• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

zeroshiki said:
Sure why not. Just for you, we'll make it extra frilly.
I was thinking more along the lines of assless chaps but, sure, that works too. And besides, it should be part of the regular uniform's design anyway.

Steroyd

[C]

This will either be awesome, or an awesome trainwreck, either way this is going to be awesome.

Hidan No Aria

The most notable thing about the episode was that upwind blows her hair up vertically, but never blows her skirt up vertically, physics, how does it work?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I dont understand why people keep saying C is ugly. When I watched it last night none of the CG didnt really stand out to me as ugly or anything.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Osaka said:
I dont understand why people keep saying C is ugly. When I watched it last night none of the CG didnt really stand out to me as ugly or anything.
meIiY.jpg

LTGCV.jpg

1Qk5U.jpg

nKU43.jpg

Steroyd

Osaka said:

CG is always ugly in anime it's a matter of which is less ugly than the others, C's CG stands out even more than usual.

Jex

Steroyd said:
CG is always ugly in anime it's a matter of which is less ugly than the others, C's CG stands out even more than usual.
Spirited Away and Macross Plus say you're not entirely correct!

[C] isn't appalling but it is ugly.

C 1
Not sure about this one, kinda interseting setup but all this financial stuff is like code for random electric sword duels + familiars?

Too many shows that are at least decent so far this season so the usual cull the turds after 2-3 eps will become cull stuff I actually like, still more stuff I haven't gotten around to/havent started yet too.

Steroyd

Osaka said:
None of the screenshots above seem ugly to me, so I guess I'm just luckier than you guys.

Screenshots suck at showing CG's ugly form.

zn8vt3.gif

Looked like they used a PS2 to make the CG.

Jexhius said:
Spirited Away and Macross Plus say you're not entirely correct!

[C] isn't appalling but it is ugly.

Bah it always feel like cheating when someone uses the Ghibli card. The CG in C isn't even attemptiing to blend into the 2D animation, which puts me off more than other shows attempts.

Steroyd

Denpa Onna - 01

Dat opening, DAT OPENING, OH GOD MY EARS!

Aging in anime is broken.

There it is! The one hundred thirty five degree Shaft neck twist!!

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
7Th said:
The ugliest part of C isn't even the CG, you know.

You're right. The part that weirded me out in C were the eyes of the protagonist.

So anyway, what else is worth watching than these:

Toriko
C
X-Men
Kaiji

I'm not really into the whole lolimoestuff so none of that please :(

Steroyd

Osaka said:
You're right. The part that weirded me out in C were the eyes of the protagonist.

Toriko
C
X-Men
Kaiji

Hanasaku Iroha and Dororon Enma Kun, Tiger and Bunny has had a solid 2 episodes as well.

pieatorium said:
Sounds like a wrestling move lol

Orly-1.jpg

duckroll

Dresden said:
My Last Day -Jesus Animu-

So they got 4c to do it? Could be interesting.

Thanks for the link. I just watched it, and liked it quite a lot. It's pretty good anime preparation for Holy Week next week! I could do without the lame CG cloud transition near the end though, but err whatever. It was pretty violent though!

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Dororon Enma-kun 1 & 2

Fun show. Lots of nice moments, great art of course. I'll definitely keep watching. Can't help but feel it's disappointing in comparison to the Re:Cutie Honey OVAs though. The faster, Panty & Stocking esque pace of those seemed to suit Go Nagai's style much better than this effort, especially in the battle sequences. It's just less funny.

Nichijou 2

Much improved over episode 1. Business as usual at KyoAni, can't say much wrong. I hope they don't keep pulling that "here's one interestingly/weirdly animated scene per ep" trick, it has shades of Lucky Star but this show should be aiming much higher than that.

jman2050

Spring 2011 is stacked with some pretty interesting shows, even though I think it leans a bit far towards the dramatic side. Oh well.

Wasn't Madoka originally supposed to be a spring show? How crazy would this season be if THAT happened?

mollipen

Amagami is the show with this character, right? I know nothing about the show, but I've seen her everywhere and am quite a fan of the character design. (Plus, if I dyed my hair black it would probably be the spitting image of hers in its current stage.)

1rTiL.jpg

Ezalc

Osaka said:

Toriko
C
X-Men
Kaiji

Sket-Dance
Tiger and Bunny

Joule

Dresden said:
It's Kana Asumi, not teh rie. Not sure if she's a tsun-tsun or not, I didn't watch Amamagimi.
She might turn out to be a little tsun-tsun in her extra episode but in the series she's pretty much just an energetic little sister.

Cwarrior

Osaka said:

Toriko
C
X-Men
Kaiji

stein; gate
bananas x microwave + time travel = awesome time

has anyone body watched amagami ss then?

firehawk12 said:
Wow, was that made to proselytize to Japanese audiences?

More or less. Both The Flying House and its companion series Superbook were an attempt to counteract the low mind-share of Christianity in Japan by teaching young children Bible stories. I watched them quite a bit growing up, and while not great they do get the job done.

My Last Day, on the other hand, is quite good. Short, simple, but effective. And appropriate for this time of year.

duckroll said:
It was pretty violent though!

At least not as violent as The Passion of the Christ!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
hosannainexcelsis said:
More or less. Both The Flying House and its companion series Superbook were an attempt to counteract the low mind-share of Christianity in Japan by teaching young children Bible stories. I watched them quite a bit growing up, and while not great they do get the job done.

My Last Day, on the other hand, is quite good. Short, simple, but effective. And appropriate for this time of year.
Meaning they "worked" as it were? You know, I'm surprised there isn't a Left Behind anime, since that seems a bit synergistic for that specific purpose.

shidoshi said:
Amagami is the show with this character, right? I know nothing about the show, but I've seen her everywhere and am quite a fan of the character design. (Plus, if I dyed my hair black it would probably be the spitting image of hers in its current stage.)
Yeah, although she looks weird in that pic for some reason.

Joule said:
She might turn out to be a little tsun-tsun in her extra episode but in the series she's pretty much just an energetic little sister.
Niishishishishi.

doomed1 said:
Dissonant styles aren't uncommon and a few are famous for them. It's a manner of expressing something that "normal" music can't. It's just not often you hear something sung this legato in such a high pitch, so I can see how it would annoy, but the vocal style was done by design. I think the song fits the show really well, personally, especially with how SparklesInMoonlight speaks, and the lyrics more or less are about the MC being the only one who bothers to talk to the blue haired pariah. I'm sorry all music can't be a Hallelujah Chorus to your ears.

I have no problem with dissonance. I enjoy composers such as Schoenberg or Messiaen who use creative and adventurous sonorities to create bewitching sound worlds. But if you strip away the poor performance from the Denpa OP, it's just a standard pop song. It's rhythmically stagnant, harmonically restricted to a few basic triadic progressions, and melodically built around repetitive motives. Musically the only interesting part is the contrast between the heavy and dark instrumental accompaniment and the very high and hollow solo vocalist.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the vocal style, since it sounds pretty non-legato to me. What bothers me most about the soloist's singing is how physically unhealthy it is. There's no breath support; she's just forcing the sound straight through a tense throat and pinched nose. She's going to exhaust her voice trying to keep that up, so hopefully it's not how she sings all the time.

I'm sure everything is intentional and that this song fits its lyrics and Denpa Onna very well. But out of context, it's just a bad song.

Ano Hana whatever 1:
Decent first episode. Menma is kind of annoying (
I'm not big on the whole 'ghost keeps saying things to the person who can hear him/her causing them to repeatedly embarrass themselves' trope
), but the concept is pretty interesting and I thought there were some strong moments in the episode.

Kettch

Steins Gate has been really good so far. Gotten bigger laughs from it than anything else this season, which I definitely wasn't expecting.

Still not sure if I should keep watching or just wait for a translation of the visual novel though. This seems like the type that would be really difficult to faithfully adapt.

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:
Also, I told you so.
I bow to your wisdom.

Kettch said:
Steins Gate has been really good so far. Gotten bigger laughs from it than anything else this season, which I definitely wasn't expecting.

Still not sure if I should keep watching or just wait for a translation of the visual novel though. This seems like the type that would be really difficult to faithfully adapt.
As for Steins Gate, I'm not digging it but I'll keep watching, because the VN isn't going to be translated anytime soon. It's just been utterly uninteresting so far; the one part that could've gone somewhere--the 'debate' between Kurisu and Okarin--was apparently cut short.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dresden said:
It's just been utterly uninteresting so far; the one part that could've gone somewhere--the 'debate' between Kurisu and Okarin--was apparently cut short.
It was hilarious and educational! Kurisu totally dominated Okabe at every turn in her reasoning. "Isn't that right Hououin-san?" So malicious, so good. She even burned him with a Back to the Future reference.
ik5XgY.JPG

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Ah, there it goes. Not too surprising though.

And besides, Stu Levy has been dead for some time.

http://i.imgur.com/1ql2kl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I guess that nation-wide tour didn't help things. :p

Cwarrior

Hidan no Aria Episode 1

Watch it, to see how bad it is, its even worse then i thought.

Tsundere girl could be the worse yet with lines like "love is rubbish" shm and it had end with "kinji become my slave" which made think i haven't watched this before (toradora and znt)

what show was it that was made by the people who made toradora?

edit: thanks flawfuls

going to watch that, then denpa onna and dogs days after

Go_Ly_Dow

So my current Spring line up is as follows:

Madoka (lol)
Hanasaku Iroha
Tiger & Bunny
Nichijou
The World God Only Knows II

Currently on hold/dropped:

Steins Gate will read weekly opinions just to see if this goes anywhere, sorry I9 =(

About to watch for the hell of it:

C:
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko Episode 1
Hidan no Aria Episode 1
Ano Hi Mita

Steroyd said:
[C]

This will either be awesome, or an awesome trainwreck, either way this is going to be awesome.

Win/Win situation!

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Kettch said:

Really? I cant remember any LoL moments in any of the episodes. What I did see was some slow story telling. I know they are building up to something, but right now it seems like they fill half the show with inane crap.

What was the point with the scene with Ruka. Is this character gonna be relevant later on in the series? What was up with the debate in the classroom. Why didnt we see any of it. Why didnt they shorten the Ruka scene and flesh out the debate instead?

Then they try to leave off with a cliff hanger ending with the bananas. Oh noes the bananas are on the desk. Strange? Yes? Do I care? No.

Ill give it 1 more episode to catch my attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom