• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh shit, Nichijou's OP is by Hyadain? Didn't realize. I know this isn't the first OP he's been involved in, but it seems like the first one he actually sang. Awesome.

JKTrix

cosmicblizzard said:
Oh shit, Nichijou's OP is by Hyadain? Didn't realize. I know this isn't the first OP he's been involved in, but it seems like the first one he actually sang. Awesome.
Really? What else?
Ed: Oh, his real name, and for shows I'll never watch.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Hellsing321 said:
Hanasaku Iroha 3
There will be so many doujins created from this episode that they will blot out the sun.
Then we shall fap in the shade. :p

Hanasaku Iroha 3
That was just so wrong, but oh so right. In my pants. :p

Nah, was pretty decent, though a part of me sort of wondered if the animation director couldn't help but throw in a blatant MALE GAZE thing with the wet t-shirt scene. On an additional point, that the quiet girl had a talent like swimming adds to her character and prevents her from being one dimensional. That's a move in the right direction, though JUST AS PLANNED Grandma is a bit of a disappointment...

Digimon Xros Wars 32:
Man, that was awesome. Kiriha has some really nice development in this episode, which was great to see. They're still avoiding getting into his past, but watching him stake his pride on the line and get the power of super evolution was awesome. I did find it funny how the blood stayed on his face for the entire fight, and then disappeared as soon as it was over. They're definitely not wasting time in the new arc, either. This would have been spread out over multiple episodes with weak 'comedy' if it was back in the early episodes of the show. Taiki showed some pretty impressive planning in how he managed to thwart the execution of the Xros Heart members, too.

Also, Nene is back and she's cosplaying. <3

Joule

jman2050 said:
Kita-nee only getting one OAV episode is downright criminal.
I'm not really against more SZS but Shaft is going to have to make it less repetitive if they're going to go for another season of it. Season 3 was just kinda blah to me.

cosmicblizzard said:
One Piece OP 11 and the Baka to Test OP. Dude's an actual composer.
Seems like he's also worked on a bunch of the Mitsudomoe singles.

His Nichijou OP is most definitely my favourite one he's done thus far.

Joe Molotov said:
I would weep tears of joy for PaniPoni S2.
CsO92.jpg

Jerk

Banned
doomed1 said:
Then we shall fap in the shade. :p

Hanasaku Iroha 3
That was just so wrong, but oh so right. In my pants. :p

Nah, was pretty decent, though a part of me sort of wondered if the animation director couldn't help but throw in a blatant MALE GAZE thing with the wet t-shirt scene. On an additional point, that the quiet girl had a talent like swimming adds to her character and prevents her from being one dimensional. That's a move in the right direction, though JUST AS PLANNED Grandma is a bit of a disappointment...

Agreed.

Still, anything keeping her from looking like a one-dimensional bitch is good.

hellclerk

Nichijou 3
I don't get the hate for the episode. The gags were BRILLIANT. When the professor put the scarf on the cat I was half-expecting it not to work, and the build-up to it was great too. Professor and Robot: Best characters or BEST CHARACTERS?
Trick question, they're BEST CHARACTERS

The gags were more subtle absurdist in this episode, based mostly around the characters and their ridiculous reactions to simple things than ridiculous situations. That whole straw doll thing between the Principal and Vice Principal was gold ONLY because of how the animation and voice work sold the shit out of it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
flawfuls said:
You could always just read the manga. I would say the manga is better anyways.
Manga doesn't have Chiaki Omigawa. Not interested :(

She is just perfect for Hotori. I wouldn't have enjoyed the show half as much if her voice wasn't in it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
You could always just read the manga. I would say the manga is better anyways.
I think they made the text better by re-arranging the chapters.

Also, Dresden stole my Game of Thrones line. :(

That and Chuck are basically live action Amerime.

Geneijin

I wasn't playing on watching Episode 3 of HanaIro today, but there's so much talk about it strangely.

zeroshiki said:
The first episode was excellent. At first you find her annoying but eventually, as it dawns on you what happened and then the confession scene and the scene with her family, the waves of sadness hit. Excellently manipulative. The bastards.

If I wasn't firmly on Team Ohana, I'd be flying the Mono no Aware flag. But Alas.
It was even more manipulative than that, but it's purely speculation from me at this point . It's also why Naruko might be one of my favorite characters when this is finished. I don't think it's a coincidence the ED is sung by the three girls unless I'm mistaken.

Halycon said:
Mono no aware is so much more than wistfulness. It is the ultimate manifestation of the beauty inherent in glorious Nihongo. To say anything less would be an insult to their history, their culture.

(I say it because it amuses me.)
Guilty
as well.

7Th said:
GORIPONMASTER CONFIRMED FOR SUMMER'S BEST SHOW

Edit: I was lied to! The Dengeki pictures made me think that it really was a 5-minutes-long trailer for the actual TV show, not just them parading the character designs around with 20 seconds of animated footage at the end! I still love the character designs, though.
There was never a doubt.

Lain said:
Am I the only one having a blast with Battle Girls?
One guy said he found it the most enjoyable out of everything from this season. I'm watching it too, but I think I'll be dropping it eventually.

Aigis said:
AnoHana related: Am I the only one bothered by the fact that Menma
can apparently touch real things, as that girl who gives the main guy papers said she felt her neck being weighed down when Menma was hugging her? Plus she picked those flowers that landed on the main guy when she fell.

Couldn't the main guy just lead all the friends and her parents to a sandbox and let her draw messages or something.
Nope. It's not a pressing issue for me right now with what Episode 1 covered, but it will be a concern in future episodes. Depends what they want to do with the narrative from here.

Lafiel said:
I think the flashbacks indicate they are taking it seriously in a sense, as the portrayal of her mother isn't exactly positive you know.
They are but she willingly
ate the broccoli too.

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, but she isn't exactly the mother from Aishiteru ze Baby or anything. She's more like the "herp derp" parents form Hayate the Combat Butler.

I mean, the other "angst" moment was when the childhood friend confesses his feelings to Ohana and even that isn't like, slit your wrists Toradora level angst. It just happens and both characters move on, Voices of a Distant Star style.
Except Hayate's parents weren't integral to the story other than being a setup towards it.

zeroshiki

Geneijin said:
It was even more manipulative than that, but it's purely speculation from me at this point . It's also why Naruko might be one of my favorite characters when this is finished. I don't think it's a coincidence the ED is sung by the three girls unless I'm mistaken.

You think maybe Anaru (lol) was
responsible for Menma's death
?

firehawk12 said:
I don't think that matters though. The mom isn't a big deal in Aishiteru ze Baby either.

She comes back though. Causing everyone angst and stuff.

Dresden

Halycon said:
Wait, Ohana's mom is integral to the story?
Tbh a meeting between her and the dictator grandma seems inevitable. No doubt Ohanaruto will use her shoujo haato powers to bring them to a reconciliation.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
She comes back though. Causing everyone angst and stuff.

Dresden said:
Tbh a meeting between her and the dictator grandma seems inevitable. No doubt Ohanaruto will use her shoujo haato powers to bring them to a reconciliation.

Stole my line again. :(

In fact, the fact that Obasan has fond memories of her daughter/Ohana's mother means that reconciliation is inevitable.

Joule

Iroha 3: Beanman and tortoise bondage hah. Creepy author guy is just some poor sap that has to write erotic novels to pay his bills. Ko finally mailed her back. He's making fair progress. It's only episode 3. I really would like to see it go 5cm/s like suggested earlier. That would be amazing.

The amount of positive doings in this show is what makes it really good to me. What a nice treat for Sundays. The fanservice was there but it wasn't so excessive as to bother me (it doesn't seem like this will be regularly occurring either). Nako being a great swimmer is a cool trait. I'm also increasingly enjoying the casting. Energetic Mamiko Noto <3 Kanae Itou is just so likable as Ohana.

Nichijou 3: I think this is starting to grow on me slowly. It was a slower episode without any big action scene but it was still kind of nice. Not many laughs but there was a fair amount of amusement had. Rock paper scissors will never get old. Ever. Also now Sakamoto the cat is in on things. The vice principal and principal gag was pretty funny to me.

hellclerk

firehawk12 said:

In fact, the fact that Obasan has fond memories of her daughter/Ohana's mother means that reconciliation is inevitable.
Yeah, but they won't do it until the last few episodes, to finish up JUST in time for Ohana to patch things up with Kou for GOOD END or something.

Meanwhile, AnoHana can only end in tears, bittersweet, and TO THE FUTURE FOR OUR ADORABLE DEAD FRIEND!

It's kinda depressing how predictable it can be. I'm all for being wrong, in fact I welcome it, I'll enjoy it more, but eh, it's all too clear... It doesn't help that Ohana seems to have a mild case of female APS since she seems to be capable of powering through shit by just being insistent, though of course, it's somewhat subtle and too early to tell if it'll stay that way.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
firehawk12 said:
I think they made the text better by re-arranging the chapters.

Also, Dresden stole my Game of Thrones line. :(

That and Chuck are basically live action Amerime.

Maybe chuck is, but a game of thrones is to good to be considered anime! >_>

zeroshiki

HanaIro has 2 seasons. I am certain lots of sad things will go down as well. They're just able to pace themselves better because of the space provided by the 20+ episodes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
doomed1 said:
Yeah, but they won't do it until the last few episodes, to finish up JUST in time for Ohana to patch things up with Kou for GOOD END or something.

Meanwhile, AnoHana can only end in tears, bittersweet, and TO THE FUTURE FOR OUR ADORABLE DEAD FRIEND!
Asian "stories" (in the women and their "stories" kind of way) are always predictable though. It's a matter of execution for the most part.

zeroshiki said:
HanaIro has 2 seasons. I am certain lots of sad things will go down as well. They're just able to pace themselves better because of the space provided by the 20+ episodes.
I honestly don't think it's going to be "that" kind of show. At best, conflict will be created in order to create "learning moments" like the one at the end of this last episode.

Lafiel said:
Game of Thrones has a lot of fanservice. They might as well have had a sword fly through those flapping boobs! ;)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dresden said:
And she'll fail at that just like she has been doing all along!

Dresden

Lafiel said:
I was joking, but there is an additional level of... unbelievability? It's one thing to see things play out on page, and another to play out on the screen. I thought they did a fine job but there's always this nagging feeling of detachment from the whole dealio.

That said the people I was watching it with were mostly unacquainted with the novels, but enjoyed the show nonetheless. I enjoyed it too, and I'm ecstatic that we're finally seeing the fruits of what was once just a hopeful rumor.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
I was joking, but there is an additional level of... unbelievability? It's one thing to see things play out on page, and another to play out on the screen. I thought they did a fine job but there's always this nagging feeling of detachment from the whole dealio.

That said the people I was watching it with were mostly unacquainted with the novels, but enjoyed the show nonetheless. I enjoyed it too, and I'm ecstatic that we're finally seeing the fruits of what was once just a hopeful rumor.
I think it goes to show that anime would be taken seriously if it was live action and on a cable network. Suddenly it becomes edgy and adult instead of for childish misogynistic manbabies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Dresden said:

That said the people I was watching it with were mostly unacquainted with the novels, but enjoyed them nonetheless. So it might just be me.

Honestly i might have been biased watching it, because every minute gave me nerd chills.:lol seeing all the characters come to life was amazing

Game of Thrones has a lot of fanservice. They might as well have had a sword fly through those flapping boobs! ;)
It's funny how people here complain about the fanservice in hanasaku iroha, when it was even more gratuitous in a game of thrones!

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
I'm planning on it. Before I would've just said "fuck Bee Train" from atop my high horse, but it can't be as bad as anything else I've seen today! And you guys seem to think it's an above average effort (...for Bee Train) so that's good to know.
In other words, now you've reached the bottom of the barrel a Bee Train show would be a masterpiece by comparison?

hellclerk

firehawk12 said:
Asian "stories" (in the women and their "stories" kind of way) are always predictable though. It's a matter of execution for the most part.
True, but if it really is a nihil novis sub soli situation, the bar for execution becomes ever higher. With these sorts of stories, it's not enough to be "okay", you have to be better than everyone else within your style, and this style is just so forgettable to me. I'll enjoy it while it lasts, but I'm not sure I'll have any recollection when it's over and the next season comes up.

zeroshiki

Lafiel said:
It's funny how people here complain about the fanservice in hanasaku iroha, when it was even more gratuitous in a game of thrones!

Not sure if serious but...

The expectations coming in and the audience is incredibly different.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
But isn't that going to be a billion episodes? I suppose One Piece and Bleach and all those shows are still on too. :lol
Is there any more broeist then hunting a giant crocodile, punching it hard, and then eating it? I don't think so.

Calcaneus

firehawk12 said:
I think it goes to show that anime would be taken seriously if it was live action and on a cable network. Suddenly it becomes edgy and adult instead of for childish misogynistic manbabies.
Well, certain anime.

And please no Game of Thrones spoilers, I just started reading the book. I know you guys probably wouldn't throw any out there, but I'm paranoid.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Yeah, and what does AnoHana have to offer in the sex hair department? Orange twintails. I see a clear winner here.

Although I'm not feeling very charitable towards HanaIro this week, so as long as AnoHana manages not to totally shove the Casper angle in my face this week I might
have to defect and
enjoy it more.
You know how we deal with traitors in these parts!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Calcaneus said:
Well, certain anime.

And please no Game of Thrones spoilers, I just started reading the book. I know you guys probably wouldn't throw any out there, but I'm paranoid.
Yeah, that reminds me I've had the first book for almost a year now. I should probably read it sometime soon.

zeroshiki

Calcaneus said:
Well, certain anime.

The wolves eat the kids.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
doomed1 said:
True, but if it really is a nihil novis sub soli situation, the bar for execution becomes ever higher. With these sorts of stories, it's not enough to be "okay", you have to be better than everyone else within your style, and this style is just so forgettable to me. I'll enjoy it while it lasts, but I'm not sure I'll have any recollection when it's over and the next season comes up.
That just comes down to personal taste though, because nothing is original at this point. I joke, but it's why the same topics come up in the anime threads after all.

Calcaneus said:
Well, certain anime.

It turns out they were dead all along and this is just a dream in the Matrix.

Jerk

Banned
firehawk12 said:

Y'all are breaking my heart.

I really do not want their relationship to be magically mended.

Same goes for Ohana's loser childhood friend. Minko is much more suited for her anyway.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Jerk said:
Y'all are breaking my heart.

I really do not want their relationship to be magically mended.

Same goes for Ohana's loser childhood friend. Minko is much more suited for her anyway.
Minko end is true end! I should probably watch episode 2 and 3 now but I can smell my roommates getting high.

Jex

flawfuls said:
So does Kaiji.
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeer.
Rektash said:
I am already considering the same. I don't need 16 year olds in bondage scenes. Will wait for another few eps though since I have hopes that it won't go on like that. Just when I thought I found me a new and nice slice of life anime, massive fanservice kicks in :-/.
That's considered 'massive fanservice'? Maybe you haven't been exposed to a lot of anime by certain studios.
Rektash said:
In what times do we live that bath scenes aren't even considered fanservice anymore :O?
I've seen characters dress more revealingly then that bath scene. It was pretty tame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom