• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

And why is the fanservice getting so much flak, anyway? Is it really so hard to shrug it off? I'll readily admit it was sorta unnecesary but some posts here are treating it as almost game-breaking and I'm just not seeing that.

Besides, they have to rope in the otaku somehow. Good writing and characterization is just not gonna do it for them, after all!

7Th

trejo said:
And why is the fanservice getting so much flak, anyway? Is it really so hard to shrug it off? I'll readily admit it was sorta unnecesary but some posts here are treating it as almost game-breaking and I'm just not seeing that.

It's not like the other decent shows this season don't have their share of fanservice, anyway.

trejo said:

Besides, they have to rope in the otaku somehow. Good writing and characterization is just not gonna do it for them, after all!

i wondered the same thing in my post.

just not seeing the outrage *shrug*

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
trejo said:
But this episode was specifically making fun of them! (or maybe it was pandering to them)..

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Halycon said:
I don't think Ohana can express anger, so she just channels it into very forceful optimism.

This way I can pretend that she is a mentally troubled child who has difficulty expressing negative emotions instead of a one dimensional super optimistic girl.
This isn't the Madoka Magica of happy girl shows!

Lafiel said:
But this episode was specifically making fun of them! (or maybe it was pandering to them)..
Perverts are people too! :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have no idea how the fuck they're going to bring Ko into the story again.
This isn't the Madoka Magica of happy girl shows!
Let's not do this "x is the y of z" thing again. It's infuriating.

Infinite Justice said:
They grew over time (same with Robin)...
the longer the arc the more they grow before resizing for the next arc
Halycon said:
His family holiday just happens to be to the Inn that Ohona now works

zeroshiki

Halycon said:

Let's not do this "x is the y of z" thing again. It's infuriating.

He's gonna go the hilariously unrealistic route of moving to the boondocks to be with Ohana.

Joe Molotov said:
I'm watching this Toriko x One Piece thing, and it's been a while since I've watched OP but were Nami's boobs always this big? I didn't remember them being like watermelons.

Nami's boobs pretty much continue to grow in size over the course of the series. Oda just can't help himself on that front.

It's weird going back and watching early episodes where Nami was pretty modestly endowed.

Halcyon said:
Halycon I don't think Ohana can express anger, so she just channels it into very forceful optimism.

This way I can pretend that she is a mentally troubled child who has difficulty expressing negative emotions instead of a one dimensional super optimistic girl.
After watching the first episode, I was kind of worried that the direction they'd go in would be that the main character is going to learn the value of hard work and obedience and and will become the "good" (ie obedient) child that her mother never was, and will end up pretty much thanking her grandmother for treating her that way because it taught her things, etc...

I hope it doesn't go that way, but it could happen.

zeroshiki

Branduil said:
Perhaps he could buy a train ticket.

Yeah, no. I've heard unrealistic theories like haunting ghost, vacation coincidence, long lost fiancee but this takes the cake. You expect an anime guy to travel by train to meet up with the girl he likes unsolicited? Hah!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Yeah, no. I've heard unrealistic theories like haunting ghost, vacation coincidence, long lost fiancee but this takes the cake. You expect an anime guy to travel by train to meet up with the girl he likes unsolicited? Hah!
Hey, in Hatsukoi Limited the bros took a random trip to the country just to declare their love for random the girls.

Haly

A Black Falcon said:
After watching the first episode, my guess was that the main character is going to learn the value of hard work and obedience and and will become the "good" (ie obedient) child that her mother never was, and will end up pretty much thanking her grandmother for treating her that way because it taught her things, etc...

Maybe not, but it could happen.
She is already obedient, hard working, responsible, independant and outgoing. She's naive, but that's all that she lacks compared to her mother. Hell she's even well versed passive aggressive maneuvers like her cooking thing.
Bro could probably just take a trip on his days off from school or whatever. 5cm/s style.
TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS CLOUDS PURPLE MONOLOGUE.

Joule

firehawk12 said:
Hey, in Hatsukoi Limited the bros took a random trip to the country just to declare their love for random the girls.
It was a trip of self discovery and rebirth. Also being totally bros.
E8LaC.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Joule said:
It was a trip of self discovery and rebirth. Also being totally bros.
E8LaC.png
I must admit, even though the series was filled with fanservice, this show was the most bros being bros show I've seen. People don't want to see what bros would be like in high school, I guess. :(

7Th

K-ON! with guys. Bro boys doing bro things. Instead of practicing for the band, all they do all day is eat junk food and play videogames!

trejo

zeroshiki said:
You never know. Dude is already friendzoned and those can put on some pretty desperate acts.

Haly

No way Ko will ever get a girlfriend. He's all hung up about Ohana at the moment.

If anime teaches us anything, it's that guys can take years to get over a simple crush.

Haly

Yes, I will defect from Team Mono no Aware if that happens.

JKTrix

In HanaIro I was more disappointed in the visual sexual fantasy stuff, as this was otherwise looking like a show I could share with people who might not normally or regularly watch anime. A wet t-shirt as a result of being in the water may have only gotten an eye roll from some people. The bondage and reading the text aloud would have gotten across the perverted nature of what was going on. Even a girl just sitting in a bath is acceptable to some of these folks. But actually showing the little girls naked and gasping (virtual or not) crosses the line of what I would consider acceptable for the category I was forming for it.

For anime fans, it's whatever. But I like to find shows now and then that non-anime fanatics would be able to enjoy without the stereotypical stuff that turns 'outsiders' off. It doesn't really lower my opinion of the show, it just makes me hesitant to share it with those 'outsiders'.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
7Th said:
K-ON! with guys. Bro boys doing bro things. Instead of practicing for the band, all they do all day is eat junk food and play videogames!
I'm actually kind of looking forward to You and Me, even though it's bros being cute bros apparently.

zeroshiki said:
So Genshiken?
Genshiken: TNG is K-On!! with nerd girls.

zeroshiki

JKTrix said:
In HanaIro I was more disappointed in the visual sexual fantasy stuff, as this was otherwise looking like a show I could share with people who might not normally or regularly watch anime. A wet t-shirt as a result of being in the water may have only gotten an eye roll from some people. The bondage and reading the text aloud would have gotten across the perverted nature of what was going on. Even a girl just sitting in a bath is acceptable to some of these folks. But actually showing the little girls naked and gasping (virtual or not) crosses the line of what I would consider acceptable for the category I was forming for it.

For anime fans, it's whatever. But I like to find shows now and then that non-anime fanatics would be able to enjoy without the stereotypical stuff that turns 'outsiders' off. It doesn't really lower my opinion of the show, it just makes me hesitant to share it with those 'outsiders'.

I watched the episode with my sister and she didn't seem to mind. If framed in the overall narrative of the episode, I don't think its as offensive as what we anime fans, inured to all this shit, probably think it is.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
I watched the episode with my sister and she didn't seem to mind. If framed in the overall narrative of the episode, I don't think its as offensive as what we anime fans, inured to all this shit, probably think it is.
My parents already think people who watch cartoons over the age of 5 are losers - I can't imagine what they would have thought about bondage Ohana. :lol

firehawk12 said:
I'm actually kind of looking forward to You and Me, even though it's bros being cute bros apparently.

Genshiken: TNG is K-On!! with nerd girls.
Can't be K-On with nerd girls because males exist in the genshiken universe (even one of the nerd girls is a dude)

7Th

My younger sister didn't think much of the third episode of HanaIro, but she probably watches more anime and reads more manga than me.

Cwarrior

Nichijou ep1

Really enjoyed this, there’s lot of good gif material in there and the music is fantastic.

food scene was epic also love the ending theme

e_i

Hanasaku Iroha episode 3:

Ohana is officially awesome. She doesn't even get pissed
when she finds out that pervy author was writing a yuri fanfic about her.

trejo

If we're gonna be using sisters as barometers of what a more normal person would consider socially acceptable in animu then my sister would probably roll her eyes once or twice and then laugh it off as silliness.

She was a fan of Toradora and went nuts over Nodame Cantabile, for reference.

trejo

icarus-daedelus said:
Is it too much to ask for just one show in a season season to have female characters - especially under 18s - who are both interestingly written and not overtly sexualized in an off-putting, pandering, creepy manner? And does this one show for Spring 2011 have to be fucking Nichijou?

Yes and yes. And no amount of hand-waving is going to stop it from bothering me, really. I sure do hope it gets away from this nonsense next time, but yeah, this particular plotline took up like 3/4 of this episode so it's hard to shrug off for this particular episode.
I don't think I've seen any overt sexualization in Nichijou?

But if you meant Hanasaku Iroha then I can tell you I don't see fanservice becoming a very prominent part of the show going forward. Or at the very least I really, really hope not. Otherwise I'll be right there with you.

e_i said:
Ohana is officially awesome. She doesn't even get pissed
when she finds out that pervy author was writing a yuri fanfic about her.
Well, her mom is a writer as well as an awful person. Who's to say this isn't the first time she's seen herself in such a situation.

Joe Molotov

firehawk12 said:
My parents already think people who watch cartoons over the age of 5 are losers - I can't imagine what they would have thought about bondage Ohana. :lol

You should tell your parents you're watching My Little Pony, then when they're like OMG NO!!!, you say JUST KIDDING I'm only watching HanaIro.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
7Th said:
That sounds like the best show ever.

If we're gonna be using sisters as barometers of what a more normal person would consider socially acceptable in animu then my sister would probably roll her eyes once or twice and then laugh it off as silliness.
Yeah my siblings wouldn't be a good example for this argument, considering they watch a lot of anime; and generally have no insecurity issues with watching something like K-ON.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
trejo said:
I don't think I've seen any overt sexualization in Nichijou?

But if you meant Hanasaku Iroha then I can tell you I don't see fanservice becoming a very prominent part of the show going forward. Or at the very least I really, really hope not. Otherwise I'll be right there with you.
She's saying Nichijou is the "safe show".

Besides, there's AnoHana as well!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Besides, there's AnoHana as well!
I'm actually expecting Anohana to have more grounded and realistic characters in the end, but at the same time it has the most unrealistic premise behind it!

I really do like the overall quirkiness of the HanIro characters though.

Jerk

Banned
Any advice on a romantic comedy of some sort?

I was considering on re-watching Ouran, but I would like to give something else a try first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom