• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

toriko ep 3

Can’t be a manly man without your code of honour

30 year old something ep1

Sex god is quite funny but a lot of jokes are killed by heavy censoring

Softenni ep1

It’s like Wimbledon but with less tennis, they got the panty shot part down.

Did I see cameo of pedo bear at one point?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Trent Strong said:
Holy Code Geass! I'm on episode 11 and it's awesome. Moves at a really fast pace.
ludicrousspeed_zps448b0e27.png

Geneijin

exarkun said:
I just watched Blue Exorcist for the first time...and wow. I really like the art, pretty good pace, and the writing is actually personable. Anyone else watching it? I'm kind of surprised I enjoyed the first episode so much.

Is this show new? And you guys are always complaining about moi stuff.
Yep, a new show. Fun stuff. Hope the action will be good.

doomed1 said:
Well, it more has to do with the manufacturing and mass production of the music for the Disney Channel audience. Not that K-On didn't do that in Japan with those AWFUL live shows, I'd just like to limit it to a place and an audience I don't have to interact with on a regular basis. For K-On to go mainstream American tween, I just feel that it would end up making a mockery of the actually fantastic musicianship displayed in the music. That's actually what I love about K-On, some of my favorite episodes were the performance ones because KyoAni does such a damned good job of animating the performances and really knows how to show of the band's musicianship. This wouldn't really be upheld or uplifted by Disney. Much less if they made their own live-action show based on it...
I wouldn't want to interact with certain parts of a fandom either (we all have stories surely), but I'm surprise it bothers you to such an extent. I remember you saying something similar before too. Is it that hard to ignore them? I remember when I took chemistry in the summer during high school, and there was a sizable group of Naruto fans in my class. I chose to ignore them, but admittedly, I took notice whenever I saw them role playing and stuff.

I still have reservations on dubs in general. If that can't be done well consistently, I doubt the music will be up to par. It will be a mockery.

InfiniteNine said:
This is the internet! Someone would do it eventually.
If only that were truly true.
Still waiting on Cutey Honey Flash

Showa Monogatari - I like how they called anime "TV Manga" back then. :) I also like how they show what it looks like now, what it looked like then, and then what it looks like in anime style.

Damn, gotta wait for it to upload somewhere else. The ads on DailyMotion pop up way too much now.

flawfuls

Showa Monogatari 1

I enjoyed this a lot. It's a fairly straightforward slice of life show about a very traditional family. The random Showa nostalgia was a nice touch even though I can't relate to it in any way. The animation and direction are usually fine, but occasionally there were some really awkward looking scenes like the weird pan around the room high five and the slow motion cg food falling, but even those scenes have a goofy charm to them. It's all very relaxing and has this wholesome charm to it. I really hope they keep translating the rest of it.

MidnightScott said:
Showa Monogatari - I like how they called anime "TV Manga" back then. :) I also like how they show what it looks like now, what it looked like then, and then what it looks like in anime style.

There was one guy that called it anime so I got kind of confused as to whether they were different things or something.

Paprikka

flawfuls said:
Showa Monogatari 1

I enjoyed this a lot. It's a fairly straightforward slice of life show about a very traditional family. The random Showa nostalgia was a nice touch even though I can't relate to it in any way. The animation and direction are usually fine, but occasionally there were some really awkward looking scenes like the weird pan around the room high five and the slow motion cg food falling, but even those scenes have a goofy charm to them. It's all very relaxing and has this wholesome charm to it. I really hope they keep translating the rest of it.
That was pretty much how I felt, wrong age and nationality to fully enjoy all the nostalgia-y goodness, but still interesting.

I always love those pictures showing differences in time in the exact same place so the OP showing present, past, and animated was neat, as was the little bit after the credits giving a tour around some of the places they had in the show. Definitely yet another show I'll watch this season.

Tiger and Bunny 3:
Better than the second episode, but not as good as the first one. I'll probably keep watching for at least a couple more episodes, but the show hasn't really managed to wow me since the first episode. The last two episodes have felt so bland.

Seikon no Qwaser II Ep 2
tumblr_lk13fzxsuj1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Well the OP is starting to grow on me, couldnt resist bobbing my head to it. Although Miyuri was there at the first moment of starting the episode and nothing beyond that :( , kind of wish she would get back into the plot. Favorite moment was Alexandra and Hana and she making fun him, couldnt stop laughing for a good minute or too. Though I do need to rewatch, somehow I forgot the plot of the episode.

Geneijin

|C| - 2
The production values looked a bit more jarring this episode than the last because some scenes have the same type of CG (?) seen in Happy Kappy. Understanding the battle concepts are still as confusing for me, so I'll probably read up on them more (I should have before I watched Episode 2 but got lazy). No doubt I'll finish this show to the end though.

Joule

So I finished Giant Robo just now and where's the rest of it : ( So much story that was only alluded to. The whole Alberto/Taiso or more generally the whole struggle of the Big Fire group and the International Police.

Pouring one out for this dandy gentleman.
Sm0bF.jpg

Geneijin

AnoHana - 2
I need to borrow duckroll's power and burn my thread down. There's no fucking need for AnoHana to go there yet it did. Fucking Japan.

flawfuls

C 2

That was even uglier than the first episode. Who the hell uses CG models for human characters? Other than that it wasn't very eventful, but I'm still interested in were it will go from here.

Joule said:
So I finished Giant Robo just now and where's the rest of it : ( So much story that was only alluded to. The whole Alberto/Taiso or more generally the whole struggle of the Big Fire group and the International Police.
It's a shame there is no more as the show basically ends with "This is'nt the end". Man Giant Robo is one of the best anime titles out there. The last episode is just so dramatic and well done. I never expected the show would have so much depth in it's plot when I first looked at it's covers.

duckroll

flawfuls said:
C 2

That was even uglier than the first episode. Who the hell uses CG models for human characters? Other than that it wasn't very eventful, but I'm still interested in were it will go from here.

Oh boy, I can't wait! :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
AnoHana - 2
I need to borrow duckroll's power and burn my thread down. There's no fucking need for AnoHana to go there yet it did. Fucking Japan.
Go where exactly?

Pokemon and angst seem perfectly fine to me. :lol

flawfuls

duckroll said:
Oh boy, I can't wait! :D

It's pretty bad looking CG too and they use it do it a lot. Also they randomly switch between CG and the regular 2D way of showing the characters so you can't get used to it and it's incredibly distracting.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Geneijin said:
I wouldn't want to interact with certain parts of a fandom either (we all have stories surely), but I'm surprise it bothers you to such an extent. I remember you saying something similar before too. Is it that hard to ignore them? I remember when I took chemistry in the summer during high school, and there was a sizable group of Naruto fans in my class. I chose to ignore them, but admittedly, I took notice whenever I saw them role playing and stuff.

I still have reservations on dubs in general. If that can't be done well consistently, I doubt the music will be up to par. It will be a mockery.
Actually, it has less to do with the Otaku fanbase and more to do with the teen/tween-bopper fanbase. You see, I'm a kind of tolerant snob about many things in media (which is to say that I have a taste and strong opinions, but I respect other tastes as well even if they are unlikely to change my opinion), and music is one of those things. While I can respect and understand people's taste in music, even if I think it's crap, what I don't appreciate is the corporate abuse of music, and in the last ten years, Disney has been the biggest perpetrator of that (the second largest being Glee, the bastards). The thing is, while K-ON! would be a FANTASTIC franchise for the american teen/tween-bopper demographic, Disney would present it in a way that would maximize its capital potential, meaning blatant corporate manufacturing and marketing of the brand. This makes the franchise more about the BRAND than the MUSIC (and the interpersonal dynamics that come with making it).

Really, I'd like for the demographic to be able to enjoy it for the sake of the music and the positive relationships behind it, but no, Disney would present it for the image and the style, to support their brand. Southpark said it pretty well. That's my main concern, because I've watched how Disney Channel operates. I've watched Lindsay Lohan go from FUCKHOT Disney Channel starlet to used up crack whore, and it was so sad to me. You see, Disney at least in the US uses the properties they air to advance their image and brand with little regard for the actual quality element. The Disney Channel sells a product, and while K-On has already done this in Japan, I'd like to not have to see it here alongside Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers. It would just be an insult to the great music that came out of the show.

And where the hell is my Denpa Onna and Hidan no Aria >:|

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:

You didn't see what Yukiatsu did?
That was heavily implied in the first episode though. The tension will be that Menma brings them together as much as she tears them apart.

The fact that he's
creepy raper dude
is sort of a parallel to what happens to the main dude. One's a physical shut-in and the other is a psychological shut-in.

cosmicblizzard said:
What's the problem there? Don't know much about the show.
I don't think they're going there. The couplings are pretty much set in stone, especially since the fifth wheel has entered
celibate best bro
territory.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
cosmicblizzard said:
What's the problem there? Don't know much about the show.
Isn't it like, a body of a 15 year old mind of a 9 year old scenario? I don't remember specifically.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
That was heavily implied in the first episode though. The tension will be that Menma brings them together as much as she tears them apart.

The fact that he's
creepy raper dude
is sort of a parallel to what happens to the main dude. One's a physical shut-in and the other is a psychological shut-in.
I didn't think it would imply that. I guess I should have expected it, but I felt they could have achieved as much without that by making him a self-repressed dude.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cosmicblizzard said:
Wait, so what actually happened that Geneijin is so mad about? I'm curious.
Again, maybe I've been I9'ed, but
dude sniffs a dress or something that dead girl left behind
. I didn't think it was a big deal.

Geneijin said:
I didn't think it would imply that. I guess I should have expected it, but I felt they could have achieved as much without that by making him a self-repressed dude.
Maybe it's because I saw it all in the first episode, so I knew they were going there all along... seems perfectly reasonable to me anyway, especially since Poppo is the third bro-like example of how to deal with grief.

trejo

Great music that came out of the show? Doomed1 I sometimes get the feeling you're just trolling but the sad part is that you're probably not.

I mean, I don't really see how K-on's teeny bopper japanese garbage is any better than Disney channel's tenny bopper english garbage. But that's just me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
trejo said:
Great music that came out of the show? Doomed1 I sometimes get the feeling you're just trolling but the sad part is that you're probably not.

I mean, I don't really see how K-on's teeny bopper japanese garbage is any better than Disney channel's tenny bopper english garbage. But that's just me.
The songs are mostly moon language to me, but the Mio actress does have a great, powerful alto voice at the very least. Of course, the difference is that they're all adults as well, so there's none of that inevitable failure that is associated with the Disney stars.

Of course, at least they kind of acknowledge that their songs are mushy gooey stuff for girls.

Risette

A Good Citizen
So, AnoHana 2, watch or not?

Going by Geneijin's post I'm leaning heavily towards no and just saving my time and dropping it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aigis said:

Going by Geneijin's post I'm leaning heavily towards no and just saving my time and dropping it.
Well, if Geneijin drops the ball, I guess I'll have to pick it up. Although I prefer to be on Team Neutral. :lol

I think it's still one of the better shows of the season - it's basically nostalgia in cartoon form, but I have no doubt that the show is going to be Asian angst though. If you can deal with that, it's still worth watching.

Blue Exorcist 1:
First half of the episode was really lame, but things picked up a lot in the second half. There's not a whole lot to go on right now, but I'll keep watching. I think the set up could be pretty cool if they execute on it well, and it's not a bunch of lame 'comedy' like in the first ten minutes.

flawfuls

Aigis said:

It was a good episode, they chill and play pokemon. A certain scene upset him.
The serious male friend apparently keeps some of Menma's clothes to sniff.
It was weird and unexpected, but personally it didn't both me at all.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
I didn't think it was a big deal.
I'm not adverse to it, but I'm just upset right now they resorted to that. Very negatively. It's really my fault for not expecting this.

Edit: To elaborate a bit more, I should have a thicker skin based on the shoujo-related stuff I've seen and read, but my reaction is entirely because I had expectations set and they were not met as I intended them.

Maybe it's because I saw it all in the first episode, so I knew they were going there all along... seems perfectly reasonable to me anyway, especially since Poppo is the third bro-like example of how to deal with grief.
I speculated
the closet was like an allusion to his psychological state, which it still is, but I didn't predict it would manifest in such a form.

Well, if Geneijin drops the ball, I guess I'll have to pick it up. Although I prefer to be in Team Neutral. :lol
I won't but you won't hear me idolize it as much.

I think it's still one of the better shows of the season - it's basically nostalgia in cartoon form, but I have no doubt that the show is going to be Asian angst though. If you can deal with that, it's still worth watching.
Pretty much this. I should have better known considering the director!

Aigis said:

It's worth watching, but I'm incredibly salty about a certain development. Some problems from Episode 1 still persist in Episode 2, but it was mostly a good episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly, I think that it's less egregious than yuri bondage shower scenes anyway. But I think both are relatively tame regardless.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
Honestly, I think that it's less egregious than yuri bondage shower scenes anyway. But I think both are relatively tame regardless.
Oh definitely. It's not even egregious. It was at worse off-putting or uncomfortable.

I actually have higher expectations of AnoHana since they did this, believe it or not, but I'm still disappointed regardless.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
Oh definitely. It's not even egregious. It was at worse off-putting or uncomfortable.

I actually have higher expectations of AnoHana since they did this, believe it or not, but I'm still disappointed regardless.
At least he's not wearing a wig and pretending to be Menma himself? :lol

Denpa 2 - this show is basically Bakemono-light, but with a much more accessible pacing. I can still see people being utterly confused and turned off by the show though.

Space Runaway Ideon 13:
Man, the space combat is world's better than the planetary combat in this show. The battles would be so much cooler if they just stopped landing on random planets. This episode's fight was pretty cool, with a lot of different things going on.

It was nice to see Lotta get some rather unexpected development, and Karala continues to be the best character in the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom