• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Alright, updated:

Animu-GAF war update.

I moved Rektash and M_Night to Team Iroha and put CWarrior in Team AnoHana. I added the other winners to to Team Iroha as well.

Team Winning (Iroha):
Branduil
duckroll
trejo
zeroshiki
Lafiel
Jexhius
icarus-daedalus
flawfuls
Rektash
M_Night
hossanainexcelsis
Dresden
Dance in my Blood
Infernodash
KuwabaraTheMan

Team Loser (Ano Hi Mita Hana No Namae Wo Bokutachi Wa Mada Shiranai):
Geneijin
CWarrior
mAcOdin

Team Wishy-washy (won't take a stand):
jman2050

Jex

duckroll said:
Not a big fan of this season's OPs honestly. Dororon is probably the only one so far which I felt worked for me on every level (animation, sync, music, content). Hopefully Deadman Wonderland has a fantastic OP. Otherwise in general although I like quite a few shows this season, the OPs have not grabbed me much. Not creative enough, mostly by the books stuff.
They've been fairly dill. [C]'s flying through the money is actually really nicely done but the rest of it is dull. Kaiji's is by the book with an annoying track. Ano Hana is one of the few shows where it looks like they tried to tie it all up in a slightly different way
Dresden said:
Iroha's OP would be decent if the song wasn't so awful.
Aint that the truth.

Dresden

zeroshiki said:
Alright, updated:

Animu-GAF war update.

I moved Rektash and M_Night to Team Iroha and put CWarrior in Team AnoHana. I added the other winners to to Team Iroha as well.

Team Winning (Iroha):
Branduil
duckroll
trejo
zeroshiki
Lafiel
Jexhius
icarus-daedalus
flawfuls
Rektash
M_Night
hossanainexcelsis
Dresden.

Team Loser (Ano Hi Mita Hana Bokutachi Wa Mada Shiranai):
Geneijin
CWarrior
Geneijin's last words:

Ō ksein', angellein Anohanaioides hoti tēide
keimetha tois keinōn rhēmasi peithomenoi.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Geneijin said:
Menma is breaking the show for more people than I expected.

I'd say one good thing about her right now is her personality actually fits very well with the context of the narrative, they just need to tone down her antics a bit, and she'll be fine IMO.

I can easily see her getting better past the first episode anyway.

Jex

Dresden said:
Also, Toriko put up some big ratings--almost as big as One Piece. Probably the time-slot, but whatever. :p
Didn't someone put together that study on time-slots recently? It's a pretty huge factor in shows success, for obvious reasons.
Aigis said:
I can't believe they went from the awesome song in the first season OP to... Japanese metalcore? Barf.
I don't get it. The first song was cool AND encompassed one of the themes of the show. Weird to mess it up so hard this round.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
zeroshiki said:
Alright, updated:

Animu-GAF war update.
It's barely a war at this point, more like a massacre!

I'd expect the tide to change up a bit as more episodes come out for both shows, at least.

zeroshiki

Lafiel said:
It's barely a war at this point, more like a massacre!

I'd expect the tide to change up a bit as more episodes come out for both shows, at least.

Complete with defections!

We're gonna have some massive egg on our faces if AnoHana outclasses Iroha but I am confident Iroha will prevail.

I actually really like the Kaiji OP. It works well with the visuals, especially the character introductions and the normal people gambles that Kaiji keeps losing (he's so moe in the last one at the restaurant).

Jex

InfiniteNine said:
Hanasaku Iroha Episode 01:
This was pretty fun so far~! Will watch for some more bitchslappings.
Sounds like someone needs to watch the first half of Oniisama e....
zeroshiki said:
We're gonna have some massive egg on our faces if AnoHana outclasses Iroha but I am confident Iroha will prevail.
Well, the longer a show goes on for the more chances it has to go to shit, so I wouldn't be surprised if AnoHana is better overall by virtue of it's length.

Jexhius said:
They've been fairly dill. [C]'s flying through the money is actually really nicely done but the rest of it is dull. Kaiji's is by the book with an annoying track. Ano Hana is one of the few shows where it looks like they tried to tie it all up in a slightly different way

Yum!

But yeah, Ano Hana is definitely my favorite OP. Solid song, well-animated, well-structured and shows off the theme of the show - good stuff.

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:
I actually really like the Kaiji OP. It works well with the visuals, especially the character introductions and the normal people gambles that Kaiji keeps losing (he's so moe in the last one at the restaurant).
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Madhouse put the OP together like that on purpose--cheesy, auto-tuned metalcore. :p It'd fit with the hilariously ugly ED, for one.
Jexhius said:
Didn't someone put together that study on time-slots recently? It's a pretty huge factor in shows success, for obvious reasons.
Huh, that sounds interesting. But yeah, it does seem obvious.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Complete with defections!

This is like comparing K-On to Madoka. Oh wait, that happened for some reason. :lol

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
I'm not sure how or why, but my phone usually lasts through the day and the night, and I charge it the next morning at work. Unless I discreetly browse the internet at work all day (not that I'd ever do such a thing), in which case it usually still gets a good solid 8 hours. Must be some kind of sorcery, or else Sprint just undersold me on the battery life estimate to make it look more impressive.
I'm so jealous. Seriously. How phones get released that can't make it a day out of the box is beyond me. Should be illegal.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh and add me to the Ano Hi Mita Hana Bokutachi Wa Mada Shiranai side! I like ghosts, I know I'm not being subjective but, well, I like ghosts.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
I live somewhat near an American Indian reservation and my mother works at the elementary school that serves them, and it's pretty common for children to be raised by their grandparents for any variety of reasons, including parental abandonment. I don't know that the grandparents necessarily force their kids to work for the family business, but this is not exactly science fiction territory HanaIro is dealing with regardless. It's certainly plausible in a real world environment unless you are really sheltered.
It's more common in any culture or society with fairly extended facilities, I'd imagine. Grand-parents tend to have a larger role in raising in those kind of societies by default.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
No, no one is being forced to watch every KEY anime adaptation ever made here. Just two above average shows from Spring 2011 with a similar feel to them.
Watching every KEY anime on by one is rather like being Mithradates, supping his poisons every day until he became known as the poison king. Be sure not to suffer his indignant fate, with Pompey on his back and his lands forsaken the only way out was suicide by poison. However, by that point it the poison no longer worked and he had to be stabbed to death. One day you too will become immune and think that KEY shows 'aren't all that bad'.

jman2050

Dresden said:
It was no fluke. :p

Shut up shut up
shut up

icarus-daedelus said:
You do know that dear Kugimiya-sama is also the titular loli succubus of Lotte no Omocha this season, right?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Even I have standards.

zeroshiki said:
Animu-GAF war update.

So far we've got:

Team Winning (Iroha):
Branduil
duckroll
trejo
zeroshiki
Lafiel
Jexhius
icarus-daedalus
flawfuls

Team Loser (Ano Hi Mita Hana Bokutachi Wa Mada Shiranai):
Geneijin
Rektash
M_Night

Anyone else?

I think its obvious which team is gonna win.

I'm on Team no one.

I'll enjoy watching you bastards beat up on each other though!

flawfuls

jman2050 said:
Wait seriously?

I'm starting to think Toradora was a fluke.

It's not JC Staff's fault that the source material is shit. Though I suppose it's their fault for choosing to adapt what they do.

Put me in on team winning... Hanasaku Iroha is definitely the show of the season. Two episodes in and I'm already attached to most of the characters. I'm happy it's a 2-cour series.

Edit: besides Iroha, Kaiji is pure win, and C looks decent. I'm also getting a very good vibe from tiger and bunny. I haven't seen anything else, but those are the shows I'm looking forward to the most, and when deadman wonderland airs then I'll have my complete lineup.

zeroshiki

icarus-daedelus said:
What makes a man go neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

You must pick a side! Of course we all know Dororon Enma-kun is superior, that much is a given; these shows are just fighting it out for the title of second best.

Oh you.

Iroha will be the top show. Or else we will:

vlcsnap-2011-04-16-14h29m44s35.png

Iroha is much better so far; that's pretty obvious.

Lafiel said:
I'd say one good thing about her right now is her personality actually fits very well with the context of the narrative, they just need to tone down her antics a bit, and she'll be fine IMO.

I can easily see her getting better past the first episode anyway.

Yeah, the personality makes sense, but her antics in the first episode were pretty aggravating. It was easily the worst part about the first episode.

duckroll

icarus-daedelus said:
If you can present us with photographic evidence of yourself doing the Shaft Head Tilt without breaking your neck, sure!

This is why TV shows need the "KIDS DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME" disclaimer... :(

7Th

duckroll said:
It seems I'm wrong about this. It's more likely that Kenichi Kutsuna animated this, based on his previous effects seen in different shows which have the same style. I wonder which scene Niho animated then... need better quality video... rawwrr.

How can you watch the shitty X-Men rip that gets released in Fridays? Aren't you afraid of eye cancer?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
What makes a man go neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

You must pick a side! Of course we all know Dororon Enma-kun is superior, that much is a given; these shows are just fighting it out for the title of second best.
The flapping breasts are making me run away, to be honest. :p

And neutral parties always win! Besides, they're both good, so that's enough for me!

Somewhat OT: Fringe did a half animated episode tonight. Looked like bad rotoscoping.

Also, anyone still watching the Supernatural animu?

duckroll

7Th said:
I honestly don't get how can you watch the first X-Men rip released; aren't you afraid of eye cancer?

It might have almost killed Matsuno, but it won't kill me!

I'm not kidding about 50% zoom.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Well, Angel Beatz! really isn't all that bad compared to the rest of them, so far.

Oh god, what's happening to me...
Oh, I see, it's already too late. I'm...sorry.

mAcOdIn

zeroshiki said:
Oh you.

Iroha will be the top show. Or else we will:

vlcsnap-2011-04-16-14h29m44s35.png
Psh, she's all talk however our main character has already caused at least one girl to die.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And that Aria show is going to be, well is, terrible. Fucking Segways with Uzi's? A Parachute that's not really attached to the jumper? And what was that plan, anyways? Surely she wasn't somehow expecting to go up after she caught him, right? That was like the worst set-up I've ever seen. A hang glider would have made more sense.

And why did the MC not ask the Segway with the Uzi what the game was? I would have asked what the conditions for victory were, he just started peddling faster. Loser.

Jexhius said:
Watching every KEY anime on by one is rather like being Mithradates, supping his poisons every day until he became known as the poison king. Be sure not to suffer his indignant fate, with Pompey on his back and his lands forsaken the only way out was suicide by poison. However, by that point it the poison no longer worked and he had to be stabbed to death. One day you too will become immune and think that KEY shows 'aren't all that bad'.

But they aren't bad! At least the ones I've seen: Kanon 2006 is a good show, and Air is decent enough.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
But they aren't bad! At least the ones I've seen: Kanon 2006 is a good show, and Air is decent enough.
Oh good it's spreading. Raise the drawbridges!

If everyone really wants demon wang and flapping breasts then y'all should be watching Apocalypse Zero. Seriously.

Uchip

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
I think you need a visual demonstration of this concept:

kanon2002.png

That's right guys, I'm bringing it back! The original Key show! Suffer like G did!

holy gods
insects are invading!
someone get the bug spray!

Joule

icarus-daedelus said:
Oh god, what's happening to me...
Qwaser II and the continuation of your Key trials at the same time? This won't end well.

----

So I watched AnoHana, that was pretty good. I do enjoy these sort of set ups. Looking forward to see how they develop this. I can see this turning out pretty well. Menma's voice wasn't particularly annoying to me. I also quite like the casting thus far. The Zone cover for the ED was alright too.

This is a really promising season~ The only things that haven't aired are Blue Exorcist and Deadman Wonderland.

trejo

Jexhius said:
Oh good it's spreading. Raise the drawbridges!

If everyone really wants demon wang and flapping breasts then y'all should be watching Apocalypse Zero. Seriously.
That's a funny way of spelling Urotsukidōji.

icarus-daedelus said:
You watched the first episode of Seikon no Qwaser II, firehawk, so you can't use that excuse with me.

There's also demon wang, tentacles, and snakes that are basically tentacles, if the spinning tits aren't enough to draw you in.
Don't forget moe Wakamoto.
MHUBOl.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
You watched the first episode of Seikon no Qwaser II, firehawk, so you can't use that excuse with me.

There's also demon wang, tentacles, and snakes that are basically tentacles, if the spinning tits aren't enough to draw you in.

Obligatory sparkly brofist gif.

Other than just batshit craziness, what is the show even about? :lol

Uchip

Banned
you know
I think the rationality behind kanons character design is that they are supposed to look like they have downs, which is supposed to make us feel sorry for them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom