• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Lafiel said:
Serial experiments lain has a great art style, but the animation isn't exactly it's strongest point.
Indeed.
The atmosphere, which direction, art and music contribute to, along with the characters, is what I consider the strong point of serial experiments lain. Also, the whole eerie feeling it has, which leaves certain things up to you to interpret how you want.

duckroll

X TV continued

Watched up to episode 12 now, the mid-series climax. I really, really like how the series was planned and executed. The varying character perspectives and expanding the various character-centric scenes and flashbacks to give the large cast much more room to breath really sells the entire scope of the story. Instead of the story revolving around Kamui, the series makes it clear that the story revolves around the fate of the world, and everyone has a stake in it. Kamui just happens to be the core of the prophecy, but the story is about so much more than just him. Great stuff.

The stand out episode in the current batch I've seen has to be episode 9. Focusing on Subaru, the episode is written and directed in a really different way from the rest of the episodes. With Subaru on an onmyouji job, the direction takes on a very interesting style both in visuals and pacing. Kinda feels like a low budget but highly atmospheric horror/mystery show instead of the usual stuff. The episode was directed and storyboarded by Hiroshi Hamasaki, who eventually goes on to direct Texhnolyze, and is co-directing this season's Steins;Gate adaptation.

Also of note, Masahiro Ando storyboarded the episode with Nekoi's flashback. Clearly this was an early indication that his true calling was to tell stories of a teenage girl who has no problems with sharing herself with a much older man who she has just met! J/k...?

trejo

zeroshiki said:
Let's start a hmm... DNAngel bandwagon!
That's the one where the guy has the hots for the wrong twin but ends hooking up with the right one, correct?

It was kinda forgettable.

Shouta

duckroll said:
X TV continued

Watched up to episode 12 now, the mid-series climax. I really, really like how the series was planned and executed. The varying character perspectives and expanding the various character-centric scenes and flashbacks to give the large cast much more room to breath really sells the entire scope of the story. Instead of the story revolving around Kamui, the series makes it clear that the story revolves around the fate of the world, and everyone has a stake in it. Kamui just happens to be the core of the prophecy, but the story is about so much more than just him. Great stuff.

The stand out episode in the current batch I've seen has to be episode 9. Focusing on Subaru, the episode is written and directed in a really different way from the rest of the episodes. With Subaru on an onmyouji job, the direction takes on a very interesting style both in visuals and pacing. Kinda feels like a low budget but highly atmospheric horror/mystery show instead of the usual stuff. The episode was directed and storyboarded by Hiroshi Hamasaki, who eventually goes on to direct Texhnolyze, and is co-directing this season's Steins;Gate adaptation.

Also of note, Masahiro Ando storyboarded the episode with Nekoi's flashback. Clearly this was an early indication that his true calling was to tell stories of a teenage girl who has no problems with sharing herself with a much older man who she has just met! J/k...?

X TV was really good and I really liked the ending for it compared to the other iterations of the series.

duckroll

Shouta said:
X TV was really good and I really liked the ending for it compared to the other iterations of the series.

Well, that doesn't say much, since... the movie had a really shitty plot (was there even one?) and the manga well... yeah... you know... >_<

/me suicides.

Shouta

duckroll said:
Well, that doesn't say much, since... the movie had a really shitty plot (was there even one?) and the manga well... yeah... you know... >_<

/me suicides.

This is true but still, they actually made it into something that was watchable! The X movie was pretty as fuck though.

zeroshiki

trejo said:
That's the one where the guy has the hots for the wrong twin but ends hooking up with the right one, correct?

I don't even remember anything except the guy had wings. Oh wait was that Escaflowne? :p

Jex

mAcOdIn said:
Huh, what about looking nice for their women? Oh wait, there's a reason they don't care about that too.
Well actually, before the events of the series the Mu didn't engage in sexual intercourse. Neither do any regular humans, so it actually makes a weird kind of sense!

mAcOdIn

Jexhius said:
Well actually, before the events of the series the Mu didn't engage in sexual intercourse. Neither do any regular humans, so it actually makes a weird kind of sense!
Hence my second sentence!

Cwarrior

ao no exorcist ep1

That priest looks badass, I would rather watch a story about him fighting demons, the music was nice and quite epic remind me something from van helsing or one track from 300.

I hate filler but i have no problem with good filler.

I can never watch past the halfway point with X tv in all the times I have tried to re-watch it. It's when the plot kicks into high gear and while that's a positive thing, I liked the 1st half's more character focused episodes.

As for the movie. Well the animations is fantastic and the overall look is pretty amazing. Plus there's lots of deaths, with one in particularity that is hilariously funny. Yeah I kind of enjoy the movie.

faridmon

I have just placed an order for Prof. Layton Movie and the Summer Wars/The girl that leep through time combo. Can't wait. Haven't watched Summer wars but absolutely loved the Girl that lep through time.

zeroshiki said:
I don't even remember anything except the guy had wings. Oh wait was that Escaflowne? :p

It's one of the few "action" Shoujo series I've seen. I liked it, but don't remember much about it. Seems like the manga is still going.

DiGiKerot

trejo said:

That's the one.

DNAngel t'was alright a show, I guess. The main things I'm remembering about my thoughts regarding the show at the time are that the CG was less obnoxious than it was in most shows of the era, and that I liked the first ED.

Actually, the main thing I remember is people bringing it up in jest in regards to the ADV staffer who proclaimed that it was the show which finally supplanted Dirty Pair as his favourite thing ever. Personally, I can't really imagine ever watching it through again.

trejo said:

It was ok and it was cool he saw the error of his ways and picked the right twin.

But it doesn't help the author hasn't bothered to continue it to this day though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Jexhius said:
Berserk Anime > Berserk Manga
I see no problem with this. The Golden Age arc was really the best part of Berserk. Thinking about it, the Manga is still living off on how strong it was.

Jex

Ideon 3

All right, I'm out for now. I can't handle too much classic Tomino. Firstly I get a headache trying to think about why characters are doing things and how poor the writing is, then I get a headache trying to suppress my inclinations to work out what's going on and finally I just retreat into the darkness as a gibbering wreck of a human being.

From a 'Tomino across time' perspective it's interesting how he'll later return to the idea of "digging up a crazy ancient robot" and "excavating an old spaceship" but do it far, far better in &#8704; Gundam.

Erigu

shintoki said:
I see no problem with this. The Golden Age arc was really the best part of Berserk.
And it was better in the manga.
The anime had Hirasawa going for it. That was pretty much it (and I find it hard to criticize the manga for its lack of BGM).

Jex

Erigu said:
And it was better in the manga.
The anime had Hirasawa going for it. That was pretty much it (and I find it hard to criticize the manga for its lack of BGM).
The anime even has better character designs!

All the stuff they excised just made it flow better for a 26 episode anime and all the stuff they left in is extremely similar to how it was the manga, making it rather faithful.

Well with the tweets from shonenjump and viz during their livestream today, I know need to check out Blue Exorcist ep 1 when I get home, apparently it is so good with amazing animation, cant wait.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I liked DNAngel (manga) mostly because I enjoyed Sugisaki's art style. Not sure how the anime turned out.

Steroyd

Dawg Dayz - 03

zzzZZZzzz

zzzZZZzzz

zzzZZZzzz

zzzZZZzzz

Hahaha at the kidnapping group, I've got to stop watching this show for mundane reasons, last ep was the action scenes, this ep was the bunny eared girl. o_O

Erigu

[Berserk]
Jexhius said:
The anime even has better character designs!
Nah... But it sure had a lot of them: it's like they could never decide which one to use for Griffith, for example!

All the stuff they excised just made it flow better for a 26 episode anime
I don't have much of a problem regarding the overall flow. The missing characters are an issue if you want to come back with a second series, but not a big deal otherwise.
(then again, as has been said earlier, the story told by the TV show simply isn't complete... it's not just a matter of "hey, unhappy endings happen, too!": there clearly is some unfinished business)

It's just that everything that's good in the anime was already right there in the manga (again, aside from Hirasawa... but even then, there was, what? 45 minutes of music for 25 episodes? so the final massacre gets the same BGM as a bunch of "normal" battles before? okay...). The adaptation did a great job advertising the original series, but was pretty damn pointless otherwise...

Lain

Finished watching the first season of Spice and Wolf and really liked it. Someone said Holo troll Lawrence all the time, and it's so true, Holo trolls Lawrence like a boss.
It also had a cool ending, and not every day you get the male protagonist riding his woman not once, but twice in an episode!

Halycon said:
I liked DNAngel (manga) mostly because I enjoyed Sugisaki's art style. Not sure how the anime turned out.

It was alright but changes had to be made since the story wasn't (and is still not) done.

Lain said:
Finished watching the first season of Spice and Wolf and really liked it. Someone said Holo troll Lawrence all the time, and it's so true, Holo trolls Lawrence like a boss.
It also had a cool ending, and not every day you get the male protagonist riding his woman not once, but twice in an episode!

Hurr Hurr.

Second season now plz :p

Jex

Erigu said:
[Berserk]
(I)t sure had a lot of them: it's like they could never decide which one to use for Griffith, for example!
So I guess in that regard it would be remarkably similar to the manga! Except that Griffith looks like an effeminate men rather than a woman.
Erigu said:
(then again, as has been said earlier, the story told by the TV show simply isn't complete... it's not just a matter of "hey, unhappy endings happen, too!": there clearly is some unfinished business)
Stories can and do finish without every single part of their universe wrapped into a neat bow, as it were. This can work for the series as well, although admittedly episode one leaves quite a lot open. Although I do tend to not show episode one to people because it's kind of weak compared to the rest of the show and it ruins later surprises.
Erigu said:
The adaptation did a great job advertising the original series, but was pretty damn pointless otherwise...
You could make that argument for nearly all anime based off on manga and to an extent that's a purpose they serve, but to claim that's all they do is part of a dangerously reductive group of arguments about the whole "manga to anime" business.

The Berserk anime has great voice work and music, which may or may not be important to someone but it's certainly important for me.

As I've mentioned, I vastly prefer the anime design for Griffith.

It's animation quality is sketchy, surprisingly so for a series based off such a popular series. However, for those brief moments you get an animated scene it can actually be superior to it's manga version. For example, the Guts vs. Samson fight in the woods is better in the manga because I don't think Miura does a great job of laying out all the fights in the manga. I personally think it's one of his weakness, even though sometimes he does it well.

The biggest improvement definitely comes in pacing. Removing a lot of the fantasy stuff was clearly a time saving measure but excising a number of those scenes (and even whole arcs) frees up the story to move from major plot point to major plot point at a remarkably brisk pace. This means the actual character works hits home harder because it's not being interrupted by fight scenes and people getting raped/nearly raped.

In other words, refining what makes a story good and giving the audience that is far from 'pointless'.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jexhius said:
You could make that argument for nearly all anime based off on manga and to an extent that's a purpose they serve, but to claim that's all they do is part of a dangerously reductive group of arguments about the whole "manga to anime" business.
Except then one would have to concede that the Nausicaa manga exists just to advertise the movie. :D

Mai-Hime 25

Natsuki and Shizuru's death was pretty awesome. Figured a murder-suicide would happen eventually after learning the rules.

Now onto the apparently shit ending.

Mai-Hime 26

"Girls and socks have gotten much tougher." Wat?

I honestly didn't think the ending was too bad. I mean, I like happy endings too even if things end up going to hell prior to it. Maybe I wouldn't like it as much if I wasn't aware of it though. Madoka turning out like this might make me mad. Not really sure.

Uchip

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Mai-Hime 26

I honestly didn't think the ending was too bad. I mean, I like happy endings too even if things end up going to hell prior to it. Maybe I wouldn't like it as much if I wasn't aware of it though. Madoka turning out like this might make me mad. Not really sure.

it is mamis destiny to die in a horrible car crash

Jex

REDLINE REDLINE REDLINE!!!

Okay, so, yeah, I'm in Europe and I have a Xbox360 so Portal 2 doesn't come out until tomorrow for me. Hence I can spend far too much of time writing about Berserk.

Also, where the hell is my Kaiji, dammit!

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
duckroll said:
THE HYPE IS SO STRONG I CAN FEEL IT EXPLODING FROM MY PANTS!

Edit: That's the BD LE at 8190yen, but there's a standard version for a LOW price of 5000yen! OMG!

http://forest.kinokuniya.co.jp/ItemIntro/668334

The LE comes with a Koike illustrated slipcase, and contains an extra disc with a making of feature, an original music video, and previously unreleased demo footage.

:O

Erigu

[Berserk]
Jexhius said:
So I guess in that regard it would be remarkably similar to the manga!
Oh, c'mon, man... I almost mentioned that just in case, but thought "nah, Jexhius wouldn't go there!"
(I mean, most of the time, you sound like a sensible guy... but every now and then, you talk about manga adaptations, Berserk or Urasawa, and I just don't know what to think anymore!)

Anyway: yeah, Miura's style changed a lot over the years (it's still changing, in fact). But we're talking about a 25-episode TV show, here: the character design should be pretty much set in stone to begin with.

Stories can and do finish without every single part of their universe wrapped into a neat bow, as it were. This can work for the series as well, although admittedly episode one leaves quite a lot open.
Well, yeah. And Guts being shown to be alive at the very end. Leaving to do... what? How? And what happened to Casca?

You could make that argument for nearly all anime based off on manga
Some actually realize they're animated and try to take advantage of the new medium...
It's not just that the Berserk anime felt cheap (after all, I'm pretty sure it kinda was): it wasn't doing much of anything that was visually interesting. I think there's one point where I thought to myself "wow, it's like they finally remembered they could do more than simply (and often somewhat awkwardly) copying manga panels!" (I believe it was during the assassination episode you mentioned earlier, actually). It's like all the ingeniousness they could muster was spent on ways to portray severed limbs without actually showing them (that was pretty funny for the first guy Guts tried his sword on, in episode 1).

The Berserk anime has great voice work and music, which may or may not be important to someone but it's certainly important for me.
It had great music, but (like I said above) not nearly enough of it, in my opinion...
As for the voice work... I thought it was merely "okay", overall. Not a big fan of Miyamura's Casca, for example, and the bit characters were annoying.

It's animation quality is sketchy, surprisingly so for a series based off such a popular series.
It was kinda obscure, back then, actually, so it's not that surprising.

However, for those brief moments you get an animated scene it can actually be superior to it's manga version. For example, the Guts vs. Samson fight in the woods is better in the manga because I don't think Miura does a great job of laying out all the fights in the manga. I personally think it's one of his weakness, even though sometimes he does it well.
I... I don't know how to reply to that. If anything, I think it's a damn shame how the anime turned out to be less dynamic than the manga, so... er...

The biggest improvement definitely comes in pacing. Removing a lot of the fantasy stuff was clearly a time saving measure but excising a number of those scenes (and even whole arcs) frees up the story to move from major plot point to major plot point at a remarkably brisk pace.
They actually added (at least?) one filler battle, if I remember well. I guess it helped to establish Adon as a villain early on... but then again, who gives a damn about Adon?
They changed the pace by removing... what? The useless (as far as the TV show is concerned) introductions of Puck, the Skeleton Knight and Sirat? The Bakiraka and Wyald stuff toward the very end? Charlotte and the king lost some scenes, too...

refining what makes a story good and giving the audience that is far from 'pointless'.
"Meh." The Guts/Casca love scene lost quite a bit in the transition, and I'm not exactly convinced about the supposed improvements to the pace you alluded to above...
And there's that episode 1 dude saying "things sure have gotten weird, since this Griffith guy became king!", which... Man, it's not just that it makes no freaking sense: did we really need a new line that sounds like it escaped straight from an RPG parody? Wasn't the very beginning of the series bad enough?

cosmicblizzard said:
Mai-Hime 26

Are you gonna watch the spin-off?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Now we just need game journalist box quotes then.

"Quite possibly the most important anime of our generation."
"Animation that makes everything else look like high school art projects."
"So good that my eyes bled as I watched it".

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Jexhius said:
REDLINE REDLINE REDLINE!!!

Okay, so, yeah, I'm in Europe and I have a Xbox360 so Portal 2 doesn't come out until tomorrow for me. Hence I can spend far too much of time writing about Berserk.

Also, where the hell is my Kaiji, dammit!
You'll love the game man. Just beat it!

I concur! Where are my bitch tears?

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
Now we just need game journalist box quotes then.

"Quite possibly the most important anime of our generation."
"Animation that makes everything else look like high school art projects."
"So good that my eyes bled as I watched it".
"It's like someone stitched together the corpses of Kubrick and Kurosawa to have them make this genre-redefining masterpiece. It's almost too good."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
"It's like someone stitched together the corpses of Kubrick and Kurosawa to have them make this genre-redefining masterpiece. It's almost too good."
Ryan O'Donnell.gif

Articalys said:
Well, it looks like we're finally getting that English-language site for Nico Nico Douga.
Are they indexing the Japanese stuff as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom