• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
AnoHana 02: This is a work fiction. Any similarities to real people, places or games are purely coincidental.

trejo

Showa Monogatari 1

That dad is a real dick.

I liked the juxtaposition of pics from present, past and animated form since I'm always a sucker for that sort of thing.

Having said that, I'm afraid I couldn't finish the episode. It was just boring the hell out of me. You know it's a bad thing when you feel like an episode keeps going on forever and you keep checking to see how much of it there's left.

There's nothing really egregiously bad about the show and I do believe there is something potentially nice here for people with different tastes from mine but it is just not for me. Pity.

flawfuls

Halycon said:
AnoHana 02: This is a work fiction. Any similarities to real people, places or games are purely coincidental.

That episode was a missed product placement opportunity. The whole thing was basically a pretty compelling pokemon advertisement.

flawfuls

Denpa 2

That was a lot better than the first episode. The pacing was much better and they even threw some plot in there. I was unsure if I would stick with the show before, but after this episode I'm pretty sure I will.

Haly

flawfuls said:
That episode was a missed product placement opportunity. The whole thing was basically a pretty compelling pokemon advertisement.
Revive your dead girlfriends with the power of POKEMON.

flawfuls

Halycon said:
Revive your dead girlfriends with the power of POKEMON.

What is funny is that the main character scoffed at the idea that the girl wanted an autograph because that was not a big enough deal to make a girl rise from the dead for, but had no problems with the idea that a pokemon is what she wanted.

Geneijin

Anyway, I'm done venting about it. It was minor. Now that I am fine and dandy, the other complaints I had of AnoHana's 2nd episode were
the only moment Menma annoyed me this series by suddenly appearing between the heated conversation Naruko and Tsurumi were having, the blatant Menma fanservice, and Poppo namedropping Menma one too many times.

firehawk12 said:
At least he's not wearing a wig and pretending to be Menma himself? :lol
No. He would be a novelist and... ah, forget it. I lack finesse to finish that.

flawfuls said:
What is funny is that the main character scoffed at the idea that the girl wanted an autograph because that was not a big enough deal to make a girl rise from the dead for, but had no problems with the idea that a pokemon is what she wanted.
Have you ever tried getting a shiny Ponyta? Perfectly plausible.

Haly

Maybe Menma wanted a Shiny Milotic with perfect IVs!

No small feat without the aid of hacks!

Ezalc

C 2
Well this show just got incredibly generic and boring now. Cliche parents missing, cliche newcomer beats some experienced person in the first fight, cliche only mysterious other character was able to do that before, cliche japanese loli. Ugh I had hopes for this show.

Dresden

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Blue Exorcist 1:
First half of the episode was really lame, but things picked up a lot in the second half. There's not a whole lot to go on right now, but I'll keep watching. I think the set up could be pretty cool if they execute on it well, and it's not a bunch of lame 'comedy' like in the first ten minutes.
The first half was just something they tacked on to stretch out the source material. I didn't think it was too bad, but it did mean that not a lot actually got covered in the episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
trejo said:
Showa Monogatari 1

There's nothing really egregiously bad about the show and I do believe there is something potentially nice here for people with different tastes from mine but it is just not for me. Pity.
Yeah, it's pure nostalgia for old people since nothing really happens other than wacky family hijinks.

The child's voice is off, in that "it sounds like he is reading lines" kind of way, but I can live with that I suppose. Otherwise, fairly decent and perhaps generic slice of life/history lesson show.

Joule

Just catching up on things after all that Giant Robo.

Blue Exorcist 1: For a set up episode that was pretty good. I'm interested in seeing what happens next. I hope the show pans out well. The PVs they were promoting this how were cool enough to get me to check it out.

Maria Holic Alive 2: More amusing than the first episode but that was probably because of Tomokazu Sugita. He'll make anything more entertaining by just being there. The Infinite Stratos reference was pretty amusing too. God controlling the weather for snacks hah.

TWGoK 2: I kinda wish the ED was as creative as the first season's. I really liked that one. Other than that Kasuga's arc is done in fairly quick fashion. Not really a favourite arc but it was fine. More importantly Haqua~

Softenni 2: I guess at least it's not as entirely perverted as the other Xebec show this season. It just needs more comedy rather than everything else. Still mildly entertained. Also I hope that cow escapes every episode in an increasingly elaborate way but it probably won't happen.

Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA: Hahaha sexual jokes. The end. Really they just need more Suzu and Aria all the time.

Astarotte's Toy 2: They're dropping the lol Japan premise even faster in the anime than manga which is good. I also like how they changed up the scene with Rotte and Naoya. The plushie was a better idea than the makeshift fairy tale slide show in the manga.

Haly

I regret putting C at the center of the banner and the Hanas all the way to the side.

Who would've thought loli animu shows would turn out to be the strongest of the season?

Geneijin

Halycon said:
I regret putting C at the center of the banner and the Hanas all the way to the side.

Who would've thought loli animu shows would turn out to be the strongest of the season?
Get I9 to switch it. There are even good shots you could use from both shows.

Solune

Joule said:
TWGoK 2: I kinda wish the ED was as creative as the first season's. I really liked that one. Other than that Kasuga's arc is done in fairly quick fashion. Not really a favourite arc but it was fine. More importantly Haqua~
Indeed. Despite Dresden not being a fan of Kusunoki I enjoyed the arc overall. My guess is Haqua gets 3 eps, Nagase gets 2 eps, Chihiro gets 3 eps and we get 3 filler eps in between the arcs.

Haly

Geneijin said:
Get I9 to switch it. There are even good shots you could use from both shows.
I"ll rework it later then.

duckroll

Halycon said:

Can I request for a new banner, with X-men at the center?! :)

Haly

I'll put emoscott and tsundere logan where Hanairo and Anohana are.

Dresden

Solune said:
Indeed. Despite Dresden not being a fan of Kusunoki I enjoyed the arc overall. My guess is Haqua gets 3 eps, Nagase gets 2 eps, Chihiro gets 3 eps and we get 3 filler eps in between the arcs.
From what I remember, Haqua is a bit of a bitch when she first arrives, too. FML.

And I don't like what they did to Chihiro:

QWeBJl.jpg

from that to this:

wTRWSl.jpg

She's supposed to be the plain girl! Now she looks like every other haremette in the show.

/petty concerns

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Clannad 04 - The girl talking to him (I don't know her name, the one with the wooden star she made) is spacing out thinking about how cute that star is, so our main character... sticks his juicebox straw in her nose, planning on squirting it up there (but he's denied by her noticing the feeling so he had to quickly pull back)? Ah... yeah, he's messed up. Also, male friend continues to be a moron. Now that girl is depressed because of how she thought she was acting like a normal girl, but isn't. And then we get it confirmed that his friend is a moron again (believing the bread story)... but of course, why IS the main character doing so much to help the main girl? It isn't for the bread for sure, so it must be because he likes her whether he admits it or not. Given how long this series is though, and that it's harem too, I doubt that plotline will exactly move very fast. After that, some amusing but again not that nice humor (getting the girl to come by saying "there's someone who likes you"? MC is cruel...). And finally, so this show has a character with Ayu's backstory too? Being original, aren't you, Key... except this is making it obvious way sooner than Kanon does. She isn't the main female character in this one though, so I guess that makes sense.
Was this the episode where he calls that little girl, Kyou's sister, Ryou I think, up to the roof to talk to Nagisa and she thinks she's going to ask her out or something? I kinda liked that part. I know, I'm a bad person. I also actually like Clannad's main character, Tomoya at times, when he's emo he sucks but when he's trolling people he's fun, if he'd just be like that all the time instead of feeling lame and useless all the time he'd have been cool.
A Black Falcon said:
Also, on the lists note, my list for this season, so far. Mostly based on the first episodes.

The order for the first two is tentative, 12 eps vs. 2+1 OVA isn't a fair comparison.
(good)
1. Nichijou (easily the best new show this season)
2. Gosick (it's 24-26 episodes, so it can count I think...)
(medium, will see)
3. Hanasaku Iroha
4. Dog Days
5. Softenni
(definitely poor so far)
6. Hen Zemi (the OVAs are quite a bit better than TV ep. 1)
7. A-Channel
(worst easily)
8. Sengoku Otome (Battle Maidens: Time Paradox)
This is like the worst list I have ever seen, I didn't think it was possible to make a list this bad this season as I felt there was more than enough average to good shows but somehow you've managed to miss all the good ones sans Iroha, that's....impressive.
A Black Falcon said:
So basically, you dislike the ways that anime expresses sexual interest, like nosebleeds, etc? I find that stuff stupid too, but that's cultural difference as much as anything; those things aren't familiar to us as love myths so they just look stupid. I'm sure that's different for Japanese people.

That's not entirely a defense, a lot of it is indefensibly stupid, but that is a partial reason.
Love myths? Like what, a stork? I don't get it. Anyways, it's not just the nose bleeds, it's everything, the treat their nudity and sexual situations as something to be done with a checklist and they're almost all stupid. I know there's probably always been shows like this but now it seems to be in everything. I'm sure 10 years from now they'll make something as serious as Sword and the Stranger and that guy'll get a nosebleed fighting a female adversary, it's just constantly getting dumber. But that's partly beside the point, it's that they're never realistic, I'm not talking cheesy lines or the shit you'll find in western movies, everything is off, making it seem like it's forced, which it usually is, which makes it manipulative and pisses me off. Like I said, if someone wanted to make a show with kids that have sex but at least approached it with the same maturity as the kids in the story I wouldn't care. Really. I know there's two camps when it comes to nudity and kids, those who won't have any of it and those who are more, shall I say, realistic that acknowledge it's there and won't write something off just because it has that, I'm usually in the latter. There's western movies that deal with this stuff too. We were all that age once before, kids are that age now, everyone knows how it goes, no need to hide it. But when they approach it form this weird angle that they do it's clear it's not for any real reason at all, it is pandering in a weird way. That's fucking creepy. And in shows that don't show anything but handle it idiotically, it's well, idiotic. So, sure, some of it probably is cultural but I do have a hard time believing there's a ton of kids OR adults that pass out if a girl excites him, it's stupid, I doubt anyone but the small nerd population identifies with this stuff. So while it may be cultural it's probable a sub culture's of the main culture culture and they're being pandered to and for some reason get the majority of the attention by the studios.
Joule said:
Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA: Hahaha sexual jokes. The end. Really they just need more Suzu and Aria all the time.
This is the most offensively bad comedy I have ever seen. It tries so hard and so often and just always fails. Always. Not even a laugh track would make it better, it's just so bad.
Dresden said:

QWeBJl.jpg

from that to this:

wTRWSl.jpg

She's supposed to be the plain girl! Now she looks like every other haremette in the show.

/petty concerns
Lol, she looks like a Snake or some shit in the top pic!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Otona Joshi no Anime Time: Take a Harlequin romance novel plot and throw in some mono no aware. I'm not sure if I liked it or not, but I wish there was more of it because of how different it felt from all the animu that I watch. Mature (actually mature!!!!) themes and characters, plus a story that doesn't try to bombard you with too much angst... I'm actually shocked at how restrained it was, considering where it goes.

Random image dumps - they seemed to do some kind of weird rotoscoping/filter thing on the backgrounds... I want to say it looks like they shot the backgrounds in live action and then mucked with them, but I'm not sure:

jqbc4m.jpg

oOosbm.jpg

Also, there's hot finger on finger action:

72Huxm.jpg

9Qg5Am.jpg

And of course, mono no aware!
cOYJWm.jpg

wUsiam.jpg

It's too bad it was a one shot, because I'd love to see more... but then again, I figure 30-something women have better things to do. :(

The futile search for mature anime continues!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
A-Channel 3
I'm actually glad I didn't skip this. The periphery characters are FAR more interesting than the sort-of-goofy lesbian romcom that's not nearly as present I was hoping for after the first episode (though more present than last episode). Dr. Epileptic Forehead Fetishist was brilliant (where the fuck did that combination come from lol?) and the half-blind stalker chick is also amusing. And I've now determined that Run's only purpose in the show is to be a massive moron without any redeeming elements. Sort of disappointing, but expected. Might give it ONE last try if it can keep it's periphery characters fresh...

Dresden said:
The first half was just something they tacked on to stretch out the source material. I didn't think it was too bad, but it did mean that not a lot actually got covered in the episode.

Yeah, I figured as much. It wasn't terrible, but it felt really generic. Hopefully, the future episodes won't have as much of that padding in it.

I'm just not sure why they felt the need for that in a show that is only planned for a short run.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Yeah, I figured as much. It wasn't terrible, but it felt really generic. Hopefully, the future episodes won't have as much of that padding in it.

I'm just not sure why they felt the need for that in a show that is only planned for a short run.

Supposedly its gonna be a 25 ep season. Is there enough material for that?

Infinite Justice said:
Its supposedly gonna be a 25 ep season. Is there enough material for that?

Well, I haven't read the manga, but it's monthly and there's already 25 chapters out, so that should be about enough material right now, unless the chapters are really short.

Dresden

Infinite Justice said:
Its supposedly gonna be a 25 ep season. Is there enough material for that?
There's about 24 chapters out right now, and by the end of the 25-ep run there should be more than enough.

That said I have a feeling they'll cut the anime off before the start of the Kyoto arc, so they might try to use 16 or so chapters for two seasons. Who knows.

Hellsing321 said:
Well thats over. Now what?
Enma has a magical girl, and she doesn't wear any clothes. Win-win if you ask me.

Solune

Dresden said:
From what I remember, Haqua is a bit of a bitch when she first arrives, too. FML.

*hilarious comparison*

/petty concerns
Well Haqua IS a tsundere, but when she's dere <3. See chapter 138-139 /end Shameless plug.
And Chihiro is so bleh, she's as bad as friendzone girl from OreImo. The only girl that matters is Yui Goido, which we will never see animated.

Jex

Dresden said:
I'm just glad I didn't make a thread about C.
I'm glad no-one did.
Geneijin said:
AnoHana - 2
I need to borrow duckroll's power and burn my thread down. There's no fucking need for AnoHana to go there yet it did. Fucking Japan.
The universe has collapsed!

Jex

Aigis said:
Yikes at CG people in C EP2. Not sure how much longer I can defend this.
Defending the show is different from defending the CG. I'm waiting for people to come in and tell me it isn't ugly, like last time.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Jexhius said:
Defending the show is different from defending the CG. I'm waiting for people to come in and tell me it isn't ugly, like last time.
I'm definitely not defending the CG at all but I mean the show as a whole. Shit's cheaper than a SHAFT show and I give them a lot of shit for being cheap.

Maybe they'll pull a SHAFT and make it unugly for the disc release? :D ?

:(

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Well I'll be damned...

Madoka's 3rd Episode was actually interesting and good. Erm... ok will watch. XD!!!

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Well, I haven't read the manga, but it's monthly and there's already 25 chapters out, so that should be about enough material right now, unless the chapters are really short.

Dresden said:
There's about 24 chapters out right now, and by the end of the 25-ep run there should be more than enough.

That said I have a feeling they'll cut the anime off before the start of the Kyoto arc, so they might try to use 16 or so chapters for two seasons. Who knows.

Enma has a magical girl, and she doesn't wear any clothes. Win-win if you ask me.

Not fully sure about that ep thing but 25 chapters is kinda cutting it close and i could see why they added some filler.

@ bold: Yea she's the character i'm waiting for :p

[C] 2

MICRO!

Wow, that was pretty cool. It's like a mix of Gash Bell and Yu-gi-oh with money. Can't wait to learn more about the rules. Also like the thing with the black money. The CG people didn't bother me at all since they aren't like that in the cool world.

Well now that Madoka is over I can say confidently that Wandering Son was the best show from last season. It'll likely end up the best of the year for me.

Jex

Aigis said:
I'm definitely not defending the CG at all but I mean the show as a whole. Shit's cheaper than a SHAFT show and I give them a lot of shit for being cheap.

Maybe they'll pull a SHAFT and make it unugly for the disc release? :D ?

:(
I wonder what's the deal with [C]. I mean, really. I don't get how it came to be, or how it's been directed by Nakamura. It's just weird.
Geneijin said:
Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom