• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Halycon said:
Are we sure she was
?
I'm kinda confused about that when i think about it she is supposedly
22 at the start of the anime series (20 in the manga), however flashbacks indicate she first met him at around 16 or 18? and when they got married he died shortly after like around a few months or a year
Not so sure what age she was when they got married though mmm

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lafiel said:
I'm kinda confused about that when i think about it she is supposedly
22 at the start of the anime series (20 in the manga), however flashbacks indicate she first met him at around 16 or 18? and when they got married he died shortly after like around a few months or a year
Not so sure what age she was when they got married though mmm
I think they were married for a year. And when she visits Soichiro's grave with Yusaku when she first moved in, a year had passed. So, in total, two years from Soichiro's death to her becoming manager of Maison Ikkoku.

Geneijin

A Black Falcon said:
This level of bad writing does happen sometimes in this genre, certainly, but it's not always as bad, or as nonsensical, as it is in IS... as I've said all along the show is below average for its genre in terms of writing quality, and yeah that is saying something.
That's generous of you. If I were to rank the writing quality of IS, it'd be something like this: if the best writing quality of the genre is average at best (5/10), then within it's own scale, IS writing would be very bad (2/10) since I'm generous too.

trejo said:
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai 2

A couple of minutes in and jesus christ on a cracker what the fuck is going on here!

I think this is now the most none-too-subtle sexual innuendo show of the season.
You should check out the game spoilers if you're curious. You'll be even more confused with the anime's approach to the story!

If you want to know, it's in the spoiler.
dissociative identity disorder

Rektash said:
Hey, I already stated a few pages back that I am in team wishy-washy! If you don't want me in a neutral team it'd probably be AnoHana :O.
So you still chose AnoHana! Your past comments could have gotten you in Iroha.

Halycon said:
Pitching in my things with Team Mono no Aware.
So Team Wishy-Washy? firehawk is the representative of moeno no aware here.

Haly

If firehawk really appreciated Mono no Aware he'd join Team Infinite Sadness.

We must conclude that he is but a poseur.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
A Black Falcon said:
To get a reaction like that, does CLAMP do messed up stuff like that regularly? What are other examples?

Pretty sure X/1999 featured HOT INCESTUAL SIBLING LOVE.

They just love their forbidden love.

Haly

There's also Suki:
Suki.299074.jpg

Halycon said:
I think they were married for a year. And when she visits Soichiro's grave with Yusaku when she first moved in, a year had passed. So, in total, two years from Soichiro's death to her becoming manager of Maison Ikkoku.
So basically if those dates there are right, if the stories are otherwise the same, in the manga they marry when she's 16 or 17 (he dies when she's 18, they had been married for a year, met sometime before that), but in the anime she's 18 or 19 when they marry, so whether it's really creepy or just kind of messed up depends on which version you are looking at? Great.

Halcyon said:
There is no abuse in CLAMP's relationships. Only TRUE LOVE.
Abuse that they claim is true love, you mean.

Steroyd said:
I thought the whole storyline was messed up so I never bothered to do the math of when she had kids (More like i didn't want to), I just think it's a completely unnecessary point in the storyline which would have worked the exact same if she was 18 because ya know, you can be 18 and be in high school, although there's still that Student x Teacher, abuse of position thing going on.
Yeah, that makes sense... don't think about it because of how messed up it is and move on in the series. Unfortunately I can't do that. :(

On the 'unnecessary' point, yes, I agree and said so -- it's so wrong, but it's also bizarre because it'd have been so easy to do it in a way that was much less bad. They pretty much did the opposite for whatever reason.

Also, yeah, the laws about studentxteacher (abuse of power) overrides age -- it doesn't matter if the highschool student is 18, I'm pretty sure, as long as the other person is in a position of authority over them like that it's still illegal.

Geneijin said:
That's generous of you. If I were to rank the writing quality of IS, it'd be something like this: if the best writing quality of the genre is average at best (5/10), then within it's own scale, IS writing would be very bad (2/10) since I'm generous too.
I'm mostly just being cautious because harem show writing is so often so bad that I don't want to overstate how bad IS's is in the context of its genre. Also I can think of plenty of ways that it could have been worse, conceptually and scenario-wise...

But in terms of pure writing quality and coherence, those other concerns aside, yeah that 2/10 is well deserved and might indeed be generous. :)

Haly

I can't think of any abusive CLAMP relationships off the top of my head. Surely X has something along those lines, it has everything after all.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So basically if those dates there are right, if the stories are otherwise the same, in the manga they marry when she's 16 or 17 (he dies when she's 18, they had been married for a year, met sometime before that), but in the anime she's 18 or 19 when they marry, so whether it's really creepy or just kind of messed up depends on which version you are looking at? Great.
In terms of manga vs anime in time
I actually liked how the whole story took place over 5 years in the anime instead of the 7 of the manga, the idea of all that shit happening in 7 years feels very unrealistic to me, it at least feels somewhat closer to reality in the anime.

Geneijin

Halycon said:

To be fair, he did say AnoHana would be competing with Hanasaku Iroha as his best show of the season.

A Black Falcon said:
In my opinion it's definitely got the best chance of being show of the season, yes.
Speaking of which, have you watched AnoHana yet? I think it'd be something you like.

I'm mostly just being cautious because harem show writing is so often so bad that I don't want to overstate how bad IS's is in the context of its genre. Also I can think of plenty of ways that it could have been worse, conceptually and scenario-wise.

But in terms of pure writing quality and coherence, those other concerns aside, yeah that 2/10 is well deserved and might indeed be generous. :)
Point taken. Every season has the potential to upset IS easily. It really says a lot since it's true.

Haly

Lafiel said:
In terms of manga vs anime in time
I actually liked how the whole story took place over 5 years in the anime instead of the 7 of the manga, the idea of all that shit happening in 7 years feels very unrealistic to me, it at least feels somewhat closer to reality in the anime.
Does 2 years make that much of a difference?
To be fair, he did say AnoHana would be competing with Hanasaku Iroha as his best show of the season.
Well I guess he'll show his true colors in time.

Steroyd

Cardcaptor Sakura - 25

Why is there always a damn fine line between being kind and being stupid in anime? Toya gets led off a cliff by fake Sakura, ends up hanging off the cliff while fake Sakura just watches the ledge crumble, proceeds to fall off this cliff (lets ignore him surviving a fall which real Sakura needed the fly card to get to the bottom), and then we find out that he already knew that fake Sakura was fake Sakura the moment he laid eyes on her, oh and he gets away with just an "injured" leg.

It looks like the cards are going to step up their game, and a new character looks to be arriving.

Oh and while the subject of Cardcaptor relationships is still hot, I know Toya generally dogs on Sakura's cooking (don't know whether he's putting up a front or not), but I'm hoping him feeding Yukito (litteraly him putting the fork in Yukito's mouth) isn't foreshadowing anything and I'm just overreacting.

Jex

Halycon said:
Hanasaku Iroha: Coming of age story (a.k.a Spirited Away without that Miyazaki magic)
Do you mean to imply that only Miyazaki can tell a coming of age story? (Obviously you don't) They may be similar in structure but making the protagonist rather older, having no fantasy elements and telling a much longer story means that by the end I feel the stories will be quite dissimilar.

Geneijin said:
Speaking of which, have you watched AnoHana yet? I think it'd be something you like.
Once I manage to piece together a fully functioning computer again... (in a few days hopefully I'll have one that doesn't have hardware problems keeping it from running, doesn't have a virus on it that means I'd rather not hook that one up to the internet, and didn't lose all sound and directdraw and more thanks to a crash that deleted needed system files... but right now I have three, each with one of those problems. :lol)

Point taken. Every season has the potential to upset IS easily. It really says a lot if that's true.
I think it is true.

But even so, I did agree that it was below average for the genre though, which might not be strong enough, I admit; it is probably worse than that, on the merits of its awesome terribleness. But it's a genre that's so often so bad, don't pretend that IS is a complete outlier. Maybe its success somewhat is, but its "quality", less so, sadly enough. (though I must say, it'd probably have been much less entertaining if it was actually competently written... :lol)

Halcyon said:
I can't think of any abusive CLAMP relationships off the top of my head. Surely X has something along those lines, it has everything after all.
I would call teacher x student abusive, not physically in this case sure, but otherwise.

Haly

kamui+fuuma4.jpg

ikEKQu.jpg

Legal.Drug.258284.jpg

6.jpg

ikIwBS.jpg

Make of that as you will.

Do you mean to imply that only Miyazaki can tell a coming of age story? (Obviously you don't) They may be similar in structure but making the protagonist rather older, having no fantasy elements and telling a much longer story means that by the end I feel the stories will be quite dissimilar.
It might, but so far it's not wowing me. I'm only judging based on what's out. I do enjoy it, however, even if it doesn't resonate with me as much as AnoHana does.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Halycon said:

Let's begin Halycon x firehawk!

But, I'm not necessarily convinced that AnoHanayadayada is mono no aware yet. It depends on how much it's focused on the "tragedy" and how much it's focused on dealing with the present.

Haly

firehawk12 said:
Let's begin Halycon x firehawk!

But, I'm not necessarily convinced that AnoHanayadayada is mono no aware yet. It depends on how much it's focused on the "tragedy" and how much it's focused on dealing with the present.
I'm only judging based on what I've seen so far. I thought Hanairo was going to go the Mono no Aware route until they shipped Ohana out of town and into the mountains. Ano Hana, on the ther hand, pretty much ramped the Mono no Aware to 10 in the first episode.

Jex

Halycon said:
I'm only judging based on what I've seen so far. I thought Hanairo was going to go the Mono no Aware route until they shipped Ohana out of town and into the mountains. Ano Hana, on the ther hand, pretty much ramped the Mono no Aware to 10 in the first episode.
The OP is a visual definition of mono aware.

lostxii

Ano Hana 01:
Great Show. I can see why people find Menma annoying, but like others have said it will probably be tuned down in later episodes. That aside, while Hanasaku Iroha is great, this is easily my favorite show of the season.

Haly

Jexhius said:
The OP is a visual definition of mono aware.
Clouds... Check.

Trains... Check.

Cherry Blossoms...

Cherry Blossoms?

WHERE ARE MY CHERRY BLOSSOMS?

So I finished Nana the other day. Some people in here said it was supposed to not be a romantic comedy, yet I found every episode funny. >:|
Loved it though. Great score, story, characters, the works. Now was there supposed to be a second season, but it got cancelled or something?

But now, I'm watching Shuffle! ^_^

BluWacky

Regulus Tera said:
Pretty sure X/1999 featured HOT INCESTUAL SIBLING LOVE.

They just love their forbidden love.

Think you're getting mixed up with Angel Sanctuary - same vibe, different story and author. Fuuma doesn't love Kotori like that
even when he awakens as Kamui's twin star and crucifies her
and they're the only siblings in X. Setsuna and Sara in Angel Sanctuary, on the other hand...

I loves me some apocalyptic shoujo fantasy, I do.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So I finished Nana the other day. Some people in here said it was supposed to not be a romantic comedy, yet I found every episode funny. >:|
Loved it though. Great score, story, characters, the works. Now was there supposed to be a second season, but it got cancelled or something?
They have plans to make a second season, but they are waiting until the manga is done, which seems unlikely at this point, since the author was sick last or so i heard.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Hanasaku Iroha 1

Superbly done. This show has the kind of whimsical quality you'd expect of a movie, and I can't complain about a thing. Even just judging from the start it seems to have all the makings of a classic. It's one of those anime you can't even say much about, because the only way you can put it into words is "Well, that was excellent."

But..

AnoHana 1

I like this more, and I haven't the faintest clue why. I thought the ending to the episode was great, the childhood backstory and subsequent flashbacks are surprisingly not annoying (or perhaps Menma is just more annoying). The main character seems kind of flat in the first episode, but from the few small glimpses that were drawn out of him (interactions with old friends) and the interesting history he has, I just really want to see more. Am I being suckered, GAF? IS THE MONO NO AWARE SUCKERING ME!?

Haly

According to I9, the Steins Gate anime is leaving out a lot of the interesting stuff from the VN.

I've only watched one episode and it left me feeling confused and angry.

YOU CAN'T FIGHT THE MONO NO AWARE.

Jex

A lot of people choosing the wrong side are starting to crop up. This can only means that the streets of GAF will soon run red with blood.

There will be a purge.

Haly

Jexhius said:
A lot of people choosing the wrong side are starting to crop up. This can only means that the streets of GAF will soon run red with blood.
Gangs-New-York-03.jpg

gangs4.jpg

hamchan

Halycon said:
According to I9, the Steins Gate anime is leaving out a lot of the interesting stuff from the VN.

I've only watched one episode and it left me feeling confused and angry.

YOU CAN'T FIGHT THE MONO NO AWARE.

I'll wait for the VN to be translated then.

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
He suffered, I suffered, we all suffered from Kanon 2002.
Poor guy. That said, I didn't suffer through Kanon 2002. I'll down this Dr. Pepper in front of me in your memory and G's, I didn't know him but I'm sure he suffered?
A Black Falcon said:
Yeah, but how many people would find it even MORE confusing if there weren't at least those summaries saying what had just happened?
What do you mean MORE confusing? Last Exile wasn't "confusing." The ending was the only confusing part and all the recaps in the world prior to the ending wouldn't change that, there are things they never explained that may irk people but of what the viewer was shown there's nothing confusing about Last Exile, just things left out and never expanded upon and a shit ending. If someone needed help keeping track of what was happening then, then, then, I don't know, they shouldn't be watching episodic content.
A Black Falcon said:
In my opinion it's definitely got the best chance of being show of the season, yes.
It's amazing getting a diverse range of opinions and I find it endearing but it is puzzling at times.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AnoHana's team is on the rise, I like to think it was with my bold declaration that turned the tide but who am I to take away from the great taste and the courage displayed by our new members who so boldly declared their loyalty in spite of a larger adversary? Big Damn Heroes, all of 'em.

Geneijin

First PV of Aquarion EVOL (more Akino would be awesome)

YouTube comment said:
1200 years after the end of the original. The Fudo Lives.

THE FUDO LIVES!

A Black Falcon said:
Once I manage to piece together a fully functioning computer again... (in a few days hopefully I'll have one that doesn't have hardware problems keeping it from running, doesn't have a virus on it that means I'd rather not hook that one up to the internet, and didn't lose all sound and directdraw and more thanks to a crash that deleted needed system files... but right now I have three, each with one of those problems. :lol)
Ouch. I wish you good luck on that.

But even so, I did agree that it was below average for the genre though, which might not be strong enough, I admit; it is probably worse than that, on the merits of its awesome terribleness. But it's a genre that's so often so bad, don't pretend that IS is a complete outlier. Maybe its success somewhat is, but its "quality", less so, sadly enough. (though I must say, it'd probably have been much less entertaining if it was actually competently written... :lol)
Definitely. :lol

Like have you checked out Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi this season? Very standard harem stuff.

firehawk12 said:
I thought Naruko would already convince you of it.

mAcOdIn said:
AnoHana's team is on the rise, I like to think it was with my bold declaration that turned the tide but who am I to take away from the great taste and the courage displayed by our new members who so boldly declared their loyalty in spite of a larger adversary? Big Damn Heroes, all of 'em.
I or someone might actually need to make an OT.

hamchan

Alright I just watched the first ep of Ano Hana. I really enjoyed it, I'm quite a sucker for these type of stories.

Time to watch Hanasaku Iroha now.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I or someone might actually need to make an OT.
If anyone who is part of the Iroha faction makes it they'll officially be kicked and moved to the AnoHana faction!

Jex

Lafiel said:
If anyone who is part of the Iroha faction makes it they'll officially be kicked and moved to the AnoHana faction!
They also to have to be branded. It's the law.

hamchan

Well well Hanasaku Iroha was pretty damn good too. It sure is pretty.

Is the production budget for this show quite high? It's pretty like an anime movie.

Jex

mAcOdIn said:
Lol, the Iroha faction's already so scared they have to resort to fear to keep their members in line, how sad.
You just assume it's all talk. That's a dangerous assumption to make!

Haly

Put your money where your mouth is then, first Team Iroha defector gets banned.

Are you up for it ducky?

mAcOdIn

Jexhius said:
You just assume it's all talk. That's a dangerous assumption to make!
Eh, when you're prepared for everything everything seems like all talk, unfortunately since I'm already on the opposing team and thus can't defect I can't really say "bring it."

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I hereby announce the formation of the Kaiji Squad!

If you think you're man enough, follow me to victory!

havent watched either iroha or anohana yet!

JKTrix

Things got reeeally busy for me early this week, so I haven't watched *anything*. Time to catch up! Hope that noitamina stuff wasn't bad.

hamchan

How do I sign up to the Hanasaku Iroha team?

I like Ano Hana and I like the premise of it more but after two episodes of Hanasaku Iroha the latter just seems better produced and the story seems more cohesive so far.

To be fair to Ano Hana though I've only seen one episode of it vs Iroha's two.

Can't I be on both teams?

mAcOdIn

Osaka said:
If you think you're man enough, follow me to victory!
Such an odd phrase. It implies that victory is all but assured however invoking the "man enough" card really spells out that victory is anything but assured.
Geneijin said:
So we're really going this far? Then I'll make the OT.
Yes, yes, yes!

mAcOdIn said:
Such an odd phrase. It implies that victory is all but assured however invoking the "man enough" card really spells out that victory is anything but assured.
he should have gone with "bad enough dude"

Haly

hamchan said:
How do I sign up to the Hanasaku Iroha team?

I like Ano Hana and I like the premise of it more but after two episodes of Hanasaku Iroha the latter just seems better produced and the story seems more cohesive so far.

To be fair to Ano Hana though I've only seen one episode of it vs Iroha's two.

Can't I be on both teams?
There's Team Wish Washy where you can enjoy the company of firehawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom