• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Judge OVA

Do you ever feel that the laws of the moral realm aren't strong enough to give the guilty what they really deserve? That the police are too lackadaisical, the lawyers too inept and the jury too ambivalent?

Then you need The Judge of Darkness. Mild mannered salary man my day -

mildmannered.jpg

But when he senses an injustice in this reality he transforms into his true form -

transform.jpg
transform2.jpg
justicehasabird.jpg

Hot stuff right? Anyway, because Earthly justice is too slow he feels that playing the role of prosecutor isn't enough so he also acts as judge and executioner. His sentences are carried out immediately:

justice.jpg

This all goes well until one day a certain man -

whatswitheyes.jpg

Oh god what's...what's with his eyes? Dear lord. *shudder*. Yes, one day an accused soul actually gets a defence lawyer from hell to defend him. Outrageous. Of course, like any good defence lawyer he tries to kill the prosecution in a mystical duel, but fails. Eventually his client gets subpoenaed by the TEN KINGS OF THE UNDERWORLD for a totally fair trial.

tenkings.jpg
traditionaljustice.jpg

Yup, totally fair and balanced. I'd the say the acquittal rate is only a smidge higher than in a traditional Japanese court.

Solune

zeroshiki said:
I... I just want to be able too look at Senjougahara whenever I want to *sniff*sob*
Who doesn't. All that's left to do is to do the right thing.
zeroshiki said:
I'd break all the rules for Ghibli stuff.

Goddamn so expensive but so beautiful.

I've almost bought this one so many times

140.jpg
I know what that's like. Hobby shop at one of the malls has this http://i.imgur.com/OYdL5.jpg but it's expensive =(. I love anything from My Neighbour Totoro though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Speaking of Totoro, I have a vibrating blue Totoro plushie.

Why does it vibrate? I have no idea. But I used to pulled the string and then push it into my friend's head to creep her out. Trauma is fun!

zeroshiki

Halycon said:
I'm not, but you know how it is. Your perfect animu waifu looks at you with that pleading look, teary eyed, begging you to beat her, whip her, drip hot wax over her, hang her up and stuff her like a thanksgiving turkey.

How could anyone say no?

Oh man. This is incredible.

Solune said:
Who doesn't. All that's left to do is to do the right thing.

I know what that's like. Hobby shop at one of the malls has this http://i.imgur.com/OYdL5.jpg but it's expensive =(. I love anything from My Neighbour Totoro though.

I have a small Totoro plushie on my desk *right now*

Dresden

Joule said:
Dog Days 2: Now that's what I'm talking about Seven Arcs. Lots of action and the exposition wasn't long and awful. Also Leon is the best. As long as Seven Arcs doesn't drop the ball (this isn't unusual) this should be a lot of light hearted fun.
I did find it odd that in a show called Dawg Dayz the dog-people suck while the cat-people are pretty damn awesome. I mean, really... so far for the dogs we've had the ditzy pink princess, the green tsundere rogue, and some douche in armor.

Meanwhile for the cats you had Leonmichelle-Holo, Norio Wakamoto, and Simon from Gurren Lagann.

I do appreciate the fact that all the girls are color-coded, though. No need to remember names when you can just mark them out by color alone.

Mai-Hime 18

And so it begins. This is what I've been waiting for. If the battle royale is brutal enough, I won't even care if the ending is a massive BS reset.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
jman2050 said:
Body pillows are for otaku not shameless enough to get dolls.
Uh... it's the other way around... Dolls are nothing, trinkets even. If there was a figurine I wanted that bad, I'd buy it, provided I had the cash on hand. Body pillows are basically used by otaku as a lady-substitute, to make up for the fact that they couldn't get a 3D woman in bed with them, or in other words, requires and acceptance of FOREVER ALONE!

Dresden

doomed1 said:
Uh... it's the other way around... Dolls are nothing, trinkets even. If there was a figurine I wanted that bad, I'd buy it, provided I had the cash on hand. Body pillows are basically used by otaku as a lady-substitute, to make up for the fact that they couldn't get a 3D woman in bed with them, or in other words, requires and acceptance of FOREVER ALONE!
You're already forever alone. The crushing despair will hit you in two years.

Jex

Dresden said:
You just need some mech piloting abilities and the girls will fall for you. Well, as long as you don't pilot a mook class vehicle.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
You just need some mech piloting abilities and the girls will fall for you.
No you just need to be lucky enough to be born into a harem anime. Then you don't even need mecha skills, just be exceptionally generic and uninteresting.

jman2050

doomed1 said:

I meant life-size dolls

Geneijin

Dresden said:
I did find it odd that in a show called Dawg Dayz the dog-people suck while the cat-people are pretty damn awesome. I mean, really... so far for the dogs we've had the ditzy pink princess, the green tsundere rogue, and some douche in armor.

Meanwhile for the cats you had Leonmichelle-Holo, Norio Wakamoto, and Simon from Gurren Lagann.

I do appreciate the fact that all the girls are color-coded, though. No need to remember names when you can just mark them out by color alone.
3ifrQ.jpg

Cats ain't winning against the moe all-stars man.

Solune

Halycon said:
Speaking of Totoro, I have a vibrating blue Totoro plushie.

Why does it vibrate? I have no idea. But I used to pulled the string and then push it into my friend's head to creep her out. Trauma is fun!
That sounds amazing
zeroshiki said:
Oh man. This is incredible.
I have a small Totoro plushie on my desk *right now*
I used to have the giant Grey one like in Toy Story 3
cosmicblizzard said:
Mai-Hime 18

And so it begins. This is what I've been waiting for. If the battle royale is brutal enough, I won't even care if the ending is a massive BS reset.
You will... You will.

Joule

Dresden said:

It is strange. I guess the dogs get to shine later on. Even Leon's chocobo is bad ass.

Shinku's kinda okay but after all that Star Driver it's kinda weird to hear him again.

hellclerk

Dresden said:
Eh... it kinda already did... But I was stronger than it! No, I don't really even have any desire to own a body pillow with something on it. It would actually creep me out a little, like uncanny valley creep me out.

jman2050

cosmicblizzard said:
Mai-Hime 18

You will.

Oh you will.

hellclerk

Geneijin said:
moepolice.jpg[IMG]

Cats ain't winning against the moe all-stars man.[/QUOTE]
I never really considered them all that moe (well, except for Mio and Azu in their more vulnerable moments). They were always more delightfully goofy to me...

Jex

Branduil said:
No you just need to be lucky enough to be born into a harem anime. Then you don't even need mecha skills, just be exceptionally generic and uninteresting.
Some say it's both a curse and a responsibility -

thequestion.jpg

Dresden

Oh, anime fans.

DUQTJl.jpg

I guess it was inevitable. But it's like you can't be bros anymore in animu without a bunch of people dreaming about how you gobble each other's cocks. What the hell.

Jex

Dresden said:
Oh, anime fans...I guess it was inevitable. But it's like you can't be bros anymore in animu without a bunch of people dreaming about how you gobble each other's cocks. What the hell.
Don't pretend that you didn't draw that yourself, Dresden.

Haly

In any case that's good art.

I will watch Tiger and Bunny later.

Dresden said:
I guess it was inevitable. But it's like you can't be bros anymore in animu without a bunch of people dreaming about how you gobble each other's cocks. What the hell.

You can't be anything anymore without people dreaming of that.

Dresden said:
Oh, anime fans.

Its called Bromance for a reason.

Dresden

Jexhius said:
Don't pretend that you didn't draw that yourself, Dresden.
Oh, the things I'd draw if I had the talent.
Halycon said:
In any case that's good art.

I will watch Tiger and Bunny later.
But he's a father, it's not like Code Geass where Lelouch wavered in between being a siscon and yaoibait the whole time. He's a father!

Geneijin

doomed1 said:
I never really considered them all that moe (well, except for Mio and Azu in their more vulnerable moments). They were always more delightfully goofy to me...
Oh, I wasn't referring to K-On as the moe all-stars. I was talking about the dogs in Dog Days.

"the ditzy pink princess (Kanon 06 - Ayu), the green tsundere rogue (OreImo - Kirino), and some douche in armor (Mamoru Miyano - the Galactic Bishounen)."

Dresden

Hellsing321 said:
Its called Bromance for a reason.
Yeah, I guess I'm complaining about nothing.
Geneijin said:
Oh, I wasn't referring to K-On as the moe all-stars. I was talking about the dogs in Dog Days.

"the ditzy pink princess (Kanon 06 - Ayu), the green tsundere rogue (OreImo - Kirino), and some douche in armor (Mamoru Miyano - the Galactic Bishounen)."
M7OP3l.jpg

hellclerk

Geneijin said:

Aha! I KNEW she sounded familiar! Eh, I'm gonna watch the third episode, but then I'm gonna stop. It's just gonna be so boring watching all this moe go to waste on some oblivious moron of a body-building boy. I mean sure, there's gonna be action, but it's not raw bloody, bodies littering the battlefield action. It's 1960s Batman action. That's fine in it's own regard, but there's really just nothing there to hold my attention with how it is.

And thus we have the downside of Moe, when it becomes nothing more than eye candy.

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
It's just been an incredibly unlucky year for electronics for me, apparently. Three computers having problems or going down isn't even all of it -- my original Xbox's DVD drive seems to be failing (just started failing to read discs sometimes a few weeks ago), and my clock-radio's radio portion broke just within the last month too...
Well that sucks, although between 3 computers you should easily be able to get 1 running at full capacity. I know about them damn clocks though, I can no longer set mine and my old Blackberry phone I use as an alarm no longer makes it through a day without dying.
A Black Falcon said:
Credibility? You mean it makes you look more boring, right? :)
That's not entirely wrong I guess. Really it just looks silly when I reply in a political thread with an anime avatar, I wish they could be tagged by context and display one appropriate for each thread.

Plus I lost my Spoor avatar, I didn't keep a backup and I hate dealing with Paint to make a new one.

A Black Falcon said:
RAID... I'd never trust the "spread one partition over several discs" kind of RAID, that means if one drive goes down you lose everything. The "duplicate data" kind's better though, so everything has a backup... but of course it requires two drives for each usable one. I just have normal, non-RAIDed, partitioned drives. On my newer computer (as I said not working at the moment, but I'll get it fixed) I've got three hard drives, totalling about 1.1TBs of space. It's not enough, I've about run out of space, so at some point I'll probably need another drive (and maybe something else too, like more RAM at least), but at least it's something.

I don't try to keep movies or TV on my harddrive, though. Anime, yeah, and other than that lots of games... I like having as many of my (hundreds of) PC games installed as possible, plus lots of demos too, so that whatever I want to play hopefully is installed whenever I possibly might want to play it. :)
All of mine were non raid single drives. I have a SATA DVD-Burner, a Sata Blu-Ray player, a Samsung 1TB, a Seagate 500GB, a WD 500GB Caviar, and a 500 GB WD 5400 Green Drive and now 2 2TB Samsung drives. That's a lot of fucking drives. The WD Caviar started failing prompting me to buy the Seagate, there's no data I care about on it any more so I can wipe it, drill holes into it and shoot it into the sun, the 1TB Samsung will replace my 500GB Seagate which is currently the boot drive but I haven't got around to cloning my OS yet, but need to hurry as it's developing a lot of bad sectors too, the 500GB WD green drive has my music which will also be added onto my new 2TB RAID array and I don't know what I'll do with the two left over 500 WD drives. I only have 5 internal SATA ports on my motherboard so I'm just going to run the Samsung 1GB as the boot drive, the two 2TB's in RAID 1 as my media drive and then hook up the two optical drives, pity the Bluray's not also a burner as then I could cut out the DVD drive. I'm already up to 900GB or so of movies alone, even this 2TB array will start filling fast once I start ripping the Blurays I have left. Yikes. But eventually I plan to move to RAID 5 or 6 in a NAS. But yeah, it's a mirroring RAID I use, RAID 1, so it basically ensures if one drive fails it's still good, I like it. I wouldn't do RAID 0.

It's really nice, I have most of my stuff on it now and XBMC supports a ton of scrapers so your content can get tagged. The TVDB tracker was kind of ass for anime so I use the ANIDB scraper for anime but it's hell convenient. Keeps track of which episodes you've seen as well so you don't forget where you are.
A Black Falcon said:
Haven't watched that episode yet, but apart from that I agree that weird stuff goes on in real life too. The reason people complain about it anyway though is that it's more common in shows than in reality, because it's more interesting if there is more drama. I think that that criticism is clearly true. Still though, is it true that things like that happen in reality too, sometimes? Yeah, it is. But while in reality it happens sometimes, in shows it's a certainty pretty much.
I just think people need to worry about realism in the sense that are the characters portrayed in a way that makes it seem as though they're making a realistic choice in the context of the show, anything else is taking things a bit too far. And as far as Hanasaku Iroha goes, what exactly is unrealistic about it? An abandoned child? Not unrealistic. A kid working in high school? Not unrealistic. A possible pedophile? Not unrealistic. Kido's getting slapped? Not unrealistic. I don't get the argument.
jman2050 said:
People who don't like the show just want to find stuff wrong with it when they should probably just leave it as is and go about their business.

Like, I can say that Iroha is very well-made and well-written and at the same time point out that it just simply isn't my type of show. This, Wandering Son, The Wonder Years, Friday Night Lights, all shows in that flavor are all good stuff that I just plain don't like watching. I imagine it's the same for some others, though many of them try to be antagonistic about it.
Get out of here with your level-headed reason! I agree though, I thought Wandering Son was good but I had no desire to watch it and I thought Hanasaku Iroha's first episode was fine but it didn't leave me clamoring for more either. But opinions on the internet are serious business.
pieatorium said:
Please don't go avatarless it looks weird and I will call you "old no-av" until you fold and change your mind
Well that's a strong argument!
Lafiel said:
You are no longer dead to me!
Until the next time I'm dead to you!
Lafiel said:
I think maintaining believability is a more important thing than strict realism, and again this is anime we are talking about, and iroha in question already has certain quirks (that i love) that wouldn't work half as well in a live-action setting.
I agree with this.
Steroyd said:
Heh reminds of Madoka and TWGOK discussions, there are times when you've got to accept that truth can be stranger than fiction, there is no "real" way to react to certain situations, it's all dependant on what they've experienced before and whatnot, Ohana was already aware that her mother was no good and I thought her reactions to what the mum does to her is a fair reflection of that.
True.

Haly

Dresden said:
But he's a father, it's not like Code Geass where Lelouch wavered in between being a siscon and yaoibait the whole time. He's a father!
Sometimes a father needs to remember what it's like being in love.

Jex

Dresden said:
Kaiji:

well, it's Kaiji. Good.
This is kind of where I've ended up as well. I mean, apart from quoting the narrator or Kaiji himself there isn't much to say.

THREE THOUSAND!!

At least the pacing is still fast. Lets hope they never repeat the final arcs tiresome drudgery.

Geneijin

Dresden said:
You're proving my point sire.

doomed1 said:
Aha! I KNEW she sounded familiar! Eh, I'm gonna watch the third episode, but then I'm gonna stop. It's just gonna be so boring watching all this moe go to waste on some oblivious moron of a body-building boy. I mean sure, there's gonna be action, but it's not raw bloody, bodies littering the battlefield action. It's 1960s Batman action. That's fine in it's own regard, but there's really just nothing there to hold my attention with how it is.

And thus we have the downside of Moe, when it becomes nothing more than eye candy.
Dog Days is the lighthearted fun I expected Infinite Stratos to be yet never delivered. I was expecting Dog Days as a lighter Utawarerumono too, but Episode 2 of Dog Days changed my expectations for the better. I'm fine with the action being the way it is, and it fits with the light fantasy impression I have of this series.

mAcOdIn said:
Plus I lost my Spoor avatar, I didn't keep a backup and I hate dealing with Paint to make a new one.
oVDAr.jpg

It's still listed in your profile.

I could help you make another one if you want. PM me if you do.

Dresden

Jexhius said:
This is kind of where I've ended up as well. I mean, apart from quoting the narrator or Kaiji himself there isn't much to say.

THREE THOUSAND!!

At least the pacing is still fast. Lets hope they never repeat the final arcs tiresome drudgery.
I think the shorter season might actually be a blessing. But yeah, there isn't much to say about it.

hellclerk

Anyway, today I discovered to my surprise that the music in K-On is actually GOOD. Oh God, is this stuff a fantastic display of musicianship. I'd always had my inklings, but I wrote it off that I was just enjoying the empty tripe of some manufactured J-Rock for the Otaku to mindlessly purchase. But then, I stumbled upon the bass-line of the first opening and just sat there in stunned silence. It was being played almost like a lead instrument, and then listening to the song otherwise, it blended so well.

Being impressed with it enough, my band is now more or less ripping off the opening riff of Fudepen Ballpen (the rest we're leaving) for a waltz we've been working on. The riff fits nicely into 3 4/4 measures and will translate well enough to 4 3/4 measures. We're actually putting the lead guitar into a full-out 4/4 off beat structure in juxtaposition to the 3/4 of the waltz. If we can pull it off, it'll be SICK. And the hipsters we'll end up playing totally won't know our dark, dark secret.

It's K-ON begetting AWESOME music. It's just so wrong, yet it feels so right...

mAcOdIn

Geneijin said:
It's still listed in your profile.
Well don't I feel retarded. Hmm, now that it's so easily available I don't want it anymore, lol. I think it's time for a new one.
Geneijin said:
I could help you make another one if you want. PM me if you do.
Oh I can make them I'm just lazy, thanks though.

Dresden

Halycon said:
Sometimes a father needs to remember what it's like being in love.
I don't know, Kotetsu needs a caring lover who can take care of his daughter. Like Sky High.
firehawk12 said:
I must have missed her in episode 2... does she have an epic speech gimmick? Niiiiiiniiiiiiiiii.
I don't think she's appeared yet in the show.

Geneijin said:
Dog Days is the lighthearted fun I expected Infinite Stratos to be yet never delivered. I was expecting Dog Days as a lighter Utawarerumono too, but Episode 2 of Dog Days changed my expectations for the better. I'm fine with the action being the way it is, and it fits with the light fantasy impression I have of this series.
After trudging through IS last season I'm bailing out on Dog Days ASAP if it starts being shit (but then, I always say that). But yeah, it's carefree fun.

Jexhius said:

THREE THOUSAND!!

Getting through 13 volumes in 13 episodes, I don't think they'll have the luxury. Of course the manga's pacing is pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom