• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzi

Saw the first episodes of:

Tiger & Bunny - good stuff
Deadman Wonderland - liked it, has the potential to turn into crap (don't know anything about the manga)
C - seems fun, I'm intrigued

Already mentioned that I liked Ao no Exorcist and Stein's Gate.
Need to watch Toriko, Dororon Enma-Kun and Hanasaku Iroha next. I'm thinking about giving X-Men a shot.
So far this seems like a pretty decent season, much better than the last one.

Jex

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Ano Hana 2:
Well, that was unexpected. I didn't really expect this show to go and spend its second episode on Pokemon. This series seems kind of aimless right now.
I don't think it can really be called aimless. In the first episode the set up the situation where all these people have drifted apart. In episode two they start to come together. That's like, direct progress that perfectly encapsulates the predicament set up in the beginning.

Jexhius said:
I don't think it can really be called aimless. In the first episode the set up the situation where all these people have drifted apart. In episode two they start to come together. That's like, direct progress that perfectly encapsulates the predicament set up in the beginning.

Yeah, aimless is probably the wrong way to describe it. It just feels to me like the show doesn't know what it wants to be tonally. The first episode felt like it wanted to be more of a drama show, while this episode felt a lot more like a silly comedy.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The pokemon thing was too blatant. It would be better if they just alluded to it (even if the idea is pretty silly) but it was pretty much a 20 minute ad.

It didn't fit the show's intent, that was the main problem.

And so soon after Black/White, it's impossible to look at it as anything but a silly parody.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If it was an ad, they would have said Pokemon. :lol

Besides, the link cable was the metaphor. They connect their GBA SPs together but they're also connecting their hearts together!!!!!! (Yeah, heavy handed :p).

Jex

I really don't see why playing pokemon counts as a silly parody. At all. I mean, they renamed everything for legal reasons, but apart from that everything was pretty much accurate.

Playing pokemon is a pretty universal human experience by this point, its something that the vast majority of viewers will have experienced. They've been making them for years and they're played by countless millions of children. Therefore, playing old pokemon from back in the day with link cables=nostalgia. And this show is all about nostalgia for a childhood that has been lost. It makes perfect sense.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Jexhius said:
Pokemon Clone was just a tool being used. Something you played as a kid, bringing back those memories of when you were together. Nor was it completely out of context for the characters either to get into it. Poppo seems to be very excitable and childish in a way, where it would be something he would suggest and enjoy. He believed Jinta without a doubt(Or at least is playing along to help him). Jinta is still a shut-in(Fairly passive), and probably got taken along by Poppo's excitement. While Naruko clearly has feeling still for Jinta and again, shows to get caught in the moment too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
shintoki said:
Pokemon Clone was just a tool being used. Something you played as a kid, bringing back those memories of when you were together. Nor was it completely out of context for the characters either to get into it. Poppo seems to be very excitable and childish in a way, where it would be something he would suggest and enjoy. He believed Jinta without a doubt(Or at least is playing along to help him). Jinta is still a shut-in(Fairly passive), and probably got taken along by Poppo's excitement. While Naruko clearly has feeling still for Jinta and again, shows to get caught in the moment too.
It's implied that creepy raper boy is the one who suggested Nokemon to Poppo though.

Certainly it sounds like something a creepy raper boy would remember about the Girl of His Dreams (tm).

hamchan said:
C The Money of Possibility and Soul Control 2

I agree with the people saying the art in the financial district is pretty damn ugly. Story seems pretty interesting though. Also good to see the main character get kinda freaked out because I thought he was too chill in the first ep. When all this weird crap is happening to you screaming is the appropriate reaction.

I thought he seemed to start panicking at the end of the first episode when he tried to take out 10K. Anyway, just done with episode 1, the story seems interesting, the main character too, Hanabi only going out with the spoiled boyfriend seems like a possibility and already makes me dislike her. Animation is wonky, though the glimpse of a psuedo card battle system seems interesting. Opening song is terrible, ending song is hot.

Haly

Ah okay. I thought he raped Menma or something and I missed it.

Jex

Instro said:
Ano Hana 2

Was solid, except for the dude sniffing panties of little dead girls. Creepy.
Pretty sure it's a skirt. That's like, still very creepy, but an improvement.

So far no-one's brought up the real problem with this episode. Anaru didn't slap dat' bitch when she had the perfect opportunity to do so. If every there was a good reason to deliver justice, it was then.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:

So far no-one's brought up the real problem with this episode. Anaru didn't slap dat' bitch when she had the perfect opportunity to do so. If every there was a good reason to deliver justice, it was then.
Haughty girl? Anaru got owned by her pretty hard.

It's just that you can't freeze frame a verbal slap Oniisama e... style.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Haughty girl? Anaru got owned by her pretty hard.

It's just that you can't freeze frame a verbal slap Oniisama e... style.
Dezaki could have done it. Sadly, he is no longer with us to deliver the greatest slaps known to anime :(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
firehawk12 said:
He sniffs the dresses of dead girls.
It's not entirely unusual for people to keep stuff of the dead they loved. The sniffing part would fall on the weird side, but I think people are putting way too much negative emphasis on it.

Cwarrior

Jexhius said:

that blue hair girl just told it like it is,none of it was untrue and am sure anaru know she would have got her ass handed to her.

she sure got owned hard,i lol when she started crying in the middle of street in a ball.

Jex

Just so you folks stop character assassinating this guy:

creepycharacter.jpg

See. Wholesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
shintoki said:
It's not entirely unusual for people to keep stuff of the dead they loved. The sniffing part would fall on the weird side, but I think people are putting way too much negative emphasis on it.
I realized that the reason it didn't phase me was that on Body of Proof, they had a girl sniff her dead sister's scarf. So, I suppose that's what people do with dead people's clothes these days.

I just like calling him creepy raper dude. :lol

Haly

How would it still keep its scent after years in a teenage boy's musty closet?

Anyway at least he didn't put it on and parade around in front of a mirror going "Jintan jintan!"

Jex

This isn't so wholesome though. I mean, ghosts don't need to take a bath:

lesswholesome.jpg

Still, at least it wasn't panty shots like [C].

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:
I realized that the reason it didn't phase me was that on Body of Proof, they had a girl sniff her dead sister's scarf. So, I suppose that's what people do with dead people's clothes these days.

I just like calling him creepy raper dude. :lol

Two big issues with creepy raper dude.

He's not related (?) So how the fuck did he get what looked like the skirt she last wore when she died.

Why is he sniffing a 10 year old-ish dead girls skirt when he's 15/16.

I actually thought it was a solid episode (Ghost girl taking a bath and eating food aside), but I was taken aback a little bit by creepy raper dude.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
Two big issues with creepy raper dude.

He's not related (?) So how the fuck did he get what looked like the skirt she last wore when she died.

Why is he sniffing a 10 year old-ish dead girls skirt when he's 15/16.

I actually thought it was a solid episode (Ghost girl taking a bath and eating food aside), but I was taken aback a little bit by creepy raper dude.
I'm assuming we'll get into his story and he'll have a perfectly good reason why he has her skirt and whatnot. Keep in mind, all the characters are psychologically damaged in some way. It's just that creepy raper dude is creepy because he represses his psychosis (or whatever you want to call it).

I'm also assuming he didn't take that skirt from her dead body anyway. :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
Oh wait, so now you're giving him the benefit of the doubt?
I'm thinking the show would be much darker if the police assumed the girl was sexually assaulted when she died. :p

flawfuls said:
He was sniffing it to check for the scent of blood. It all makes sense.
He's trying to find the true killer!

----

I wonder if the show is saying something about class. The emotionally repressed people are more successful, but they end up being creepy raper dudes and psycho bitches. The people who are able to express their emotions end up being lower class failures, but they have more fun.

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:
I'm assuming we'll get into his story and he'll have a perfectly good reason why he has her skirt and whatnot. Keep in mind, all the characters are psychologically damaged in some way. It's just that creepy raper dude is creepy because he represses his psychosis (or whatever you want to call it).

I'm also assuming he didn't take that skirt from her dead body anyway. :lol

Can there even be a "perfectly good reason" to how he's supressing his trauma lol.

Jex

Jintan could totally prove that Menma is a real ghost, rather than just a hallucination. He could do it any time, but he doesn't. This kind of thing annoys a certain part of my brain that picks holes in plots.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
Can there even be a "perfectly good reason" to how he's supressing his trauma lol.
If they're going for the class binary message, then it just exists to serve the theme and they'll try to hand wave it so that he isn't really a creepy raper dude. :lol

Otherwise, I dunno how you pull the dude back from that. Maybe you bring up that some widowers refuse to throw out their spouses' clothing or something. :p

Jexhius said:
Jintan could totally prove that Menma is a real ghost, rather than just a hallucination. He could do it any time, but he doesn't. This kind of thing annoys a certain part of my brain that picks holes in plots.
That's the problem with dramatic irony.

Dresden said:
Well, at least he's not masturbating to a picture taped to the wall.
Maybe he hires hookers and orders them to dress up like Menma!

Haly

He's afraid to subject Menma's existence to scrutiny, for fear of the responsibilities that might come with such a revelation.

</deathoftheauthor>

Geneijin

shintoki said:
I still didn't think they had to resort to that, hence, my reaction. I felt they could have achieve a similar effect without that. But since they did, it's honestly something I would expect a few episodes later, not now, which is why it's even more of a surprise. The show is getting crazy.

Also, I'm surprised people didn't mention about Anaru's jelly.

Jex

People never make effective use of the ghosts that come back from the dead to assist them with their crippling emotional problems.

Plus, if everyone knew Menma was real in episode two there really wouldn't be much of a show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
I still didn't think they had to resort to that, hence, my reaction. I felt they could have achieve a similar effect without that. But since they did, it's honestly something I would expect a few episodes later, not now, which is why it's even more of a surprise. This show is getting crazy.

Also, I'm surprised people didn't mention about Anaru's jelly.
Santorum
. :(

Halycon said:
He's afraid to subject Menma's existence to scrutiny, for fear of the responsibilities that might come with such a revelation.

</deathoftheauthor>
Well, the "troll" would be that Menma really doesn't exist and they're just lying to the audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom