• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
icarus-daedelus said:
But holy fucking shit, it really does cost 32.99. Just under $11 per episode. What a steal.
Bandai bringing the bargains.

(only ~$18 for the first volume at Deepdiscount though)

Salazar

Grabbed Yu Yu Hakusho Collection 2. Dark Tournament begins.

Have to finish Durarara, then Honey and Clover, then Tatami Galaxy, then the last section of FMA:B, and then more Yu Yu.

Or I could scrap that running order altogether and go straight to Yu Yu.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
C 2 - Yep biggest disappointment of 2011, how could nakamura create something so cliche, and fill it with so much cheap animation and terrible cg? i mean come on nakamura you can do way better than this..

Yet at the same time i seriously cannot wait to watch the next episode, and there is still some potential for it to either become really good or really bad.. awesome trainwreck indeed.:lol

All i hope is it doesn't become something mediocre in the long run, that's worse than being really terrible, because it's forgettable.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maison Ikkoku 93: They kissu'd~

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
InfiniteNine said:
Censored? And that's a marketplace purchase I can't use credit on that! I think I'll just shift it to my K-ON! order.

EDIT: Well now that BD cost me $12.99 instead of $32.99.
Pretty sure it only comes censored.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Cwarrior said:
Maison Ikkoku ep1

wow there fucking this guy shit up, on both his exams and his chance with that girl.
If the Olympics had a competition for synchronized cockblocking, the Maison Ikkoku gang would win gold every time.

jman2050

Ano Hana 2

Link cables? Pfft, that's so eight years ago. Does no one have a Ninpendo DZ?
Yes I got the point I'm not stupid.

Actually intrigued to see where this goes. Yukiatsu is a creep and the other girl is a bitch, probably gonna be some prime melodrama involving those two.

Also why the hell does a ghost need to take a bath? Really now?

Cwarrior

jman2050 said:
Ano Hana 2

Link cables? Pfft, that's so eight years ago. Does no one have a Ninpendo DZ?
Yes I got the point I'm not stupid.

Actually intrigued to see where this goes. Yukiatsu is a creep and the other girl is a bitch, probably gonna be some prime melodrama involving those two.

Also why the hell does a ghost need to take a bath? Really now?

how is the girl with blue hair a bitch?

she got mad seeing anru hanging about with people bad mouthing jinta

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Anohana episode 2 was more or less on-par with the first episode - not much to say about that as it's continuing the same mood present in episode 1 with the same level of direction and writing.

Personally that "thing" didn't really bother me in the slightest, then again this is coming from someone who watched Koi kaze which more or less had the same thing except it was worse!

Although to make that comparison koi kaze at least portrayed it as something immoral and wrong, i have no idea what they are saying about it in anohana mmm..

Joule

hosannainexcelsis said:
The first episode is the weakest. Keep watching - it becomes progressively more awesome.
Trapeze-Rhino.jpg

I liked the first episode as an opener but yeah the other stories were better.

cosmicblizzard said:
Is it episodic, because I can't really do episodic shows these days?
It's technically episodic, but it doesn't feel that way. All of the stories take place at the same time, and you'll notice them interacting with each other as you go on. The last episode is an effective climax to the series. You really should watch it.

is this the right thread for asking about anime recommendations?

i'm looking for animes that have really awesome action, with quality animation, and hopwfully an interesting story to go along with it.

I liked naruto anime and bleach since it had awesome fights and story. don't watch them anymore cuz honestly i lost track of where i was and i stopped reading bleach manga period cuz it just became a boring 'beat then next stronger person' story..(i am considering starting reading the manga again tho)

i really liked full metal alchemist brotherhood, and i have tengen toppa guren lagan so i'll watch that sometime. i also plan on watching code geass, im just having trouble finding a good download of the first season in high def.

other than those are there animes u guys recommend? movies count too.

-no dbz, series is too long for me to start :(

hosannainexcelsis said:
It's technically episodic, but it doesn't feel that way. All of the stories take place at the same time, and you'll notice them interacting with each other as you go on. The last episode is an effective climax to the series. You really should watch it.

I'll check out more, but no promises I'll like it. I usually like weird stuff, but I thought the first ep was really boring.

Ezalc

hamchan said:
Anyone else find Fairy Tail kinda dull? I think Rave Master is much better.

I only watch Fairy Tail mostly for the boobs, and because I think the different kinds of magic are interesting.

Rave Master was definitely more interesting because it had Let who was a badass motherfucker. Also the manga's ending is probably one of the best since it concludes the whole HaruxEllie thing which a bunch of other anime have but never do anything about and that really fucking pisses me off.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko 2
Dat Shaft Head-tilt.

Evidence for my "cousin is an ostracized autistic/trauma victim" theory falls into place, but I still wonder. There was some bothersome mood dissonance between when they got back from the trip to the beach and the aunt told the story. Plus this much exposition so soon in that category gives me the idea that maybe, just maybe, that they'll go back on the amnesiac story and say "LOL she really was abducted by aliens *awesomeface*" To which I will give my rageface and walk away. Another bothersome element is that she's a trauma victim, which would imply that her condition is acute rather than terminal, meaning she can be "fixed". It's all slightly bothersome really, but it'll likely end in dramatics where Erio will recover her lost memories with the help of boring, undersexed main character.

It's really too bad because they could have gone into certain cultural issues of shame and ostracization when it comes to the mentally handicapped in Japanese culture within the frame narrative of slightly off kilter, pretty-sure-it's-fake-but-still "alien" narrative. The dialogue and monologue systems seemed attuned to that sort of thing, only hinting at the more serious nature behind everything before bringing it down on a steady slope of "this is a serious issue", barreling towards a painful, but circumstantially "good" end.

Still, beats the "WOOOOooooOOOooOOOOooOOOOooo~! Aliens~!" BS that I was afraid of. It still could be though, and that would be a disappointment.

Also, that E.T. reference with the ending was BOSS.

Lain

cosmicblizzard said:
I'll check out more, but no promises I'll like it. I usually like weird stuff, but I thought the first ep was really boring.
At least watch episode 5. I simply loved that episode for a plethora of reasons.
I watched the first episode of Trapeze and didn't like it much, but then went back some time later and it just clicked with me. I even appreciated the ugly look.

Cwarrior

bigboss370 said:

i'm looking for animes that have really awesome action, with quality animation, and hopwfully an interesting story to go along with it.

I liked naruto anime and bleach since it had awesome fights and story. don't watch them anymore cuz honestly i lost track of where i was and i stopped reading bleach manga period cuz it just became a boring 'beat then next stronger person' story..(i am considering starting reading the manga again tho)

i really liked full metal alchemist brotherhood, and i have tengen toppa guren lagan downloaded so i'll watch that sometime. i also plan on watching code geass, im just having trouble finding a good download of the first season in high def.

I see you like shounen action shows like so i recommend One piece, its better then brotherhood and those other two.

its only 494 episode so far, hope you enjoy

Joule

bigboss370 said:

i really liked full metal alchemist brotherhood, and i have tengen toppa guren lagan downloaded so i'll watch that sometime. i also plan on watching code geass, im just having trouble finding a good download of the first season in high def.

Before duckroll gets here, I recommend Sword of the Stranger. A most excellent action movie.

For a series, I'd say Hajime no Ippo. As long as you don't have any dislike of sports anime it's very good action.

Ezalc

Cwarrior said:
I see you like shounen action shows like so i recommend One piece, its better then brotherhood and those other two.

What? One Piece is definitely not better than Brotherhood.

Anyways to answer to the requests: Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Big O. You can thank me later.

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:
Trapeze 1

That was... really weird. This is very different than [C]. Don't know if I really want to watch any more.
I thought the first episode was boring, too. Not enough guns.

I just checked and it looks like I got up to episode four before stopping. Just forgot to catch up one day and that was that. I guess I'll hit up episode five tonight.

Cwarrior

Ezalc said:
What? One Piece is definitely not better than Brotherhood.

Anyways to answer to the requests: Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Big O. You can thank me later.

brotherhood really great but the first 14 layers(episodes) are made of shit but once get passed that its all gold all the way,but even high points aren't as good as one piece.

Cwarrior said:

i watched 50 or so episodes of one-piece and a friend of mine tried to get me into it, but it just didn't work for me. it just has ridiculous characters, the fights didn't flow and kept getting cut to other scenes, and the story wasn't all that great either and didn't move forward much..

does fairy tail have good action and story? i remember i started readin it a long time ago but for some reason didn't continue.

bigboss370 said:

Yo.

Cwarrior

Maison Ikkoku EP2

That little boy is a genius with the bloodline limit of secret clan cockblockers.

I seen a bit of this show before as kid a long time ago(1997) only remembered after seen akemi(don't know why)

bigboss370 said:
i watched 50 or so episodes of one-piece and a friend of mine tried to get me into it, but it just didn't work for me. it just has ridiculous characters, the fights didn't flow and kept getting cut to other scenes, and the story wasn't all that great either and didn't move forward much..

does fairy tail have good action and story? i remember i started readin it a long time ago but for some reason didn't continue.

Weird I don't think I ever seen some one not like one piece after watching it.

then how about hajime no ippo?

bigboss370 said:

Fairy Tail has good action, but you might not like it if you don't like One Piece. The first few arcs aren't really that good.

cosmicblizzard said:

whoaa thanks!

cosmicblizzard said:
Fairy Tail has good action, but you might not like it if you don't like One Piece. The first few arcs aren't really that good.

i remember liking fairy tail up to wherever i read though, i thought it had interesting characters and powers, dunno about story. im gonna start reading it again so i'll see.

with one piece there were a few good moments for me, but just not enough overall to warrant my continuous attention. i remember this one part where Lufi had to go against the smoker guy and i thought to myself holy shit this fight is gonna be really interesting...and it never happened:( and then when fights did happen there were just too many breaks in between to show other stuff..

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
icarus-daedelus said:
what'd i tell ya lafieru~ ain't no mononoke, that's for sure
When i think about it what really makes the show a disappointment is it just isn't as stylistically interesting as his other works, I'm actually finding myself quite intrigued by the story and setting (despite being cliche) and what possible directions it's going take over the course of it's run.

It's weird only show this season where my own subjective enjoyment of it is conflicting with it's objective merit..

Clevinger

bigboss370 said:

Similar with me. I liked everything but the fights, which felt like 50% reaction shots, 45% grunting/talking/laughing by the fighters, and maybe 5% actual fighting. Gave me bad Dragon Ball Z flashbacks.

bigboss370 said:
with one piece there were a few good moments for me, but just not enough overall to warrant my continuous attention. i remember this one part where Lufi had to go against the smoker guy and i thought to myself holy shit this fight is gonna be really interesting...and it never happened:( and then when fights did happen there were just too many breaks in between to show other stuff..

I agree that OP takes too long for fights to happen. However, when they do, it usually pays off. I was getting REALLY impatient between Arlong's defeat and the defeat of the next major antagonist which was VERY far away. When it finally did happen, I said "holy shit" out loud and OP became one of my favorite series ever. The buildup is there for a reason and I really wouldn't change it with the exception of the Skypiea arc (much later after you dropped it).

I would suggest maybe try out the manga since you can absorb the same amount of story and action in a lot less time. If you like it, maybe go back to the anime only for specific scenes. It has some amazing action later on that a fan of shounen stuff like you would like. Of course if you just weren't enjoying yourself at all in the East Blue arcs, then don't bother. Not for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom