• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steins Gate 3
A bit of an improvement over the previous episodes but still quite drawn out and dry. Seems like in most cases they find the least interesting way to go about getting the story to progress and the characters are still generally quite annoying.

Lain

Dresden said:
Lain, you have a problem.

Going cold turkey is the only way to save yourself.
7Th said:
You need professional help.
You guys are mean. The day Rie will be in every single show is the day you'll come around and see the light (and quit anime)!

Battle Girls 3 wasn't as funny as the first two episodes, but still had some entertaining moments. Too bad that for a fanservice show, it's getting progressively uglier. Eye-candy show without eye-candy looks is sort of useless.

Shouta

Lafiel said:
This wouldn't excite me considering it's by the angel beats director, but it's by BRAIN BASE! so I'll haft to give it a look.

The manga for Kamisama dolls isn't shabby, amusing enough, ok story and the action is decent.

trejo

Blue Exorcist 1

Oh you silly twins. Even though you are twins you are so different! You, the younger one, even though you are younger you overshadow your older brother in every way for, as you know, you are an athletic genius with amazing grades not to mention you were easily accepted into some prestigious-sounding school! On the other hand, the older one, you are a rebel who causes nothing but trouble! Why cannot you share some of your sibling's virtues? For he is perfect, as has been established just now.

A minute later...

"Older brother, please hold still as I treat your wounds."

"Ah, that is because it is your dream to become a doctor, is it not? Good thing I pointed that out just now so we're all in the same page here."

"Speaking of pointing things out, older brother, allow me to point out once again that you are a rebel who gets into fights everyday and that you seem incapable of holding down a job. That is a cause of concern for us, your family, as you know."

"I am aware of the things you say, younger brother, and I know that it is time for me to grow up and mature but as this scene of random violence against little animals is showing us, I am incapable of not standing up for those who are in need of my help."

"That is because of God, somehow."

This show could be fun.

trejo said:
Blue Exorcist 1

Oh you silly twins. Even though you are twins you are so different! You, the younger one, even though you are younger you overshadow your older brother in every way for, as you know, you are an athletic genius with amazing grades not to mention you were easily accepted into some prestigious-sounding school! On the other hand, the older one, you are a rebel who causes nothing but trouble! Why cannot you share some of your sibling's virtues? For he is perfect, as has been established just now.

A minute later...

"Older brother, please hold still as I treat your wounds."

"Ah, that is because it is your dream to become a doctor, is it not? Good thing I pointed that out just now so we're all in the same page here."

"Speaking of pointing things out, older brother, allow me to point out once again that you are a rebel who gets into fights everyday and that you seem incapable of holding down a job. That is a cause of concern for us, your family, as you know."

"I am aware of the things you say, younger brother, and I know that it is time for me to grow up and mature but as this scene of random violence against little animals is showing us, I am incapable of not standing up for those who are in need of my help."

"That is because of God, somehow."

This show could be fun.

This made me laugh pretty good, it is all laid on pretty thick id have to agree. This setup was gone over much much quicker in the manga but like I said earlier I prefer how they did it in the anime since it expands their stuation and characters a bit earlier. I didn't think he came off much like a rebel though, more of just being naive and stubborn.

Cwarrior

steins gate ep03

This show is hilarious, the chemistry between the character makes them fun watch, even mayuri which at first glance I thought I would hate, but is pretty imuch a really cute dede like character ,she has good intention but nearly kills everyone with "i think there done".

Am still pissed about them skipping Christina’s lecture

tumblr_ljlrslDj3z1qa8kz9o1_500.jpg

lol Whats this from? theres a manga?

trejo

Oh wait, the dude is fifteen. That is, like, thirty-something in animu years! This old fart really does need to get his shit together. Whoever heard of a fifteen year-old acting like a brash and irresponsible youth?

mAcOdIn

Jexhius said:
Oh and there will be Toriko soon enough. A busy day indeed.

I guess this is a question to the mecha fans in the audience. Now that I've watched:

Gundam Movie Trilogy, Zeta Gundam, 0080 War in the Pocket, 08th MS Team, 0083 Stardust Memory, G Gundam, ∀ Gundam, Gundam 00, Gundam Unicorn, Gunbuster, Diebuster, Giant Robo, Code:Geass, True Mazinger Z, New Getter Robo, Mazinkaiser, Mazinkaiser SKL, The Big O, TTGL, Break Blade, Armor Trooper VOTOMS, Armor Hunter Mellowlink, Patlabor Everything, SDF Macross, Macross: DYRL?, Macross Plus, Evangelion and RahXephon the next play I go is presumably:

Gao Gai Gar if I want to watch a good show? Even if it's only really got a good second half?
That's a wide net for mecha, I say Sky Girls.

Lain

Dog Days 3 was bad. The constant "you really don't know anything!" or something similar felt really annoying, the handling of the cliché situations didn't help at all and the build up for the next episode was simply boring (plus I'm always expecting the hero to bust out "it's a a pinch!").

Jexhius said:
Oh and there will be Toriko soon enough. A busy day indeed.

I guess this is a question to the mecha fans in the audience. Now that I've watched:

Gundam Movie Trilogy, Zeta Gundam, 0080 War in the Pocket, 08th MS Team, 0083 Stardust Memory, G Gundam, ∀ Gundam, Gundam 00, Gundam Unicorn, Gunbuster, Diebuster, Giant Robo, Code:Geass, True Mazinger Z, New Getter Robo, Mazinkaiser, Mazinkaiser SKL, The Big O, TTGL, Break Blade, Armor Trooper VOTOMS, Armor Hunter Mellowlink, Patlabor Everything, SDF Macross, Macross: DYRL?, Macross Plus, Evangelion and RahXephon the next play I go is presumably:

Gao Gai Gar if I want to watch a good show? Even if it's only really got a good second half?

Aura Battler Dunbine and Martian Successor Nadesico are must watch shows, in my opinion. Assuming that you're in favor of good things, anyway.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Is watching SDF Macross before DYRL recommended or is DYRL a suitable replacement?

Also, is the Macross Plus movie better than the OVA? My Macross-loving friend says it is.

Toriko 3

Good episode. The Knocking scene with the group of troll kongs was great as was the rainbow fruit tasting. Can't wait until we get out of the introduction phase and the series gets less episodic. This is going to be a good, long anime.

Solune

Aigis said:
Is watching SDF Macross before DYRL recommended or is DYRL a suitable replacement?

Also, is the Macross Plus movie better than the OVA? My Macross-loving friend says it is.
I would watch SDF Macross before DYRL, although DYRL is a good supplement, you can experience Kaifun's douchebaggery twice!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Thing about SDF macross is it really isn't dated as other 80s mecha shows because it's actually the first mecha television series to have pacing that would be considered good.

Cwarrior

Hen zemi ep1

Just weird something about underwater fart techniques and winged dumplings something my young mind wouldn’t understand
Knee cap and elbow blush, it’s like they turn the blush machine on full power
Art is very off putting,

Articalys

Okay, time to start Serial Experiments Lain. We'll see if I haven't gone all cross-eyed by the end. Also this should give me a chance to see how much I like Yoshitoshi ABe's style.

Dog Days 3
What an exposition episode. Pretty much all exposition, though hopefully that means that'll all be behind us now. I guess at this point, I might as well not even bother taking this show seriously and just enjoy the ride.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Aria the natural 2 - Got in the mood, to finally start this up, so relaxing and breezy. Can't wait to slowly watch this over the next few weeks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lafiel said:
Aria the natural 2 - Got in the mood, to finally start this up, so relaxing and breezy. Can't wait to slowly watch this over the next few weeks.
Woot. I think you and Joule are both watching this now.

Jex

Lafiel said:
Thing about SDF macross is it really isn't dated as other 80s mecha shows because it's actually the first mecha television series to have pacing that would be considered good.
Well we can definitely say that it isn't paced like a Tomino show, at least.
cosmicblizzard said:
The biggest atrocity of the Berserk anime was the exclusion of Puck.
This is one of those joke things, right.
umop_3pisdn said:
I wouldn't say that's the biggest atrocity but it does reflect a lot of the other problems I had with it. ie: It was essentially just a Golden Age vehicle (and so Puck wasn't really needed), but yeah, you then run into some intractable problems if you try to tell any more of the story because he isn't included.
Which is exactly why it's better than the manga as a whole. Perhaps I agree about a few limited points, like Guts childhood (even if it's strongly hinted at) but a range of them boil down to "this isn't exactly how it was in the manga". The people who adapted the anime where more sophisticated storytellers then Miura.

Mainly what we lose is pacing problems and people getting raped/nearly raped all the time in graphic detail.
Aigis said:
You should watch both. One is not a replacement for the other, start with the show.
Aigis said:
No it is not. I assume that the general opinion, at least in all the "It's been X years since Macross Plus came out" pieces of writing support that position as well. It cuts out important parts of the story and character and re-arranges other scenes while adding nothing of note.

Dresden

GaoGaiGar 25:

Skipped about twenty episodes in between. Begins with some random kiddy stuff. The pink haired girl has an extremely annoying voice; nails-on-chalkboard level.

Some fucking kiddy robot saying his farewells. Back to America he goes.
L9BIm.jpg

But oh noes, evil attacks.
CtI02.jpg

Never fear, Mic Sounders the 13th is here! Turns out that the American kiddy robot transforms into this badass guitar-wielding robot.
0J4aX.jpg

Dude rocks so hard he brings unconscious allies back to full condition and destroys evil with the power of rock 'n roll.
YGAJS.jpg

It's your turn, GGG. Hammer time. *cue flamboyant key-activating from non-combatants*
Dbl0A.jpg

38xiH.jpg

OMG TRANSFORM INTO LIGHT
fJfyI.jpg

---

I dunno, it was decent I guess. Will forge on. The little kids annoyed me in the early episodes and they still annoy me here.

Jex

Toriko 3

Toriko sure does like some food. But he doesn't like to kill everything, that's some characterisation.

As if there's anything to really say about such episodes!
Dresden said:
GaoGaiGar 25:
Skipped about twenty episodes in between.
Sounds like the right decision.

Jexhius said:
Which is exactly why it's better than the manga as a whole. Perhaps I agree about a few limited points, like Guts childhood (even if it's strongly hinted at) but a range of them boil down to "this isn't exactly how it was in the manga". The people who adapted the anime where more sophisticated storytellers then Miura.

I don't think so. The Golden Age is just the set up. It's inherently more self-contained because it's told via a flashback, and it's where all the main characters receive their critical development as a set up to the larger plot, but that's what it is, backstory. The Eclipse is an anti-climax if taken as an ending, all that character development is retrospectively made meaningless if the story ends there. Guts is betrayed in such a profound way that words can't even say by the one person that he held in the highest esteem when essentially all he's wanted is for someone to "look at him", Griffith becomes an incomprehensibly evil and alien consciousness devoid of all chance at redemption in a flawed and human wish to escape his humanity... and then what? That isn't an ending, it's more of a beginning, both characters were in a sense 'undeveloped' prior to this one event! It is the singular thing that casts the path they will be following throughout the rest of the story. It's brilliant writing made less brilliant by not exploring these new ongoing themes. The two characters were set up as a kind of perfect foil to each other, and this development (what happens in and after the eclipse) is their key difference in character taken to the ultimate conclusion. It has nothing to do with the manga being better because it's manga, although considering the art in the manga there's some truth to that, too.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dresden said:
GaoGaiGar 25:

Skipped about twenty episodes in between. Begins with some random kiddy stuff. The pink haired girl has an extremely annoying voice; nails-on-chalkboard level.
OMG TRANSFORM INTO LIGHT
fJfyI.jpg

---

I dunno, it was decent I guess. Will forge on. The little kids annoyed me in the early episodes and they still annoy me here.
HIKARE NI NAREEEEEEEEE. Yes pink hair is awful.

Skipping to 25 is fine after you see Volfogg, although you don't really need to even go that far.

scydP.jpg

Jexhius said:

I'd think you'd like GGG. Even if at times it's slow or maybe you can appreciate it in some other ways. It really felt like I was sort of a kid again, then shit starts hitting the fan.

As many people say once it retires the opening monster of the week formula it goes places.
Plus it has fire trucks and ninja robot cop cars. It's so classic oldschool.
I also didn't like how blocky GGG felt, but I really warmed up to it and the weight of it moving.
Courage deal might wear on some people, but I liked it. Plus Guy is like half insane when he gets mad.

Kids SLIGHTLY get better.
Lafiel said:
I heard it's worth sitting through GaoGai Gar for the FINAL OVAs. I'd probably suggest watching Getter Robo: Armageddon first though, it's only 13-episodes, and one of the better super-robot ovas.
FINAL is fucking amazing.

Here's the episode guide.
qhzke.png

mAcOdIn

Aigis said:
I can't remember the difference between Macross Plus OVA and the Movie and it'll probably be a long time before my memory gets jogged again as I think all that exists on DVD is the movie version in the US.
Aigis said:
Well as others have said, watch both but be prepared for some shitty presentation in Macross proper. Someone said it doesn't age badly because it has good pacing, that's partly true but visually it ages terribly in a lot of places. Outside in space I think it still stands it's ground but some of the scenes inside the ship? Ugh. But still, watch it first than DYRL.
Branduil said:
That definitely looks like something Jexhius should watch.
Oh yeah, it even has the Vic Viper in it.

Dresden

GaoGaiGar 26:

Well, the pliers are really cool at least.

vms8E.jpg

Dull episode otherwise. I skipped through a lot of the Mic/Mamoru stuff which made it more bearable. It looks like the 'heavy' stuff might start next episode, since the "Four Robot Kings" got their mechs or something.
Hazaro said:
HIKARE NI NAREEEEEEEEE. Yes pink hair is awful.

Skipping to 25 is fine after you see Volfogg, although you don't really need to even go that far.
Good to know.

Jex

umop_3pisdn said:
The Golden Age is just the set up. It's inherently more self-contained because it's told via a flashback, and it's where all the main characters receive their critical development as a set up to the larger plot, but that's what it is, backstory. The Eclipse is an anti-climax if taken as an ending, all that character development is retrospectively made meaningless if the story ends there. That isn't an ending...
If taken as a contained story-arc, there's nothing wrong with how Golden Age ends. You can have 'unhappy endings' to a story, we see them all the time.

At the start characters are introduced, they develop, their backgrounds are fleshed out (using typical flashback storytelling) and they go on to clash and eventually fall. The rise and fall of a great man is one of the most classic story structures in use today. Any typical gangster or crime movie tells the same basic tale.
umop_3pisdn said:
The two characters were set up as a kind of perfect foil to each other, and this development (what happens in and after the eclipse) is their key difference in character taken to the ultimate conclusion.
There is no conclusion though. There's just been years of wondering around and doing nothing. I know that plot events have happened but to what end, if any?

There aren't really any good excuses for spending twenty years not finishing, or even approaching a conclusion, for your manga.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dresden said:
GaoGaiGar 26:

Well, the pliers are really cool at least.

Dull episode otherwise. I skipped through a lot of the Mic/Mamoru stuff which made it more bearable. It looks like the 'heavy' stuff might start next episode, since the "Four Robot Kings" got their mechs or something.
Yup. Shit hits the fan there. I'd watch a few eps between 8-25 though.

Jexhius said:
If taken as a contained story-arc, there's nothing wrong with how Golden Age ends. You can have 'unhappy endings' to a story, we see them all the time.

It isn't an ending, or at least not a good one, and it has nothing to do with if it's happy or unhappy and everything to do with if it offers satisfying closure, which can come along with any kind of emotional tone. This is abortive, it only has the appropriate effect if all Miura was going for in the end was an expression of futility, because that is what it becomes.

His story can still accomplish a lot more than only that, and he can still end it in that way if he finds it necessary. But I don't think he will, and personally I think it seems intuitive why. I won't claim to know what Berserk is 'about', but the man has set up a pretty clever cosmology and a universe where good and evil both absolutely exist, I don't think it makes much sense for him to set that up as a means of offering a sort of quasi-closure. The story is intended to be more than that and as far as I'm concerned, and from a dramatic perspective this is one case where I think the author is right to think so.

At the start characters are introduced, they develop, their backgrounds are fleshed out (using typical flashback storytelling) and they go on to clash and eventually fall. The rise and fall of a great man is one of the most classic story structures in use today. Any typical gangster or crime movie tells the same basic tale.

Having it only be that is to the detriment of Griffith's character. His rise and fall is only a motive for him to make the sacrifice. Griffith's personal tragedy is just the catalyst to lead to the greater tragedy of the story... as I said previously, I think it's about more than that. The particular difference between Guts and Griffith only makes that clearer to me.

Griffith is a sort of person who needs a 'dream' to justify his life. I think the suggestion has been palpable so far that Miura sees no happy ending for this sort of person. The eclipse is just a fantastic way of making that more poignant than possible through realistic or conventional means, and it is used to great effect. What Griffith is now is almost a kind of allegory for what lies at the end of that sort of path, a kind of dehumanization, but being so literal and absolute it makes that theme more powerful.

It doesn't work if Griffith just becomes a Godhand, the end. That lends credence to Griffith's path in life (which is essentially now that of a glorified, willing pawn), which frankly makes no sense. Griffith's strength is a false strength, he isn't meant to 'win', not because he's the 'bad guy', but because his is the character with the tragic flaw.

There is no conclusion though. There's just been years of wondering around and doing nothing. I know that plot events have happened but to what end, if any?

There aren't really any good excuses for spending twenty years not finishing, or even approaching a conclusion, for your manga.

It's ongoing, yes. It's not like the plot has been in stasis, either. He's been teasing at an ending for a while now and the pieces are finally coming into place for that. Griffith has to get his kingdom, and he has. Fairy Island is probably Guts last stop. A few years ago I couldn't anticipate it, now I can.

There is a good excuse: It's his story, he'll tell it how he wants to, every storyteller makes the medium their own, it's a part of the process. It's too early to say if his approach is a mistake, and I haven't been given enough reason to doubt him yet.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
This is Yosuga no whatever but with a brother instead of a twin sister, right?
Yes and no. Yeah, it's the closest Spring '11 show I can see vaguely resembling Yosuga no Sora (haven't seen it), so I feel inclined to say yes; but no, there's really no similarity between the two beyond a few things like the remote village setting. I hope it doesn't approach something like Yosuga no Sora and I highly doubt it will. But if they did... the bath scene was already odd to say the least. It's like they're trying to appeal to both the shotacons and lolicons by
drawing Ayumu's nipples the way they did.
The VA selection amplifies this feeling a bit although it isn't unusual at all that a female VA voices a younger boy in anime.

Jex

umop_3pisdn said:
It isn't an ending, or at least not a good one, and it has nothing to do with if it's happy or unhappy and everything to do with if it offers satisfying closure, which can come along with any kind of emotional tone. This is abortive, it only has the appropriate effect if all Miura was going for in the end was an expression of futility, because that is what it becomes.
That was the tone and finale the anime was going for, as it's a work separate from the manga there's nothing wrong with choosing such an ending. In other words, the anime isn't Muira's Berserk.
umop_3pisdn said:
His story can still accomplish a lot more than only that, and he can still end it in that way if he finds it necessary.
Once again this bringing the original author and the manga into consideration, when a lot of the wider cosmology and other considerations were removed from the anime because it was done by different people making a different property. That's why it stands on it's own.

How the manga will go forward and what it's objectives are is a completely separate, although equally valid, question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Animation nerd side note - There are the legs of a character from Bubblegum Crisis two as she passes through drifting silt:

shadoweffect.jpg

The outline of her legs is drawn isn't as a solid block, but as a slightly 'broken' shape, with small bits removed. I swear I've seen a very similar approach to drawing a character shrouded by smoke, but I can't remember where.

It's really going to bug me. Was it Berserk? Pop Chaser? Ideon? Armor Trooper VOTOMS? ARGH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom