• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
mAcOdIn said:
It really is ridiculous. I don't know what some of these studios do with their releases sometimes as I see no reason why the DVD release should look worse than the SD broadcast. The DVD exceeds the old TV spec and can match the 480p SD broadcasts so I don't get why they sometimes look so much worse.
Well it's a funnymation DVD isn't it? 6 episodes per disc doesn't lead to nice results on DVD.

Aigis said:
It seems pretty nice to me, even excluding the prettiness. I like it.

And Baccano is an upscale for anyone who cares, but the upgrade is... huge. Check out #4 in particular.

01 R1DVD | BD
02 R1DVD | BD
03 R1DVD | BD
04 R1DVD | BD
05 R1DVD | BD
06 R1DVD | BD
07 R1DVD | BD
08 R1DVD | BD
09 R1DVD | BD
10 R1DVD | BD

Upscaling done right.

Wow thats so good, definitely on my list to get at some point in time! As long as no one does Blu Ray like Funi did with FLCL (...black bars, no full screen widescreen).

Risette

A Good Citizen
Dedication Through Light said:
Wow thats so good, definitely on my list to get at some point in time! As long as no one does Blu Ray like Funi did with FLCL (...black bars, no full screen widescreen).
FLCL is a series produced in 4:3, it will have black bars forever.

What's with the dislike for black bars in this thread? >:| It's how it was made, deal with it! (or zoom in with your TV and ruin the framing of every scene and shot in the series) Same with grain haters (if there are any here), that's how it looks on film guys, deal with it or jack up the denoising setting on your TV and destroy tons of detail in the process.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aigis said:
FLCL is a series produced in 4:3, it will have black bars forever.

What's with the dislike for black bars in this thread? >:| It's how it was made, deal with it! (or zoom in with your TV and ruin the framing of every scene and shot in the series) Same with grain haters (if there are any here), that's how it looks on film guys, deal with it or jack up the denoising setting on your TV and destroy tons of detail in the process.
Is this the HBO bitching thread from yesterday? :lol
That said, OAR is the only way to watch something.

trejo

jman2050 said:
>Thinks he's ever going to get a girl, much less a kid.
foreveralone.jpg

icarus-daedelus said:
lol, I'm not going to plunk lots of money down for it or anything but if it looked nice I could see buying it for...I dunno...$20 is probably my limit as a visual whore for one movie I'm not terribly fond of. (I have done this in the past, it's really sad, because good-looking movies I don't love just end up being occasional pretty wallpaper for my television. Sigh. What's wrong with me.)
I know the feeling. I've got the Advent Children and Spirits Within BDs on my shelf and I could not honestly tell you why.

And they're not even that good-looking.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think TWGOK has finally gotten to just a really weird point for me. The lack of emotion in the main character for such an extended period of time is making him out to be the definition of a sociopath.

mAcOdIn

Aigis said:
Well it's a funnymation DVD isn't it? 6 episodes per disc doesn't lead to nice results on DVD.
That's sort of my point, it's not because it's DVD that some anime DVDs look bad but because the company makes certain decisions while producing the Bluray, whether that be placing 6 episodes a disc, adding too many audio tracks, packing it with silly bonus features or whatever but that doesn't mean that DVD is incapable of looking great just that companies have priorities that aren't aligned with providing the best audio and visual experience but more-so cost and bullet point feature lists. On the other hand, of course it will be 720x480 and 29.97 fps so there's a limit to how good it can look but some studios look to try and see just how bad they can make it look. So I find it particularly painful when I think about how something looks worse than the TV broadcast from that era, I find it inexcusable but lets not pretend that it's just Funimation that fucks up their releases like this, they all do it.
firehawk12 said:
It's true though, don't deny it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh yeah, and the original aspect ratio is the best!

Geneijin

Hitokage said:
Your argument is not best served by citing an exception to the rule.
My comments weren't intended as an argument. It was a snarl (for lack of a better word) against the moe = loli generalization, which was still as vapid as it was in the last moe/loli thread. That annoys me more than the "everything is moe crap now" because the two statements are often used in tandem, and it sounds even more crude and ignorant.

Regarding the Broken Blade example, you're right. Although I meant to say something else, but it reads as how you read it. I won't go into what I actually meant though.

7Th

I personally don't dislike the concept of fanservice, I just dislike that most fanservice is terribly drawn and bad art isn't "attractive" or sexy at all.

Galang

Banned
I admit I haven't really been keeping up with anime the past three years, and I know sequels are nothing new... but all of a sudden even the shows I even remotely liked seem to be getting remakes and sequels. Most of them are popular, so maybe it's silly to think they wouldn't of gotten one eventually... but I just found out Last exile is getting a sequel and I'm still shocked. I suppose this is a good time to jump back into anime, even though I have no idea where to start. It's probably my favorite anime, and I don't think even a bad sequel would ruin my love for the series (worth it for range murata alone). Between this, brotherhood, kenshin, rebuild of evangelion and berserk (even though it'll take ages) I am definitely feeling happy with this trend so far...

Thought for a second Scryed was getting completely remade as well, kinda disappointed it's just being remastered. I wouldn't expect TOO much from the remastered version + additional footage. I remember being hyped for their remastered edition of Mai HiME + new footage and being disappointed (one pointless two minute extra scene). Good for fans though, better than nothing and nice to see some lesser popular series get attention. Too bad Bandai has never brought many of these remasters over to my knowledge...

Branduil

Deadman Wonderland 1

An absurdist masterpiece. By cleverly subverting our expectations of a story with causal believability, the viewer is forced to examine the nonsensical nature of our own universe. After all, stories where events always proceed in a logical manner are the true unbelievable ones. We live in a crazy world, and Deadman Wonderland recognizes and exploits that truth by hyperbolizing and contextualizing our inexplicable reality. By presenting a world where things like school field trips to prison amusement parks exist, the viewer is encouraged to ponder the bread and circuses of our own, "civilized" age.

The scene where the main character "confesses" to his crime is a prime example of the anime's genius. It is truly an unbelievable scene, but when you think about, is it really that unusual? In the aftermath of a tragedy, people become desperate for a scapegoat, and the sacrificial lamb must be bled.

When Ganta plaintively cries "this can't be happening!", he truly speaks for all of us. How else can we respond to the mad terror of this world? As the female captain of the guards said, "life can be crazy sometimes. There's no escaping reality." Keen insight, Makina. Keen, piercing insight.

Indeed, just look at the pivotal event in the opening. A flying figure from nowhere, inexplicably slaughtering a class of high school students. This scene represents the incomprehensible randomness of tragedy. It is foolhardy to try to understand why things happen, or assign blame for the tangled causality of our universe.

Why is an albino girl in a bizarrely-patterned jumpsuit suddenly trying to kill Ganta? Why suddenly insert a scene with a prisoner holding someone hostage and then a revelation of the effects of candy in such an inappropriate place in the episode? The point is, it doesn't matter. Just as one cannot perceive the sound of one-hand-clapping, the actions of any given person cannot be truly understood, even yourself. We are all but puppets of the quantum fluctuations of the microverse.

Branduil said:
Deadman Wonderland 1

An absurdist masterpiece. By cleverly subverting our expectations of a story with causal believability, the viewer is forced to examine the nonsensical nature of our own universe. After all, stories where events always proceed in a logical manner are the true unbelievable ones. We live in a crazy world, and Deadman Wonderland recognizes and exploits that truth by hyperbolizing and contextualizing our inexplicable reality. By presenting a world where things like school field trips to prison amusement parks exist, the viewer is encouraged to ponder the bread and circuses of our own, "civilized" age.

The scene where the main character "confesses" to his crime is a prime example of the anime's genius. It is truly an unbelievable scene, but when you think about, is it really that unusual? In the aftermath of a tragedy, people become desperate for a scapegoat, and the sacrificial lamb must be bled.

When Ganta plaintively cries "this can't be happening!", he truly speaks for all of us. How else can we respond to the mad terror of this world? As the female captain of the guards said, "life can be crazy sometimes. There's no escaping reality." Keen insight, Makina. Keen, piercing insight.

Indeed, just look at the pivotal event in the opening. A flying figure from nowhere, inexplicably slaughtering a class of high school students. This scene represents the incomprehensible randomness of tragedy. It is foolhardy to try to understand why things happen, or assign blame for the tangled causality of our universe.

Why is an albino girl in a bizarrely-patterned jumpsuit suddenly trying to kill Ganta? Why suddenly insert a scene with a prisoner holding someone hostage and then a revelation of the effects of candy in such an inappropriate place in the episode? The point is, it doesn't matter. Just as one cannot perceive the sound of one-hand-clapping, the actions of any given person cannot be truly understood, even yourself. We are all but puppets of the quantum fluctuations of the microverse.

Truly Deadman Wonderland is the Kafka of our age.

Lain

firehawk12 said:
Is this the HBO bitching thread from yesterday? :lol
That said, OAR is the only way to watch something.
Fuck yeah! Pisses me off to no end when the original aspect ratio of stuff gets messed with for silly reason like removing black bars.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
It's definitely good wallpaper material, though I think somehow knowing that I have five different versions of a movie on blu-ray gives me some kind of weird comfort. It's not one of my favorites, but certainly worth the purchase price.
What is it with people not liking Blade Runner? :lol

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
InfiniteNine said:
I've been meaning to get it forever but I always forget! Thanks for the reminder.
She's back! Did you bring her back now that avatar quoting is a bit harder? :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Trojita said:
She's back! Did you bring her back now that avatar quoting is a bit harder? :lol
dcII6.png

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
7Th said:
I personally don't dislike the concept of fanservice, I just dislike that most fanservice is terribly drawn and bad art isn't "attractive" or sexy at all.
I generally don't have much problems with fanservice, as long as it's executed well, if it's done poorly it can be either awkward or annoying.

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
What is it with people not liking Blade Runner? :lol
Lol, who said they didn't "like" it? It's one of my favorite movies it's just boring. Maybe Icarus doesn't like it but it's unfair to infer that from "not one of her favorites."
icarus-daedelus said:
I don't think anyone actually dislikes black bars in the thread save for Dedication Through Light, and he's allegedly a joke poster. :p Reminds me of The Jungle Book dvd they put out that crops it from 1.37:1 to 1.78:1, resulting in significant loss of the top and bottom of the picture. Like, they chop off the tops of the characters' heads in some scenes. What the hell, man.
I wish you were right but you're not! There are tons of people who hate the black bars. I used to sell TVs and I was so happy when Widescreen TVs finally started coming out and yet all most people did was complain about the black bars now being on the side! Argh! Some people are just fucking stupid, when you have two common(I'm lumping the various widescreen formats together) aspect ratios one being a square and the other a rectangle it's physically impossible to design a TV that will display both of them without any bars, without shrinking or without cutting shit off. Impossible, yet I'd have morons constantly asking me when such a TV would come out. Never idiots! Just fucking zoom in if you hate it that much. Fuck.
icarus-daedelus said:
Yeah, what can I say. I usually make sure to enjoy the things I buy, which works out because I do tend to like movies with fabulous visuals over movies with real plots and characters and stuff. :p
So long as you know what you like.
icarus-daedelus said:
It's definitely good wallpaper material, though I think somehow knowing that I have five different versions of a movie on blu-ray gives me some kind of weird comfort. It's not one of my favorites, but certainly worth the purchase price.
Yeah, I felt like a true collector having 5 versions of the movie, better than scrubs who only have the directors cut or the original with the narration on VHS, losers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mAcOdIn said:
Lol, who said they didn't "like" it? It's one of my favorite movies it's just boring. Maybe Icarus doesn't like it but it's unfair to infer that from "not one of her favorites."
Generally being a favourite movie and being boring are somewhat contradictory, I suppose.

trejo

X-men 3

Why do they keep coming up with ways to nerf Storm's powers?

Tiger & Bunny 3

Brotetsu and Bronaby's budding bromance is really fun to watch.

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
Generally being a favourite movie and being boring are somewhat contradictory, I suppose.
There's different reasons to watch a movie, some thought provoking, some are emotional, some funny and some exciting but not all of them are equally entertaining. Blade Runner is awe inspiring, both visually and aurally, it's atmosphere is still unrivaled, the story is thought provoking and relevant even now and it's boring. Everyone should see the movie as it's a great movie, it will inspire you, awe you, make you think about humanity but it's boring.

Lets be honest, how soon after viewing it can you watch it again? How soon? A week? A month? A year? Longer? Take another favorite of mine, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I can watch that movie almost once a week, same with Big Trouble in Little China, but would I say they're better movies than Blade Runner? No. Would I say they're more entertaining? Oh yeah. Chick, chikitika, bom, bom, oh yeah.
icarus-daedelus said:
I don't mean in general, I just mean on this board. Obviously the real world is filled with such misguided folks, but I expect neoGAF to have slightly better standards as videophiles than the slobbering philistines trawling the aisles of Best Buy. OAR 4 lyfe.
Lol, I imagine so long as the breasts aren't cropped out they're fine with any OAR!

Kidding guys, I love you all the same.

NewFresh

icarus-daedelus said:
I don't mean in general, I just mean on this board. Obviously the real world is filled with such misguided folks, but I expect neoGAF to have slightly better standards as videophiles than the slobbering philistines trawling the aisles of Best Buy. OAR 4 lyfe.
If i have to explain aspect ratio to another customer I will go insane.
But it come down to preference, there is a way of viewing that people are accustomed to and if they want to stretch out FLCL so that it looks widescreen and bad then they can.

Uchip

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:

debatable
the "slobbering philistines" wouldnt be watching perverted junk
but they also wouldnt care for lesser known gems

Geneijin

Galang said:
I admit I haven't really been keeping up with anime the past three years, and I know sequels are nothing new... but all of a sudden even the shows I even remotely liked seem to be getting remakes and sequels. Most of them are popular, so maybe it's silly to think they wouldn't of gotten one eventually... but I just found out Last exile is getting a sequel and I'm still shocked. I suppose this is a good time to jump back into anime, even though I have no idea where to start. It's probably my favorite anime, and I don't think even a bad sequel would ruin my love for the series (worth it for range murata alone). Between this, brotherhood, kenshin, rebuild of evangelion and berserk (even though it'll take ages) I am definitely feeling happy with this trend so far...
You could always start with this season and try them out:

X-men
Tiger & Bunny
Hanasaku Iroha
|C| - Control: The Money and Soul of Possibility
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai

Sequels I haven't watched yet and their respective first seasons but heard good things about:

Kaiji 2
Gintama

I'll let others chime in about the rest like Steins Gate since I haven't watched it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
I'm not honestly seeing anywhere I said I didn't like Blade Runner.

Obviously it's no Dune the movie but not everyone can be the Kwisatz Haderach.
:p
Troll! :(

mAcOdIn said:
There's different reasons to watch a movie, some thought provoking, some are emotional, some funny and some exciting but not all of them are equally entertaining. Blade Runner is awe inspiring, both visually and aurally, it's atmosphere is still unrivaled, the story is thought provoking and relevant even now and it's boring. Everyone should see the movie as it's a great movie, it will inspire you, awe you, make you think about humanity but it's boring.

Lets be honest, how soon after viewing it can you watch it again? How soon? A week? A month? A year? Longer? Take another favorite of mine, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I can watch that movie almost once a week, same with Big Trouble in Little China, but would I say they're better movies than Blade Runner? No. Would I say they're more entertaining? Oh yeah. Chick, chikitika, bom, bom, oh yeah.
Lol, I imagine so long as the breasts aren't cropped out they're fine with any OAR!

Kidding guys, I love you all the same.
I've watched pretty much everything on that 5 disc set twice, so... yeah, I still get a lot out of that movie. :lol
In fact, I've probably watched it more often than the Star Wars and Star Trek films now that I think about it...

InfiniteNine said:
Original Aspect Ratio represent!
Who is keeping track of the team lineup for this one? :lol

Branduil

Yozakura Quartet: Sea of Stars 02

Well that was certainly well-animated, although the plot and motivations are pretty cryptic without being familiar with the source material.

mAcOdIn

trejo said:
You are, you philistine.

It's ok to think Blade Runner is boring but to go ahead and make it known? What nerve!
Oh I'm sure it's no secret, anyone who's seen it more than once should know.
firehawk12 said:
I've watched pretty much everything on that 5 disc set twice, so... yeah, I still get a lot out of that movie. :lol
That's a different concept, the set is a FANTASTIC value, I never said otherwise. Although watching everyone on there twice makes you a little strange but I'm not the kind of man that cares about commentaries and behind the scenes stuff, in fact I haven't watched anything besides the various movie cuts from the set. I dunno what other extras are even on there!
firehawk12 said:
In fact, I've probably watched it more often than the Star Wars and Star Trek films now that I think about it...
Well now I'm confused as this should go without saying, the Star Trek movies by and large are utter crap, Star Wars is half crap half decent and hard to watch the way one wants anyhow and then you have Blade Runner. I'd hope someone with a DVD player, Blade Runner, all the Star Wars movies and all the Star Trek movies has watched Blade Runner the most. CGI Jabba the Hut, no thanks? Han shoots second? Not on my fucking television he doesn't.
Hellsing321 said:
Pan and Scan 4 lyfe fools!

Oh god I'm only kidding. Please don't kill me!
Right on! We need a vertical Pan and Scan now!

I'm also kidding!

Geneijin said:
You could always start with this season and try them out:

X-men
Tiger & Bunny
Hanasaku Iroha
|C| - Control: The Money and Soul of Possibility
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai

Sequels I haven't watched yet and their respective first seasons but heard good things about:

Kaiji 2
Gintama

I'll let others chime in about the rest like Steins Gate since I haven't watched it.
Theres a really big variety in shows that are at the very least decent or that look promising this season, I would add to your list
Sket Dance
Ao No Excorcist
Dororon Enma-kun
Yondemasu yo Azazel-san
Toriko

Dresden

Dance In My Blood said:
I think TWGOK has finally gotten to just a really weird point for me. The lack of emotion in the main character for such an extended period of time is making him out to be the definition of a sociopath.

Well, he does blush now and then. Lulz.

But Keima is weird, and not in a positive way. He's an antisocial nerd and the arcs help him get out of the shell as much as he helps the heroines deal with whatever troubles they have.

Uchip

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
The "slobbering philistines" bit was a joke, and you're confusing one set of standards (picture quality) for an entirely different type of standard (tolerance level for perversion).

tolerance level for perversion is totally complimentary to anime

mAcOdIn

EmmanuelMunoz said:
I remember watching Blade runner in Pan and Scan
I would later go on to see the errors of my ways
But think how epic a smart vertical pan and scan would be for fullscreen content, always starting at a girl's feet and panning up........

icarus-daedelus said:
I guess I should note that I'm not inherently opposed to the presence of sexuality or nudity, just the use of those things for titillation - "fanservice" - in something that exists for purposes other than that (so pornography and ecchi and what have you get obvious exceptions.) There are degrees of tastelessness, of course, depending on the situation; there's more of this in ten seconds of Ikki Tousen than episode 3 of HanaIro, but I don't expect it or want it effecting my coming of age animus whereas skimpy-dressed girls whacking each other's clothing off without injuring each other (a fine skill, to be sure) is like a whole sub genre that I can knowingly avoid. It's especially hard to watch a coming of age show where I'm supposed to identify with these characters, teenage girls, who are being sexualized in such a casual and off-putting manner by the creators for presumably an older male audience. That's, like, no. I can't handle that at all, no matter how innocently they might play it off. Maybe it's too touchy for me, personally, but I really don't think it's necessary or adds anything, and certainly in my personal case it detracted from the experience.

Not a girl, but I'm with you. If I want "fanservice", I have porn for that, porn that is neither animated nor about supposedly innocent teenage girls, I just dont want this shit cheapening an otherwise solid coming of age story.

Meanwhile, it's basically the only show that I've found promising this season (despite all the wanking in this thread, nothing has caught me, especially like last seasons Wandering Son), so I'm particularly disappointed in this direction. Hopefully it's just a one off.

Geneijin

The Storyteller said:
Meanwhile, it's basically the only show that I've found promising this season (despite all the wanking in this thread, nothing has caught me, especially like last seasons Wandering Son), so I'm particularly disappointed in this direction. Hopefully it's just a one off.
Have you seen AnoHana yet?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dresden said:
Well, he does blush now and then. Lulz.
Then we have to ask the question if he's blushing because of how he feels or because it's a way to manipulate girls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom