• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jexhius said:
That was the tone and finale the anime was going for, as it's a work separate from the manga there's nothing wrong with choosing such an ending. In other words, the anime isn't Muira's Berserk.

Once again this bringing the original author and the manga into consideration, when a lot of the wider cosmology and other considerations were removed from the anime because it was done by different people making a different property. That's why it stands on it's own.

How the manga will go forward and what it's objectives are is a completely separate, although equally valid, question.

I can agree with that, but I have my opinion on which version is more 'definitive' (and not in a 'canonical' sense or as a property of authorship, but individual merit), my posts were just an attempt to convey that. You presented the contrary opinion and while I can respect it, I admit to not really understanding it. The anime has always been something of an advertisement for the manga to me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
Ask Marvel and DC when their books are going to end.

Geneijin said:
Yes and no. Yeah, it's the closest Spring '11 show I can see vaguely resembling Yosuga no Sora (haven't seen it), so I feel inclined to say yes; but no, there's really no similarity between the two beyond a few things like the remote village setting. I hope it doesn't approach something like Yosuga no Sora and I highly doubt it will. But if they did... the bath scene was already odd to say the least. It's like they're trying to appeal to both the shotacons and lolicons by
drawing Ayumu's nipples the way they did.
The VA selection amplifies this feeling a bit although it isn't unusual at all that a female VA voices a younger boy in anime.

Well, there ya go. It's still a haremy-harem though?

Uchip said:
highschool of the dead matrix tits....
I don't think Matrix is considered good anymore. And it never had bouncing tits. :lol

But anyway, Softenni continues to be silly by introducing a foreigner who speaks English like a Japanese girl. But hey, I get to laugh when people try to fake Chinese on American cop shows, so it's all good.

Jex, have you even read the Berserk manga? It seems like you're arguing about something you have little knowledge of. Berserk is one of the LAST anime adaptations I would call "separate from the source material".

Shouta

The thing about the first 25 GGG episodes is that while it's formulaic to all hell (as it was for all the Yuusha series prior to it) it's meant to get you really familiar to the characters and the little things about them. That's a pretty classic giant robot thing, Monster of the week is a vehicle to show a bit of the characters (and to sell toys) while keeping it standalone and not nearly as heavy to digest.

Jex: I'd recommend Gundam X if you haven't already seen it.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
I don't think Matrix is considered good anymore.
You try telling that to the rest of GAF!
cosmicblizzard said:
Jex, have you even read the Berserk manga? It seems like you're arguing about something you have little knowledge of.
Oh snap that argument form!

I've read it all.

Uchip

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Ask Marvel and DC when their books are going to end.

Well, there ya go. It's still a haremy-harem though?

I don't think Matrix is considered good anymore. And it never had bouncing tits. :lol

But anyway, Softenni continues to be silly by introducing a foreigner who speaks English like a Japanese girl. But hey, I get to laugh when people try to fake Chinese on American cop shows, so it's all good.

its still an example of a show trying to get cheap laughs by referencing something else
and it had already been done to death for the last 10 years

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Uchip said:
its still an example of a show trying to get cheap laughs by referencing something else
and it had already been done to death for the last 10 years
Yeah, but this is a bad tennis show referencing a good and iconic tennis show. :lol
I guess a similar question would be: is the JJ Abrams Star Trek not a piece of crap just because Leonard Nimoy is in it?

Jexhius said:
You try telling that to the rest of GAF!
Let me spend 10 minutes telling you about the Architect.

Jex

cosmicblizzard said:
Oh sorry. I vaguely remember you saying you haven't read any of it, but maybe I dreamed that or it was about another series.
I'm sure there was something I hand not read, or had not read all of. It would be quite likely considering I've barely read any manga.

Uchip

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Yeah, but this is a bad tennis show referencing a good and iconic tennis show. :lol
I guess a similar question would be: is the JJ Abrams Star Trek not a piece of crap just because Leonard Nimoy is in it?

Abrams Star Trek was a good movie regardless

Dresden

Screw you guys, The Matrix (and all the shitty bullet-time jokes) pretty much defined my childhood. My nostalgia tower is tall and unassailable.

Shouta said:
The thing about the first 25 GGG episodes is that while it's formulaic to all hell (as it was for all the Yuusha series prior to it) it's meant to get you really familiar to the characters and the little things about them. That's a pretty classic giant robot thing, Monster of the week is a vehicle to show a bit of the characters (and to sell toys) while keeping it standalone and not nearly as heavy to digest.
Yeah, but I just find them dull. I don't know if I can chug through twenty episodes of that.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Well, no-one's going to defend the sequels, but I'm sure you'll find plenty of people to go to bat for the original, myself included.

Then again, people still think Spiderman-2 is good.

For reference, my other heresies include -

Akira Anime > Akira Manga

Berserk Anime > Berserk Manga

Monster Anime as good as if not better than Monster Manga

Nausicaa Anime and Nausicaa Manga both really good for different reasons.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
firehawk12 said:
The Matrix is still a good standalone movie. There were talks about making sequels, but it's for the best that nothing came of it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Uchip said:
Abrams Star Trek was a good movie regardless
Well, not really, but this isn't the time and place for that. I guess I'm with the Plinkett reviews on the film rather than outright hatred though.

Dresden said:
Screw you guys, The Matrix (and all the shitty bullet-time jokes) pretty much defined my childhood. My nostalgia tower is tall and unassailable.
Have you watched the movie(s) lately? :lol

Hitokage said:
The Matrix is still a good standalone movie.
It has the same flaws as the sequel. It's just that they were less pronounced because of its novelty at the time.
Although, I suppose being 10+ years removed from all the hype probably changes my outlook on the film.

Steroyd

Uchip said:
highschool of the dead matrix tits....

That wasn't a reference that was fanservice.

Dresden said:

Matrix bullet time pretty much defined alot of stuff after it, as far as I was concerned it re-invented slow motion techniques in films for me lol.

Shouta

Dresden said:
Yeah, but I just find them dull. I don't know if I can chug through twenty episodes of that.

Most folks can't. In those cases I can't (which is usually a little rare), I just straddle the episodes over a longer period myself.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
It has the same flaws as the sequel. It's just that they were less pronounced because of its novelty at the time.
Although, I suppose being 10+ years removed from all the hype probably changes my outlook on the film.
I want you to go make a LTTP thread or something about it now. I'm kind of interested in the responses/lynching.
Dresden said:
It's the best superhero movie ever made, so that's not a big surprise.
No, and I never will, damn it.
Sounds like someone needs to rewatch their movies!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jexhius said:
There are parts of Spiderman 2 that make me giggle in a The Core way, although the overuse of SHOT OF WOMAN SCREAMING is incredibly annoying.

For reference, my other heresies include -

Akira Anime > Akira Manga

Berserk Anime > Berserk Manga

[...]

Nausicaa Anime and Nausicaa Manga both really good for different reasons.
Which are also some of the reasons why I hold you in high esteem, good sir!

Branduil

firehawk12 said:

I'm pretty sure the first Matrix didn't have Neo/Trinity androgynous sex, hours of boring Zion scenes, a lame French villain, Colonel Sanders, dopey CGI fights, and one of the worst death scenes of all time.

Jexhius said:

Eh, it's better than the first. Not that that's saying too much.

Dresden said:

It's no The Incredibles.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cosmicblizzard said:
What do you think that "What does the rest of the world think of Americans?" thread is?
A thread I know not to go into!

Branduil said:
I'm pretty sure the first Matrix didn't have Neo/Trinity androgynous sex, hours of boring Zion scenes, a lame French villain, Colonel Sanders, dopey CGI fights, and one of the worst death scenes of all time.
It has SyFy exposition, existentialist wankery and the power of love. Action sequences are arguable I suppose, since you know my stance on those nowadays. But at least they are practical effects and not crappy computer renders.

Jex

Toward The Terra 15

Pioneering homosexual themes in space decades before Gundam would try to cash in on a similar idea:

terralove.jpg

Also, it pleases by nerd/logic heart no end that Keith destroys all the Mu soldiers standing guard. All they've been trained to do is invade people's minds and confuse them, which has always worked for obvious reasons. Yet as Keith has undergone psychic-resistance training he takes them out in hand-to-hand extremely quickly.

It's pretty easy to understand why the Mu would get so complacent and it's cool that the writer has a logical reason for how the events unfold. I mean, if you had psychic powers you probably wouldn't bother with sit-ups either.

Uchip

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Well, not really, but this isn't the time and place for that. I guess I'm with the Plinkett reviews on the film rather than outright hatred though.

Have you watched the movie(s) lately? :lol

oh
you're one of those

mAcOdIn

Jexhius said:
Toward The Terra 15

Pioneering homosexual themes in space decades before Gundam would try to cash in on a similar idea:
It's kind of unfair to make that claim while using the TV series, the TV series is from around 2007! But I guess you can give it to the franchise as a whole.
Jexhius said:
It's pretty easy to understand why the Mu would get so complacent and it's cool that the writer has a logical reason for how the events unfold. I mean, if you had psychic powers you probably wouldn't bother with sit-ups either.
Huh, what about looking nice for their women? Oh wait, there's a reason they don't care about that too.
jump_button said:
Well it is worth seeing.

Uchip

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Well, I used to be a fan of Star Trek anyway.

See I found the Star Trek shows to be rather boring and the only sci fi show I ever finished was Farscape. If you hadn't seen the older Star Treks would your opinion be significantly different?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Uchip said:
See I found the Star Trek shows to be rather boring and the only sci fi show I ever finished was Farscape. If you hadn't seen the older Star Treks would your opinion be significantly different?
I'm not sure I'd be a fanboy nerd of any type without Trek. I might actually be a "productive member of society", whatever that is.

That said, independent of my knowledge of Trek, the movie is a very passable and boring science fiction action movie. Like any other summer blockbuster not directed by Chris Nolan, really.

mAcOdIn

Star Trek is pretty mono no aware.

All those episodes that start off at some nebula or some shit with them all sitting there watching it on the big screen squeeling over how great it is to be able to see something so rare live before it goes away.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Dresden said:
One of the best, at least. In fact, i like it better than The Dark knight!

It has SyFy exposition, existentialist wankery and the power of love. Action sequences are arguable I suppose, since you know my stance on those nowadays. But at least they are practical effects and not crappy computer renders.
Those things were at least executed in a rather stylish and entertaining way, i really can't say the same way about any of the sequels.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
GaoGaiGar Ep 25-32
Just rewatched this.

Man I forgot how crazy this show gets and some things happened in some instances.

Articalys

Serial Experiments Lain 1-4

Note to self: don't watch the rest of the series when slightly drowsy and at 11pm. It makes it about ten billion times harder to understand. Then again I don't think I'd know where it was going anyway.

There's a certain something about the style of these late-90s anime that I can't quite put my finger on, that makes them look cool.

mAcOdIn

Articalys said:
Serial Experiments Lain 1-4

Note to self: don't watch the rest of the series when slightly drowsy and at 11pm. It makes it about ten billion times harder to understand. Then again I don't think I'd know where it was going anyway.

There's a certain something about the style of these late-90s anime that I can't quite put my finger on, that makes them look cool.
The fact they were usually gorgeously drawn and detailed?

Basically, to me, when comparing the new with the old it comes down to sharper versus detailed. This is of course only true with the good looking works from each era as Lain's better looking than a lot of less memorable stuff from the same era but among the good stuff from each era I think that's what it boils down to. The new good style is clean, sterile and sharp while the old was detailed and worn which I think also made them look more realistic or human.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Serial experiments lain has a great art style, but the animation isn't exactly it's strongest point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom