• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

Clevinger said:
Similar with me. I liked everything but the fights, which felt like 50% reaction shots, 45% grunting/talking/laughing by the fighters, and maybe 5% actual fighting. Gave me bad Dragon Ball Z flashbacks.

Fights would have less impact if it was just straight random fights with no build up, but thing 5% actual fight is untrue.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Early One Piece fights, especially in the anime, weren't particularly impressive. Most of the really badass fights don't come along until Arabasta and beyond.

Ealry fights are not as good as later fights but there some great ones like strawhats vs cat pirates,ussop vs chuu,luffy vs donkriega and zorro vs hawk eyes

Dresden

Huh, so Trapeze/Kuchu Buranko was released as Welcome to Irabu's Office. Not sure how I feel about that title, although it certainly makes more sense. Wish it was released here as well.

Episode five of Trapeze/Kuchu Buranko/空中ブランコ/Die seltsamen Methoden des Dr. Irabu/Welcome to Irabu's Office's was good. Watching it back to back with the second episode of [C] was kinda jarring, though. Seeing all the hype dissipate is a, lulz, deflating experience.

Lain

Dresden said:
Episode five of Trapeze/Kuchu Buranko/空中ブランコ/Welcome to Irabu's Office's was good.
Every time I watch episode 5 (and I rewatch it from time to time) I lose it at the
Bandooooooooooooooooou.
It gets me every time.

mAcOdIn

Steroyd said:
Two big issues with creepy raper dude.

He's not related (?) So how the fuck did he get what looked like the skirt she last wore when she died.

Why is he sniffing a 10 year old-ish dead girls skirt when he's 15/16.

I actually thought it was a solid episode (Ghost girl taking a bath and eating food aside), but I was taken aback a little bit by creepy raper dude.
I actually don't have a single problem with this unless he killed her and kept the dress or something sinister like that.

Ok, sure, she was 10 when she died but so was he, so frankly I don't think age makes a bit of difference here, he's sniffing a 10 year old's shit because that's as far as she got. Wake me up when it's revealed he killed her so she could forever stay 10 or something like that as opposed to something that is just happenstance.

And there's tons of lame reasons he could have some clothes. Maybe they all stayed over at his family's place once and she brought a change of clothes, maybe Menma's mother later did a garage sale to get rid of some stuff and he bought them, it's not that big a deal unless he took them from her dead body.

Dresden

GaoGaiGar 27:

Kinda dull early on, but shit got real by the end. It was sad to see that the kids weren't dead, though.

It's so nice to see how far we've come since the 90's, by the way.

Cd5Lp.jpg

Lol.

Lain said:
Every time I watch episode 5 (and I rewatch it from time to time) I lose it at the
Bandooooooooooooooooou.
It gets me every time.
Heh, yeah.

And the pull-up scene is just straight up amazing.

Y2uz9l.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Softenni 3: So, bad show is bad, but this happened in the middle of a show for about a minute:

Kdfwil.jpg

I'm sure this was because the episode was about their school being flooded by a huge storm and they probably made a tsunami joke, but what the heck.

Maybe these episodes are made months before hand and they are impossible to change, but still... this is quite possibly the first time I've seen a show basically air a minute of dead air in any cultural context. At that point, just pull the episode.

Or, I guess, this is just another excuse to have a BD-only special feature.

Dresden

Denpa Onna 2:

God, every girl in the show is so kawaii uguu moe~ with some Weird tossed in. It's disgusting. Otherwise it's dull. One more episode like this and I'm out.

Jexhius said:
Trapeze is most definitely awesome. I almost wanna rewatch it now.
Either the show just got a whole lot funnier in episode five or I just completely missed the humor two years ago in the first four episodes.

yXypw.jpg

Gold.

Jex

Halycon said:
I don't think Takahashi can write a drama without misunderstandings, that is like her one plot device for every situation.
I'll admit she leans on it far too heavily, but I don't care. Maison Ikkoku is awesome.
Joule said:
AnoHana 2: Talk about a pokemon induced nostalgia trip. Good times. The rest of the episode was pretty good too. It's nice to see old friends just getting back to the groove they used to have nearly instantly with Poppo and Anaru. Creepy dress sniffing wasn't as creepy as this thread made it seem.
Secret sniffer confirmed!

flawfuls

firehawk12 said:
Softenni 3: So, bad show is bad, but this happened in the middle of a show for about a minute:

http://i.imgur.com/Kdfwil.jpg[IMG]

I'm sure this was because the episode was about their school being flooded by a huge storm and they probably made a tsunami joke, but what the heck.

Maybe these episodes are made months before hand and they are impossible to change, but still... this is quite possibly the first time I've seen a show basically air a minute of dead air in any cultural context. At that point, just pull the episode.

Or, I guess, this is just another excuse to have a BD-only special feature.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's tsunami/earthquake related. It says inappropriate erotic scenes. I guess they could be lying, but that seems like a stupid thing to lie about.

Jex

trejo said:
Why you hatin' on censoring?

Y'all can't use yer imagination or sumthin'?
Kids today, they've spent too much time in front of their boxes watching this tv manga. Back in my day we had books, you used your head to work out what was going on.
Lafiel said:
C 2 - Yep biggest disappointment of 2011, how could nakamura create something so cliche, and fill it with so much cheap animation and terrible cg? i mean come on nakamura you can do way better than this..
Well, it's not like Nakamura's shows are known for their excellent animation, rather they're known for having great and interesting art direction.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
I don't think it's tsunami/earthquake related. It says inappropriate erotic scenes. I guess they could be lying, but that seems like a stupid thing to lie about.
That's the thing, the show censors everything with giant icons like that bear in the picture, so it can't be that (and besides, this show isn't exactly known for hardcore sex or anything).

The scene after it shows the school after a flood, so I'm assuming a giant tsunami hit the school and they had hilarious but untasteful hijinks.

It still seems odd and more importantly, very, very lazy.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Well, it's not like Nakamura's shows are known for their excellent animation, rather they're known for having great and interesting art direction.
Yeah which is exactly what C lacks!

Jex

Lafiel said:
Personally that "thing" didn't really bother me in the slightest, then again this is coming from someone who watched Koi kaze which more or less had the same thing except it was worse!
Koi Kaze was glorious because they took it all the way.
doomed1 said:
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko 2
Dat Shaft Head-tilt.

Evidence for my "cousin is an ostracized autistic/trauma victim" theory falls into place, but I still wonder.
I think she's moe. More specifically, brain-dead moe. Maybe everyone in town was abducted by aliens. Or something.

mAcOdIn

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko I honestly think the show will work best if whether or not they're all crazy or they really were experimented on by aliens is never made clear.

Jex

Lafiel said:
It's weird only show this season where my own subjective enjoyment of it is conflicting with it's objective merit..
It is oddly compelling, even though it isn't succeeding at what I think it should be succeeding in, e.g. WHY ARE THEIR ARMS SO LONG.

Armor Trooper VOTOMS 4

This arena battle is one of the best mecha fights in the show. So gooood.

jman2050

Dresden said:
Denpa Onna 2:

God, every girl in the show is so kawaii uguu moe~ with some Weird tossed in. It's disgusting. Otherwise it's dull. One more episode like this and I'm out.

It's a funny K-On as made by Shaft!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
hosannainexcelsis said:
Sket Dance 3

How in the world does the company that makes these Pelollipop candies turn a profit with such gourmet flavors as "salted fish guts"?
It might be delicious man! I hear cucumber Pepsi is pretty good anyways.

Branduil

Speaking of anime, I rewatched something which wasn't anime: Avatar. Man this movie really does not stand up to repeat viewings, outside of the hype and theater experience. The story is just complete crap. It was only bearable because I had the rifftrax going. When you compare it to something similarly themed, like Princess Mononoke, Cameron is a terrible writer.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
Speaking of anime, I rewatched something which wasn't anime: Avatar. Man this movie really does not stand up to repeat viewings, outside of the hype and theater experience. The story is just complete crap. It was only bearable because I had the rifftrax going. When you compare it to something similarly themed, like Princess Mononoke, Cameron is a terrible writer.
Well, dude gets a magical girlfriend, so it might as well be an anime.

jman2050

Branduil said:

Welcome to the day the movie came out?

Branduil said:

I hated the movie from the first time I watched it. A poorly-written combination of a heavy-handed environmentalist tract and wish-fulfillment fantasy. 3D is the only thing it had going for it.

Salazar

One hour of Durarara to go.

Outstanding visual joke with sperm-like balloons wriggling upward in the sky.

No fucking idea what is going to happen, plot-wise.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Jexhius said:
I think she's moe. More specifically, brain-dead moe. Maybe everyone in town was abducted by aliens. Or something.
Oh, she's TOTALLY moe. Having gone as far as suicidal actions in her delusion as a matter of emotional trauma is moe-bait if I ever saw it. Now here at least she has a mental disease that can be "fixed" through external intervention instead of some permanent ailment to be cured at the end of the series by "The Power of LOVE"(tm).

On the same token, it would have been an interesting twist if they made the mental ailment permanent, and the show becomes about caring and loving your family, even those that aren't right in the head. Air sort of did that, and because of it I cried like a little bitch. Denpa's probably not going to, but it would be a strong move on their part, because the mental collapse arc was a pretty short part of Air relative to the other characters and that flashback bullshit.

hellclerk

Branduil said:
You're just realizing this now? If you didn't realize this before the film came out (I noticed when he gave that 20min lecture on his film during that Ubisoft E3 presser), certainly you noticed something was off when they called their precious ore "unobtainium", the sci-fi way of saying "A wizard did it", and then continued to treat the plot seriously.

Branduil

InfiniteNine said:
Never watched Avatar since I saw the bluray on display at Walmart and the blue people freaked me out. It really was uncanny valley there.
You've probably actually seen the movie several times already.

jman2050

Really though James Cameron made eleventy billion trillion dollars just by remaking dances with wolves with blue people, zero imagination, and THREE DEE, so who are we to talk? :/

mAcOdIn

doomed1 said:
Oh, she's TOTALLY moe. Having gone as far as suicidal actions in her delusion as a matter of emotional trauma is moe-bait if I ever saw it. Now here at least she has a mental disease that can be "fixed" through external intervention instead of some permanent ailment to be cured at the end of the series by "The Power of LOVE"(tm).

On the same token, it would have been an interesting twist if they made the mental ailment permanent, and the show becomes about caring and loving your family, even those that aren't right in the head. Air sort of did that, and because of it I cried like a little bitch. Denpa's probably not going to, but it would be a strong move on their part, because the mental collapse arc was a pretty short part of Air relative to the other characters and that flashback bullshit.
Don't kid yourself, there'll be no resolution in this show, it's going to be just like Arakawa under the bridge. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the main character started slipping slightly although he'll surely still be the most sane of them all.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Branduil said:
You've probably actually seen the movie several times already.
I've never actually seen the movie aside from those couple of seconds I looked at it at Walmart. I also found a GBA copy of Tales of Phantasia there which is pretty weird considering how long the GBA has been discontinued.

Branduil

doomed1 said:
You're just realizing this now? If you didn't realize this before the film came out (I noticed when he gave that 20min lecture on his film during that Ubisoft E3 presser), certainly you noticed something was off when they called their precious ore "unobtainium", the sci-fi way of saying "A wizard did it", and then continued to treat the plot seriously.
No, I noticed it then. I'm just bringing it up because I saw it again and it's worse the second time.

My favorite part is Cameron's unintentional racism of making Jake a better and smarter Navi than all of the Navi despite being a fake with nothing but a few training montages to aid him.

InfiniteNine said:
I've never actually seen the movie aside from those couple of seconds I looked at it at Walmart. I also found a GBA copy of Tales of Phantasia there which is pretty weird considering how long the GBA has been discontinued.

That whoosh sound above your head was the joke flying by.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Branduil said:
That whoosh sound above your head was the joke flying by.
How am I supposed to get a joke about something I've never seen? )< It's like saying the cake is a lie and magically expect everyone to know what that means.

Jex

jman2050 said:
Really though James Cameron made eleventy billion trillion dollars just by remaking dances with wolves with blue people, zero imagination, and THREE DEE, so who are we to talk? :/
No-one can deny his movies appeal!

Anyway, when it's mentioned that a movie 'doesn't hold up on repeat viewings' (e.g. Avatar, Star Trek) it's usually because of some kind of plot/character/writing problem that was always present but becomes more apparent with repeated viewings. Unfortunately I tend to notice those things first time, so I didn't even get to enjoy Star Trek once.

Meanwhile, in anime...

The King of Braves: Gao Gai Gar 4

Did you see that? There was a robot that became a SPACE SHUTTLE and then another robot that became a LION punched it. This is pretty much the greatest thing ever, if you happen to be a ten-year old boy.

Branduil

jman2050 said:
And Stephanie Meyer made millions of dollars exploiting vampires and teenage girl angst.

Branduil

InfiniteNine said:
How am I supposed to get a joke about something I've never seen? )< It's like saying the cake is a lie and magically expect everyone to know what that means.
You don't need to see Avatar to know it's a copy of an already tired story.

Really Cameron fails any time he doesn't make a story involving an inhuman menace attempting to kill lots and lots of people.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Jexhius said:
No-one can deny his movies appeal!

Anyway, when it's mentioned that a movie 'doesn't hold up on repeat viewings' (e.g. Avatar, Star Trek) it's usually because of some kind of plot/character/writing problem that was always present but becomes more apparent with repeated viewings. Unfortunately I tend to notice those things first time, so I didn't even get to enjoy Star Trek once.
I don't know I saw Star Trek a few times after it came out. I thought it was pretty entertaining. Got free chicken, popcorn, and soda since I worked there and they let me off early! Saw it again with my friend and her nerd aunt and had a good time again.

jman2050

Branduil said:
And Stephanie Meyer made millions of dollars exploiting vampires and teenage girl angst.

Same thing.

I mean, at least Titanic was a legitimately good movie (not the best thing ever, but good) when it made eleventy billion trillion dollars, Avatar is just... quite the step down in comparison.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seikai-ichi Hatsukoi 3: So, unlike Dedication Through Light, I'm actually watching this (I'm assuming he's not :p), and I think this will be my shoujo romance fix for the season. It's still really shitty shoujo, but I guess beggars can't be choosers (or I need to start watching more live action drama).

One funny thing is that in straight shoujo, characters can't kiss, where as here the third episode ends in what most people would consider a sexual assault/attempted rape. I guess when it's two guys, it doesn't matter.

hellclerk

mAcOdIn said:
Don't kid yourself, there'll be no resolution in this show, it's going to be just like Arakawa under the bridge. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the main character started slipping slightly although he'll surely still be the most sane of them all.
I really don't think everyone else is that crazy really, just jaded. I'm a city-slicker, and you see those sardonic (auntie), sarcastic (sandwich girl), and excitable types (helmet girl) all over. I really think it's the MC that's the idiot. He really is pretty dim-witted. Sandwich girl probably works at a restaurant or something, and Auntie obviously is under alot of stress with trying to both deal with and take care of her daughter and turns goofy and sardonic as a coping measure. I will give these guys one thing though, beyond MC, the characters are fantastic. They all have multiple layers to them, their traits aren't interchangeable, and learning more about them seems like it'll be fun based on interactions with them so far.

The main character seems to have a bit of a case of APS. I mean, he really just seems like some dumbass angsty teenage boy thinking with his dick, but still too moral for his own good. He's actually the most boring part about the show. Otherwise, it's pretty interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom