• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched a bunch of shows and might as well tossed them all into one post.

The World God Only Knows 2 01
Wasn't bad. Elise is still as cute as ever, and liked the opening. I wonder how long it will be before it turns back into a 24 commercial for an insert song again.

Dog Days 1 and 2
Fairly surprised with how it turned out to be. While as cutesy as it appeared, it was quite enjoyable. Also, looks like it could easily come from something like a Atelier game.

Hidan no Aria 01
Decent. Eh, didn't really stand out that much. Might get more interesting if whatever members of the upcoming harem stands out from each other.

Ao no Exorcist 01
Looks pretty good. Kept me entrained the whole episode, and I couldn't even tell the filler apart from canon stuff.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
KuwabaraTheMan said:
I haven't gotten around to seeing the anime yet (which is why I didn't bring it up), but I really like what I've read of the manga. That's certainly a worthy recommendation.

Nodame is one of those rare shows where the anime is better. It follows the manga almost exactly, but having the music in the show makes it more alive. And if you're up for it, there was also a live action series which is arguably better than the anime (and like the anime follows the Manga very closely).

Lain

Lafiel said:
Is lovely complex actually genuinely good or are you guys trolling? the title doesn't fill me with much confidence.:lol
OK manga, bad anime (except for some episodes). At least that's my opinion after watching the anime and reading the manga.

Solune

Jerk said:
Lovely Complex 1

That was really, really enjoyable.

I grinned nonstop from beginning to end.
It's quite an enjoyable show. Also the character's attire and appearance change often so it's really refreshing and the design never grows dull
NotebookJ2 said:
So got around to watching Hanasaku Iroha. It's pretty enjoyable so far but the OP is kinda aaaaAARRRGHH
I wouldn't say kinda. I would say its just bad.

Instro

Speaking of OP's, I got around to watching the first episode of Denpa today and wow that OP is just awful. Not as bad as Kaiji S2 OP but its pretty close.

Jerk

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
I heard the OP and I dropped the show, true story. OPs are srs bsns.

Lucky for me that they waited until the end of the first episode to show the OP. I may have done the same otherwise.

Dororon Enma-kun Meramera 2:
Great stuff. Yukiko gets tentacle raped and then snake raped in the same episode. The constant interruptions in the flashback were pretty hilarious, too. This show is definitely bringing me some great laughs. One of the jewels of the season so far.

DrForester said:
Nodame is one of those rare shows where the anime is better. It follows the manga almost exactly, but having the music in the show makes it more alive. And if you're up for it, there was also a live action series which is arguably better than the anime (and like the anime follows the Manga very closely).

Yeah, I've meant to check out both adaptations for just that reason. I can definitely see how the presence of music would add a lot to the series. NANA was another series where actually getting to hear the music added a lot to the experience.

JKTrix said:
So news is spreading that director Osamu Dezaki has died of lung cancer.

Maybe I should bump up my long delayed watch through of Ace wo Nerae in honour

That's a big loss for anime.

I keep meaning to watch Ace wo Nerae. Maybe I should finally bite the bullet and get around to it.

Steroyd

Hana Iro - 3

Did I just... unwittingly watch a fanservice episode? o_O

Hen Zemi - 2

The realisation of the level of my gaming knowledge came to light, I laughed at Pinal Fantasy being created by Hiiro.

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
I'm sure there are people who are more inured to that sort of thing than I, but when you're getting flashes of panty shots and near-nudity every 30 seconds or so (except for when there aren't actual female characters on screen, in which case they talk about how much they wanna bang grrrrrrrrrrls cuz that's all they're good for or something, I wasn't paying much attention) and considering the characters are drawn in the usual looks-like-a-twelve-year-old fashion it's just really fucking disgusting. I mean, weird fetishes like drinking breast milk are one thing, hilarious and sad, fetishes that would be illegal if these weren't drawings (violence, children, animals) are another thing entirely.

If this were an OVA, whatever, some asshole will buy it and whack off to it no matter what it is, but it's unbelievable that these sorts of things are being aired on television somewhere.

There you go. Rant over. I'll try to go back to pretending these things don't exist.
How far did you get?

I tried watching this a few days ago, I think all I dignified it with was a little blurb about trying and quickly regretting it but it really was a terrible show. Amazingly so.

Like you say, the start is about all panty flashes, some guy, whose name I didn't care to catch gets woken up by one girl, walks to school and meets two other with tons of panty flashes all throughout. I mean, yeah, it was pretty bad, overt and they're children but it's not like we haven't seen this level of shit before.

So what got me was the next scene, it was so poorly done I don't even remember how it got there but now instead of the kid at school we're watching these idiots at a bar organizing a party. I assume this time they're adults, or young adults at the least, so the lame masturbation gags are semi passable but who the fuck are these people and what happened to the kids from earlier that were flashing everything? Is one of these that kid? But it seemed they finally got the quiet guy to join the party and that's where I stopped.

So yeah, the show is perverted, the first 1/3 does involve lots of children but it's true crime beyond that level of depravity is the sheer idiocy of the execution. It doesn't even try and hide that it's panderbait for losers without a story but what really pisses me off about it is that supposedly these are stories that deserve to be told, according to the show. Who writes this shit? Without the self hype I can dismiss this show as yet another piece of crap I accidentally clicked on but to hype itself, that's just unfuckingforgivable. Was some 13 year old writing this thinking it was the most awesome thing ever? There was nothing redeeming, not the story, the characters, the art, the sound, nothing and yet it has the gall to proclaim the stories should be told. No, they shouldn't.
A Black Falcon said:
Stop watching Clannad and finish Twelve Kingdoms!
A Black Falcon said:
Oh come on, look at his list there. Star Driver, better than SnW? Yeah, you quite overstate things here to say the least.
Hey now, I'm not him, I wouldn't rank Star Driver over Sora no Woto, they're equally crap, not that any of this matters as star driver and Sora no Woto, in my world, are fighting for who gets to be ranked a low 5 and a high 5 on a scale from 1 to 10.
A Black Falcon said:
So only one show you dislike at a time, then, you mean? :)
Err, not really, more like only one show I absolutely know I will hate at a time, some shows start bad and yet I continue because I see a glimmer of hope in them and think there's a chance it'll be good, like Sora no Woto, I kept waiting for them to "get real" and it just never happened, but a show that's already finished doesn't get that luxury.
A Black Falcon said:
Last Exile is way better than mediocre.
Can you separate the work from the work done on it? Technically Last Exile is mediocre in everything except the audio and animation, every technical aspect about it is poor, because it's a unique enough story that it survives being delivered so poorly is a testament to one thing, there was nothing else like it to make it apparent how bad it actually sucked. It's true, Last Exile only seems strong because there's little if anything else to compare it to, I have to give Gonzo props for trying and daring, but objectively it's not really that good.

There's nothing wrong with you liking it, or recommending it but recognize it's because you have no choice not that it's really that great. Like, I'd love for there to be something akin to Shadowrun as an anime. Some may say Ghost in the Shell's close but I don't think it really is, now if someone made a mediocre Shadowrun anime I'd probably like it, because it's all there is of that genre, hell I'd recommend it to people looking for that genre because, again, it'd be all there was but I like to think somewhere in the recesses of my brain I'd know it was still mediocre.
A Black Falcon said:
Hmm, perhaps. I'm not sure. If having the stories was necessary, though, it could have been presented better. Fantasy series often have multiple viewpoints, but most modern fantasy series and movies do it by alternating between them, not by having big blocks with each one. It's a better design because it keeps things moving without bogging you down for too long in any one storyline if you like one less. The Lord of the Rings books did stick with each group for a long time, but the genre in general has not followed that lead, and indeed even the LotR movies changed things to go to the more standard frequent-switches approach, which I think is better.

Now, sure, you could say that the nature of the sidestories in The Twelve Kingdoms would make that approach harder, but still, I'm sure there's a way that it could have been done.
I don't disagree, I was just saying why I think they did it. I think that kind of world expounding works in books but not so much in TV. One thing that I think is important to remember is that most of the side stories in the Twelve Kingdoms are set in the past, before Youko arrived in the other world, so having them play out simultaneously along with hers would have been equally a bad choice. So essentially while I agree they're the weakest part of the show I also don't really see a better way they could have been handled outside of just not including them which I think would have been a loss over all as they're not bad just not as good and interesting as Youko's story.
A Black Falcon said:
It did have flaws, but no, it was better than that.
See, I think it was more entertaining than some of the shows Jexhius will list that I think are better than Sora no Woto but part of that is my bias. I'm always aware of my bias, there's things I just like more and from the start Sora no Woto's world was more interesting than any of the other "real" good shows that season, sadly the work never lived up to that world, that's partly my fault because I went in with fixed expectations but be that as it may I'm still biased and more inclined to watch Sora no Woto than the Tatami Galaxy. Yet the Tatami Galaxy was still better than Sora no Woto, that make any sense?
A Black Falcon said:
You can say that on a probable basis, but not without certainty unless you watch it.
Well, obviously.
A Black Falcon said:
Didn't I say already? Nichijou! :)

(Again though, on that comparison it'll have to wait a bit until I can watch AnoHana.)
Tsk, tsk.
A Black Falcon said:
What's that spoiler about? Haven't watched that series.
icarus-daedelus said:
Jexhius used to type Tantami Galaxy instead of Tatami Galaxy like, every single time he talked about it. A charming little spelling error, like typing 'Spoon' instead of 'Spoor.'
I'm sure whoever made that mistake however instantly regretted it, learned from their actions and corrected her name from that point on, quite a different story from the Tantami Galaxy.

Cwarrior

i don't think denpa is as bad as iroha op

so whats the worst op out there?

Jerk said:
Define "worst."

Visuals that make you want to rip your eyes out and music that rape your ears something like music in a burnout game.

JordanLMiller said:
So I think I'll be watching Nichijou and Hanasaku Iroha this season. Hopefully I've made good picks and there's not too much I'll be missing.

Unless you only like Slice of Life, you'll be missing a ton. Hell, even if that is all you like.

Risette

A Good Citizen
JordanLMiller said:
So I think I'll be watching Nichijou and Hanasaku Iroha this season. Hopefully I've made good picks and there's not too much I'll be missing.
You're missing Dororon Enma-kun, C, and X-Men.
And maybe AnoHana if that gets better in the next episode.

cosmicblizzard said:
Unless you only like Slice of Life, you'll be missing a ton. Hell, even if that is all you like.

I watch older stuff too and I don't really have time to watch that much. I guess I meant to say these will be the ones I watch weekly as they happen.

mAcOdIn

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Nothing quells my anger towards schoolwork than buying some anime. Finally caved and pre-ordered The Girl Who Lept, over at deepdiscounts.
I had it pre-ordered at Righstuf and they shipped it last week! Booya.
Dance In My Blood said:
This was the worst shit I had ever seen in my life.
All I could feel was shame.
Oh man, I had fun raging over how stupid that shit was in Highschool of the Dead.
Cwarrior said:
so whats the worst op out there?
Not Maria+Holic Alive's.

Cwarrior

Aigis said:
You're missing Dororon Enma-kun, C, and X-Men.
And maybe AnoHana if that gets better in the next episode.

am still amazed people are recommending C and xmen both haven't even had a good episode yet.

x men i can understand if your marvel tard like me but C? what are you trying to do.. make him lose his lunch.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Cwarrior said:
am still amazed people are recommending C and xmen both haven't even had a good episode yet.

x men i can understand if your marvel fan like me but C what trying to do make him lose his launch.
C's first episode was great. Nowhere near Mononoke or Trapeze's first episodes but still great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom