• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

Dororon's is definitely the best one. I also like AnoHana's, which is leagues above Iroha's. Worst one is Denpa Onna's by far.

Geneijin

duckroll said:
The war is already over before it started. The one with an official thread wins! Flawless victory! Suck it!
That OT wasn't made until the 2nd episode aired.

But I doubt I would make one for AnoHana though.

Dresden said:
As for the AnoHana vs. Iroha war, Iroha edges it out because its characters don't have awful hair, like that orange twintail.
Just say Menma already :lol

Go_Ly_Dow

Hellsing321 said:
You can't be part of two factions! Pick a side we're at war here!

At this early stage of the season my loyalty can easily waver on a weekly basis. The superior hairstyles present in Iroha is currently the deciding factor but a haircut in either show or a change in hairstyle can change things!

duckroll

M_Night said:
At this early stage of the season my loyalty can easily waver on a weekly basis. The superior hairstyles present in Iroha is currently the deciding factor but a haircut in either show or a change in hairstyle can change things!

Ohana will cut you down if you defect.

Go_Ly_Dow

duckroll said:

Hey, as long as she maintains dat hair then no cutting/stabbing/slashing will be required!

I can't imagine that the directors/producers would change the selling point of the show so, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Branduil

duckroll said:
people%20can%27t%20be%20trusted.jpg

Geneijin

M_Night said:
Hey, as long as she maintains dat hair then no cutting/stabbing/slashing will be required!

I can't imagine that the directors/producers would change the selling point of the show so, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Ohana cutting her hair is all but confirmed now!

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that...

duckroll

Dresden said:
Was Ohana's father ever shown? I wonder if he had -dat hair-, because the worthless mom sure doesn't.

It's implied that her mother is such a tramp that she either doesn't know who the father is, or he wasn't remotely important to her and she didn't stick around.

Dresden said:
Also, Toriko put up some big ratings--almost as big as One Piece. Probably the time-slot, but whatever. :p

Also the value of starting out with a crossover with One Piece. That was definitely a good move on Toei's part.

Dresden said:
Also, Toriko put up some big ratings--almost as big as One Piece. Probably the time-slot, but whatever. :p

Completing the manga story confirmed! I welcome our Toriko/One Piece overlords for the next 10 years.

duckroll

We need to make this official. Who is on the right side and who is on the wrong side. Someone form a list of allies on both sides please.

jman2050

duckroll said:
We need to make this official. Who is on the right side and who is on the wrong side. Someone form a list of allies on both sides please.

I will watch intently on the sidelines, content with the fact that I don't care for either show!

Cwarrior

I have a gut feeling both shows will spiral and turn to shit.

have very little faith in boths teams, so far iorhana has the advantage cause it made through 2 episodes.

Geneijin

AnoHana (1-cour) versus Hanasaku Iroha (2-rcour) are both scripted by Mari Okada, who also scripted Fractale, Canaan, and Gosick interestingly. Also, Menma weighs down the show for many I'm sure of it! The choice is obvious for everyone else but me.

Edited. =P

duckroll

Geneijin said:
AnoHana (1-cour) versus Hanasaku Iroha (2-rcour) are both scripted by Mari Okada, who also scripted Fractale, Canaan, and Gosick interestingly. Also, Menma weighs down the show for many I'm sure of it! The choice is obvious for everyone else but me.

Fixed.

jman2050

An unstable woman went to dispose of her latest kill when she discovers a small female baby abandoned in the dumpster. Being unable to kill women by principle and knowing that a crying baby will eventually draw attention to some... unsavory evidence, she takes the baby for herself.

She originally intends to put the baby up for adoption but discovers that, for some strange reason, Japan has absolutely no child services whatsoever. Befuddled and now saddled with a tyke of unknown origin, she carefully considers her options. Then, like a bolt of lightning, it hits her. Considering the inherent danger in her... line of work, she sets out to raise a protege to follow in her footsteps. Gazing upon random scraps of newspaper in her damp apartment she chooses the first name that catches her eye, which turns out to be a plain-looking ad for the local romen noodle shop: Ohana's

doomed1 said:
Well, I think I should give some context myself. I'm friends with the guys in this band called The Yellow Dogs, and I really loved their sound, it was this raw punky, discordant rock, and their live show was really energetic and really solid. On their live shows though, they put more reverb on the mics and the vocalist sounds alot less beautifully mastered. It's rough, a little off key, and Obash compresses the fuck out of his vocals, and it's glorious. The song reminded me a bit of The Yellow Dogs. It had this raw garage performance feel to it and that's something I tend to like to appreciate.

I figured your enjoyment of the Denpa Onna OP would have to do with your personal musical background. The rawness you speak of just sounds like lack of musical skill to me, but if that's what you value most in music, that's your call.

I'm not particularly fond of the musical examples on The Yellow Dogs' site - that style of singing offends my ears - but they're definitely better and more interesting than the Denpa OP.

Dororon Enma-Kun 2
This show is just awesome. Moe Norio Wakamoto and Princess Yuki getting attacked by Snakes and tentacles twice in one episode? It must be my birthday.

Dresden

I have no idea why, but I watched a bit of Hidan no Aria. I don't know, the sight of those extravagantly long twintails flicking up into the air... it's like the show itself was flipping me off.

Terrible, otherwise. Completely unsympathetic characters, cliches abound, and the setting is so implausible, even for an anime. Only good part was this:

3EcDWl.jpg

Mainly because of how hilarious it looked.

Hellsing321 said:
Dororon Enma-Kun 2
This show is just awesome. Moe Norio Wakamoto and Princess Yuki getting attacked by Snakes and tentacles twice in one episode? It must be my birthday.
ART

Ano Hana etc. 1

Menma was really getting on my nerves at first with her obnoxious energy, but I came around to her
during that scene with her family. Anyone who didn't tear up there has no heart.
So far this is a nice melodramatic heartwarming drama (reminds me of Key) and I look forward to seeing how these former friends reconnect and work through their issues. I hope they don't botch the ending.

Hanasaku Iroha is still better though. Sorry to all one of you who disagree.
I reserve the right to change my opinion down the road.

mAcOdIn

Geneijin said:
Eh, you shouldn't. The new avatar rules were implemented rather quickly, yet the profile pointing to an external avatar location weren't removed yet. I only know of it because there have been threads asking "where is my avatar" or etc.
Still, I shoulda' been paying attention. But at least I wasn't whining about it without having paid any attention to it.
A Black Falcon said:
And also, no avatar is worse than what you say there I think... if you really don't want one you don't have to have one, though, but it does make it easier to identify posts when people have avatars.
Nothing is worse than what I say? Ouch, lol. I think I'll get one just going to choose something new.
A Black Falcon said:
One computer's from 2001, one's from 2004-5, and one's from 2007, so they're from different eras... three (four) different operating systems too -- ME, Linux (Ubuntu) and XP, and Vista.

I did try running the middle machine with the main harddrive from my newer one, but unfortunately it wasn't happy and wouldn't start. Completely different hardware causes issues, and I'd have to do stuff to get it working that I'd rather not do, considering that the goal is to get the newer machine working again, obviously. :)
Ugh, tell you you didn't just transplant the HDD and think it'd run?

I dunno, sounds like you're just against reinstalling Windows, which is fine but you'd be surprised at what that fixes.
A Black Falcon said:
A kid being abandoned by their mother and forced to live with a cruel grandmother who forces her to work in her business or else? I wouldn't call that particularly likely. Sure, in a "could it happen" sense it isn't unrealistic per se, but it's also not too likely outside of fiction.
I'd say that's so likely it shouldn't be relegated to fiction. But part of my life was in farm country where everyone worked, except my family since we didn't farm or do anything like that, my dad just wanted to live out there and commute 30 minutes to work.
A Black Falcon said:
Why does he end up with Houki?
Woah, he ended up with Houki? You inferred all that from that one short scene?
icarus-daedelus said:
This actually means your phone is even more modern, the less battery life it gets the fancier it is! My smartphone has an estimated battery life of four hours and I have to bring the freaking battery cable to work with me. Progress!
I don't think I'd like it if my devices were self evolving. I just took out and put back in the battery and it's gone back to lasting forever, phew, Skynet averted. This time.

Although my current Palm Pre Plus gets horrid battery life like yours, I found a program that lets me underclock it when the screen is off and now it can make it through a whole day, yay progress!
Extollere said:
Planetes 6

I thought this was supposed to be a realistic show about space or something... why then, am I watching a show about lonely space ninjas, grown men surviving violent encounters with wrecking balls, and vigilante parachute rescue squads

Honestly, do I have to be reminded that I'm watching an anime? I'm gonna pretend this episode never happened....
That episode and those two retarded bosses, ugh.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, anime collecting's getting to be BS in the States. First Moribito gets a Bluray and now Twelve Kingdoms? Seriously? This is like out of fucking no where and the first volume's coming in June? Damn Media Blasters, announce this shit further ahead.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh and I guess I should like, I dunno, watch some of the stuff that came out over the last 48 hours.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Time for me to watch Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai. and finally pick a side.
Dawg Dayz is clearly the winner.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Ano Hana etc. 1

Menma was really getting on my nerves at first with her obnoxious energy, but I came around to her
during that scene with her family. Anyone who didn't tear up there has no heart.
So far this is a nice melodramatic heartwarming drama (reminds me of Key) and I look forward to seeing how these former friends reconnect and work through their issues. I hope they don't botch the ending.

Hanasaku Iroha is still better though. Sorry to all one of you who disagree.
I reserve the right to change my opinion down the road.

It's easy though. I feel like Ano Hana is going to be the "sad" show while Hanasaku is going to be the "happy" show. Just pick one based on whichever emotion gets you off.

Uchip

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
Dororon Enma-Kun 2

thats the reason you thought it was awesome?
loli characters and tentacles? lol

Dresden said:
I have no idea why, but I watched a bit of Hidan no Aria. I don't know, the sight of those extravagantly long twintails flicking up into the air... it's like the show itself was flipping me off.

Terrible, otherwise. Completely unsympathetic characters, cliches abound, and the setting is so implausible, even for an anime. Only good part was this:

3EcDWl.jpg

Mainly because of how hilarious it looked.

ART

DAT GRIP LOL

jman2050

Dresden said:

I was watching the first episode wrap up, sort of in a daze trying to figure out if there was one single original idea presented to me in those 22 minutes outside of unmanned machine-gun mounted segways and couldn't think of any. And then Aria finishes off with "Become my slave!" and I just started bursting out laughing. And I don't mean the good type of laughter.

I'm still watching episode 2 ;_;

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Uchip said:
im not a horny tween anymore?
So you admit that you were into lolis and tentacles when you were a horny tween?

Sir you disgust me!

jman2050 said:
I was watching the first episode wrap up, sort of in a daze trying to figure out if there was one single original idea presented to me in those 22 minutes outside of unmanned machine-gun mounted segways and couldn't think of any. And then Aria finishes off with "Become my slave!" and I just started bursting out laughing. And I don't mean the good type of laughter.

I'm still watching episode 2 ;_;

Rie ensnared you huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom