• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFresh

Aigis said:
Deepdiscount has it for cheaper! I have it preordered too.

Is deepdiscounts reliable? I bought a blu-ray from them once new and it came opened and scratched. I returned it not problem, but haven't bought from them since

Risette

A Good Citizen
EmmanuelMunoz said:
Is deepdiscounts reliable? I bought a blu-ray from them once new and it came opened and scratched. I returned it not problem, but haven't bought from them since
I've had good experience with them. My main problem with them is that they're usually a day or so slow on shipping compared to other sites.

NewFresh

Aigis said:
I've had good experience with them. My main problem with them is that they're usually a day or so slow on shipping compared to other sites.
Wow huge price difference
Deepdiscounts - $19.59
Amazon - $34.99

Instro

Aigis said:
Deepdiscount has it for cheaper! I have it preordered too.

Huh deepdiscounts price arnt usually that much better then Amazon. I wasnt expecting the price difference to be that large.

Tempting, I have Prime so I would get the movie super quick vs the long delivery time of deepdiscount. Its too bad not enough people care about this because Amazon would probably price match or at least get closer.

Steroyd said:
There's nothing wrong with Sakura's crush on Yukito as long as it stays a crush,
Well that's part of the issue. It doesn't really stay just a crush. As I said, he takes her out to lunch on a "date" (or at least she considers it one, don't know about him but it sure looks like it) early on, in ep. 3 or 4. They arrange a time, she dresses up for it, he compliments her clothes, they go to the aquarium, the Water Clow Card attacks and he saves her by breaking down a door to let the water out after it grabs her foot to hold her under, etc.

Also, he's also got a creepily perfect smile all of the time, just like her father.

the Nadeshiko thing was freaky mainly because the writers didn't have to make her that young, and it served nothing more than to make perfect father-san so eerie under that kind smile, which is what irks me more than anything.
Yeah, seriously. I agree.

Even better there's an episode where they all go to a summer house, and Sakura starts talking to some old man in a house down the road, even tells her father about him and starts visiting him everyday, which the dad is okay with. Granted
he's sakura's great grandfather
but perfect father-san didn't let on that he knew this as a fact, as far as I'm concerned perfect father-san let his ten year old daughter play with some strange old man every day without keeping an eye on her wtf.
Um... yeah. That is indeed some more really poor parenting. Of course she's also always allowed out, no problem, at home, but that is even worse...

On the "cleaning stuff" "and these are not realistic children" notes though, in ep. 5 or 6, the one where they have the Jump card hiding in a stuffed animal store, Sakura and four of her friends go to the store. However, the woman who owns it is really bad at organizing stuff and most of teh stuff is still in boxes lying all around. So this group of 9 or 10 year old girls decide to help her by cleaning the whole store, unpacking everything, and putting it all on the shelves? Has such an insanely unlikely thing ever happened, ever?

Oh lord I think I read that someone setup an effigy, because the author of kannagi said that kannagi wasn't a virgin or some stupid crap, I would read the crap out of the internet gigaploding if a season 3 of K-ON had a Sex in the City episode.
Yeah, that's one good example. Kannagi's author implied that the main girl had seen men before (she's a god who's been around for centuries), and there was a fan outcry... then shortly afterwards she stopped the series because of health issues and hasn't continued it since. And that is certainly not the only case of a manga artist being criticized for such things.

Geneijin said:
So until then, Infinite Stratos is number one in that regard with no comparison, no hyperbole required. But I don't think it'll be difficult. The genre is very volatile.
Hmm, you know, there is a lot of really generic anime out there, really IS probably isn't the most generic thing of all time... it does have no original ideas in any of its plotlines or story decisions, for sure, though, and also lots of awful writing and nonsense.

mAcOdIn said:
What the fuck ya doing to your machines? Just re-install Windows, the older versions need that every once in a while, back up your data, wipe everything and start over.
It's just been an incredibly unlucky year for electronics for me, apparently. Three computers having problems or going down isn't even all of it -- my original Xbox's DVD drive seems to be failing (just started failing to read discs sometimes a few weeks ago), and my clock-radio's radio portion broke just within the last month too...

Anyways, I think I'm going to go avatar-less again, gives me more credibility across the board.
Credibility? You mean it makes you look more boring, right? :)

Although I've been going through a kind of PC hell recently myself. I've been stocking up on 2TB hdds in preparation to building a NAS and now that I have 2 I decided I was going to make a RAID 1 array, might as well start now and ensure the drives are kosher and I need to kinda learn a little about RAID before I get the NAS anyways. So off I go trying to change my AHCI driver in Windows 7 to the RAID driver. Ugh, that was a pain, eventually I moved the HD with Windows on it to the last SATA port, made it IDE in the BIOS but made all the other ones RAID, that way Windows could boot AND the RAID controller would be enabled since the AMD drivers were being a bitch and not letting me install them without it being enabled like I could do on XP. So Cool beans, I get Windows running, install the RAID drivers and the AMD RAIDXpert tool and reboot and in the BIOS I make my first mistake. I figured JBOD mode was just, well, nothing, so I assign all but my 2 new 2TB drives to that mode. Well now they're all seemingly empty. Ouch, it'd really suck to lose all that data before I even get it migrated. I panic and set everything back to AHCI and see if they work normally, they do and the data's still there and I breathe a sigh of relief. So I don't want to put them in JBOD next time. So I switch back to RAID and control F and God damnit the RAID controller remembered their serial numbers or some shit and set them to JBOD again! The documentation in it is so damn sparse that I can tell how to easily delete the array but it also says it'll delete all the data on the disc as well. That's not cool. Eventually I just decide to try it and tell it sure, delete it and boot into Windows, all the Data's still there, thank God. So now to move that shit over to the RAID 1 array with my two new HDs. Now I did test these with Seagate's tool but that was the extent, so I didn't really know if they were golden but I might as well find out by moving real data to it I figure and start a copyin'. All kinds of panic messages start flaring up and one of the drives goes down. Well that pissed me off, I mean, I know the drive can handle some data, I can't have the array flipping out and dying on me the second I start to copy shit. So I figure, fuck it, lets try it without the fast initialization, that took 7 fucking hours to initialize two blank fucking drives but after that it all worked and now I have a fancy RAID 1 array for my anime viewing pleasure.

But that's not all, I had wanted a new HTPC because my 4870 is ridiculously loud. Well it blocks the SATA ports and since I have way more drives than ports until I get these drives all consolidated I was removing it and installing it quite often. Upon one swap I look at the fan connector and realize it had come loose from the PCB a little, wonder what would happen if I pushed it back in all the way? A damn near silent in idle, 2d windows and video watching 4870 with working fan steps for gaming, that's what. So now I may not even buy a new HTPC. I'm like so fucking happy right now, this 4870 has been a fucking jet engine since the day I installed it and all I needed to do was reinsert the damn fan connector into the PCB. Son of a bitch.

All that for a nice anime/movie/TV experience. Computers are rough sometimes. Ubuntu's still fucking broke though but fuck it.
RAID... I'd never trust the "spread one partition over several discs" kind of RAID, that means if one drive goes down you lose everything. The "duplicate data" kind's better though, so everything has a backup... but of course it requires two drives for each usable one. I just have normal, non-RAIDed, partitioned drives. On my newer computer (as I said not working at the moment, but I'll get it fixed) I've got three hard drives, totalling about 1.1TBs of space. It's not enough, I've about run out of space, so at some point I'll probably need another drive (and maybe something else too, like more RAM at least), but at least it's something.

I don't try to keep movies or TV on my harddrive, though. Anime, yeah, and other than that lots of games... I like having as many of my (hundreds of) PC games installed as possible, plus lots of demos too, so that whatever I want to play hopefully is installed whenever I possibly might want to play it. :)

Hanasaku Iroha episode 2 I liked better than the first, I'll probably follow it. People bitching about strict realism however are pretty fucking funny. It's fucking TV who wants 100% realism? And on a more twisted note have people seen the shit that does go on in reality? Stupid mothers circumcising their children with pliers and knives, serial killers, cannibals, whacky cults that gas subways, a President shot to impress an actress, an orangutang kept as a prostitute, people who marry their pets, reality is fucking whacked. Demented. I don't know if there is a reality just a "norm."
Haven't watched that episode yet, but apart from that I agree that weird stuff goes on in real life too. The reason people complain about it anyway though is that it's more common in shows than in reality, because it's more interesting if there is more drama. I think that that criticism is clearly true. Still though, is it true that things like that happen in reality too, sometimes? Yeah, it is. But while in reality it happens sometimes, in shows it's a certainty pretty much.

jman2050

A Black Falcon said:
Well that's part of the issue. As I said, he takes her out to lunch on a "date" (or at leastshe considers it one, don't know about him) early on. They arrange a time, she dresses up for it, he compliments her clothes, they go to the aquarium, the Water Clow Card attacks and he saves her by breaking down a door to let the water out after it grabs her foot to hold her under, etc.

Also, he's also got a creepily perfect smile all of the time, just like her father.

CLAMP's idea of successful relationships is probably the biggest problem with the show. Well that and Mei Ling, even though she's not as bad as some other annoying superfluous characters you see in anime.

A Black Falcon said:
Well that's part of the issue. As I said, he takes her out to lunch on a "date" (or at leastshe considers it one, don't know about him) early on. They arrange a time, she dresses up for it, he compliments her clothes, they go to the aquarium, the Water Clow Card attacks and he saves her by breaking down a door to let the water out after it grabs her foot to hold her under, etc.

Well, Yukito clearly only has eyes for one person, and it isn't Sakura. I see the whole thing as being rather harmless. He's just being nice to the younger sister of his best friend. It might look bad (I had a sister with the same age gap, and I certainly would have never gone hanging out with her friends or something like that), but I don't think there's anything creepy meant by him.

Trapeze 10

This was a heartwarming episode - even if I can't tap into the old memories of Japan it evokes, there's something universal about nostalgia.
I must be dumb - even though I thought the guy looked young for what he should have been through, it didn't click for me until the big reveal. Which was beautifully done.
Perhaps my favorite episode yet.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't like the face on the Alter figure but I have to admit it's better than the other two in terms of overall composition.

Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi - now that was very funny. I will definitely keep watching. It was funny when they lady said "It's not very big so that's no surprise" when she was talking about the guys dick rofl.

Hen Zemi - what the fuck. The girl was talking about her secret fetish of smelling her own farts in a bath >_>; Fetish anime is strange

30-sai no Hoken Taiiku Episode 1 - lol an anime about teaching a 30 year old how to lose his virginity

Risette

A Good Citizen
hosannainexcelsis said:
Trapeze 10

This was a heartwarming episode - even if I can't tap into the old memories of Japan it evokes, there's something universal about nostalgia.
I must be dumb - even though I thought the guy looked young for what he should have been through, it didn't click for me until the big reveal. Which was beautifully done.
Perhaps my favorite episode yet.
The finale is pretty touching too. It's one of my favorite anime endings.

Go watch the final episode! :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
If it makes you feel any better, I probably won't be continuing on this, uh, quixotic quest any further, so at least we won't have to watch past episode 1. >_>

All of the bad anime consumption has finally gotten to me and is kind of curdling my brain, so all I can really do is laugh anymore. Laugh, and grow fat!
You can't quit now! Gotta finish the whole series? ;)

Geneijin

zeroshiki said:
For nendoroids, I have this one in my av, a Kagami one and a Kagami cosplaying as Hatsune Miku one.
I have a wooser plushie >.>

flawfuls said:
He isn't, but he will never break character. You should see him go in the manga thread.
Is that so? Because the only questionable thing in that post was the "awesome battle sequence" comment personally.

Instro said:
Huh deepdiscounts price arnt usually that much better then Amazon. I wasnt expecting the price difference to be that large.

Tempting, I have Prime so I would get the movie super quick vs the long delivery time of deepdiscount. Its too bad not enough people care about this because Amazon would probably price match or at least get closer.
I rather take a longer delivery time than spend more money. $10-20 adds up quick.

A Black Falcon said:
Hmm, you know, there is a lot of really generic anime out there, really IS probably isn't the most generic thing of all time... it does have no original ideas in any of its plotlines or story decisions, for sure, though, and also lots of awful writing and nonsense.
It's an exaggeration I think, but is it the most generic anime this past decade? Yes. I cannot name one anime that's equivalent to it. Having no original ideas doesn't even begin to describe how bad Infinite Stratos was. The bad writing was terribly visible. Even the music was dialed in by Hikaru Nanase. The relationships were meaningless, the battles were pointless, and almost everything was forgettable.

icarus-daedelus said:
So if I understand right, the nature documentary bits in the beginning of each episode of Gosenzosama Banbanzai are parables relating to the contents of the episode. Cool. The show is so clever and inventive, it's a wonder it doesn't have more of a cult following on the internets. A shame, really.

Now, episode 2 wasn't as fun as episode 1, which I rewatched today 'cause it's that boss, but it actually might have been more interesting. Jolly good.

If it makes you feel any better, I probably won't be continuing on this, uh, quixotic quest any further, so at least we won't have to watch past episode 1. >_>

All of the bad anime consumption has finally gotten to me and is kind of curdling my brain, so all I can really do is laugh anymore. Laugh, and grow fat!

is your Key pact finished yet?

Aigis said:
The finale is pretty touching too. It's one of my favorite anime endings.

Go watch the final episode! :)

I just did!

Trapeze 11

As the end credits teach us, what makes a show great is having a sexy model inject you with dubious drugs. What is in those "vitamin shots" anyway?

But yeah, this has become one of my all-time favorite shows. It has consistently stylish, off-the-wall animation which does a great job of visualizing inner emotional states. (The mixture of live action with animation isn't something I've seen in another Japanese show.) Each character's situation is sensitively presented, allowing me to feel for their struggles and root for their success. All eleven stories are constantly overlapping and bumping into each other - a narrative technique I'm a big fan of. And Irabu - well, he's such a crazy likable guy. That laugh of his never ceases to amuse me.

The last episode does a good job of wrapping everything up into one final lesson about listening to the cry of the canary - not running away when those close to us are in pain. It also has some of the best animation of the series as last episodes are wont to do. Very satisfying.

Now I've got to go find Mononoke!

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Interlocking fingers is just so suggestive in anime. :lol
Intrelockinng fingers? I assumed it was more about the kissing roses.
icarus-daedelus said:
The manga is quite generic (it was conceived at the same time as the series), and iirc from reading the internetz I don't think she had much creative control over the television series (or, obviously, the movie) at all. So actually I don't think she had any idea what she was getting involved with. :lol
I thought she had more control over the series and he did more what he wanted with the movie, or something. But I can't be sure because I'm not doing my dissertation on it or anything.

Dresden

icarus-daedalus said:
So if I understand right, the nature documentary bits in the beginning of each episode of Gosenzosama Banbanzai are parables relating to the contents of the episode. Cool. The show is so clever and inventive, it's a wonder it doesn't have more of a cult following on the internets. A shame, really.

Now, episode 2 wasn't as fun as episode 1, which I rewatched today 'cause it's that boss, but it actually might have been more interesting. Jolly good.
I think episode one is as funny as it gets--the whole scene with the family star is gold--but the show gets more and more bizarre, and consequently, more fucking awesome. It's just so fantastically weird, I guess theatrical is the word, which fits more considering the way everything's set up.

I did find this scene hilarious though, in ep.2:

XX9dq.jpg

It's just the way he looms into view, only to slide in and out, as uncomfortable as the moment when Bunmei truckers in as the father is getting the monologue about Maroko out. The sheer absurdity of that situation just builds up and up until everything comes to a conclusion with a hit from Inumaru's bat.

And the characters are all so damn expressive with their movements. So good.
hosannainexcelsis said:
I just did!

Trapeze 11

As the end credits teach us, what makes a show great is having a sexy model inject you with dubious drugs. What is in those "vitamin shots" anyway?

But yeah, this has become one of my all-time favorite shows. It has consistently stylish, off-the-wall animation which does a great job of visualizing inner emotional states. (The mixture of live action with animation isn't something I've seen in another Japanese show.) Each character's situation is sensitively presented, allowing me to feel for their struggles and root for their success. All eleven stories are constantly overlapping and bumping into each other - a narrative technique I'm a big fan of. And Irabu - well, he's such a crazy likable guy. That laugh of his never ceases to amuse me.

The last episode does a good job of wrapping everything up into one final lesson about listening to the cry of the canary - not running away when those close to us are in pain. It also has some of the best animation of the series as last episodes are wont to do. Very satisfying.

Now I've got to go find Mononoke!
Yeah, I think it's time to give Trapeze another try.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
I'm not sure whether to be flattered, disgusted, or secretly pleased that I provided you the inspiration to watch Seikon no Qwaser II. Probably all three, all at once...
You might as well wait the short amount of time needed until it airs uncensored.

Jex

Aigis said:
Just incompetence, probably.
Pretty much. It's time like these when fans just grab the other region BD's or painstakingly fix audio or, in the case of the Lain/FLCL DVD's, remaster them by hand. None of which really need to happen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
hosannainexcelsis said:
I just did!

Trapeze 11

Yay! I also liked how it the show was essentially an anthology series but it managed to overtly link the individual stories together with more than just theme.

And yeah, other than random Shaftisms, I haven't really seen anything that comes close to the type of animation they've used. I guess it's one of the reasons why I'm curious about C, despite the batshit craziness coming from all the previews.

Jexhius said:
Intrelockinng fingers? I assumed it was more about the kissing roses.
Honestly, I think interlocking fingers have become the metaphor for chaste sex simply because of how many times I've seen it in romances. Certainly it exhibits a closeness of human contact that - outside of animes that feature tongue on tongue action - is a very quick shorthand for intimacy.

Heck, it was in the first Gintama of the season. Dem fingers.

Haly

zeroshiki said:
I always prided myself in never crossing the line in buying creepy anime goods. The siren call of figures is hard to resist though :(
I was like that too until I saw Gwndolyn in her box tucked in the back of some animu figurine shop in China:
Odin_Sphere__Valkyri_Gwendolyn_by_blackmage9.jpg

I could not say no. Since then I also bought Rocker Haruhi and Kino (as well as a Nico Robin figurine I keep in the closet because I didn't realize she was jointed. Joints = fun for taking pictures, bad for display)

Dresden said:
Yeah, I think it's time to give Trapeze another try.

Do it! You know you want another shot from Mayumi-chan.

zeroshiki said:
I always prided myself in never crossing the line in buying creepy anime goods. The siren call of figures is hard to resist though :(

I wouldn't worry until you have a whole wall lined with them and spend more time talking to them than going outside.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
Trapeze 11.. All eleven stories are constantly overlapping and bumping into each other - a narrative technique I'm a big fan of...The last episode does a good job of wrapping everything
Trapeze is a title whose strengths develop as the series progresses which actually gives it a satisfying climax. This is unlike a number of shows which start strong but steadily decline into a mess.

Solune

Halycon said:
I was like that too until I saw Gwndolyn in her box tucked in the back of some animu figurine shop in China:
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs42/f/2009/082/5/5/Odin_Sphere__Valkyri_Gwendolyn_by_blackmage9.jpg

I could not say no. Since then I also bought Rocker Haruhi and Kino (as well as a Nico Robin figurine I keep in the closet because I didn't realize she was jointed. Joints = fun for taking pictures, bad for display)
I have that one too, was impossible to NOT purchase <3 Vanillaware.

zeroshiki

Solune said:
Come now, reveal your true intentions.

I... I just want to be able too look at Senjougahara whenever I want to *sniff*sob*

Halycon said:

I also have the rocker Haruhi! It was on sale, dammit!

hosannainexcelsis said:
I wouldn't worry until you have a whole wall lined with them and spend more time talking to them than going outside.

Yes to the wall, no to the talking.

I'm in no way a connoisseur though. I just buy the characters I like without thinking of production quality, sculptors, line or shit like that.

I'm trying to become more sophisticated but don't really feel the need to delve deep into that part of fandom.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
zeroshiki said:
Only exception I'd ever make is for Kino's Journey stuff, but yeah, the fact that I very rarely even desire more than the occasional gunpla (and building models is a hobby from when I was like 8) is proof enough to me that I'm not otaku, just regular enthusiast (though I'm DEFINITELY a NERD).

Dresden

You're not a real fan unless you have a soiled pillow with a drawing of your waifu on it.

My fandom is pretty much restricted to dee-vee-dees, blu rays, and manga. I don't really dig figurines or nendroids or whatever. That said I need to start buying ART. Nothing says culture like a picture of a woman with worms infesting her eyes (and the cheese she's holding).

firehawk12 said:
Yay! I also liked how it the show was essentially an anthology series but it managed to overtly link the individual stories together with more than just theme.

And yeah, other than random Shaftisms, I haven't really seen anything that comes close to the type of animation they've used. I guess it's one of the reasons why I'm curious about C, despite the batshit craziness coming from all the previews.

I wonder if the links between the stories existed in the original books or were added in for the anime. I suspect the latter.

The animation is indeed very unique. C looks anything but, but I'm still holding out hope as well. If Kenji Nakamura as director and Noboru Takagi (Baccano) as scriptwriter turn out a mediocre show, it will be one of the biggest wastes of talent ever.

Jexhius said:
Trapeze is a title whose strengths develop as the series progresses which actually gives it a satisfying climax. This is unlike a number of shows which start strong but steadily decline into a mess.

The first episode made me curious but didn't feel complete, but as more and more pieces fell into place I grew to love Trapeze. Somehow it made an episodic series feel like it had a story arc. The more I think about it, I more I'm in awe that such a show exists.

zeroshiki

doomed1 said:
Only exception I'd ever make is for Kino's Journey stuff, but yeah, the fact that I very rarely even desire more than the occasional gunpla is proof enough to me that I'm not otaku, just regular enthusiast (though I'm DEFINITELY a NERD).

I'd break all the rules for Ghibli stuff.

Goddamn so expensive but so beautiful.

I've almost bought this one so many times

140.jpg

Dresden

Jexhius said:
Yeah but what's the best way to clean it? Do you any tips?
Well, I cover it with kisses first, then form a heart with my hands to transfer my positive energy over to my dimensionally challenged lover.

hellclerk

Dresden said:
You're not a real fan unless you have a soiled pillow with a drawing of your waifu on it.
I actually sort of DO want a body pillow though. They actually look pretty comfy. My pride would never let me have anything on it though. Unless it was a Luchador ala Travis Touchdown, because then it's more about irony and humor than FOREVER ALONE.

Geneijin

Only reason why I haven't bought a figure yet is because I rationalized it's money better spent on OSTs I want. :lol

Dresden said:
What if my waifu is sold out or there isn't any available like my waifu?

Haly

I strip the cover off and then dunk her repeatedly in warp soapy water. After that I hang her up and beat her until she's dry.

zeroshiki

doomed1 said:
I actually sort of DO want a body pillow though. They actually look pretty comfy. My pride would never let me have anything on it though. Unless it was a Luchador ala Travis Touchdown, because then it's more about irony and humor than FOREVER ALONE.

Having a dude on there would make it 100x creepier.

hellclerk

zeroshiki said:
Having a dude on there would make it 100x creepier.
Not if it's a Luchador! Luchadors are cool and manly!

Yeah, I know, I'd only get a blank body pillow, because I refuse to give in to FOREVER ALONE!

Haly

Dresden said:
I didn't know you were into that kinky stuff.
I'm not, but you know how it is. Your perfect animu waifu looks at you with that pleading look, teary eyed, begging you to beat her, whip her, drip hot wax over her, hang her up and stuff her like a thanksgiving turkey.

How could anyone say no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom