• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Well, he does blush now and then. Lulz.

But Keima is weird, and not in a positive way. He's an antisocial nerd and the arcs help him get out of the shell as much as he helps the heroines deal with whatever troubles they have.
Maybe it plays different in the manga, but he hardly changes in the show.

mAcOdIn said:
That's a different concept, the set is a FANTASTIC value, I never said otherwise. Although watching everyone on there twice makes you a little strange but I'm not the kind of man that cares about commentaries and behind the scenes stuff, in fact I haven't watched anything besides the various movie cuts from the set. I dunno what other extras are even on there!

Hah, well, I watched the actual movies twice... the specials once.

Dresden

The Storyteller said:
I have not. This thread has already lied to me many times, there is only so much awful animu one can watch.
It always annoys me when people are like, you lied to me! even jokingly after a recommendation falls through. I was like, it's not my goddamn fault you didn't like Robert Graves.

firehawk12 said:
Maybe it plays different in the manga, but he hardly changes in the show.
The anime moves slowly, so it'll never get there. At the end of season two I don't think it'll even reach chapter fifty, and the manga is over 150 now.

Solune

The Storyteller said:
I have not. This thread has already lied to me many times, there is only so much awful animu one can watch.
Spring 2011 Anime Thread of Hanasaku Iroha and all the other crap?

Salazar

Dresden said:
It always annoys me when people are like, you lied to me! even jokingly after a recommendation falls through.

To be fair, my worst experiences (Gantz, Berserk, RahXephon) came from my own volition, not from this thread's recommendations.

flawfuls

The Storyteller said:

Well if you like Iroha and Wandering Son then it's worth a try at least. It's not quite as good as those two and it has this really annoying little girl, but it's the same type of show and it's pretty well done.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The Storyteller said:
Personally not so sure if you'd like AnoHana personally; i already have some tad reservations about the possible "melodramatic" directions the story will take.

mAcOdIn

The Storyteller said:
It's also decent but there's going to be fanservice in it too.

I'm not going to be as harsh as icarus-daedelus regarding it but I also dislike it. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure enough of my attraction to real adult women as opposed to facsimiles of children that I can handle watching kids be placed into sexual situations, it's the childish framing of it all that gets me. None of these kids react how a kid would react, it's so surreal. You wanna make a show about some teens fucking like rabbits? Go ahead but don't make it so juvenile it feels like a 12 year old dreaming about it wrote it. Take out the stupid nose bleeds, stop making men pass out when a girl touches them, stop making girls shriek like banshees if they think a guy's looking at their breasts, I'm not asking them to be adult about it I'm asking them to be at least juvenile about it but current fanservice isn't even up to juvenile standards. It's off putting and creepy.
firehawk12 said:
Hah, well, I watched the actual movies twice... the specials once.
Well that's not too bad unless you purchased the set yesterday.

Fine. I'll give it a shot, I've likely watched worse this season.

mAcOdIn said:

I'm not going to be as harsh as icarus-daedelus regarding it but I also dislike it. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure enough of my attraction to real adult women as opposed to facsimiles of children that I can handle watching kids be placed into sexual situations, it's the childish framing of it all that gets me. None of these kids react how a kid would react, it's so surreal. You wanna make a show about some teens fucking like rabbits? Go ahead but don't make it so juvenile it feels like a 12 year old dreaming about it wrote it. Take out the stupid nose bleeds, stop making men pass out when a girl touches them, stop making girls shriek like banshees if they think a guy's looking at their breasts, I'm not asking them to be adult about it I'm asking them to be at least juvenile about it but current fanservice isn't even up to juvenile standards. It's off putting and creepy.

Indeed.

Speaking of perversion...

Hen Zemi 2
This isn't the kind of perversion I signed up for. Its not even that this show is explicit in anyway. The stuff they talk about is just gross. I don't think I'll watch the next episode.

Seitokai Yakuindono 14
Circumcision jokes! GAF would have had a field day with this episode. There was not enough Kobayashi-sensei(I for the characters actual name) in this episode, but thats kind of a problem with the whole series.

Dresden

mAcOdIn said:

Dumb sex scenes are like required in anything nerdy. See: Game of Thrones. People in the thread are like, they made that scene with Emilia Clarke look like rape! But it's a thirteen, fourteen year old girl who's about to get fucked by a thirty-something warlord, what'd you expect?

flawfuls

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Meant to ask this earlier but did anyone get reminded of 20th century boys when watching AnoHana ?

Uh no. What about it is similar? The fact that there is a group of childhood friends and some flashbacks?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Infinite Justice said:
Wait people are still outraged by the Iroha "fanservice" ITT? yikes.
I think i will start complaining if it starts becoming more prominent, that said the more i think about it, due to the whole meta nature of the plot of that episode. I'm expecting it to be a one-off episode in terms of how it handles fanservice, and the rest of them should be more in line with the tone set by episode 1 & 2, unless they decide they need to figure out a another way of selling more dvds!

Dumb sex scenes are like required in anything nerdy. See: Game of Thrones. People in the thread are like, they made that scene with Emilia Clarke look like rape! But it's a thirteen, fourteen year old girl who's about to get fucked by a thirty-something warlord, what'd you expect?
But she's not 13 or 14 in the show.

NewFresh

flawfuls said:
Uh no. What about it is similar? The fact that there is a group of childhood friends and some flashbacks?
exactly. It wasn't a story thing
i am not that oblivious
just that the childhood friend flashbacks reminded me of it. That is all

mAcOdIn

Dresden said:
Huh? I'm not familiar with what you're talking about but rape and dumb are two different things. If she gets raped she gets raped, that's a real enough situation, definitely not a good one and certainly off-putting to some but I wouldn't call it fake or dumb, what goes on in most anime as fanservice is indeed dumb. There's a difference. Maybe, like I said I don't know what Game of Thrones is, maybe it's also dumb.

And the other half of my criticism stems from the idea I don't see anime as a genre, even if it unfortunately can usually be summed up into one, but merely as just another way of showing a moving image. It can be as mature, juvenile, smart, dumb, nerdy or casual as it wants, constraining itself to meet just the dumb, nerdy and juvenile with a hint of smart every once in a while is not a fault of anime but those who make anime.

Jex

pieatorium said:
Today is my 30th Birthday :O
tumblr_lhv7jlWX881qf14tro1_500.jpg

*insert joke about otaku expiration date*

Dresden

Nichijou 3:

Didn't really dig this episode. Dull.
Lafiel said:
But she's not 13 or 14 in the show.
Tbh I'm not sure why I even brought it up in this thread, it's just been bothering me for a while. And yeah, they aged up the kids to make all the smut kosher and not pedo, but still. People are like, he loved her tenderly in the book! Me: Ugh.

Solune said:
Spring 2010 Anime Thread of Hanasaku Iroha and all the other crap?
Should've been 'Spring 2011 Anime Thread of it's all nerdy shit anyways, fuck anime, go play ping-pong'.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hanasaku Iroha Episode 2-3:
Very nice, it's pretty amusing seeing Ohana try to adapt to life at the inn. Minko and Nako look to be some nice perspective friends in the future if they get more familiar with each other. Creepy writer guy was pretty funny in his failure to succeed at anything, and seriously people where outraged by THAT!? Total lightweights.

Jex

Branduil said:
Deadman Wonderland 1

An absurdist masterpiece. By cleverly subverting our expectations of a story with causal believability, the viewer is forced to examine the nonsensical nature of our own universe. After all, stories where events always proceed in a logical manner are the true unbelievable ones. We live in a crazy world, and Deadman Wonderland recognizes and exploits that truth by hyperbolizing and contextualizing our inexplicable reality. By presenting a world where things like school field trips to prison amusement parks exist, the viewer is encouraged to ponder the bread and circuses of our own, "civilized" age.

The scene where the main character "confesses" to his crime is a prime example of the anime's genius. It is truly an unbelievable scene, but when you think about, is it really that unusual? In the aftermath of a tragedy, people become desperate for a scapegoat, and the sacrificial lamb must be bled.

When Ganta plaintively cries "this can't be happening!", he truly speaks for all of us. How else can we respond to the mad terror of this world? As the female captain of the guards said, "life can be crazy sometimes. There's no escaping reality." Keen insight, Makina. Keen, piercing insight.

Indeed, just look at the pivotal event in the opening. A flying figure from nowhere, inexplicably slaughtering a class of high school students. This scene represents the incomprehensible randomness of tragedy. It is foolhardy to try to understand why things happen, or assign blame for the tangled causality of our universe.

Why is an albino girl in a bizarrely-patterned jumpsuit suddenly trying to kill Ganta? Why suddenly insert a scene with a prisoner holding someone hostage and then a revelation of the effects of candy in such an inappropriate place in the episode? The point is, it doesn't matter. Just as one cannot perceive the sound of one-hand-clapping, the actions of any given person cannot be truly understood, even yourself. We are all but puppets of the quantum fluctuations of the microverse.
I knew it'd be a useful and eye-opening experience for you.

Dresden

InfiniteNine said:
Very nice, it's pretty amusing seeing Ohana try to adapt to life at the inn. Minko and Nako look to be some nice perspective friends in the future if they get more familiar with each other. And seriously people where outraged by THAT!? Total lightweights.
Bothered not by hardcore it was, but rather in how out of place it was.

Besides, not all of us are hardened hentai-vets like you, man. :3

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dresden said:
Bothered not by hardcore it was, but rather in how out of place it was.

Besides, not all of us are hardened hentai-vets like you, man. :3
I just thought it was a bit silly/funny nothing to get outraged over.

Jex

InfiniteNine said:
Creepy writer guy was pretty funny in his failure to succeed at anything, and seriously people where outraged by THAT!? Total lightweights.
Well, as they say, you can be offended by anything. In many cases, with good reason.
icarus-daedelus said:
I'm not honestly seeing anywhere I said I didn't like Blade Runner.
It must be all that realistic chemistry and powerful acting from Harrison Ford and Sean Young.
pieatorium said:
Theres a really big variety in shows that are at the very least decent or that look promising this season, I would add to your list
Sket Dance
Ao No Excorcist
Dororon Enma-kun
Yondemasu yo Azazel-san
Toriko
Some say most of those were left off with good reason.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
I knew it'd be a useful and eye-opening experience for you.
It's just refreshing how fully it embraces not making any sense at all. It's probably not even intentional, the writer just does not even grasp the basic elements of screenwriting. It's basically just random scenes, character types, and lines of dialogue strung together in an arbitrary way.

Geneijin

The Storyteller said:
I would like to think you've seen AnoHana before you said what you did, which was why I ask. It might not be better than HanaIro for you, but I think it's pretty solid and has potential to be very promising. No reason to not give it a chance if you haven't already checked it out.

mAcOdIn

It's more disappointing than outrageous. Look, entertainment is something we have to choose from not that we create ourselves so nothing is exactly as one wants. So when you find a show that looks like one thing and you get excited and then later realize it's only going to be marginally different than the rest you're disappointed. I doubt people here actually get outraged, anyone alive longer than 10 years has been disappointed in how something's played out at some point and should have some tolerance to it but there's no reason not to be disappointed when something fails to live up to your expectations.

Branduil said:
It's just refreshing how fully it embraces not making any sense at all. It's probably not even intentional, the writer just does not even grasp the basic elements of screenwriting. It's basically just random scenes, character types, and lines of dialogue strung together in an arbitrary way.

so you've turned doomed1 on us :O

InfiniteNine said:
I just thought it was a bit silly/funny nothing to get outraged over.

Same here plus it was mostly in context imo (dude writing a trashy novel using these girls as subjects). *shrug*

and whats interesting to me is the whole "oh my god this show is ruined forever" thing that seems to be building.

jman2050

I was mulling over it and I think my biggest problem with AnoHana is that the episode felt like it should have been halfway through the show instead of at the very start. Then again, it's possible they'll pull the "hook the viewer with episode 1 shenanigans and then start from square one from episode two on" but given the ostensible premise that doesn't seem to be the case.

Basically, the show has to get me interested in the ultimate goal for it to work for me.

flawfuls

Hellsing321 said:
Hen Zemi 2
This isn't the kind of perversion I signed up for. Its not even that this show is explicit in anyway. The stuff they talk about is just gross. I don't think I'll watch the next episode.

Hen Zemi is a very unpleasant show to watch, but I can appreciate how unique it is. It probably ropes people in making them think it's some lighthearted fan service anime, but there is very little outright fanservice and it has this bizarre academic view of perversion. The episodes tend to vary between boring and outright disgusting. It's like the shows creators are actively making the show hard to watch. I doubt I will watch this show anymore (I actually bailed out mid way through episode 2 when they started talking about "fishing"), but I can appreciate the show on some level and I actually learned a few things from it. Things that I might be better off not knowing, but whatever.

Also shouldn't it be called Hen Semi as in Hentai Seminar? Why the hell does everyone refer to it as Hen Zemi?

Dresden

It's Hen Semi (the ending for the OVAs actually spells it out), but people are just familiar with Hen Zemi, I suppose.

The novelty wore off for me and I can't be bothered to watch the actual anime. Besides, the character designs are hideous.

Jex

Branduil said:
Oh, I don't think they're arbitrary.

The writer was all like "I'm going want to SHOCK the audience with something crazy at the start. So we'll have these two people talk to the protagonist and because they talk to him for a minute they're his friends and we have to care for them.

Then OH SHIT they're all dead and the walls exploded and stuff is getting fucked up. BAM. Now how can I make it feel like the whole world is against the protagonist, but in subtle way, so that we feel as low as he does? I've got it!"

You know how the rest of the story goes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
*someone makes the 2001 argument*
Oh Kubrick.

flawfuls said:
Hen Zemi is a very unpleasant show to watch, but I can appreciate how unique it is. It probably ropes people in making them think it's some lighthearted fan service anime, but there is very little outright fanservice and it has this bizarre academic view of perversion. The episodes tend to vary between boring and outright disgusting. It's like the shows creators are actively making the show hard to watch. I doubt I will watch this show anymore (I actually bailed out mid way through episode 2 when they started talking about "fishing"), but I can appreciate the show on some level and I actually learned a few things from it. Things that I might be better off not knowing, but whatever.

Also shouldn't it be called Hen Semi as in Hentai Seminar? Why the hell does everyone refer to it as Hen Zemi?
It's actually "Strange (Physiology) Seminar". For some reason the Z is there.

And maybe I'm the I9 of this situation, but the psychological perversion stuff is hilarious to me. I feel like this is sex for grownups, whereas bland fanservice shows feature sex for nerds. I still remember the curry/shit eating gag from the first OVA. :lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
mAcOdIn said:
It's more disappointing than outrageous. Look, entertainment is something we have to choose from not that we create ourselves so nothing is exactly as one wants. So when you find a show that looks like one thing and you get excited and then later realize it's only going to be marginally different than the rest you're disappointed. I doubt people here actually get outraged, anyone alive longer than 10 years has been disappointed in how something's played out at some point and should have some tolerance to it but there's no reason not to be disappointed when something fails to live up to your expectations.
Well it isn't like it went of its rails here. I guess I can kinda see it, but to me it was just some one off silliness tied to the circumstances of the failure of a writer doing some smut to pay for the bills revealed by Ohana's careless cleaning of the wave room.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
InfiniteNine said:
Well it isn't like it went of its rails here. I guess I can kinda see it, but to me it was just some one off silliness tied to the circumstances of the failure of a writer doing some smut to pay for the bills revealed by Ohana's careless cleaning of the wave room.
Most people probably had more problems with the nude shower threesome thing than with the bondage gag.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
firehawk12 said:
Most people probably had more problems with the nude shower threesome thing than with the bondage gag.
That was pretty tame as well and purposefully cheesy to show how bad the content in question was. If it really is just about showing a little skin that's even more laughable!

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Oh, I don't think they're arbitrary.

The writer was all like "I'm going want to SHOCK the audience with something crazy at the start. So we'll have these two people talk to the protagonist and because they talk to him for a minute they're his friends and we have to care for them.

Then OH SHIT they're all dead and the walls exploded and stuff is getting fucked up. BAM. Now how can I make it feel like the whole world is against the protagonist, but in subtle way, so that we feel as low as he does? I've got it!"

You know how the rest of the story goes.
Well yeah, it's basically "let me string together all these cool scenes I've seen in other stuff, but all of them are turned up to 11 this time." Then there's just the crazy stuff like a perfectly forged video tape with a completely ludicrous scenario.

I can't help but think of this Simpsons moment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvwnwBbX70k

firehawk12

Subete no aware
InfiniteNine said:
That was pretty tame as well and purposefully cheesy to show how bad the content in question was. If it really is just about showing a little skin that's even more laughable!
I think people are a little put off by the random service in their otherwise family friendly/serious show.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
firehawk12 said:
I think people are a little put off by the random service in their otherwise family friendly/serious show.
I really thought people would have more of a spine here. Oh well, can't take a bit of silly "sexual" humor then fine. I thought it was an enjoyable episode throughout even with the little peaks into the writer's delusions. Time for sleep! Goodnight~!

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
Right. You get tits, ass, nose bleeds, panties and whatnot in virtually EVERYTHING else is it too much to ask for a few things to just not have it?

That said, I don't even know what I'm arguing against as I haven't seen episode 3 yet. But I'll argue against ANYTHING.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
InfiniteNine said:
I really thought people would have more of a spine here. Oh well, can't take a bit of silly "sexual" humor then fine. I thought it was an enjoyable episode throughout even with the little peaks into the writer's delusions. Time for sleep! Goodnight~!
Funny thing is, I'm playing devil's advocate here. :lol

mAcOdIn said:
Right. You get tits, ass, nose bleeds, panties and whatnot in virtually EVERYTHING else is it too much to ask for a few things to just not have it?

That said, I don't even know what I'm arguing against as I haven't seen episode 3 yet. But I'll argue against ANYTHING.
You always have Aria!

Solune

Dresden said:
Should've been 'Spring 2011 Anime Thread of it's all nerdy shit anyways, fuck anime, go play ping-pong'.
Hanasaku Iroha |OT| New anime series that went to shit because of minor "fanservice"

Dresden

Geneijin said:
And before we know it, we'll be comparing which series had the least fanservice between AnoHana and HanaIro.
It's not really a contest. HanaIro had a little fantasy-moment going on, whereas in AnoHana a young man lost his virginity. Dude is used goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom