• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Not to actually argue against your position so much as explain my own...
Erigu said:
[Berserk]
Anyway: yeah, Miura's style changed a lot over the years (it's still changing, in fact). But we're talking about a 25-episode TV show, here: the character design should be pretty much set in stone to begin with.
I'm not referring to changes over the years, I'm referring to between volumes (although I guess that would also count as years?), but I also don't see much change between the designs during the series. Then again, as has been mentioned, the series animation and general quality isn't really that high. However it's not Cobra 2009 low either.
Erigu said:
Some actually realize they're animated and try to take advantage of the new medium...It's not just that the Berserk anime felt cheap (after all, I'm pretty sure it kinda was): it wasn't doing much of anything that was visually interesting.
I won't defend the direction side of the show any time soon, it's certainly nothing to write home about. But I don't believe you have to radically alter the look of the work when you change it from the manga to the anime, in fact I don't really care how you go about it so long as the finished product is good (what a useless word).

In an ideal world I'd have certain appreciated better cinematography, editing and so forth.
Erigu said:
It was kinda obscure, back then, actually, so it's not that surprising.
Really, after seven years of releases? Huh.
Erigu said:
I... I don't know how to reply to that. If anything, I think it's a damn shame how the anime turned out to be less dynamic than the manga, so... er...
The manga is often a dynamic mess, yes.
Erigu said:
They changed the pace by removing... what? The useless (as far as the TV show is concerned) introductions of Puck, the Skeleton Knight and Sirat? The Bakiraka and Wyald stuff toward the very end? Charlotte and the king lost some scenes, too...
Indeed, all that stuff was hacked away. I was never really sure why the king also had to be someone who wanted to rape his own daughter, but I guess everyone in the Berserk universe tends to be a complete bastard, sometimes for no particular reason.
firehawk12 said:
I feel like you Redline people are setting yourselves up for disappointment.
I don't think that's even humanly possible.

Aoi Hana Finale: Girls in the snow solve all the problems. Or something.

It was a good series, but I imagine most people who are going to watch it have already done so.
firehawk12 said:
"Animation that makes everything else look like high school art projects."
This is possibly maybe going to be true.
InfiniteNine said:
You'll love the game man. Just beat it!
I knew it! I imagine this is why there's no Kaiji either.

Erigu

[Berserk]
Jexhius said:
I'm not referring to changes over the years, I'm referring to between volumes (although I guess that would also count as years?)
Yup. At its fastest, the manga series was going at the rate of 1 volume / 6 month (i.e. the whole run of the TV series).

I also don't see much change between the designs during the series. Then again, as has been mentioned, the series animation and general quality isn't really that high. However it's not Cobra 2009 low either.
After what I've been told (by you? I don't remember), I wouldn't know about that one, but there's definitely worse, sure.

I won't defend the direction side of the show any time soon, it's certainly nothing to write home about. But I don't believe you have to radically alter the look of the work when you change it from the manga to the anime, in fact I don't really care how you go about it so long as the finished product is good (what a useless word).
Sure, it's just that... well, the manga was right there already. If you're not going to take advantage of the animated medium (and I'm not even talking about radically altering the look of the original work), what's the point of the adaptation?

Really, after seven years of releases? Huh.
When the author isn't somewhat famous from previous works and the serialization magazine (Animal House and then Young Animal) isn't all that high profile... That's why I said it was great publicity for the original series, earlier.

The manga is often a dynamic mess, yes.
It sure is a lot more orderly in the anime, where you're told "oh my god, they're so skilled! I've never seen a fight like that before!" as the swordsmen perform the same two moves again and again and again...

Aoi Hana Finale: Girls in the snow solve all the problems. Or something.
It was a good series, but I imagine most people who are going to watch it have already done so.
Did Hôrô Musuko turn out to be the Rosetta Stone you were missing the first time around?

JKTrix

Articalys said:
Well, it looks like we're finally getting that English-language site for Nico Nico Douga.

http://blog.niconico.com/information/2011/04/niconico-is-starting-the-beta-version.html

http://www.niconico.com/

Amusingly enough the first video that came up for me was Leeroy Jenkins. It's so weird to see the scrolling comments in letters I can understand.
Would honestly rather just have an English interface for their regular site, like what Pixiv recently did. To me, this just seems like them trying to segregate the foreigners.

Still, if streaming from foreign conventions is going to be a regular thing (I saw some of their Japanese Anime Expo stream last year), that would be pretty darn cool.

Jex

On to more important matters than silly men with swords: Sai Mecha results from the first round!

max-jenius-advice.jpg

VF-25 Messiah vs Evangelion UNIT 01 (36.36% vs 63.64%)

RX-0 Unicorn Gundam vs Gunbuster (36.26% vs 63.74%)

Tachikoma vs Mazinkaiser SKL (62.43% vs 37.57%)

Giant Robo vs Gurren (50.29% vs 49.71% BY ONE VOTE!)

VF-1 Valkyrie vs Turn A Gundam (62.35% vs 37.65%)

Kshatriya vs Evangelion UNIT 02 (43.82% vs 56.18%)

Gao Gai Gar vs Gouf Custom (51.18% vs 48.82%)

Hyaku Shiki vs Sinanju (43.48% vs 56.52%)

Most Hated SEED Destiny Pilot: Kira Yamato vs Shinn Asuka (48.47% vs 51.53%)

God bless you Giant Robo fans. No real surprises, although Gao Gai Gar vs Gouf Custom was surprisingly close.

Jexhius said:
On to more important matters than sill men with swords: Sai Mecha results from the first round!

max-jenius-advice.jpg

VF-25 Messiah vs Evangelion UNIT 01 (36.36% vs 63.64%)

RX-0 Unicorn Gundam vs Gunbuster (36.26% vs 63.74%)

Tachikoma vs Mazinkaiser SKL (62.43% vs 37.57%)

Giant Robo vs Gurren (50.29% vs 49.71% BY ONE VOTE!)

VF-1 Valkyrie vs Turn A Gundam (62.35% vs 37.65%)

Kshatriya vs Evangelion UNIT 02 (43.82% vs 56.18%)

Gao Gai Gar vs Gouf Custom (51.18% vs 48.82%)

Hyaku Shiki vs Sinanju (43.48% vs 56.52%)

Most Hated SEED Destiny Pilot: Kira Yamato vs Shinn Asuka (48.47% vs 51.53%)

God bless you Giant Robo fans. No real surprises, although Gao Gai Gar vs Gouf Custom was surprisingly close.

Shinn won something at least lol

7Th

Erigu said:
Anyway: yeah, Miura's style changed a lot over the years (it's still changing, in fact). But we're talking about a 25-episode TV show, here: the character design should be pretty much set in stone to begin with.

The look of the characters in anime isn't exactly set in stone, you know. Characters in TV anime tend to look different from episode to episode depending on the individual animation directors.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wait wait wait, EVA 02 over Kshtriya?

Really?

Fucking Asuka fanboys. All the EVAs are nearly more or less the same. Kshtriya, on the other hand, is a wonderfully designed piece of unrealistic and impractical (even by mobile suit standards) machinery.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Halycon said:

Really?

Fucking Asuka fanboys. All the EVAs are nearly more or less the same. Kshtriya, on the other hand, is a wonderfully designed piece of unrealistic and impractical (even by mobile suit standards) machinery.
*laughs in your face*

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Halycon said:

Really?

You have no idea. The Eva's are essentially God Mode machines. Cogito Ergo Sum Descartes powered monsters that with enough willpower can metaphysically tear shit to shreds. And it's not FUCK YEAH like in GaoGaiGar, it's grotesque WHAT HATH SCIENCE WROUGHT sort of tear shit to shreds.

Haly

And it would die in a second in a straight fight with Kshtriya.

How does one metaphysically tear something to shreds anyway?

hellclerk

Halycon said:
And it would die in a second in a straight fight with Kshtriya.
There is no straight fight with an Eva. They are quite literally the most broken "giant robot" ever to exist.

Haly

I'm pretty sure that distinction goes to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann but okay :p

Joule

Giant Robo 3-5: The operatic score really makes some of these scenes shine. Giant metallic eyeball thing is creepy. I am pretty disappointed that Alberto and Taiso didn't get to finish things off properly. I was wondering where were all the robots that appeared in the intro in every episode till episode 5 where they reveal everything. Cervantes was pretty cool. I guess we won't be seeing his fight with Taiso. Still wondering who Big Fire is.

Also episode 5's Ginrei fanservice. I mean really who put that Santa costume in with the rest of the supplies.

Looking to wrap this up maybe tonight. It's been a great ride. There also seem to be some Ginrei ova. How are they?

Dresden said:
Just watch the movie.
What he said. But if you want to go through with the tv series it picks up around half way through.

Geneijin

Blue Exorcist - 1
Filler? This is perfectly fine for me. I think I found another favorite show this season. Character development was nice, and I'm enjoying the established character relationships so far.

Halycon said:
Wouldn't the strongest mech be Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? Tengen Toppga Gurren Lagann is the size of it's feet compared to super.

hellclerk

Halycon said:
In the metaphorical sense, but the Eva's power was scientifically explained as metaphysical in the show. Like, like the specific scientific conclusion was that the very existence of Evas raped science upside-down. Gurren Lagann was SPIRAL ENERGY FUCK YEAH! handwavium nonsense.

That's not to say that Gurren Laggan wasn't stupid broken overpowered, but it's not on the survey, is it. :p

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Power levelz.

Eva Unit 02 is cooler than the Kshatriya, plus the redesign is like the only good thing about 2.0 :p

cj_iwakura

Articalys said:
Serial Experiments Lain 1-4

Note to self: don't watch the rest of the series when slightly drowsy and at 11pm. It makes it about ten billion times harder to understand. Then again I don't think I'd know where it was going anyway.

There's a certain something about the style of these late-90s anime that I can't quite put my finger on, that makes them look cool.

I look forward to your thoughts when things get REALLY crazy.

Shinn shouldn't have won that. Jesus Yamoto with Perfect Girl Lacus are way more annoying in Seed Destiny then anything else.

And Eva unit 2 is just awesome, if only because of End of Eva.

zeroshiki

Rahxephon91 said:
Shinn shouldn't have won that. Jesus Yamoto with Perfect Girl Lacus are way more annoying in Seed Destiny then anything else.

And Eva unit 2 is just awesome, if only because of End of Eva.

Shinn basically crying his way through 50 episodes probably sealed the deal.

JKTrix

I have a deep appreciation for Gurren Lagann and even I have to admit that the last several minutes of the 2nd movie made me numb. It was kind of overwhelming.

jman2050

Well Thursday has lots of shows queued so i'm sure people are just waiting for that.

I know a few people out there are excited for this little show that's supposed to be ending tomorrow. Not too sure what's up with that but I think a few people will comment on that.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Dresden said:
The animu thread sure has been slow lately. Is this the calm before the storm?

Tomorrow:

trainwreck_423727983_dac49569c5.jpg

?
Tomorrow is gonna be great. I am ready to see everyone's (save for a few including me) rage.

zeroshiki

There's usually a lull during the week when there are no new episodes yet and we've tapped out all there is to argue about.

(Dammit, HanaIro episode 3 was great with or without the fanservice)

Jex

Dresden said:
Portal 2 and disturbing lack of Kaiji are the main culprits.

We can only hope for trainwreck. Or you know, a good episode.

Jex

Crakatak187 said:
Wouldn't the strongest mech be Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? Tengen Toppga Gurren Lagann is the size of it's feet compared to super.
The movies don't exist, no matter how nice their animation is (in places).

Okay, so they're not that bad, but still.

Geneijin

Dresden said:
That would be the opposite of what you want happening, won't it?

Besides, Episode 2 of |C| and AnoHana make or break time!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Geneijin said:
Besides, Episode 3 of Han Semi make or break time!
Fixed for me.

Although I'm convinced at this point this show is specifically targeting me, because everyone else seems to hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom