• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
Nonoriri said:
I always watch the OP (unless it's absolutely terrible and since animu music is never very good it helps if the OP is nice looking but that ultimately doesn't matter) it puts me in the mood for watching a show, plus nothing is ever really important or interesting enough to warrant skipping it in the first place. ED's I usually leave on in the background while I do something else.

Ill watch it at least once
depending on how awesome it is ill see it more than once

Jex

Dresden said:
Episode two was good. Lol.
Telling it like it is!
Branduil said:
Well that's always going to be a YMMV thing. I'll just say that every aspect of the movie except the martial arts was unbelievably amateurish. The writing and acting was painful. And even the martial arts scenes went on way too long.

And then there's this scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CuGbxYXmm8
Ugh. It's only good if the people making the film think they're making a serious film, like in Riki-Oh.
mAcOdIn said:
Lol, there's more detail and work put into that ending than most of this season's shows' main features combined.
Well, to be fair, it was the late 80's/early 90's and that particular OP looks way better than the other City Hunter OP's, but still.

Geneijin

Nichijou - 3
I always felt like that when raising my hand in high school. Teachers can be such predators... Other than that, most of this episode didn't worked for me. Nichijou needs more Mio-chan jokes. The Yukko-focused jokes aren't doing it for me.

Dog Days - 3
Of course he doesn't know anything. He's the Hero. Not like he should be responsible for his kidnapping and contracts should never exist. Also, war is awesome. Bring on the sneaky cat thieves.

Sengoku Otome - 3
You know at first I thought Hideyoshi was really annoying but that isn't the case. I finally realize Nobunaga is weighing this down for me because of how straight-minded she is.

Lain

Hanasaku Iroha 3
Nice episode, but I still dislike the grandma. Ohana is really a weird kid, helping the novelist with the bondage and the final comment in regard to Minchi.

duckroll

X TV

It's been 10 years since this series first aired, and I recently got an urge to watch it again. I have the complete original first press set from Geneon - all 8 volumes in slipcases in the art box, and I'm pretty impressed with the packaging even today. So on a whim I decided to watch the first two volumes, covering episode 0 to episode 6.

I should probably add that this TV series is to date the only TV series anime which Kawajiri has directed, and honestly I doubt that he will ever direct another TV series himself. Another notable staff member is Naoki Sato, the composer of Eureka Seven, Sword of the Stranger, and a bunch of popular Japanese movies. In fact, it is extra notable because this TV series is his first ever gig as a composer for a series or movie.

So how does it hold up? I'm actually pretty damn impressed. The direction is really solid, and the pace is really well executed. This is the sort of adaptation I really don't mind watching, because it doesn't just capture the content of the source material, but rather transforms it into a really entertaining visual form.

Out of the first 7 episodes (including the preview episode 0), the one that stood out the most would be episode 6. The Sorata-centric episode totally takes advantage of the TV series format to produce an episode that totally enhances the narrative. Instead of adapting the material in a straight linear manner, it makes use of flashbacks and current events to tailor an episode around developing a single character. Using both original content and remixed content from the manga, it ends up being an episode which is totally unique to the anime version, and totally enjoyable to audiences who have read the original, as well as those who are new to the story. Great stuff.

So yeah, tldr: Kawajiri is a great director and it's too bad he hasn't made anything that interesting in years. I plan on watching another two volumes of this tomorrow. Mmmm...

duckroll

7Th said:
Rintaro's X movie is the by far the best part of the X franchise.

You really think so? I think it's honestly a piece of shit. Both as a movie, and as an anime movie "showpiece". It's pretty crappy, and not really notable. The Double X music video on the other hand....

Jex

Ideon IDEEEOOON DOD-DOO 2

Stuffs flying around and blowing up and people are attacking other people for no reason! Sweet.

Cosmo is a dick. Sweet.

Annoying kids. Sweet.

Oh and there's a giant robot whose only power is invulnerability (okay, that's a pretty cool power, but guns would be helpful). Also, it defeats planes by punching them? How fast are it's arms moving, or how slow are those planes? It seems kind of unlikely that you could punch a jet fighter.

qcf x2

duckroll said:

One of my all time favorite series. Short but sweet, and I enjoyed every character except the sickly dreamer guy. Also has probably my favorite OST ever. Oh, and the movie is horrible.

duckroll said:
X TV

It's been 10 years since this series first aired, and I recently got an urge to watch it again. I have the complete original first press set from Geneon - all 8 volumes in slipcases in the art box, and I'm pretty impressed with the packaging even today. So on a whim I decided to watch the first two volumes, covering episode 0 to episode 6.

I should probably add that this TV series is to date the only TV series anime which Kawajiri has directed, and honestly I doubt that he will ever direct another TV series himself. Another notable staff member is Naoki Sato, the composer of Eureka Seven, Sword of the Stranger, and a bunch of popular Japanese movies. In fact, it is extra notable because this TV series is his first ever gig as a composer for a series or movie.

So how does it hold up? I'm actually pretty damn impressed. The direction is really solid, and the pace is really well executed. This is the sort of adaptation I really don't mind watching, because it doesn't just capture the content of the source material, but rather transforms it into a really entertaining visual form.

Out of the first 7 episodes (including the preview episode 0), the one that stood out the most would be episode 6. The Sorata-centric episode totally takes advantage of the TV series format to produce an episode that totally enhances the narrative. Instead of adapting the material in a straight linear manner, it makes use of flashbacks and current events to tailor an episode around developing a single character. Using both original content and remixed content from the manga, it ends up being an episode which is totally unique to the anime version, and totally enjoyable to audiences who have read the original, as well as those who are new to the story. Great stuff.

So yeah, tldr: Kawajiri is a great director and it's too bad he hasn't made anything that interesting in years. I plan on watching another two volumes of this tomorrow. Mmmm...

Is it better than the movie?

7Th

duckroll said:
You really think so? I think it's honestly a piece of shit. Both as a movie, and as an anime movie "showpiece". It's pretty crappy, and not really notable. The Double X music video on the other hand....

To be fair, I watched it years ago... but I have fond memories of it. It was melodramatic, well-animated and fun.

You're right, however, by saying that the music video is probably better.

duckroll

7Th said:
To be fair, I watched it years ago... but I have fond memories of it. It was melodramatic, well-animated and fun.

You're right, however, by saying that the music video is probably better.

I'm not a big fan of Rintaro's style at all, so his idea of "melodrama" doesn't really work for me. Plus, I'm a huge CLAMP fan, and the movie takes a big huge dump on all the characters and narrative of X in favor of "let's give every character a 2 minute fight where we introduce them and kill them off at the same time" storytelling! Awful!

Double X though, is a fucking masterpiece. One of my favorite pieces of short animation ever. It helps that the song is fantastic, and the scenes animated throughout the video are taken action scenes straight out of the manga panels but animated with amazing flair and detail.

Joule

Lucentto said:
So what's the DL on Dog Days? Good?
It's not bad. Seems like it'll be a light hearted fun show. Episode 1 was mostly intro and set up, 2 was mostly all action and 3 is another slow break in action/set up episode. 4 hopefully involves tons of action again as the main character's 'rival' has been introduced.

While it's not the most amazing show it's fun for me. Give the first 2 episodes a shot and you'll know if you like it or not.

Am I the only one enjoying the show?

NewFresh

Joule said:
It's not bad. Seems like it'll be a light hearted fun show. Episode 1 was mostly intro and set up, 2 was mostly all action and 3 is another slow break in action/set up episode. 4 hopefully involves tons of action again as the main character's 'rival' has been introduced.

While it's not the most amazing show it's fun for me. Give the first 2 episodes a shot and you'll know if you like it or not.

Am I the only one enjoying the show?
I know there are a few watching it. I watched the first episode and it just was not my cup of tea.

Dresden

I enjoyed the second episode at least. Hearing about the fanservice in ep. 3 (along with the stuff at the end of the second episode) kinda killed my interest, though.

Joule

Taking a change of pace, I started watching Giant Robo. Now these Big Fire guys are some first class villains. Particularly Alberto. I can see how he left a mark in other media. The animation and action is so boss. Looking forward to watching more.

Ezalc

I think I've said this before but, Seikon Qwaser has an interesting premise if you take out all the fanservice. People control a certain element from the periodic table, and fight it out. It would be really interesting to see if it was just about that. Not that there's anything wrong with boobs it's just that sometimes harem anime actually have an interesting part to it that the whole harem thing ruins what could have been great.

Jex

Joule said:
Taking a change of pace, I started watching Giant Robo. Now these Big Fire guys are some first class villains. Particularly Alberto. I can see how he left a mark in other media. The animation and action is so boss. Looking forward to watching more.
You've made a wise choice.

Ezalc said:
I think I've said this before but, Seikon Qwaser has an interesting premise if you take out all the fanservice. People control a certain element from the periodic table, and fight it out. It would be really interesting to see if it was just about that. Not that there's anything wrong with boobs it's just that sometimes harem anime actually have an interesting part to it that the whole harem thing ruins what could have been great.
You should check out the manga if you're interested in it without the extreme fanservice. I'm pretty sure the anime upped the ecchi quite a bit because studios want to make sure adaptions suck as much as possible.

Ezalc said:

I wish they would explore it more, kind of reminds me of one point in the first season where they had the chlorine and another element fighting and the reaction changed the chemical properties leading to a win. I wonder if in this second season they will get more elaborate with qwaser element choices, or even get alloys and etc.

Ezalc said:

Hmmm, that does sound interesting. I only watched the first episode a while ago, but maybe I should watch more/check out the manga. Also sounds like something I could add to the battle thread.

Ezalc said:

I agree as well from reading the manga beforehand. The concept of using elements from the periodic elements is very intriguing.

@ bold: Its not really the harem persay but its more of the whole Soma/Breastmilk thing that pushes it over the top and how intertwined that particular theme is to the show.

Doesn't stop me from watching it though ;p

Jex

Anime seasons are filled wall to wall with "shows that had an interesting idea, somewhere". Ideas are cheap, execution is hard.

Lain

I really liked the first episode of Denpa Onna. The aunt was great, the jokes mostly funny (I really liked the shin-chan citation), the cousinfuton with legs awesome when kicking the protagonist, getting thrown into the door, going to get the pizza and eating it, and Makoto behavior was interesting enough, questioning on the inside, but somewhat accepting/uninterested on the outside.
Also, as a feet fetishist, it was cool, and the OP sounds better than Iroha!

Lain

Dresden said:
Iroha's OP might sound like it was sung by Chiaki Omigawa, but it's not Denpa-bad.
My ears bleed when listening to Iroha, but Denpa is just chipmunk vocals that don't give me a headache.

mAcOdIn

Lain said:
I really liked the first episode of Denpa Onna. The aunt was great, the jokes mostly funny (I really liked the shin-chan citation), the cousinfuton with legs awesome when kicking the protagonist, getting thrown into the door, going to get the pizza and eating it, and Makoto behavior was interesting enough, questioning on the inside, but somewhat accepting/uninterested on the outside.
Finally caught this, I'll watch more, then again I'm secretly a Shaft whore and watch everything they do.

Solune

Lain said:
That's not very hard to accomplish, at all.

The first episode was mildly interesting and pretty amusing though, will watch the next episode. The pizza eating was hilarious.

Galang

Banned
Geneijin said:
You could always start with this season and try them out:

X-men
Tiger & Bunny
Hanasaku Iroha
|C| - Control: The Money and Soul of Possibility
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai

Sequels I haven't watched yet and their respective first seasons but heard good things about:

Kaiji 2
Gintama

I'll let others chime in about the rest like Steins Gate since I haven't watched it.

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely check them out! :)

Jex

Toward The Terra 15

Man, this episode was packed, PACKED I SAY. The first half alone had more story threads and drama then you might find in five normal anime episodes.

Then again, this show covers a lot of plot in a relatively short amount of time, so they have to move fast.

Berserk 12

Guts kills a lot of dudes. That's the whole episode. Pretty odd, when people say stuff like "this is totally toned down. graphically speaking, from the vastly superior manga!".

Jex

Salazar said:
Is that in the forest clearing, when he just stands there and cuts down one motherfucker after another ?
Yes indeed, although occasionally he might hit two at once with his oversized weapon.

It isn't even over by the end of the episode!

Joule

Giant Robo 2: The day the world stood still indeed. Nuclear Power?! Alberto's car is one boss car. I did not think it would also be a submarine and part of a mecha. Alberto is just a boss in general. The action remains just as good although not as much of it as the first episode. Daisaku's suit + short shorts clashes so badly but I guess because he's a kid they have him wear shorts. :< Whereas the villains are decked out in dandy suits.

Jex

Steins;Gate 3

I wish someone other than White Fox were making this, perhaps they'd have some better notions about story pacing. Nevertheless you can't kill an interesting story with good characters quite so easily. Especially the hacked but especially the doctor himself.

So, it's basically like those other episodes, but without the awkward editing of the first or the meandering of the second. So that's good? Kind of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom