• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Geneijin said:
And before we know it, we'll be comparing which series had the least distracting/appealing fanservice between AnoHana and HanaIro.
Well, AnoHana had subtler fanservice, I'm not talking about the opening scene.

Dresden

You know, AnoHana might be the first noitaminA show in a while to actually sell decently. At least if the preorder numbers don't suddenly drop.

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
You always have Aria!
Never seen it.
firehawk12 said:
Clearly Dawg Dayz is the winner here!
Actually, up until the very end where the green haired girl's clothes just exploded(?what?) it did handle fanservice better, the chick was just like, "eh, I can go on but it'd be too much fanservice for ya'll, I surrender," I like that better than a lot of the shit we get but then 10 seconds later the other girl's clothes exploded. Oh well, it's a kids' show in a country with declining birthrates so it's probably some kind of not so subtle mental training by government mandate, I hope, although they'll need to take it a bit further to have a real effect.

Oh and we know now of Funimation's releases up until July and STILL no Spice and Wolf 2? But Strike Witches is getting a Bluray/DVD combo release*? Fuck you Funimation.

Edit:* Ok, maybe it's just a DVD re-release, still fuck you Funimation!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
You know, AnoHana might be the first noitaminA show in a while to actually sell decently. At least if the preorder numbers don't suddenly drop.
Unless Amazon accounts for all the sales it gets and it still ends up doing sub 1000 numbers. I don't expect much from your Japanese counterparts.

And, I suppose I don't blame them, if everything is 60-80 bucks there.

mAcOdIn said:
Never seen it.
Boo-urns.

Oh and we know now of Funimation's releases up until July and STILL no Spice and Wolf 2? But Strike Witches is getting a Bluray/DVD combo release? Fuck you Funimation.
Clearly the wolf girls in Strike Witches are better than the one in Spice and Wolf?

Random edit: The Persona 2 Hitler thing is hilarious. It makes me wish that the Japanese weren't self-aware and pretended that the sensibilities of the rest of the world didn't matter like they did back in the 80s and 90s.
lXyta.png

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
Boo-urns.
I bet it has too many moements for me anyways.
firehawk12 said:
Clearly the wolf girls in Strike Witches are better than the one in Spice and Wolf?
Now that's slanderous! Careful with your state...er.. questions Mr. Beck or I'll do more than cut you down!
firehawk12 said:
Random edit: The Persona 2 Hitler thing is hilarious. It makes me wish that the Japanese weren't self-aware and pretended that the sensibilities of the rest of the world didn't matter like they did back in the 80s and 90s.
lXyta.png
Lol, what? Not Hitler but them not caring in the 80s or 90s but caring now, only real difference now is copyright law, poor Spiderman and Batman in Shinobi 2, but I doubt they really care what we think over there their American arms just care what they bring over for money's sake. A lot of the shit we got in the 80s and 90s and still get to this day didn't directly get released from them, hence Strike Witches from Funimation! Fucking Funimation. If the Japanese gave two shits about what we thought they'd refuse to license it on the grounds it'd make them look bad but so long as an American company will peddle their smut for them it's all good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
Aoi Hana 8

More girls crying. Delicious. Well, not too many episodes left now.
Is this after she
comes out to her family?

mAcOdIn said:
I bet it has too many moements for me anyways.
It's not moe at all... unless you count cat moe. :lol

Lol, what? Not Hitler but them not caring in the 80s or 90s but caring now, only real difference now is copyright law, poor Spiderman and Batman in Shinobi 2, but I doubt they really care what we think over there their American arms just care what they bring over for money's sake. A lot of the shit we got in the 80s and 90s and still get to this day didn't directly get released from them, hence Strike Witches from Funimation! Fucking Funimation. If the Japanese gave two shits about what we thought they'd refuse to license it on the grounds it'd make them look bad but so long as an American company will peddle their smut for them it's all good.
Why get rid of Hitler then? Surely the Japanese don't give a shit.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
firehawk12 said:
lXyta.png

You know i wonder if someone has already attached the deal with it macro to that image..

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
It's not moe at all... unless you count cat moe. :lol
I count all moe!
firehawk12 said:
Why get rid of Hitler then? Surely the Japanese don't give a shit.
Well what's the context here as I'm not familiar with this Hitler thing. Is this from the PSP remake or from the original Persona 2? Is this from the part of Persona 2 that wasn't originally released in the US or is this something cut from the version we got in the US? I dunno about this. Oh wait, they changed his name to Fuhrer and put some glasses on him in the remake, yawn.

Somebody probably thought it was cool, hip or some shit, not like they changed his color palette.

Geneijin

Hanasaku Iroha - 3
I'll just say "it" could have been more subtle.

firehawk12 said:
lXyta.png
Is that someone's avatar here? It's the perfect size.

Infinite Justice said:
The pic alone already gives off the message imo, no need for text
Oh sh-

Edit:
Jexhius said:
Well, AnoHana had subtler fanservice, I'm not talking about the opening scene.
Yeah, I think it did as well. We're talking about when
Naruko was in her room, right?
(not sure why I feel that's spoiler worthy :lol)

Jex

Geneijin said:
Yeah, I think it did as well. We're talking about when
Naruko was in her room, right?
(not sure why I feel that's spoiler worthy :lol)
Yeah, that's the one.
Salazar said:
Not happy with Durarara switching its OP.

The original one was fantastic.
Shows sure do love switching to an awful second OP (I'm looking at you Death Note).

Jex

Lafiel said:
The second death note OP is hilariously bad ass and awesome.
Bah, it's terrible, the poster-child of stupid second OP's.

Although DtB is another good example. Or the Gundam 00 S2 OP2.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
What are you guys talking about, the second Death Note OP was hilarious in its stupidity and over-the-top nature.
Exactly and it fit well with the direction the show was going in at the time!

Dresden

Lafiel said:
Sounds like Jexhius is being overruled!

At least it's not like Black Lagoon where the OVA's opening is just the original OP, but remixed and made worse.

Jex

Lafiel said:
I dunno, the first OP was ridiculous as well but it did a great job capturing the themes and spirit of the show without looking like someone just vomited all over their editing software.

Branduil

It's hard to think of shows with a good first OP where subsequent ones lived up to it. I guess FMA would be one. Higurashi and Spice and Wolf's second OPs are fine, but it's hard to say they're better than the first ones.

Obviously the SZS OPs are all good.

Branduil

firehawk12 said:
I'm curious, other than wackiness with changing OPs and EDs, do people watch them after the first episode?
I'll watch the OP if it's good.

Rarely watch the ED after the first time since almost no effort is put into most of them.

Jex

Branduil said:
It's hard to think of shows with a good first OP where subsequent ones lived up to it. I guess FMA would be one. Higurashi and Spice and Wolf's second OPs are fine, but it's hard to say they're better than the first ones.
City Hunter 3, obviously - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y-cJI0Cl0s
firehawk12 said:
I'm curious, other than wackiness with changing OPs and EDs, do people watch them after the first episode?
Most of the time if the opening is good, as a few of them even set the mood.

I rarely watch the endings because, as has already been noted, they tend to be pretty bland.

firehawk12 said:

If they're good. Might end up skipping them eventually though to save time or if they last a lot of episodes. They have to be REALLY good for me to watch it every time if it's the latter. I remember One Piece's 2nd OP lasted like 70 episodes or something ridiculous like that and I didn't skip it once.

Dresden

I usually skip them. In the last year I don't think there was ever an opening that I sat through after the first two or so episodes.

Something like Baccano's op, sure, I'll sit through it.

Jex

Branduil said:
I saw a City Hunter live-action film with Jackie Chan with some friends a while back. It was so, so bad.
I going to presume that's so so bad bad, not so so bad good.

Only here do I have to ask for such clarifications.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
I always watch the OP (unless it's absolutely terrible and since animu music is never very good it helps if the OP is nice looking but that ultimately doesn't matter) it puts me in the mood for watching a show, plus nothing is ever really important or interesting enough to warrant skipping it in the first place. ED's I usually leave on in the background while I do something else.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Nonoriri said:
I always watch the OP (unless it's absolutely terrible and since animu music is never very good it helps if the OP is nice looking but that ultimately doesn't matter) it puts me in the mood for watching a show, plus nothing is ever really important or interesting enough to warrant skipping it in the first place. ED's I usually leave on in the background while I do something else.

I agree 100% with this.

Jex

Nonoriri said:
If I skip that minute twenty times then I've made time for one more episode!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's just weird, because American shows have gotten rid of "OPs" and "EDs" in favour of more commercial time and I've almost gotten used to not having to deal with them.

Of course, I guess if you're watching it live to air on a TV in Japan, scrubbing through a progress bar isn't exactly an option.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
I going to presume that's so so bad bad, not so so bad good.

Only here do I have to ask for such clarifications.
Well that's always going to be a YMMV thing. I'll just say that every aspect of the movie except the martial arts was unbelievably amateurish. The writing and acting was painful. And even the martial arts scenes went on way too long.

And then there's this scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CuGbxYXmm8

mAcOdIn

Branduil said:
Well that's always going to be a YMMV thing. I'll just say that every aspect of the movie except the martial arts was unbelievably amateurish. The writing and acting was painful. And even the martial arts scenes went on way too long.

And then there's this scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CuGbxYXmm8
Which is the Jackie Chan movie where he cross dresses as Chun-Li?

Edit 1: Lol, he does it in this one too? I was thinking of a different scene, he's under cover or something.

Edit 2: Damnit, now Nintendo thinks I'm a furry and are sending me furry emails?

Lain

Jexhius said:
Bah, it's terrible, the poster-child of stupid second OP's.
I'm with you on this. I never understood the appeal of that horrible song. Yeah, it was over the top, but that wasn't enough to make me like the ears scratching sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom