• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aria Scarlet Ammo

It was all right. It's pretty refreshing to have a protagonist that doesn't take shit from the token tsundere. Also nice that she shut up the typical repressed love talk/innuendo in class with her guns.

Might watch the next episode.

Cwarrior

Orin GA said:
Really? I cant remember any LoL moments in any of the episodes. What I did see was some slow story telling. I know they are building up to something, but right now it seems like they fill half the show with inane crap.

What was the point with the scene with Ruka. Is this character gonna be relevant later on in the series? What was up with the debate in the classroom. Why didnt we see any of it. Why didnt they shorten the Ruka scene and flesh out the debate instead?

Then they try to leave off with a cliff hanger ending with the bananas. Oh noes the bananas are on the desk. Strange? Yes? Do I care? No.

Ill give it 1 more episode to catch my attention.

well I did find it quite funny

"dr pepper drink of the chosen ones"

"i eated gel banana"

"your banana is soft and squishy"(super cute voice)

mia wafu jokes

ryoma's paranoia

tumblr_ljlrwirnHS1qa8kz9o1_500.jpg

tumblr_ljaps5Aoux1qbpriuo1_500.gif

Geneijin

Cwarrior said:
has anyone body watched amagami ss then?
Watch Episode 5-8 if you want to watch it for sex hair (Kaoru Tanamachi). It's an an omnibus format, so you won't miss anything by doing so. Wouldn't recommend Amagami SS at all personally. It's a romantic comedy harem anime. Take that however you will.

PQfRO.gif

Jex

Geneijin said:
Wouldn't recommend Amagami SS at all personally. It's a romantic comedy harem anime. Take that however you will.
It's like mixing poison with poison. But that's true for the whole genre I suppose.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aoi Bungaku 8: Run Melos

I just thought I'd rewatch the Ryosuke Nakamura section of this program. It occurs to me that he really enjoys non-linear storytelling devices where multiple strands of the stories timeline are woven together in a way that doesn't immediately explain to the audience what is actually going on. Figures, like the King, can even move smoothly between story-segments that are occurring simultaneously because they all exist within the authors head. There's an expectation that the audience is adult enough to keep up with what's going on.

I can't wait to see what he's working on next.

Cwarrior

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko ep 1

I have no clue what i just watched?

The production value was good with its fluid leg animation, the ending song was cute but with the guy flirting with his aunty as a hint am worried incest is around the corner

Jex

Berserk 9

Mmm one of my favourite episodes, for a number of reasons. It's easily the most pivotal episode in the series because it directly causes all the events that follow. Perhaps this actually makes it one of the most important events in the whole storyline? Either way, there's a lot packed into those twenty minutes.

On the character level we have some stirrings within Guts' heart. He's always been a brutal killing machine with a troubled past but recent episodes have humanised him via his interactions with the Band of the Hawk. However this episode is what sets him off on a whole new path.

At the start of this episode, Guts is a willing follower of Griffith, happy and able to carry out any of his masters wishes. Yet it's the conversation by the fountain that will eventually put an end to all that, by planting in his head the notion that true friends must stand as equals. He realises that Griffith sees him as merely as a tool and that by following another man he will never come into his own. This seed will eventually grow until it blossoms as a rift that will destroy the Band of the Hawk.

The actual details of the assassination are quite interesting as well. Guts kills a whole bushel of people in every fight but these killings aren't really just unimportant events. Here, however, care is put to fully characterise General Yurius. We understand why he has tried to kill Griffith, his angers, his frustration and his concern for lineage that he takes out on his son during their training duel. He isn't just a cardboard villain, evil for the sake of being evil. His actions are understandable. What's worse is that Guts feels some connection with the son, as he too suffered harsh tutelage under Gambino. This level of insight into their characters may be light, but it's still far greater than any opponent Guts will hack to pieces throughout the show.

As an assassin, Guts is all you'd imagine. Swift, cool, deadly and completely unsubtle. Perhaps one of Judeau's throwing knives would have done the trick, but a 5 foot sword? You'd think Griffith would have realised this, but perhaps he's happy with Guts butchering a squadron of guards and a child, after all, it certainly sends a message. None will be spared. Griffith's reaction when he here's the news down by the fountain isn't one of anger at a botched job, instead he's thoroughly pleased with the nights bloody events.

We even manage to fit in an important character speech from Griffith, as he explains his ideals in relation to pursuing one's dreams and standing as equals. This allows for the Princess Charlotte sub-plot to emerge and as Casca overhears their discussion the nature of her attitude towards Griffith and Guts begins to change.

Kettch

Orin GA said:
Really? I cant remember any LoL moments in any of the episodes.

The Steins Gate 2 highlights for me were:

-Hououin's complete evisceration in the debate.
-The Yu Kobayashi character inevitably being male (I'll never get tired of this).
-Sara, Claudia, Simoooona.
-Feyris, finally someone who plays along with Hououin's delusional rantings.
-Your 2D wives are crying.
-Latest unpowered phone call.

All of those had me laughing a lot, along with Hououin's rantings in general.

Geneijin

Jexhius said:
It's like mixing poison with poison. But that's true for the whole genre I suppose.
As much as I hate the genre, I enjoy it to a discernible degree. Stockholm syndrome? I don't know. If someone wanted to know which was the better poison however, it would be wholly dependent on their tolerance for it, which I seldom want to be the cause of since I'll be administering it in some way. It's also probably why I've butted heads with some people because my frankness of the genre often reads too negatively apparently.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Man... that really shows how disappointing the art is for Steins;Gate's anime. Why couldn't they make the art look all filtery looking for the anime?

Surely if Gonzo could do something like that in 2004, then White Fox could in 2011.

Dresden

White Fox is no Gonzo (well, Gankutsuou-era Gonzo, a.k.a. Bizarro Gonzo, the one that actually made a decent show).

That said I'm fine with how the anime looks.

duckroll

Dresden said:
White Fox is no Gonzo (well, Gankutsuou-era Gonzo, a.k.a. Bizarro Gonzo, the one that actually made a decent show).

That said I'm fine with how the anime looks.

Panty and Stocking has the best use of CG in anime in a TV series in the last few years imo.

duckroll

icarus-daedelus said:
It's too bad Bizarro Gonzo popped into existence for Gankutsuou and disappeared immediately after, never to be heard of again.

I know it's 'controversial,' as if anything isn't, but I always liked the texture effect they used for the clothing and hair patterns in that show. I daresay I even think it's visually appealing. Gulp.

Gankutsuou being what it is has less to do with Gonzo's skill level changing suddenly, and everything to do with the fact that the production leveraged so heavily on letting Mahiro Maeda do pretty much exactly what he wanted on the project visually.

Ano Hana
That was a really great first episode. Looks like this will be the BAAAWWWW show of the season. I can see Menma growing annoying after a while so hopefully they tone her down. The amount of quality shows this season is staggering.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dance In My Blood said:
I vote for any local alternative.
I can only get delivery since my left leg currently numb and none of the local places nearby deliver. Dad is ordering for me from another city as well.

Geneijin said:
A real anime fan eats at Pizza Hut. Give in to the advertising they paid for.

icarus-daedelus said:
Cheese-crust pizza at a sit-down Pizza Hut. Bring your laptop
and your meido outfit :3
with you.
Two votes for Pizza Hut!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
duckroll said:
Gankutsuou being what it is has less to do with Gonzo's skill level changing suddenly, and everything to do with the fact that the production leveraged so heavily on letting Mahiro Maeda do pretty much exactly what he wanted on the project visually.

And we thank them for it.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
duckroll said:
Panty and Stocking has the best use of CG in anime in a TV series in the last few years imo.

It has the best use of CG in (TV) anime ever.

Cwarrior

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shirana episode 1

I see lolicons o_O what a nightmare this guys living even my cold black dead heart feels sorry for him.

My current show of the season now lets just hope it doesn't turn to crap like toradora

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
hosannainexcelsis said:
I have no problem with dissonance. I enjoy composers such as Schoenberg or Messiaen who use creative and adventurous sonorities to create bewitching sound worlds. But if you strip away the poor performance from the Denpa OP, it's just a standard pop song. It's rhythmically stagnant, harmonically restricted to a few basic triadic progressions, and melodically built around repetitive motives. Musically the only interesting part is the contrast between the heavy and dark instrumental accompaniment and the very high and hollow solo vocalist.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the vocal style, since it sounds pretty non-legato to me. What bothers me most about the soloist's singing is how physically unhealthy it is. There's no breath support; she's just forcing the sound straight through a tense throat and pinched nose. She's going to exhaust her voice trying to keep that up, so hopefully it's not how she sings all the time.

I'm sure everything is intentional and that this song fits its lyrics and Denpa Onna very well. But out of context, it's just a bad song.
Well, I think I should give some context myself. I'm friends with the guys in this band called The Yellow Dogs, and I really loved their sound, it was this raw punky, discordant rock, and their live show was really energetic and really solid. On their live shows though, they put more reverb on the mics and the vocalist sounds alot less beautifully mastered. It's rough, a little off key, and Obash compresses the fuck out of his vocals, and it's glorious. The song reminded me a bit of The Yellow Dogs. It had this raw garage performance feel to it and that's something I tend to like to appreciate.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
icarus-daedelus said:
Haha, shit, I didn't know Pizza Hut was so ubiquitous a presence in anime. Sorry about your leg, infi-kun, that kind of rules out a sit-down restaurant, but I'd still vote for Pizza Hut if those are your choices.
Thanks~! My leg works aside from that but it isn't recommended I go out too much. I think I'll go ahead and just text Pizza Hut to my Dad now~! Seikon II afterwards for you!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Jexhius said:
Good riddance. I could never forgive them for their handling of the Kino no Tabi light novels. Maybe someone will come forward and pick up the property. I'd actually love it if someone took the light novel format like they'd take, you know, any other young adult book series. Tokyopop's handling of the series (and relatively poorer handling of localizations than say Del Ray, who put in great translator's notes) brought me to avoid their brand from there on out.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
duckroll said:
I think that might be true too, but I didn't want to actually make the statement in case I was forgetting something!

Bold and brash is the way to roll.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Hah, Tiger & Bunny was pretty fun!

Although, I understand the whole sponsor thing but advertising shit like Pepsi or Bandai or Ustream on the show is a bit lame, in my opinion.

Cwarrior

Nonoriri said:
It has the best use of CG in (TV) anime ever.

Wrong Initial D is king when it comes to CG
CG only good when it’s hilariously awesome.

the only time cg has actualy made a show better, normal it makes it worse or its just there and doesn't add nothing.

Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi Ep 2
tumblr_ljpy8uejOq1qbxqfpo1_500.png

After getting off to a fast start, Onodera finally grasped an appreciation for Takano and then through that extremely fast scene with Takano making the action...wow! I hope he gets over his past regret and being jaded and falls for him. Such an intriguing and interesting series that I cant wait for more! Good luck Takano!!!

Go_Ly_Dow

Denpa Onna 1: Shaft craziness. The whole futon thing is very random. I actually enjoyed it none the less. Definitely worth watching episode 2.

Ano Hi Mita Hana 1: Another strange premise. I felt sorry for the main character haha. Surprised by how much I actually enjoyed it.

Animation seems nice for both shows.

trejo said:
Another warrior joins the ranks of the AnoHana faction.

I guess you can count me in...although Hanasaku Iroha is still number 1 for me!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
cosmicblizzard said:
Anyone else really like the OPs this season? Been listening to like 5 of them while jogging. Really like C's.
Favorite OPs are probably either C or Dororon enma-kun this season. Both for their animation and actual song content.

I've also watched AnoHana op over 10 times because it's so mono no aware.;_;

duckroll

cosmicblizzard said:
Anyone else really like the OPs this season? Been listening to like 5 of them while jogging. Really like C's.

Not a big fan of this season's OPs honestly. Dororon is probably the only one so far which I felt worked for me on every level (animation, sync, music, content). Hopefully Deadman Wonderland has a fantastic OP. Otherwise in general although I like quite a few shows this season, the OPs have not grabbed me much. Not creative enough, mostly by the books stuff.

Solune

cosmicblizzard said:
Liking Ano Hana's OP the best so far. Haven't watched the actual first episode but it has me hooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom