• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneijin

Dresden said:
/soothe

Neither one is Dawg Dayz, so don't feel too bad.
Thanks for the concern, but I was poking fun at the lopsided situation. It is appreciated dawg.

flawfuls said:
I don't think she will that annoying forever. I mean she has got to stop talking to people who can't hear her and pretending she isn't dead eventually right?
Depends how they want to narrate the story as of now. The easiest way would be to have Menma wandering as she is now if AnoHana wants to continue telling the story through Menma and Yabitomi's perspective like they have been in Episode 1. It really depends if AnoHana wants Menma to only be seen by Yabitomi.

Jexhius said:
She's a hyperactive child intruding on everyone serious business drama. I found her a tad distracting but I'm not surprised others feel she's pretty damn annoying.
And this is where I largely depart from everyone's opinion of her. I didn't find Menma intruding or annoying in Episode 1 although I immediately noticed how she could be when she made Yabitomi pass out.

Dresden said:
Geneijin's last words:

Ō ksein', angellein Anohanaioides hoti tēide
keimetha tois keinōn rhēmasi peithomenoi.
Translation please.

Lafiel said:
I'd say one good thing about her right now is her personality actually fits very well with the context of the narrative, they just need to tone down her antics a bit, and she'll be fine IMO.

I can easily see her getting better past the first episode anyway.
I'm actually fine with the amount there is in Episode 1 which is why I'll keep saying what I said before if I need to. Less wouldn't be bad.

Aigis said:
Why are her boobs blushing?
What show is this from?
Seikon no Qwaser II.

Dresden said:
I think it's Qwaser, not sure.
It definitely is.
Thank Sankaku with always providing the needed NSFW material.

Jex

Geneijin said:
It really depends if AnoHana wants Menma to only be seen by Yabitomi.
Well considering that we've seen her physically interact with objects (from the audiences perspective) she could be recognised by many people, if she put her mind to it.
firehawk12 said:
That doesn't really narrow it down...

Anime seems to be cute girls doing cute things or manly men being manly.
I know, it's pretty awesome.

Geneijin

Jexhius said:
Well considering that we've seen her physically interact with objects (from the audiences perspective) she could be recognised by many people, if she put her mind to it.
She's either the Summer beast or his stress and his trauma. I wonder what her origin is.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
First episode of AnoHana was great, So far it's my show for the season.

Odd question, what is Bunny Drop and is it any good?

duckroll

Geneijin said:
She's either the Summer beast or his stress and his trauma. I wonder what her origin is.

She's real, and everyone else are the ghosts.

I have not seen the show, nor do I care to.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
It's an action comedy show about a group of demon hunters. It follows a demon-of-the-week format. It's silly and over-the-top but not too gross or anything. Kind of an old-school feel to it. You actually probably wouldn't like it at all, but hey, you never know!
Sounds like something I would have loved 10 years ago. :lol

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
Sounds like something I would have loved 10 years ago. :lol
You've lost your innocence, firehawk. All that's left in you is a longing for what once was.
Geneijin said:
Translation please.
It's the epitaph at Thermopylae, that place where oiled half-naked men died. With the men of Lacedaemon replaced by AnoHana fans. Silly stuff. :p

Joule

shintoki said:
Odd question, what is Bunny Drop and is it any good?

Bunny Drop is about a 30 year old bachelor who adopts the illegitimate daughter of his father and a younger woman when the rest of his family want little to do with this sudden development. The story goes on to see how he copes with his job and this new set of circumstances.

It's really good and will be a show in Summer.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Jexhius said:
Sounds like another brave soul has chosen their side!
Is there something going on that I should know about?

Also second question, Wandering Son. Is it coming to America? I really want to purchase it.

icarus-daedelus said:
I think you need a visual demonstration of this concept:

kanon2002.png

That's right guys, I'm bringing it back! The original Key show! Suffer like G did!

I didn't know Jay Leno was in an anime.

tafer

icarus-daedelus said:
It's an action comedy show about a group of demon hunters. It follows a demon-of-the-week format. It's silly and over-the-top but not too gross or anything. Kind of an old-school feel to it. You actually probably wouldn't like it at all, but hey, you never know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1LzruO-eUU

He suffered, I suffered, we all suffered from Kanon 2002.

I liked it!

icarus-daedelus said:
I think you need a visual demonstration of this concept:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/kanon2002.png[IMG]

[/QUOTE]

... and I wonder why.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
You've lost your innocence, firehawk. All that's left in you is a longing for what once was.
Jexhius said:
What happened to you firehawek12, you used to be cool.
I miss my misspent youth. :)

icarus-daedelus said:
But, at the same time, he's looking to the future with hope.

Hey, look, Right Stuf/Nozomi is putting out Antique Bakery. It's like they're firehawk's own private DVD label. :p
Mono no aware.

And yep, they're like the "good" noitanimA licensor.

shintoki said:
Is there something going on that I should know about?

Also second question, Wandering Son. Is it coming to America? I really want to purchase it.
RightStuf is the one place it will probably end up. :lol

Joule

shintoki said:

I think the first volume of the manga is being published in June or July by Fantacomics.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Joule said:
I think the first volume of the manga is being published in June or July by Fantacomics.
I mean the Anime, I already have volume 1 and 2 on Pre-order. It's going be the forth series I collect next to Berserk, Ouran, and Gravitation.

And if it ends up at Rightstuf. Does that mean good quality BluRay?

shintoki said:
I mean the Anime, I already have volume 1 and 2 on Pre-order. It's going be the forth series I collect next to Berserk, Ouran, and Gravitation.

And if it ends up at Rightstuf. Does that mean good quality BluRay?
I don't think Rightstuf does Blu-rays.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
shintoki said:

The first volume isn't even out in Japan yet man.

trejo

firehawk12 said:
I've been wondering - are those photoshopped or something?
It's funny that people have to seriously wonder about that when it comes to Key faces. Or is it sad? I can't really tell.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
trejo said:
It's funny that people have to seriously wonder about that when it comes to Key faces. Or is it sad? I can't really tell.
Yeah, I wanted to think they were shopped, but I wasn't sure. :p

icarus-daedelus said:
I'll have you know that I thought of you when the latest TRSI catalog came in the mail and Sora no Woto was on the front. >_> That's how I found out they were releasing Antique Bakery, and then I remembered that they put out Aria and Marimite too.
Aww, I'm forever associated with moeno no aware.

Geneijin

Trailer for Valkyria Chronicles 3 OVA

Edit: On a random note, I'm surprised Japan hasn't made an anime of Rie Kugimiya yet. They typecast her so strongly anyway. What difference would there be if she was playing a loli tsundere in Shakugan no Shana to some other loli tsundere (?) in Hidan no Aria?

Edit2: Since it wasn't listed in the OP as I was trying to find out about it, there's an old article saying where Blue Exorcist will be streamed.

Blue Exorcist will make its debut, subtitled, on VizAnime.com on April 20th, 2011. To watch this or any other available anime head over to VizAnime.com. You can also read my review of Blue Exorcist Vol. 1 at THIS LINK.

The series will debut with episode one at 10:00am PST and will also be available on Hulu, the Anime News Network and Crunchyroll as well. - Source

Since I'm at posting old news, D'aww.

tiff

Banned
trejo said:
His real face doesn't look much less ridiculous.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Kaiji 2

So this was what that dice game in Suikoden was about.

"I hate it!" "He hates it!" Such delicious melodrama.

Can't wait for the real game to start.

Kaiji's naivety is so annoying, but it's still awesome to see him when he gets determined.

Jex

Aoi Hana 6

All these school plays that you see kids put on in anime never seem to be as awkwardly produced and woodenly acted as they should be.

zeroshiki

Alright last update for the day. My prediction is there will be a massive landslide for us when the next episode comes out.

Galactic Hanairo Empire (Hanasaku Iroha):
Branduil
duckroll
trejo
zeroshiki
Lafiel
Jexhius
icarus-daedalus
flawfuls
M_Night
hossanainexcelsis
Dresden
Dance in my Blood
Infernodash
KuwabaraTheMan
Steroyd
Regulus Terra
Aigis

Anohana Planets Alliance (Ano Hi Mita Hana No Namae Wo Bokutachi Wa Mada Shiranai):
Geneijin
CWarrior
mAcOdin
shintoki
Rektash
Halycon
lostxii
Sage00

Team Wishy-washy (won't take a stand):
jman2050
firehawk12
cosmicblizzard
hamchan

Cardcaptor Sakura 10-11 - GAH! Yeah, I knew it was coming (I'd seen these two episodes before, just not 5-9 before them), but finally I got to the bad part, the most disturbing thing about this series that I know of -- the relationship between Sakura's parents.

I mean, honestly, who thought that this was an idea that they should go with? It's so disturbing and messed up, what in the world were they thinking...

So, when he was a beginner highschool teacher (started as a highschool teacher, then moved up to college professor? Huh, I don't think it usually works that way... maybe once in a while I guess.), her father met her mother, Nadeshiko, who was a student at the school he taught at. She was at most 16 at the time, perhaps younger. She was a ditzy airhead bad at sports (yeah, Sakura's a much better character than her mother...), and fell out of a tree onto him. He responded by hitting on her, asking if she was an angel. They started dating sometime after that. Despicable behavior there from him.

Their relationship moved quickly, and they got married when she was 16. The next year, she had her first child. I mean, she has to have. They said that she died at age 27. Sakura (currently 9 or 10) was three when she died. That means Sakura was born when her mother was 24. Her older brother is a high school junior, seven years ahead of her in school. So, he's most likely seven years older than her, and thus was born when his mother was 17. The series mentions none of this of course, though.

Somehow, the fact that marrying and then impregnating a student in your school is illegal in, as far as I know, the entire first world doesn't even come up. Sure, she may have been of legal age to marry, but not when he's her teacher... but the show makes it VERY clear that they married while she was still a highschool student and he taught in that school. They brought lunches they'd eat together, etc -- it wasn't hidden. He should have gone to jail for that... okay, so this is Japan so maybe they wouldn't (maybe they would, I don't know, could go either way; such relationships are illegal in Japan, thoug, whether or not they'd prosecute it enough.), but at least he'd have been almost certainly fired, and probably have trouble getting another higher position like his current professorship, with that kind of history (and maybe criminal record).

But in the story, so Tomoyo's mother, who was Nadeshiko's cousin, liked her cousin (very much like how Tomoyo likes Sakura, some nice parallels there), and was very angry at him for taking Nadeshiko away from her like that. There was probably then a fallingout between the couple and her family. Then she died some years later, how they have not said. On that note Tomoyo's mother isn't a great character. She acts so, so childish most of the time, it's absurd... but, when asked what Sakura's father's biggest character flaw is, what does she say?

That he's perfect, that's what. Yeah.

All the show has to say about the age and teacher/student issues is "but they loved eachother, so it's okay!" The message is that Tomoyo's mother should forgive him for what he did and accept that her sister loved him and that what they did was fine, because it was love (Oh yeah, and she probably likes him too, as the "he's too perfect, that's his only problem" line implies.). NO. That is absolutely false, couldn't be much less true considering the actual situation... Who cares if you fell in love at first sight? She's 16 or less and your student. As I said, despicable.

Overall, that's so disturbing that it's kind of hard to believe someone would actually put a plotline like that in a modern anime aimed at children... I mean, a plotline like that in a late-night, otaku-centric series would be one thing (though heck, even Onegai Teacher, as horrible as it was, has the two of them having to keep their relationship a secret...), but in a series like this? Seriously?

And I mean, it'd have been so easy to avoid, too! Just have her be a couple of years older and not still his student and presto, still somewhat problematic, but not nearly to the degree that it is.

I mean, other than the relationships it's a very good show, but why did they have to make them so messed up...

Geneijin said:
Ah, gotcha. But I think the bad writing outweighs the production values enough to say it is pretty generic although we disagree obviously.
Without that original, shiny coat though, would we even have watched it?

It's a cause for grievance with how often they resorted to it though. The pacing was brisk but there was no sense of pace at all because there was a lack of any true development. From character relationships to plot, they glossed over it almost completely. Maybe everything but I don't remember enough to say it's entirely true.
I'd say that there was development (in this genre's way) during many of the episodes, it's just that then they'd randomly completely change everything in the beginning of the next episode and completely negate some of what happened with no explanation.

Yeah, this level of bad writing will happen traditionally in harem animes. It's expected of the genre. But has there been a harem anime which has gone through so many cliches and was literally fueled by them yet achieved nothing?
This level of bad writing does happen sometimes in this genre, certainly, but it's not always as bad, or as nonsensical, as it is in IS... as I've said all along the show is below average for its genre in terms of writing quality, and yeah that is saying something.

doomed1 said:
Then they're pussies. And they deserve my unending scorn for turning what was a GREAT high school band comedy into a college band comedy that acts like a high school band comedy. It's a shame too, since the music is damned good...
I don't really like K-On, so I can't say anything about it being great (though of course I don't like rock or bands either), but really, you think the setting change hurts the formula that much? I mean, it probably does, to some degree, but the otaku don't care so it likely won't happen.

The Japanese otaku expect the girls to be virgins with no love lives, after all. It's important now (probably as much or more because of Western influences over the past 150 years or so than anything else, but still, it's there now.). As if a mere change of setting should disturb the perfection of the moe, regardless of whether it makes less and less sense as it goes along to stick to it...

He should do it, if only to prove himself a man. Bring it in carefully, out of the blue, a casual mention. "Hey, Mio, lets go out for ice cream or something!" "Sorry Ritsu, Yuiichi wants to go out to a movie." *insert relationship character gag here* or something like that, and watch the otaku boil over, but on a delay. Just long enough to make a strip about how dumb the otaku were for assuming they'd never see anything male their age evar.
I agree here, he should. I know it's very unlikely, because the people that would complain are the most diehard fans and are very vocal, but despite the above plenty of people in Japan would accept it, particularly considering the college setting now... the problem is, is it worth offending the otaku to do? It would be good if his answer would be yes, but sadly given the nature of the series, with how devoted and large its okatu following is, it would surprise me if he actually did it. It would be pretty amusing to see the reaction if it actually does happen, though... :)

mAcOdIn said:
It IS that bad. I wouldn't mind if after every episode they showed something new or if there was nothing after every episode and I wouldn't mind if there was always a recap with nothing new before an episode or no recap at all but it's the inconsistency of it all that kills me. And again look at Laste Exile, there was 20 plus episodes to that series, if there were no recaps you'd have the equivalent of an entire 'nother episode to play with time wise, they could have made the ending make sense or something, instead they waste their time for recaps for people who find the series complicated or some shit.
Yeah, but how many people would find it even MORE confusing if there weren't at least those summaries saying what had just happened?

Oh heaven's no. First, Hanasaku Iroha shits all over Nichijou, second what is Nichijou if not also vapidly amusing, assuming one finds it amusing? We're not going to say it's intelligent humor are we? But best shot at being essentially the show of the season? Not a snowball's chance in hell that's true, it's already been bested and there's still other stuff coming that's more promising.
In my opinion it's definitely got the best chance of being show of the season, yes.

trejo

Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai 2

A couple of minutes in and jesus christ on a cracker what the fuck is going on here!

I think this is now the most none-too-subtle sexual innuendo show of the season.

Steroyd

Ano Hana - 01

Oi oi, I clocked onto what Menma was within the first couple of minutes, making the rest of the episode DoA.

And who started this Ano Hana vs Hana Iro, it's not even a competition to which is superior right now.

trejo

Steroyd said:
Ano Hana - 01

Oi oi, I clocked onto what Menma was within the first couple of minutes, making the rest of the episode DoA.

And who started this Ano Hana vs Hana Iro, it's not even a competition to which is superior right now.
Well I figured that out by watching the OP someone posted here a few days prior. It's not like it was some big secret twist or anything.

Rektash

zeroshiki said:
Alright last update for the day. My prediction is there will be a massive landslide for us when the next episode comes out.

Team Wishy-washy (won't take a stand):
jman2050
firehawk12
cosmicblizzard

Hey, I already stated a few pages back that I am in team wishy-washy! If you don't want me in a neutral team it'd probably be AnoHana :O.

Steroyd

trejo said:
Well I figured that out by watching the OP someone posted here a few days prior. It's not like it was some big secret twist or anything.

Wasn't expecting it to be, but this is the type of show where I'd prefer things to unravel at a steady pace in the 1st episode to setup the rest of the season. By not being so subtle that if I've already got an idea what her wish is, what she is and what her relationship with the main protagonist is within the first 4 minutes, then the rest of the episode conveying what her wish is, what she is and what her relationship with the main protagonist is, is all just fluff.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pitching in my things with Team Mono no Aware.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
A Black Falcon said:
Cardcaptor Sakura 10-11 - GAH! Yeah, I knew it was coming (I'd seen these two episodes before, just not 5-9 before them), but finally I got to the bad part, the most disturbing thing about this series that I know of -- the relationship between Sakura's parents.

I mean, honestly, who thought that this was an idea that they should go with? It's so disturbing and messed up, what in the world were they thinking...

This is CLAMP lolololol

Regulus Tera said:
This is CLAMP lolololol
Yeah, I haven't seen most of their stuff, but I did watch most of Chobits (I did not like it much at all), and that was centered around a somewhat messed up relationship too... but I think this is worse than that one, just as far as the relationship goes. I mean, teacherxstudent vs. humanxrobot? Yeah. As far as overall shows go CCS is vastly superior.

To get a reaction like that, does CLAMP do messed up stuff like that regularly? What are other examples?

Steroyd said:
Surely that can't be a legitimate answer right? right? ..... RIGHT!?
What do you think of my post about their relationship, then?

Haly

They have a thing for gouging out eyes.

Although there's no eye-gouging in CCS.

Hanasaku Iroha: Coming of age story (a.k.a Spirited Away without that Miyazaki magic)
Ano Hana: Schizophrenic tries to get over his depression.

Steroyd

A Black Falcon said:
What do you think of my post about their relationship, then?

I thought the whole storyline was messed up so I never bothered to do the math of when she had kids (More like i didn't want to), I just think it's a completely unnecessary point in the storyline which would have worked the exact same if she was 18 because ya know, you can be 18 and be in high school, although there's still that Student x Teacher, abuse of position thing going on.

Haly

There is no abuse in CLAMP's relationships. Only TRUE LOVE.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Hey maison ikkoku
had a student x teacher pairing
to!

Of course it's different from CCS since the girl was

Haly

Are we sure she was
?

ARGH I SPOILED MAISON IKKOKU.

THERE IS NO MEANING IN LIFE ANYMORE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom