• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cosmicblizzard said:
Was that fun + equation I've already forgotten supposed to be from Steins;Gate or C?
It's from the science series so Steins;Gate AND I'M GONING TO FUCKING KILL DUCKROLL!?!2jkdfsngfslkdxfg,mxdfccxnmc

Dresden

InfiniteNine said:
It's from the science series so Steins;Gate AND I'M GONING TO FUCKING KILL DUCKROLL!?!2jkdfsngfslkdxfg,mxdfccxnmc
eH286l.jpg

Calm down, man. No need to kill him (yet).

jman2050

Jexhius said:
Indeed. No-one is posting about it here (the separate threads work!) but it's been very well received.

I'd describe it by saying it's not the best ending to anything ever but at the very least the month and a half long wait was well worth it.

Jex

[C] 2

I'm still enjoying this show, actually.

Also, it's pretty clear that you win by having a cute girl as your asset, even if all her limbs get crushed.

Instro

So what kind of wacky hijinks have lead to I9 wanting to kill Duckroll?

Anyway, I watched all of Bakemonogatari during the week, pretty cool show. On the downside, its a bit dialogue heavy and slow at times, also the constant quick cuts can really get annoying since they are used so much during regular dialogue although there were times when it was used pretty well especially for comedic effect. On the other hand its a really nice looking show, and I liked most of the characters as well. The main guy and girl were actually a pretty good duo throughout, which made for some pretty great moments during the show. Even though the dialogue gets a bit overbearing at times, its all pretty well written so I never really felt like I was losing interest plus there were some really solid action scenes to break it all up particularly the ones involving
monkey arm girl.

Overall though I really liked the show though so Im totally down for any anime adaptions of other books in the series. It sounds like the prequel novel is a bit more action oriented so that could be good.

Denpa 2

There is absolutely no reason for me to like this show, but I do for some reason. Huge fan of eccentric characters and these people are pretty damn eccentric.

maruchan

AnoHana - 2

hmm okay i already see the ending... memma's wish was that they remain friends forever.. and each ep will be little steps, until they all reconcile and become best friends again, and remember that their lost friend was the person that kept their group together...

trejo

C 2

What's up with the awkward CG? Tiger & Bunny has way better CG than this.

Show's still pretty damn ugly but it's got my interest so I don't really mind too much.

And that is not how I would pronounce Msyu.

The Twelve Kingdoms 20-22 - This (19-22) was the worst disc of this series by far, so far... ugh.

20 - Finally, the end of Taiki's story! No real ending here though, just an "and his troubles continued, and somehow bad stuff happened, and he's still in Earth and doesn't know it". Do they ever actually resolve this, if it doesn't return full time to his story? They had plenty of time, but decide to make his arc glacially slow instead of actually keeping up any kind of pace, so instead of actually getting through it they only get partway and then quit... great.

21 - What, it's not over? Oh, a RECAP episode? Of Taiki's arc? Who thought THAT was a good idea? Beginning-of-episode recaps are one thing, but an entire episode that is a recap, mixed with a few bits of new info so I couldn't just skip the whole thing... THIS is a recap that I agree with you about really disliking. Awful, just awful.

22 - So we finally return to Youko's story! Great! But wait, nothing happens in this episode. Instead it's about Youko and her troubles with being a queen now in a world she doesn't understand, and the mouse guy's troubles at scholar school. Very slow episode and nothing happens. Amazingly enough I think episode 19 was actually the best one on this disc, and that's saying something... There were some good things about this episode, it sets some backstory and provides more information about the world, but this series is just so uninteresting sometimes when nothing happens for so long... there are good shows where nothing happens and it works well, but this isn't one of them.

As for the actual plot though, not surprised to see Youko and her ministers having issues. On that note, this episode did a good job of making me dislike monarchies (though of course I did already). In my opinion they need a revolution, democracy > monarchy! :)

mAcOdIn said:
Well Youko's boss but I like one of the side characters introduced in the next arc almost as much. Granted, Escaflowne doesn't have anything like this but Escaflowne also is pretty shit as far as the world and characterization goes, Escaflowne's like a ride not a story, they just move and move and move.
Escaflowne actually has good pacing, a fast-moving plot, a story that stays good throughout, etc... Twelve Kingdoms doesn't have those things. Sure when it's good it's good, but when it's not, not so much. And so far there's a bit too much of the latter.

I mean, it is a good show, but it has its problems.

Everything in balance, eh?
No, Clannad's a bit better than I was remembering (and I didn't watch it even this far anyway). The Twelve Kingdoms is certainly better, but Clannad's not that bad.

mAcOdIn said:
Was this the episode where he calls that little girl, Kyou's sister, Ryou I think, up to the roof to talk to Nagisa and she thinks she's going to ask her out or something? I kinda liked that part. I know, I'm a bad person. I also actually like Clannad's main character, Tomoya at times, when he's emo he sucks but when he's trolling people he's fun, if he'd just be like that all the time instead of feeling lame and useless all the time he'd have been cool.
Yes, this is indeed that episode. I don't really like that stuff, being mean like that isn't nice... sure sometimes it's amusing, but it's not right. So continues to often be either irrationally angry or acting like that? Great.

This is like the worst list I have ever seen, I didn't think it was possible to make a list this bad this season as I felt there was more than enough average to good shows but somehow you've managed to miss all the good ones sans Iroha, that's....impressive.
So I decided to watch the first episodes of a bunch of stupid shows... yeah, it's true. But in my defense I haven't been able to watch anything new in a while... once I do I'll be sure to fix that by watching Lotte no Omocha. :p ... Well, I'll watch AnoHana at least. What other good ones are you referring to though, other than that?

Love myths? Like what, a stork? I don't get it.
No, I meant things that our culture uses as romance/love references which aren't based on fact -- hearts as a love symbol for instance would probably be a good one, for our culture. And the heart shape for that matter.

Anyways, it's not just the nose bleeds, it's everything, the treat their nudity and sexual situations as something to be done with a checklist and they're almost all stupid. I know there's probably always been shows like this but now it seems to be in everything. I'm sure 10 years from now they'll make something as serious as Sword and the Stranger and that guy'll get a nosebleed fighting a female adversary, it's just constantly getting dumber. But that's partly beside the point, it's that they're never realistic, I'm not talking cheesy lines or the shit you'll find in western movies, everything is off, making it seem like it's forced, which it usually is, which makes it manipulative and pisses me off. Like I said, if someone wanted to make a show with kids that have sex but at least approached it with the same maturity as the kids in the story I wouldn't care. Really. I know there's two camps when it comes to nudity and kids, those who won't have any of it and those who are more, shall I say, realistic that acknowledge it's there and won't write something off just because it has that, I'm usually in the latter. There's western movies that deal with this stuff too. We were all that age once before, kids are that age now, everyone knows how it goes, no need to hide it. But when they approach it form this weird angle that they do it's clear it's not for any real reason at all, it is pandering in a weird way. That's fucking creepy. And in shows that don't show anything but handle it idiotically, it's well, idiotic. So, sure, some of it probably is cultural but I do have a hard time believing there's a ton of kids OR adults that pass out if a girl excites him, it's stupid, I doubt anyone but the small nerd population identifies with this stuff. So while it may be cultural it's probable a sub culture's of the main culture culture and they're being pandered to and for some reason get the majority of the attention by the studios.

Ah. Yeah, you're mostly right -- it is very juvenile. I don't know why anime decided that being so juvenile is the right thing to do, but by now it's such a long-held thing that I doubt it's going to change anytime soon...

I'm not so sure that things are getting worse, though. Stupid, fanservicey junk has been around for decades. Maybe in some ways it's getting worse, but in others it always was like this.

But yeah, I agree that compared to Western things the way anime usually treats romance and such is pretty weird, so, so juvenile and ridiculous... it's the style they use, but it is kind of odd. Part of it is about the audience though, they think the audience doesn't want anything more than that. That makes sense for some stuff -- that would most likely be accurate for stuff for the younger male audience -- but not for everything, and it is like that in way too much stuff.

But still, some of it IS cultural differences -- we have ours, they have theirs like nosebleeds and fainting. I don't know enough to say whether that's something that's just for the anime subculture though, versus something that applies more widely to Japanese culture; that is a good question, I agree. You well might be right, but I'm not certain.

Jex

trejo said:
C 2

What's up with the awkward CG? Tiger & Bunny has way better CG than this.

Show's still pretty damn ugly but it's got my interest so I don't really mind too much.

And that is not how I would pronounce Msyu.
The CG people is the worst bit. So awkward.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
AnoHana 02, Really cute episode. Definitely looking to be my favorite for the season.
C 02, Digging it still.

I think I hit my peak with following 5 shows this season. Iroha, AnoHana, C, Tiger and Bunny, and Yaoi Bait Show I can't spell the name too.

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
The Twelve Kingdoms 20-22 - This (19-22) was the worst disc of this series by far, so far... ugh.
It is the worst disc for sure.
A Black Falcon said:
20 - Finally, the end of Taiki's story! No real ending here though, just an "and his troubles continued, and somehow bad stuff happened, and he's still in Earth and doesn't know it". Do they ever actually resolve this, if it doesn't return full time to his story? They had plenty of time, but decide to make his arc glacially slow instead of actually keeping up any kind of pace, so instead of actually getting through it they only get partway and then quit... great.
No, this arc never gets resolved in the anime, I don't know about the books.
A Black Falcon said:
21 - What, it's not over? Oh, a RECAP episode? Of Taiki's arc? Who thought THAT was a good idea? Beginning-of-episode recaps are one thing, but an entire episode that is a recap, mixed with a few bits of new info so I couldn't just skip the whole thing... THIS is a recap that I agree with you about really disliking. Awful, just awful.
I always complained about the recap episodes from day one so I agree.
A Black Falcon said:
Escaflowne actually has good pacing, a fast-moving plot, a story that stays good throughout, etc... Twelve Kingdoms doesn't have those things. Sure when it's good it's good, but when it's not, not so much. And so far there's a bit too much of the latter.
Well Escaflowne had "good" pacing at the expense of a good story while the Twelve Kingdoms has a good story many times at the expense of pacing.

But anyways, you're at the best arc now.
A Black Falcon said:
Yes, this is indeed that episode. I don't really like that stuff, being mean like that isn't nice... sure sometimes it's amusing, but it's not right. So continues to often be either irrationally angry or acting like that? Great.
Stupid starfish girl gets the most of his hokes so after her that part of him dies down a little and we get more emo guy.
A Black Falcon said:
So I decided to watch the first episodes of a bunch of stupid shows... yeah, it's true. But in my defense I haven't been able to watch anything new in a while... once I do I'll be sure to fix that by watching Lotte no Omocha. :p ... Well, I'll watch AnoHana at least. What other good ones are you referring to though, other than that?
God I hope Lotte no Omacha's a joke! I dunno, I'd rather be watching Maria+Holic and Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko but I guess my real problem was that you actually ranked the crap, I'd have just left everything that sucked off. If it's a list of what you've seen it's sad but understandable but if it's actually ranked and you got enjoyment out of all of them it's scary.
A Black Falcon said:
No, I meant things that our culture uses as romance/love references which aren't based on fact -- hearts as a love symbol for instance would probably be a good one, for our culture. And the heart shape for that matter.
Totally different! It'd be comparable if our cartoons all featured teens getting shot by cupid with arrows and shit when they hook up but we don't have any of that nonsense, it makes little sense to compare a benign, stationary heart shape to an visual action. I don't think we have anything comparable.
A Black Falcon said:
Ah. Yeah, you're mostly right -- it is very juvenile. I don't know why anime decided that being so juvenile is the right thing to do, but by now it's such a long-held thing that I doubt it's going to change anytime soon...
It doesn't even reach juvenile level, really. Since it doesn't even reach a kid's level it does make it seem like pandering to just crazy perverts.
A Black Falcon said:
I'm not so sure that things are getting worse, though. Stupid, fanservicey junk has been around for decades. Maybe in some ways it's getting worse, but in others it always was like this.
It's the idiotic breaking of the third wall, you wanna show someone's boobs fucking write a scene for it, don't just show them.
A Black Falcon said:
But still, some of it IS cultural differences -- we have ours, they have theirs like nosebleeds and fainting. I don't know enough to say whether that's something that's just for the anime subculture though, versus something that applies more widely to Japanese culture; that is a good question, I agree. You well might be right, but I'm not certain.
But what exactly is our culture here? What do we have remotely similar to nosebleeds? Or fainting? Hmm. And I'll readily admit I'm ignorant however I currently refuse to believe that these are really widely accepted cultural expressions in Japan. The sheer amount of stuff without it in all the other mediums implies that to the greater Japan all these things are silly so it being so prevalent in Anime and Manga is weird, so I'm going to also go out and go on a limb and again say they're appealing to a certain narrow demographic with these, as you say, cultural expressions, when if they were truly universal they should be in everything.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyways, watched Denpa 2, was decent, seems like this is going to be pretty much Arakawa in school which I'm fine with but I guess I'll have to wait and see if it overstays it's welcome like Arakawa did.

Now to catch up on all this other stuff.

Steroyd

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai - 02

Did... that guy just sniff a dead girls panties!? o_O

And I think shoulder blush is a new one.

Jex

Denpa 2

Sure is SHAFT/Outsiders/moe/boring in here! Dropping this straight down a well.

Hyouge Mono 2

I'm still enjoying this, even with the rather poor direction. Most of the time it isn't that bad, but the sound-mix in one scene really spoiled the mood. Other than that, I'll definitely be keeping up with this show.

Kettch

Denpa 2

The lead guy continues to kill the show, I don't think it's possible to make him less interesting.

Denpa girl is still quite amusing, glad she got back in the futon. Girly Kyubey is a bit weird to listen to now. And costume girl seems quirky enough to be decent.

I'm in until the show decides on what route it's taking at least.

Jex

Ano Hana 2

This episode sure smells good. Mhmm. Delicious.

But seriously, this is a well made show. In now way does it violate copyrights.

TxdoHawk

Question: I watched Kiki's Delivery Service last week and this has been bugging me.

Maybe it's different in the subs (the person I watched it with is part of the HURF TOO HARD TO READ crowd and therefore we watched the dub), but I noticed at the end of the movie that
her cat is still meowing to her, which implies to me that she still can't understand him.
Is this intentional? I took it to symbolize that
Kiki still hasn't worked out all of her problems, but that's a normal part of growing up.

Branduil

TxdoHawk said:
Question: I watched Kiki's Delivery Service last week and this has been bugging me.

Maybe it's different in the subs (the person I watched it with is part of the HURF TOO HARD TO READ crowd and therefore we watched the dub), but I noticed at the end of the movie that
her cat is still meowing to her, which implies to me that she still can't understand him.
Is this intentional? I took it to symbolize that
Kiki still hasn't worked out all of her problems, but that's a normal part of growing up.
Yep.

/XX/

7Th said:
From the National Film Board Of Canada website (http://www.nfb.ca/), the English version of the first trailer and also the second one:

Muybridge's Strings (Trailer)
http://www.nfb.ca/film/muybridges_strings_trailer

Muybridge's Strings (Trailer 2)
http://www.nfb.ca/film/muybridges_strings_trailer_2

The problem is that maybe we won't be able to see this animated short in a long time, because the National Film Board Of Canada (NFB) usually makes recently produced animated shorts exclusive to their NFB Mediatheque in Toronto, Canada, and other affiliated centers, or present them on various film festivals before uploading it to their database for the free-of-charge online release. As an example, Runaway by Cordell Barker was made available online more than a year after its world premiere at the 2009 edition of the International Critics’ Week celebrated in Cannes, France.

However, this short is only produced in part by the NFB, so I can't be sure when they'll made it available.

trejo

Denpa Onna 2

Erio is gross. Take a goddamn shower you pig!

Still gonna watch it cause I find it entertaining and I like that pretty much everyone in the show so far seems kinda insane in some way or another.

duckroll

Not going to bump the X-men thread until I've seen it in HD, but...

X-men ep4

As expected this is a solid and totally unique episode done by web-style animators. Similar to certain episodes of Naruto, or the general style of Noein and Birdy Decode, the art in the episode is not particularly consistent with the rest of the series, but has it's own distinct style. The animation flows well, and there are VERY creative camera angles and general direction thanks to Niho's storyboards and Ikehata's direction.

Two particular types of scenes stand out in the episode. Firstly the action sequences are pretty awesome, with lots of dynamic camera movement, morphing effects, and great motion flair. Secondly, the character scenes have a good degree of naunce in the body language and general motion.

I'm not sure if regular viewers will enjoy the episode as much as I did (even the script is much more interesting than the previous episode though, so it's definitely a step up), but being a fan of unique styles of animation and experimentation, this episode made me VERY happy. :D

Cwarrior

Ano hana ep2
Missed opportunity for product placement ninpendo

Its funny how they came to the conclusion that menma rise from the dead for her rare pokemon.

Good episode,I was expecting for something terrible to happen after Geneijin comment but it wasn't so bad.

Smelling dead girls dress smh guys got problems

hamchan

Ano Hana 2

Good episode. Looks like they're slowly getting the gang back together. Skirting the edge of copyright was quite hilarious. I kinda expect the last episode of this show to make me cry.

I'm slowly being swayed to Team Ano Hana after this good episode and Iroha's weird 3rd episode! To be fair though I'll give Ano Hana 3 eps as well :D

C The Money of Possibility and Soul Control 2

I agree with the people saying the art in the financial district is pretty damn ugly. Story seems pretty interesting though. Also good to see the main character get kinda freaked out because I thought he was too chill in the first ep. When all this weird crap is happening to you screaming is the appropriate reaction.

flawfuls

Jexhius said:
Hyouge Mono 2

I'm still enjoying this, even with the rather poor direction. Most of the time it isn't that bad, but the sound-mix in one scene really spoiled the mood. Other than that, I'll definitely be keeping up with this show.

Yeah the dramatic music in this show is absolutely terrible and they put it in at the wrong time both episodes. Other than that episode 2 was great. It's already past what I've read of the manga and it's much more entertaining when you don't know what is going to happen. I'm pretty stoked that we get three seasons of this.

Cwarrior

C ep2(maybe the C stands for cliché?)

GogglesSimpsons.gif

Putting the visuals aside, the show is so cliché, the idea sounds interesting on paper but the execution is sadly disappointing.

I was hoping the virtual fight is where this anime will shine but I was mistaken it makes yugioh 3d bike racing look good right about now.

ok the 3d sucks really bad but the worse part is, so does the 2d

Ezalc

Hyougemono 2

Oh man I love the protagonist's ridiculous faces and when he goes into his aesthete appreciation mode. This show is great, the OP and ED are amazing as well.

Dresden

Ezalc said:
Hyougemono 2

Oh man I love the protagonist's ridiculous faces and when he goes into his aesthete appreciation mode. This show is great, the OP and ED are amazing as well.
I wonder how the show would've turned out with a competent studio behind it.

But yeah, I'm enjoying it. Sasuke is amazing.

Ano Hana 2:
Well, that was unexpected. I didn't really expect this show to go and spend its second episode on Pokemon. This series seems kind of aimless right now.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Ano Hana 2:
Well, that was unexpected. I didn't really expect this show to go and spend its second episode on Pokemon. This series seems kind of aimless right now.
It seems to be following the rule that the main character has a missing parent who came from some species of brainless humanoids, which has a devastating effect on the child's capability to use logic or reason.

flawfuls

Dresden said:
I wonder how the show would've turned out with a competent studio behind it.

But yeah, I'm enjoying it. Sasuke is amazing.

To be honest I think I would prefer this 39 episode adaptation by Bee Train to an unfinished adaptation by someone more competent. I mean there are problems, but they aren't doing a terrible job and the show still looks better than episode 2 of C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom