• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

I've spent the last hour listening to every version of Magia I can find on youtube and yet I don't think my body's ready yet.

zeroshiki said:
There's usually a lull during the week when there are no new episodes yet and we've tapped out all there is to argue about.

(Dammit, HanaIro episode 3 was great with or without the fanservice)
But think of the children!

Articalys

This thread is inevitably going to overflow and require a OT2 before the season is over, isn't it?
jman2050 said:
No but Superman is!

trollface.jpg

XTeEj.jpg

Jex

If all the shows continue being good, there will be a heck of a lot of discussion even with individual threads (although those individual threads are certainly doing their jobs). So you'll need an OT2.

If all the shows turn to crap in a few episodes, then there will be lots and lots of discussion about everything but the current season, in which case you would need an OT2.

If some of the shows stay good but some go bad there will be less discussion than in previous weeks and maybe we won't need an OT2. But considering how many posts we've got already and how far we've got left to go...it's hard to foresee a scenario where we won't eventually hit OT2.

Toward the Terra 16

The Toward the Terra has some pretty sweet leaders for the Mu. I mean, Shin and Blue have to do quite in their role of Soldier:

-Act as general leader for the Mu race which includes deciding on the future of their race but also:
-Act a visionary and lead the Mu spiritually
-Act as the emotional leader for the race. As the Mu are linked telepathically one has to have a tight grip on your own emotions or else all the other Mu might feel your doubts and uncertainties.
-Act as a Tactician and General
-Act as a god damn super soldier who can fly in space unassisted and take on enemy battleships in hand to hand combat while wearing a purple cape.

An IS equivalent that we can talk endless shit about would push us over the top but I'm not sure if a terrible show that generates hilarious discussions would get as much viewership in a season with more than 3 shows that are worth talking about.

Geneijin

pieatorium said:
An IS equivalent that we can talk endless shit about would push us over the top but I'm not sure if a terrible show that generates hilarious discussions would get as much viewership in a season with more than 3 shows that are worth talking about.
Ore-tachi Tsubasa is my worse show this season, and it's even worse when you factor in the twist from the game spoilers. But it's not IS.

Still waiting on Episode 3.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Geneijin said:
Ore-tachi Tsubasa is my worse show this season, and it's even worse when you factor in the twist from the game spoilers. But it's not IS.

Still waiting on Episode 3.
It's alright man I like panties too.

Uchip

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Might as well just watch Softenni if that's what you want.
34c1dea5beff938a42bf140529d92863c03a7861.jpg

you know, I cant help but laugh picturing the group meetings for this kind of thing
sweaty animators and their cupnoodles deciding on which panty shots to use

Jex

Considering that I had already started The King of Braves GaoGaiGar sometime ago and found it boring I decided to go and check out episode 2 to confirm how I felt with regards to "monster of the week" stuff.

The King of Braves GaoGaiGar 2-3

This is probably a sign of how far I've fallen but these two episodes entertained me. I'm surprised at how competent and interesting the cinematography was, in places. The people making this clearly knew their stuff very well, which I appreciate.

The DIVIDING DRIVER is a pretty useful conceit to stop a fight destroying a whole city. That's fairly genre-savvy.

Steroyd

Jexhius said:
Portal 2 and disturbing lack of Kaiji are the main culprits.

We can only hope for trainwreck. Or you know, a good episode.

What happened to Kaiji, I thought a new episode would have been aired days ago?

mAcOdIn

Aigis said:
Tomorrow is gonna be great. I am ready to see everyone's (save for a few including me) rage.
Yeah, looking forward to the second episodes, will be fun. I need to remember to buy popcorn on the way home from work in preparation.

Salazar

Bought Tatami Galaxy.

I remembered some of the more sane folks in here saying good things about it. lol at HSotD being one of Madhouse's key credits on the back cover.

Dresden

Salazar said:
Bought Tatami Galaxy.

I remembered some of the more sane folks in here saying good things about it. lol at HSotD being one of Madhouse's key credits on the back cover.
Ugh, still no release here in America. ;_;

Looking up the release, this guy gave the show D+! I feel like one of those fools cluttering up gaming-side's review threads, outraged about some random game getting a low score.

Final Score

Storyline: D
Character Development: D
Design: A
OP/ED Themes: B
Music: D
Voice Acting: A
Extras: A
Personal Opinion: D+

Final Score: D+

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Salazar said:
Bought Tatami Galaxy.

You made a wise choice, my friend.

Geneijin

mAcOdIn said:
Yeah, looking forward to the second episodes, will be fun. I need to remember to buy popcorn on the way home from work in preparation.
I'm assuming most are awaiting Madoka unlike you and me

mAcOdIn

Geneijin said:
I'm assuming most are awaiting Madoka unlike you and me
Poor souls. I may get around to finishing that show up, still on episode 5 or so but it just wasn't my thing, but regardless I'm sure by now there's no way anyone will be happy with Madoka's ending.

Also, since we're talking new anime acquisitions I also just finally pulled the trigger on Nausicaa (Bluray) and Millennium Actress, never seen either, looking forward to them.

Geneijin

mAcOdIn said:
Poor souls. I may get around to finishing that show up, still on episode 5 or so but it just wasn't my thing, but regardless I'm sure by now there's no way anyone will be happy with Madoka's ending.
The only way that will happen is if it ends like Code Geass (not including R2) or Bakemonogatari.

I hope the ending goes well for the fans.

Jex

Thinking about Kaiji always leads me to thinking about over the top narrators in anime. The logical conclusion of this is a battle between the narrator in Kaiji and the narrator in Armor Trooper VOTOMS.

The narrator from Kaiji has a large advantage in that he speaks throughout the actual episode, where as the Armor Trooper VOTOMS narrator is confined to the next-episode preview. Still, he puts on a good fight!

kn1.jpg
kn2.jpg

atvn1.jpg
atvn2.jpg

Then again, that coffee line is worthy of a hardboiled detective novel.

mAcOdIn

Geneijin said:
The only way that will happen is if it ends like Code Geass (not including R2) or Bakemonogatari.
What was wrong with that ending? Granted, it wasn't a finale that wrapped up everything and made clear everything's future but as far as TV endings go it was alright.

Geneijin

Edit: On a random note, I just found out Disney JPN is showing K-On!

630mI.jpg

mAcOdIn said:
What was wrong with that ending? Granted, it wasn't a finale that wrapped up everything and made clear everything's future but as far as TV endings go it was alright.
Shaft delay raised anticipation for it, and the ending was met with more or less so-so reception because it turned out as expected.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Geneijin said:

630mI.jpg
That... looks disturbingly appropriate. Let's just hope it never makes it stateside on disney. GOD FORBID Miley Cyrus or some shit singing English Cageyake Girls...

Well, to be truthful, at least it would be better than the other English dub songs...

Steroyd

Geneijin said:

630mI.jpg

Oh dear god, it looks so... right. D:

Plus Disney can put in their own songs (which they generally do for their shitty shows) rather than straight up providing english translations of japaneese songs, my god I can see this working in the west if it happens this way.

mAcOdIn

Geneijin said:
Shaft delay raised anticipation for it, and the ending was met with more or less so-so reception because it turned out as expected.
Delay? Are we making the cat episode the ending? I don't know if I see it that way, even if it was the last stuff released, I consider that like a bonus episode like the bonus episode of Spice and Wolf on DVD.
The Storyteller said:
I'll second this. Mostly because i want to be included on someones sane list for once, but also because Tatami Galaxy is pretty damn good.
I'll trade you, I spend most of my waking life trying to get off of everyone's sane list.
Jexhius said:
Thinking about Kaiji always leads me to thinking about over the top narrators in anime. The logical conclusion of this is a battle between the narrator in Kaiji and the narrator in Armor Trooper VOTOMS.
When are you starting Sky Girls for your hot-blooded mecha action?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, for anyone who hates having money but doesn't like to burn it or give it away you can get Glass Fleet on sale at Rightstuf.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Infinite Justice said:
Could this be a sign of things to come on the Western side?

plus IIRC the channel has more of a female audience anyways so it could fit.

But K-ON isn't aimed at girls!

Jex

Serious question: what's up with anime episode titles spoiling (well, in many cases) the content of the episode?

Very occasionally it can be pretty cool e.g. KABUTO KOJI DIES IN MAGMA!! but other times it's kind of annoying.

Articalys

Finally had a chance to catch up on last weekend's slate of new shows after being away.

AnoHana looks really nice and it at least has me caring about the plot, so that's good. Has there been mention of how many episodes it's supposed to run?
Denpa Onna is pure Shaft through and through. Like the points-tallying thing at the end of each episode. Let's see where it goes.
I have C on my shortlist but apparently the first episode doesn't do much on its own; I'll wait for ep2 then watch them both.
Don't care about the rest of the new stuff.

So my current lineup is Nichijou, Iroha, Sket, Denpa, AnoHana, and potentially C. Manageable.

duckroll

Jexhius said:
Serious question: what's up with anime episode titles spoiling (well, in many cases) the content of the episode?

Very occasionally it can be pretty cool e.g. KABUTO KOJI DIES IN MAGMA!! but other times it's kind of annoying.

I feel there are two schools of thought when it comes to episode titles. One is rooted in literature, while the other is rooted in reporting. This theory is not researched at all, but rather one of observation, so I could be completely wrong. But I feel that in general episode titles are either written as a chapter title based around the context/theme of the content in the episode, or they are written as alarmist headlines reporting on the content of the episode. The latter type are the ones which generally contain massive spoilers, because it is probably felt that the nature of the content is not important, but rather how the content is presented. So in that sense they feel that spoiling what happens might actually attract more readers, and people simply want to know HOW that event goes down, without being too bothered that the event itself is spoiled in the title.

Branduil

Jexhius said:

WARNING PORTAL 2 SPOILER:
This is the part where he kills you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom