full now (with the HDDs, the DVD-RW drive is on EIDE and I don't have a Blu-Ray drive). There's only so much space inside a case though, it gets challenging fitting in more stuff at some point. I think if I got another HDD I might need something to fit it into one of the empty 5 1/4" bays... both 3.5" ones are full, one with a floppy drive and one with a media cards drive (for SD cards, etc.).

The (newer Vista) computer's a little older now of course, it's a Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.5Ghz) with a Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB and only 2GB of RAM, but still good enough for newer games, for the moment, probably because of how much the PC tech spec race has slowed down in recent years thanks to console ascendancy. It also has an awesome bright green case (and keyboard and mouse) that I still love. :)

The old, partially broken unless I reinstall Windows (on that note, I really don't want to have to do that, I've had this computer for 9 1/2 years now and haven't had to reinstall Windows once yet, I don't want to have to give up now and say there's no way to fix this... :)) WinME machine I'm posting this from now is a P4 1.5Ghz with a not so great 32MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card and 384MB RDRAM (ME only supports up to 512MB without problems, I upgraded from 128MB to 384 in 2002 but didn't again because of cost and that I'd need to buy 256MB for a 128MB upgrade because of how RDRAM must be paired...), and two HDDs, 40GB and 80GB (the latter added a year or two after I got it). Yeah, it's been like 95% full most of the time for years, and I didn't have a burner in it either until 2006 (just a regular DVD drive until then), so I just had to delete stuff sometimes... sad, but I do think that getting the DVD drive was a better choice than a CD-RW drive, given that it was one or the other and I wanted to be able to watch movies on the computer.

jman2050 said:
People who don't like the show just want to find stuff wrong with it when they should probably just leave it as is and go about their business.

Like, I can say that Iroha is very well-made and well-written and at the same time point out that it just simply isn't my type of show. This, Wandering Son, The Wonder Years, Friday Night Lights, all shows in that flavor are all good stuff that I just plain don't like watching. I imagine it's the same for some others, though many of them try to be antagonistic about it.
I agree, something being well made and whether someone's going to like it are entirely different, and often unrelated, questions. You're not going to like something if it's a kind of thing you don't like, no matter how well made that thing is for its genre. The opposite applies to bad shows in genres that you can enjoy.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
April 14
C / Tatsunoko Production
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko / SHAFT

Will be watching these

Man i kinda wish it was tommorow already because i want some new anime to watch!

Geneijin

A Black Falcon said:
Thinking about it, I just can't entirely agree. I mean, in terms of writing, plot, events, characters, etc, yes, it's a conglomeration of cliches to the degree that you could perhaps call it the most generic thing ever... but at least it had some slightly original art design. Those uniforms weren't exactly like others, and that half-shirt Ichika had as a IS costume was kind of odd...

In every other way though it probably is about the most generic thing ever, mostly thanks to the atrociously bad writing. Which apparently is actually better than the novel writing, somehow.
So you're agreeing with the article then?

IS was extremely 'eye-pleasing', supported by unnecessarily brilliant staffs involved, uselessly superb animation and meaninglessly excellent voice actress.
That cloak of shininess masqueraded how terribly generic Infinite Stratos was, and it was pleasant to watch because of it.

Yes, it's an amalgamation of generic cliches, but it's exactly why IS is so bad. The writing wasn't merely bad. It was nonexistent at times, and IS genuinely felt like puzzle pieces were being forced together, which has been apparent since Episode 2. It's why I eventually went on an offhand rant about some of the IS fans who read too deeply into the dialogue/script and created their own characterization from the lack of it if you remember it. Considering the standards and the proclivity of harem animes, where was the allusion Cecilia had fallen in love with Ichika? There was simply a skipped step in her development. Remember the shower scene at the end of Episode 2 when Cecilia develops love for Ichika? What was the dialogue? Something along the lines of what's this feeling in my heart. Boom. In Episode 3, it's automatically true love, and she's already assimilated into the harem. Is it worse than other harem animes? No. The problem with Cecilia's quick metamorphosis was the expectation we as the audience accepted this because we expected this as a cliche to happen, but there was no reason given in IS to assume this. IS literally ran on cliches, our bag of cliches, to fulfill what it lacked, and it was so easy to watch IS and criticize it later because we already knew it would be bad, which is another point in the article. IS goes beyond bad writing.

tiff

Banned
Extollere said:

MadokaxHomura is the best part of the fandom.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Geneijin said:
So you're agreeing with the article then?

That cloak of shininess masqueraded how terribly generic Infinite Stratos was, and it was pleasant to watch because of it.
People like the art of IS?

They couldn't even find any artists who could draw mech suits.

Steroyd

Saiyar said:
I thought they already had a season 3 planned? Isn't there an Azusa spin off in the works as well?

That's the manga/4 Koma. Although with K-ON being the cashcow it is, it's inevitable there will be a season 3.

Geneijin

Sket Dance - 2
A much better episode. Still don't know if this comedy is for me, but I prefer the first half more than the second half
since they split this into two mini-story arcs. The first half was about a samurai (?) who had trouble performing well at his kendo competitions, and the second half dealt with Sket-dan babysitting a monkey (?) and bomb disposal.

Dance In My Blood said:
People like the art of IS?
Character designs are included, right? So yes, people do. Charles, Chifuyu-nee, Pika-tan, and everyone else.

They couldn't even find any artists who could draw mech suits.
But then it wouldn't be a mecha musume anymore. What do you mean they couldn't draw them? Some of the IS suits referenced (?) Gundam suits apparently.

ollin

Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi

Not a bad first episode. Should be a decent harem anime for the season. Younger brother creeps me out. Still have bad memories after watching Baka to Test.

7Th

Dresden said:
Oh, anime fans.

DUQTJl.jpg

I guess it was inevitable. But it's like you can't be bros anymore in animu without a bunch of people dreaming about how you gobble each other's cocks. What the hell.

Why are you guys so surprised? If you type "Tiger&Bunny" in Pixiv it returns nearly 800 results... MOST of them pretty fucking gay, literally.

Jex

Regulus Tera said:
If they give the girls boyfriends then yeah.
The otaku would mount a revolt on the headquarters of KyotoAnimation. There would be pitchforks, burning torches and siege weaponry on a scale not scene since the Punic war.

By which I mean they'd crash the internet.

7Th

Interesting, oldass, lists:

Best anime films of all time chosen by Japanese film critics
1. Lupin the Third: Castle of Cagliostro
2. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
3. My Neighbor Totoro
4. Crayon Shin-chan: The Adult Empire Strikes Back
5. AKIRA
6. Puss-in-Boots
7. Urusei Yatsura 2
7. The Tale of the White Serpent
7. Prince of the Sun
10. Summer Days with Coo, Summer Wars, Castle in the Sky, Grave of the Fireflies

Best anime films of all time, as voted by film magazine readers
1. Lupin the Third: Castle of Cagliostro
2. My Neighbor Totoro
3. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
4. Summer Wars
5. Summer Days with Coo
6. Castle in the Sky
7. Spirited Away
8. Grave of the Fireflies
9. Space Runaway Ideon
10. Crayon Shin-chan: The Adult Empire Strikes Back

Yoshikuki Tomino's, director of Gundam, most favorite anime
1. Mighty Atom (Osamu Tezuka)
2. Ashita no Joe (Osamu Dezaki)
3. Heidi, Girl of the Alps (Isao Takahata)
4. Gundam (Yoshiyuki Tomino)
5. Candy Candy (Tetsuo Imazawa)
6. Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi (Gisaburô Sugii/Kousei Maeda/Rintaro)
7. Night on the Galactic Railroad (Gisaburo Sugii)
8. My Neighbor Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki )
9. Urusei Yatsura (Mamoru Oshii/Kazuo Yamazaki)
10. Mt. Head (Atama Yama)

http://www.asahi.com/culture/update/1021/TKY201010210119.html
http://harakeiichi-fan.seesaa.net/article/168201927.html
http://plaza.bunka.go.jp/hundred/choice.html
http://plaza.bunka.go.jp/hundred/choice.html

Cwarrior

Branduil said:
No you just need to be lucky enough to be born into a harem anime. Then you don't even need mecha skills, just be exceptionally generic and uninteresting.

is there some sort of law(rule), where if your making a harem the main boy needs to be a generic pussy or is it that everyone knows that girls go for generic.

<- doesn't watch many harem

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I dunno I'm not to scared of gainax buying kyoto animation.. what's so bad about two of the greatest anime studios becoming a single entity?!

zeroshiki

Regulus Tera said:
GAINAX buyout of Kyoto Animation would be amazing, stop hating.

You haven't known true despair unless you've seen your favorite characters whored out so badly and completely as to what Gainax has done to Eva.

Cwarrior

Lafiel said:
I dunno I'm not to scared of gainax buying kyoto animation.. what's so bad about two of the greatest anime studios becoming a single entity?!

blah blah square enix, Disney marvel,Hudson something

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Jexhius said:
The otaku would mount a revolt on the headquarters of KyotoAnimation. There would be pitchforks, burning torches and siege weaponry on a scale not scene since the Punic war.

By which I mean they'd crash the internet.
Which is exactly why I'd want to see it. I'd like to see them TRY and reasonably present why they should remain nuns for the rest of their lives, much less through college. Their otaku tears would be delicious!

Bvmjj.jpg

Mmmmmmm~ So salty-sweet~

zeroshiki

duckroll said:
http://i.imgur.com/kwXhJ.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3Z3wI.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/S468K.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/A3uJJ.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/eZDQ8.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/u3OK9.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/CMR33.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Pachinko Machines!

[img]http://www.mutantfrog.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/eva%20pachinko.jpg

Cruel Angel's Thesis in a freaking pachinko parlor!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
watatatow said:
Hahaha, did this actually happen in the show?
Fractale, yeah. I've mostly just been looking for a reason to post it. >__>

duckroll said:
Y'all know nothing about K-On selling out until you've seen the live concerts. They're a huge sham, don't even play their own instruments, and those voices sound fukk'n WEIRD coming out of grown women. They should have just pulled a Gorillaz and put up an animation from KyoAni for a live reading and sound synching instead of a bunch of grown-ass women pretending to play instruments and look pretty. It's no better than some random idol concert. Literally turned my stomach.

doomed1 said:
Y'all know nothing about K-On selling out until you've seen the live concerts. They're a huge sham, don't even play their own instruments, and those voices sound fukk'n WEIRD coming out of grown women. They should have just pulled a Gorillaz and put up an animation from KyoAni for a live reading and sound synching instead of a bunch of grown-ass women pretending to play instruments and look pretty. It's no better than some random idol concert. Literally turned my stomach.
You . . . went to one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom