• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Weekly Oricon DVD & Blu-ray Rankings for Apr 4 - 10
DVD
*1, 44,705 *,*44,705 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.3
*2, 12,027 *,*12,027 Sengoku Basara Two vol.7
*3, *9,381 *,**9,381 Hakuouki Hekketsuroku vol.4 Limited Edition
*4, *6,123 *,**6,123 Kuroshitsuji II vol.7 Limited Edition
*5, *4,035 *,**4,035 Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai vol.4 Limited Edition
*6, *3,929 *,**3,929 Toaru Majutsu no Index II vol.3 Limited Edition
*7, *3,350 *,**3,350 Starry☆Sky vol.2 Special Edition
*8, *3,165 *,**3,165 Bleach Hamen Metsubo Hen vol.2
*9, *2,866 *,*10,302 Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi DVD Box vol.1
10, *2,764 *,**2,764 Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto vol.3 Limited Edition
11, *2,539 *,**2,539 One Piece 12th Season vol.2
12, *2,531 *,**2,531 One Piece 12th Season vol.1
13, *2,434 *,**2,434 Cardcaptor Sakura DVD Box vol.3
14, *2,201 *,**2,201 Motto To LOVE-Ru vol.5 Limited Edition
15, *2,018 *,**2,018 Shakugan no Shana II DVD Box vol.2
16, *1,850 *,**7,362 Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi DVD Box vol.2
17, *1,698 *,**1,698 Level E vol.2 Limited Edition
18, *1,632 *,**8,213 Hetalia World Series vol.5 Limited Edition
19, *1,629 *,**1,629 Otome Youkai Zakuro vol.5 Limited Edition
20, *1,548 *,**1,548 Tegami Bachi Reverse vol.4 Limited Edition
21, *1,346 *,**1,346 Naruto: Shippuuden Kako Hen vol.1
22, *1,274 *,**9,068 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.1
23, *1,232 *,**1,232 Brain Powerd DVD-BOX
24, *1,221 *,**1,221 Keroro Gunsou 7th Season vol.2
25, *1,176 1,065,875 My Neighbor Totoro

Blu-ray
*1, 87,012 *87,012 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.3
*2, 15,959 *15,959 Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai vol.4 Limited Edition
*3, 11,473 *11,473 Toaru Majutsu no Index II vol.3 Limited Edition
*4, *5,722 **5,722 Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto vol.3 Limited Edition
*5, *3,242 **3,242 Motto To LOVE-Ru vol.5 Limited Edition
*6, *3,136 **3,136 Mononoke Blu-ray BOX
*7, *3,026 **3,026 .hack//Quantum vol.3
*8, *2,137 *23,711 IS: Infinite Stratos vol.1
*9, *1,577 **1,577 Seikon no Qwaser: Jotei no Shouzou
10, *1,341 **1,341 Yosuga no Sora vol.5
11, *1,177 *34,164 K-ON!! vol.9 Limited Edition
12, *1,156 **1,156 Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu! vol.1 Limited Edition
13, *1,044 **1,044 Armored Trooper Votoms: Votoms Finder
14, *1,026 **1,026 Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge vol.4 Limited Edition
15, **,817 108,773 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.2
16, **,788 ***,788 Kaichou wa Maid-sama! vol.9 Limited Edition
17, **,556 **1,520 Fortune Arterial: Akai Yakusoku vol.4
18, **,533 ***,533 Shiki vol.6 Limited Edition
19, **,504 **4,180 Freezing vol.1
20, **,420 109,273 Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn vol.1
21, **,381 ***,381 Bakuman vol.3 Limited Edition
22, **,377 **3,283 Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls vol.5
23, **,365 ***,365 Detective Conan Movie 11: Jolly Roger in the Deep Azure
24, **,356 **3,141 Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! vol.1
25, **,341 ***,341 Mazinkaiser SKL vol.3
26, **,337 **3,780 Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu: Matsuri vol.2

Paprikka

Sket Dance 2 - Seemed like it had a bit too much yelling, but was otherwise good, and it had the first "That's our Switch!" moment. If there's any reason to watch this show, it's for Switch shenanigans, the better of which come later on.

It also had the ED this time with a song by The Pillows, which I'm hoping means the rock contest is going to be an episode at some point since if I remember correctly they did a cover of a Pillows song for it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
doomed1 said:
Y'all know nothing about K-On selling out until you've seen the live concerts. They're a huge sham, don't even play their own instruments, and those voices sound fukk'n WEIRD coming out of grown women. They should have just pulled a Gorillaz and put up an animation from KyoAni for a live reading and sound synching instead of a bunch of grown-ass women pretending to play instruments and look pretty. It's no better than some random idol concert. Literally turned my stomach.
a) What did you expect? :lol
b) They actually did learn to mangle one song. I can't remember which one it was though, but the Mio actress had to learn to play the bass left handed.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Not that I'm in the position to write a dissertation on animu, or anything at all, but if I were to do so, it'd totally be about Revolutionary Girl Utena.
I would do it, but I see that Clarissa is already on track with that one. Although I imagine that Utena has been the subject of many, many essays already.

MCD

Star Driver

My humble opinion: watch first episode then skip straight to the last.

Final episode was so goooood. Sexcellent animation, great twist and a good ending which is, a surprise coming from BONES. (if a bit too happy.)

Takuto goes BATSHIT INSANE. He SPACE FUCK EVERYONE just because HE CAN SEE IT. If only he did that the past 24 episodes, what a shame.

And this is why Star Driver is a wasted potential; we needed more hot blooded space fuck action, less yaoi girls uguu.

Ezalc

Paprikka said:
Sket Dance 2 - Seemed like it had a bit too much yelling, but was otherwise good, and it had the first "That's our Switch!" moment. If there's any reason to watch this show, it's for Switch shenanigans, the better of which come later on.

It also had the ED this time with a song by The Pillows, which I'm hoping means the rock contest is going to be an episode at some point since if I remember correctly they did a cover of a Pillows song for it.

This anime is awesome, the moment the ED started playing I recognized that it was The Pillows, I remember the rock contest episode being in the trailer for the show so that coupled with the ED probably means that the episode will come and it'll be amazing. The show is awesome, definitely loving it as much as the manga I just wonder how they'll handle
Switch's actual voice during the flashback later on.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Those lists can't be that old if they both have Summer Wars on them. Which must be the opposite of rose-tinted nostalgia, rose-tinted recency? I didn't know Japan was quite that fond of Cagliostro.
Recency bias, it's certainly pretty powerful. People seem to really love Summer Wars, to an extent I find a tad puzzling.

I approve of this Cagliostro love in that Japan is indulging in.
icarus-daedelus said:
And lol at Tomino's fourth favorite anime being Gundam.
He's as subtle in his selection as he is in his writing.

Paprikka said:

Depends on what is the overall episode count for this.

@ bold: It was

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why is Summer Wars on both lists but The Girl Who Leapt Through Time not?

And I guess more OreImo and Index is inevitable at this point.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
7Th said:
Interesting, oldass, lists:

I saw those on /m/ a few days ago, but this:

Yoshikuki Tomino's, director of Gundam, most favorite anime
1. Mighty Atom (Osamu Tezuka)
2. Ashita no Joe (Osamu Dezaki)
3. Heidi, Girl of the Alps (Isao Takahata)
4. Gundam (Yoshiyuki Tomino)

is still totally hilarious.

duckroll

firehawk12 said:
Why is Summer Wars on both lists but The Girl Who Leapt Through Time not?

There are lots of possible reasons. Summer Wars in general probably resonates better with the Japanese audience because of the subject matter and the range of the large cast. It's also trendier and more original in terms of theme and designs. Tokikake on the other hand is based on existing novel, and the subject matter is pretty mundane and low-key.

I think that Tokikake is by far the superior movie, but I definitely think that Summer Wars is more popular in general. It's very similar to how Nolan's best movie is The Prestige, but because it is an adaptation of a novel and it deals with two magicians who have a rivalry, it doesn't get as much attention as his other films which have much stronger initial plot hooks like Memento, Inception and TDK.

Paprikka

Ezalc said:
This anime is awesome, the moment the ED started playing I recognized that it was The Pillows, I remember the rock contest episode being in the trailer for the show so that coupled with the ED probably means that the episode will come and it'll be amazing. The show is awesome, definitely loving it as much as the manga I just wonder how they'll handle
Switch's actual voice during the flashback later on.
That's good news then, though I guess at this point it's more of a question when instead of if considering how closely the show is following the manga. As for the spoiler I'm assuming they'll just
remove the slight robotic tinge they have in his voice right now.

Jex

duckroll said:
There are lots of possible reasons. Summer Wars in general probably resonates better with the Japanese audience because of the subject matter and the range of the large cast. It's also trendier and more original in terms of theme and designs. Tokikake on the other hand is based on existing novel, and the subject matter is pretty mundane and low-key.
Pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Summer Wars was clearly designed to appeal to a lot of people so it's no surprise that it's the more popular of the two.

Also, there's a lack of Satoshi Kon on those lists. I assumed people would at least bring up Millennium Actress.

duckroll

Jexhius said:
Also, there's a lack of Satoshi Kon on those lists. I assumed people would at least bring up Millennium Actress.

Kon is much more famous outside of Japan than he is in Japan. The overseas critics and film festivals love him, but I've never felt that there was much of a similar vibe in Japan other than the general respect he gets from the much smaller fanbase which appreciates high quality animated productions in general. Even then, I would say that Kon's selection of staff for his films get more attention from the sakuga fan circles than Kon himself.

Ezalc

Paprikka said:
That's good news then, though I guess at this point it's more of a question when instead of if considering how closely the show is following the manga. As for the spoiler I'm assuming they'll just
remove the slight robotic tinge they have in his voice right now.

I forgot what chapter the contest was but I don't think it will come up for a while. As for your spoilered response
I hope it sounds completely different.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
There was also the Media Arts Festival picks as well.

TOP 10 Anime chosen by Media Arts Festival Jury (include Tomino)

1 Nausica of the Valley of the Wind 1980s
2 Astro Boy 1960s
3 AKIRA 1980s
4 Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro 1970s
4 Manga Nihon Mukashi Banashi 1970s
6 Evangelion 1990s
7 Gundam 1970s
8 Sazae-san 1960s
8 Galaxy Express 999 1970s
8 Doraemon 1970s
8 My Neighbor Totoro 1980s
8 Mt. Head 2000s

http://plaza.bunka.go.jp/hundred/choice.html

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
duckroll said:
Kon is much more famous outside of Japan than he is in Japan. The overseas critics and film festivals love him, but I've never felt that there was much of a similar vibe in Japan other than the general respect he gets from the much smaller fanbase which appreciates high quality animated productions in general. Even then, I would say that Kon's selection of staff for his films get more attention from the sakuga fan circles than Kon himself.
Which proves how misguided they are.

Dresden

duckroll said:
Huh, wow.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nonoriri said:
is still totally hilarious.
"I'm so awesome".

duckroll said:

I think that Tokikake is by far the superior movie, but I definitely think that Summer Wars is more popular in general. It's very similar to how Nolan's best movie is The Prestige, but because it is an adaptation of a novel and it deals with two magicians who have a rivalry, it doesn't get as much attention as his other films which have much stronger initial plot hooks like Memento, Inception and TDK.
Yeah, Tokikake is much more subdued, both in terms of characterization and visual style... I guess that just means people are easily impressed by bombast and pretty colours then.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
firehawk12 said:
Yeah, Tokikake is much more subdued, both in terms of characterization and visual style... I guess that just means people are easily impressed by bombast and pretty colours then.
And randomly hitting keys on keyboards being equivalent to VR.

duckroll

Hitokage said:
Which proves how misguided they are.

Well, I tend to like to see it from multiple angles. If we look at it just from the point of view of "Yes well Kon's films are fantastic and they are fantastic because of Kon's vision, why don't people like that? Damn they have bad taste!" then yes, they're misguided.

But at the same time, it's also interesting to ponder why his stuff doesn't resonate that well with the domestic audience. I don't have a real answer for that, but I'll venture a theory that perhaps Kon's films are actually too much like live action.

I've actually mentioned this curious phenomenon before, but the anime shows which are directed and designed in the most realistic ways are often also either generally unpopular or very unpopular in Japan. Examples include Cowboy Bebop, Denno Coil, Michiko and Hacchin, and Sword of the Stranger. They emphasize (relatively) realistic character designs, and the animation and direction are meant to convey a sense of realism and believability in both the motion of characters and the camera.

In terms of style, Kon is very similar too. As such, it seems that shows like this don't really jive with what Japanese anime fans enjoy, and are not what Japanese audiences in general "expect" from animation. They prefer stuff which are more stylized, more exaggerated, and more... exciting (?). In contrast, while a lot of anime from Japan are written off as childish, ridiculous, perverted, or plain stupid by western audiences, it is the ones which convey the sense I mentioned above which tend to get the most attention and popularity from critic circles and audiences who don't generally watch anime.

Just my two cents.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hitokage said:
And randomly hitting keys on keyboards being equivalent to VR.
Hack the planet, yo.

duckroll said:
Well, I tend to like to see it from multiple angles. If we look at it just from the point of view of "Yes well Kon's films are fantastic and they are fantastic because of Kon's vision, why don't people like that? Damn they have bad taste!" then yes, they're misguided.

But at the same time, it's also interesting to ponder why his stuff doesn't resonate that well with the domestic audience. I don't have a real answer for that, but I'll venture a theory that perhaps Kon's films are actually too much like live action.

I've actually mentioned this curious phenomenon before, but the anime shows which are directed and designed in the most realistic ways are often also either generally unpopular or very unpopular in Japan. Examples include Cowboy Bebop, Denno Coil, Michiko and Hacchin, and Sword of the Stranger. They emphasize (relatively) realistic character designs, and the animation and direction are meant to convey a sense of realism and believability in both the motion of characters and the camera.

In terms of style, Kon is very similar too. As such, it seems that shows like this don't really jive with what Japanese anime fans enjoy, and are not what Japanese audiences in general "expect" from animation. They prefer stuff which are more stylized, more exaggerated, and more... exciting (?). In contrast, while a lot of anime from Japan are written off as childish, ridiculous, perverted, or plain stupid by western audiences, it is the ones which convey the sense I mentioned above which tend to get the most attention and popularity from critic circles and audiences who don't generally watch anime.

Just my two cents.
I think people have strange expectations when it comes to animation, which is why something like Waltz With Bashir probably gets praised more on content that on style or actual animation.

And maybe that's just ingrained by upbringing, since the cartoons people watch in any culture are generally very frenetic and dynamic. We're almost trained to desire cartoons that cause seizures.

I suppose the academic/intellectual reason would be that people expect people to exploit the freedom that animation brings. Which doesn't really explain the popularity of Pixar, since they don't really push the bar when it comes to directing, but oh well.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Geneijin said:
But then it wouldn't be a mecha musume anymore. What do you mean they couldn't draw them? Some of the IS suits referenced (?) Gundam suits apparently.
I was under the impression that the majority of the IS suit stuff was CG. Particularly during the action sequences. I never thought it blended very well.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Planetes 6

I thought this was supposed to be a realistic show about space or something... why then, am I watching a show about lonely space ninjas, grown men surviving violent encounters with wrecking balls, and vigilante parachute rescue squads

437687-WNYAGS0.jpg

Honestly, do I have to be reminded that I'm watching an anime? I'm gonna pretend this episode never happened....

duckroll

Extollere said:
Planetes 6

I thought this was supposed to be a realistic show about space or something... why then, am I watching a show about lonely space ninjas, grown men surviving violent encounters with wrecking balls, and vigilante parachute rescue squads

t1nSj.jpg

Seems pretty realistic to me.

duckroll said:

Just my two cents.

I think anything near to real life events is considered boring and they seek escapism.

I guess that could explain no one caring for Wandering Son.

duckroll

Infinite Justice said:
I guess that could explain no one caring for Wandering Son

Master Keaton, Monster, Aoi Hana, and Wandering Son are all examples of successful manga which are popular with older audiences who don't mind buying and reading manga, but have anime adaptations which have practically zero fanbase because the manga audience for such series do not watch anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
Master Keaton, Monster, Aoi Hana, and Wandering Son are all examples of successful manga which are popular with older audiences who don't mind buying and reading manga, but have anime adaptations which have practically zero fanbase because the manga audience for such series do not watch anime.
Old people probably aren't awake at 2 am, let alone want to watch cartoons then.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
As do I, but I guess I just wasn't aware that Lupin was the most beloved of Miyazaki movies over there.
I guess Lupin=popular, Miyazaki=popular therefore Lupin+Miyzaki=super popular.
icarus-daedelus said:
Is that why they've never done a review of Utena on AWO? They mention it in passing sometimes and I'm always a bit disappointed that they don't give it a full review. I need to know how much Gerald hates it!
That may well be the case, but I imagine it's also a pretty daunting thing to review in itself.

duckroll said:

double ouch then

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Planetes 7

Okay, that was a lot more like it. How the hell did we get such a horrible episode back to back with a pretty good one.

I like a bit of comedy in my drama once in a while, but I hate it when they break the drama with full on anime shenanigans and slapstick... like in episode 6. Hopefully that won't happen again. I need more political drama and geeking out over the vastness of space...

Jex

Extollere said:
Planetes 7
Okay, that was a lot more like it. How the hell did we get such a horrible episode back to back with a pretty good one.
The secret is: they're all good. I can't be alone in thinking that, surely?
duckroll said:
Stop reminding me that anime fans suck!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armor Trooper VOTOMS:Finder

It's about as close to the original Armor Trooper as Case;Irvine was, except that this OVA has really ugly designs and CG crap all over the place. Superb work, Sunrise.

It's not an awful piece, by any stretch of the imagination, just painfully generic and wholly dull.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funimation announce that they are going to simulcast [C], which isn't very surprising. Starting April 21st http://beta.funimation.com/c-control

Jex

Hellsing321 said:
In other Funi news they'll be doing the Simulcast for [C]
http://i.imgur.com/554Uh.jpg/IMG]
[url]http://beta.funimation.com/c-control[/url][/QUOTE]
I like, totally posted that right above you!

Dresden

I wonder how the dub for P&S would work out. On one hand I think the setting works just fine for it, but on the other hand the charm of beetchee and fack would be gone...

That said Laura Bailey should be badass for Panty.

Geneijin

Dance In My Blood said:
I was under the impression that the majority of the IS suit stuff was CG. Particularly during the action sequences. I never thought it blended very well.
Yeah, it was CG but I thought the IS suits blended well honestly until they actually moved because the movements were jerky among other problems with the action. So is your complaint not that they couldn't draw, but the animation during the action sequences were bad? The fight choreograph wasn't decent either. I hate how they zoomed away and looked like specks. I had the same complaints while watching. There wasn't a decent fight in the series. Maybe Episode 12 technically, but because the fights had no emotional weight, I don't remember it at all.

Jexhius said:
I like, totally posted that right above you!
You're missing the big picture.

jman2050 said:
Over/Under on Adult Swim announcement?
Well if any anime would fit perfectly on Adult Swim it would be P&S. They could even break the show up into 26 airings since they have so many shows that are 15 mins. Of course they don't care about licensing other people's show so much anymore when they can just get some interns to make a new show out of duct tape, a coat hanger, and string; for the price of a large coffee at Starbucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom