• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Seikai-ichi Hatsukoi 3: It's still really shitty shoujo, but I guess beggars can't be choosers (or I need to start watching more live action drama).
*insert troll comment here*
InfiniteNine said:
I don't know I saw Star Trek a few times after it came out. I thought it was pretty entertaining. Got free chicken, popcorn, and soda since I worked there and they let me off early! Saw it again with my friend and her nerd aunt and had a good time again.
Clearly, I lacked the chicken.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
jman2050 said:
Really though James Cameron made eleventy billion trillion dollars just by remaking dances with wolves with blue people, zero imagination, and THREE DEE, so who are we to talk? :/
I don't believe it's fair to hold it against him for that. Many movies are going be more rehashes of popular concepts, ideas, or even stories. Adding on to this, he still writes a very clean script. Compared to most other large action titles that flounder around with either poor pacing or lack of direction. He comes through still, even though it is a lifeless script. It still does push him above most of the competition who can't even come up with that. Which just helps him more, when it actually comes time for the technical parts and shooting the picture. Which is where he actually has some a strong skill set in.

firehawk12 said:
Seikai-ichi Hatsukoi 3: So, unlike Dedication Through Light, I'm actually watching this (I'm assuming he's not :p), and I think this will be my shoujo romance fix for the season. It's still really shitty shoujo, but I guess beggars can't be choosers (or I need to start watching more live action drama).

One funny thing is that in straight shoujo, characters can't kiss, where as here the third episode ends in what most people would consider a sexual assault/attempted rape. I guess when it's two guys, it doesn't matter.
I believe I said it before. It's shoujo with sexual acts!

jman2050

shintoki said:
I don't believe it's fair to hold it against him for that. Many movies are going be more rehashes of popular concepts, ideas, or even stories. Adding on to this, he still writes a very clean script. Compared to most other large action titles that flounder around with either poor pacing or lack of direction. He comes through still, even though it is a lifeless script. It still does push him above most of the competition who can't even come up with that.

No no, I think Cameron is a great director all things considered. After all, he did do Terminator, Alien, and Titanic, the latter of which I think gets way too much flak for whatever reason. Just in this particular case it was incredibly obvious that Avatar's narrative was just a lazy vehicle for Cameron's advances in CG. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, the movie is downright gorgeous and visually striking and worth watching at least once despite the story, but it's still a disappointment because everyone realizes that he's capable of so much better.

doomed1 said:
The main character seems to have a bit of a case of APS. I mean, he really just seems like some dumbass angsty teenage boy thinking with his dick, but still too moral for his own good. He's actually the most boring part about the show. Otherwise, it's pretty interesting.

Maybe it's the sadist in me, but I love watching that MC try to act like a hot shot when he's very obviously a failure at life and getting by only on narrative convenience.

mAcOdIn

I know I shouldn't like this but I kinda do really like Maria+Holic. This scene from episode 2 cracks me up, the way Maria trips Kanako. They also upped Ryuken's moe levels by having her cry. I shouldn't like this but when it's so purposely absurd I kinda can't help it.
doomed1 said:
I really don't think everyone else is that crazy really, just jaded. I'm a city-slicker, and you see those sardonic (auntie), sarcastic (sandwich girl), and excitable types (helmet girl) all over. I really think it's the MC that's the idiot. He really is pretty dim-witted. Sandwich girl probably works at a restaurant or something, and Auntie obviously is under alot of stress with trying to both deal with and take care of her daughter and turns goofy and sardonic as a coping measure. I will give these guys one thing though, beyond MC, the characters are fantastic. They all have multiple layers to them, their traits aren't interchangeable, and learning more about them seems like it'll be fun based on interactions with them so far.

The main character seems to have a bit of a case of APS. I mean, he really just seems like some dumbass angsty teenage boy thinking with his dick, but still too moral for his own good. He's actually the most boring part about the show. Otherwise, it's pretty interesting.
What?? Sarcastic girl and excitable girl aren't weird for those attributes but for dressing up as a sandwich and doing God knows what at night with an alternate name. I grew up in a town where 1st through 12th grades all went to school in the same building and none of us did that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
shintoki said:
I don't believe it's fair to hold it against him for that. Many movies are going be more rehashes of popular concepts, ideas, or even stories. Adding on to this, he still writes a very clean script. Compared to most other large action titles that flounder around with either poor pacing or lack of direction. He comes through still, even though it is a lifeless script. It still does push him above most of the competition who can't even come up with that. Which just helps him more, when it actually comes time for the technical parts and shooting the picture. Which is where he actually has some a strong skill set in.
To troll Jexhius, this is why writing > directing.

shintoki said:
I believe I said it before. It's shoujo with sexual acts!
Yep, I know. It's still weird to see. Imagine the first episode of a straight shoujo ending with the guy jumping all over the girl? Man...

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
shintoki said:
I don't believe it's fair to hold it against him for that. Many movies are going be more rehashes of popular concepts, ideas, or even stories. Adding on to this, he still writes a very clean script. Compared to most other large action titles that flounder around with either poor pacing or lack of direction. He comes through still, even though it is a lifeless script. It still does push him above most of the competition who can't even come up with that.
Oh please, no one knows Nihil Novis Sub Sola like people who watch a pop media form that 95% of the time recycles the same 3 plots. It's not so much that Cameron just went and rehashed a popular concept, it's that he did it so poorly. The plot's full of holes, the main character is hokey and overly self-righteous, and it paints the majority of humans as douchebags who should be more like blue nature people who get everything handed them on a silver plater by their planet-goddess. The Navi experience is something contrary to the human experience, and for some reason Cameron tries to put them together, which is impossible. It's uncanny valley of the soul. That's why Avatar is shite.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Puella Magi Madoka Magica finale - Yep, wandering son is still the best animu of winter, might post some more detailed thoughts on this in the other thread, when i get time.

Jexhius said:
Anyway, when it's mentioned that a movie 'doesn't hold up on repeat viewings' (e.g. Avatar, Star Trek) it's usually because of some kind of plot/character/writing problem that was always present but becomes more apparent with repeated viewings. Unfortunately I tend to notice those things first time, so I didn't even get to enjoy Star Trek once.

Everybody should develop the ability to turn their brain off and go with the flow of well-produced action when you're watching something for the first time. It's why I enjoyed Star Trek, even though I was aware it wouldn't stand up to repeated viewings.

mAcOdIn said:
Don't kid yourself, there'll be no resolution in this show, it's going to be just like Arakawa under the bridge. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the main character started slipping slightly although he'll surely still be the most sane of them all.

Arakawa is based on an ongoing manga, while Denpa Onna is based on a light novel series that appears to have just finished, so who knows?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
firehawk12 said:
Yep, not every show can be Kimi ni Todoke or Aoi Hana after all.
Why would anyone want a show to be like Kimi Ni Todoke. Watching it is like having some tie a rubber band around your dick, while trying to blow you off. Excruciatingly painful.

jman2050 said:
No no, I think Cameron is a great director all things considered. After all, he did do Terminator, Alien, and Titanic, the latter of which I think gets way too much flak for whatever reason. Just in this particular case it was incredibly obvious that Avatar's narrative was just a lazy vehicle for Cameron's advances in CG. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, the movie is downright gorgeous and visually striking and worth watching at least once despite the story, but it's still a disappointment because everyone realizes that he's capable of so much better.
I don't really see most of his past movies as that much different either. I'll definitely agree that Avatar was weaker than the others, but most of it was to be expected.

Branduil

Something ironic about a billionaire director using the most advanced film technology to make a story about how we should go back to living naked in the forest.

jman2050

doomed1 said:
Oh please, no one knows Nihil Novis Sub Sola like people who watch a pop media form that 95% of the time recycles the same 3 plots. It's not so much that Cameron just went and rehashed a popular concept, it's that he did it so poorly. The plot's full of holes, the main character is hokey and overly self-righteous, and it paints the majority of humans as douchebags who should be more like blue nature people who get everything handed them on a silver plater by their planet-goddess. The Navi experience is something contrary to the human experience, and for some reason Cameron tries to put them together, which is impossible. It's uncanny valley of the soul. That's why Avatar is shite.

I think the biggest facepalm moment was when all the animals started attacking the military because the planet willed them to. It was especially jarring for me because, despite how blasé the movie to that point had been, I never imagined that it would intentionally write itself into a corner just to use the most hackneyed plot device imaginable in the straightest fashion possible to resolve itself.

Dresden

hosannainexcelsis said:
Arakawa is based on an ongoing manga, while Denpa Onna is based on a light novel series that appears to have just finished, so who knows?
Eight novels in a twelve-episode series? I don't see it ending well.

jman2050 said:
I think the biggest facepalm moment was when all the animals started attacking the military because the planet willed them to. It was especially jarring for me because, despite how blasé the movie to that point had been, I never imagined that it would intentionally write itself into a corner just to use the most hackneyed plot device imaginable in the straightest fashion possible to resolve itself.
It's the power of nature! Lol.

duckroll

jman2050 said:

Princess Mononoke!

Jex

Branduil said:
Something ironic about a billionaire director using the most advanced film technology to make a story about how we should go back to living naked in the forest.
C'mon now. They had beads!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
shintoki said:
Why would anyone want a show to be like Kimi Ni Todoke. Watching it is like having some tie a rubber band around your dick, while trying to blow you off. Excruciatingly painful.
I'll have to take your word for it, since I've never tried that. :p

Dresden said:
Eight novels in a twelve-episode series? I don't see it ending well.
Maybe it's a split cour thing? I don't keep up with this stuff.

hellclerk

jman2050 said:
Maybe it's the sadist in me, but I love watching that MC try to act like a hot shot when he's very obviously a failure at life and getting by only on narrative convenience.
Let me put it like this: I would like his character more if he was a bit more uncaring. I actually don't mind if he's your typical think-with-your-dick-teen type. I just felt it was out of character for him to show that much passion after he's told that Erio's mentally disturbed. Well no shit Sherlock! You think mentally disturbed cousins that drive their mothers to depression-fueled Stepford Smiling don't do stupid, dangerous things? She almost fuck'n drowned! Congrats, you're not only an idiot, but you're dense as lead! His passion-angst after Auntie told him the story was kind of dumb. Not only did he become smart enough to put together the pieces, he also was able to build up enough passion to actually give a shit. It just didn't make sense to me... :/

mAcOdIn

InfiniteNine said:
Come to the Mariya-sama side~!
No way. I do like him/her though as from the first episode he and Matsurika pay attention, any other character in any other show would still have no idea that Kanako's a lesbian while he figures it out instantly, but Ryuken's still better.

Jex

jman2050 said:
Maybe it's all part of a secret plot concocted by the alien hive mind.

Branduil

I'm not sure which Mononoke scene you're talking about, but I don't think it's quite comparable since the movie establishes from the outset that the beasts of the forest are intelligent and at war with mankind.

hellclerk

jman2050 said:
Hold on, I have a dramatic screengrab from 4chan based on this (/tg/, great place to HUMANITY, FUCK YEAH).

jman2050

doomed1 said:
Let me put it like this: I would like his character more if he was a bit more uncaring. I actually don't mind if he's your typical think-with-your-dick-teen type. I just felt it was out of character for him to show that much passion after he's told that Erio's mentally disturbed. Well no shit Sherlock! You think mentally disturbed cousins that drive their mothers to depression-fueled Stepford Smiling don't do stupid, dangerous things? She almost fuck'n drowned! Congrats, you're not only an idiot, but you're dense as lead! His passion-angst after Auntie told him the story was kind of dumb. Not only did he become smart enough to put together the pieces, he also was able to build up enough passion to actually give a shit. It just didn't make sense to me... :/

Eh, maybe I just read the scene wrong (entirely possible) but I got the feeling that he was more annoyed at how she's acting than shocked and concerned at her trauma. Like "yeah, I figured it was something like that" rather than "oh god, how horrible!"

Not that he's totally uncaring. I mean he managed to push himself to give her the time of day rather than just trying to ignore the situation.

hellclerk

jman2050 said:
Eh, maybe I just read the scene wrong (entirely possible) but I got the feeling that he was more annoyed at how she's acting than shocked and concerned at her trauma. Like "yeah, I figured it was something like that" rather than "oh god, how horrible!"
Eh, same diff. The fact that he got so passionate about it in the first place was just sort of off-putting. I think it might have been the lead-up to him getting all high and mighty about it. It just seemed to fast and sharp for me...

Oh well, that's where the episode ended, so I think we'll get a retread next week.

mAcOdIn

MC cares because someone mentally deranged gave half their days food to him with no regards to her own situation, that's gotta be a humbling situation. And he totally touched her hand.

Branduil

Princess Mononoke really is a great contrast though, like I said earlier. Both films are basically about human industry and ambition versus nature. Contrary to expectations, the characters in PM are far less cartoonish. Lady Eboshi is ruthless in her exploitation and war against the forest, but she's also a generous leader, who genuinely wants to help her people. Can you imagine Cameron writing a scene like the one with the leper? I think his head would explode.

I'm just going to chime in and say I absolutely hate whatever type of plot Avatar uses and it's the main reason why I will never see it. For that matter, is there any movie/show/etc. that has a message about environmentalism that doesn't invoke the noble savage crap?

Jex

Nah man, it was all in the script, he just cut it for time reasons. If you'd read the making of book and seen the documentaries you'd know that by now. Duh.

Branduil

NotebookJ2 said:
I'm just going to chime in and say I absolutely hate whatever type of plot Avatar uses and it's the main reason why I will never see it. For that matter, is there any movie/show/etc. that has a message about environmentalism that doesn't invoke the noble savage crap?
Did you just miss all of the posts about Princess Mononoke?

Jexhius said:
Nah man, it was all in the script, he just cut it for time reasons. If you'd read the making of book and seen the documentaries you'd know that by now. Duh.

Well that makes sense. Better to cut that than one of the 10 very necessary minutes of dragon flying. Or any of all of the scenes with Michelle Rodriguez.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NotebookJ2 said:
Before someone else says it, Arjuna. :p

Branduil

firehawk12 said:
God no. That clip of the speech was enough for me!
That's too bad, I really want to read your reaction to the entire show.

Rahxephon91 said:
Arjuna is possibly one of the worst environmental anime ever. It's just so preachy and then that ending...
ITADAKIMASU

hellclerk

mAcOdIn said:
MC cares because someone mentally deranged gave half their days food to him with no regards to her own situation, that's gotta be a humbling situation. And he totally touched her hand.
Oh please, he's as self-centered as they come. MC is really just a somewhat poorly written character. That's not really a bad thing mind you, I rarely look at the MC for the good character interaction. It's always the supporting cast that tends to be most interesting.

Risette

A Good Citizen
On the subject of Princess Mononoke, the dub for that is atrocious. I wish all dubs could be as good as Disney dubs, but unfortunately...

I'm guessing Disney didn't pick up Princess Mononoke because it was too violent or something?

hellclerk

trejo said:
I-I like Avatar because it's pretty to look at. I'm sorry. :(
That's okay. As long as you can recognize how awful the plot is, no one's gonna fault you for enjoying the great eye-candy in the film.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Even I'm not crazy enough to watch Arjuna.

Yet.
Come on, it's only 13 episodes. And when things become too much you can turn off your brain and enjoy the outstanding Kanno soundtrack.

Aigis said:
On the subject of Princess Mononoke, the dub for that is atrocious. I wish all dubs could be as good as Disney dubs, but unfortunately...

I'm guessing Disney didn't pick up Princess Mononoke because it was too violent or something?

I think that was prior to their partnership, in which Ghibli gives its films to Disney who then proceeds to never show them in theaters because it would make their own stuff look bad.

Jex

Aigis said:
On the subject of Princess Mononoke, the dub for that is atrocious.
"Thanks to some savvy casting choices, Mononoke's voice crew realizes one of the best English dubs in the history of imported anime."

Talk about setting the bar low.

jman2050

doomed1 said:
Oh please, he's as self-centered as they come. MC is really just a somewhat poorly written character. That's not really a bad thing mind you, I rarely look at the MC for the good character interaction. It's always the supporting cast that tends to be most interesting.

oh no he's definitely not well written, I just think he's interesting.

Then again the audience surrogate in a particular story is almost never written all that well because, after all, they have a role that needs to be fulfilled above all else.

mAcOdIn

doomed1 said:
Oh I totally agree, I'm just fucking around. That said, I really would feel indebted to a crazy person if they gave me half their food, how do I repay that? I could replace the food that day but to have a crazy person provide for me, even if for just one meal, that'd be something that'd force me to serve them till I die or some shit, that's why I don't accept free stuff. But yeah, the MC's a 2d, self-centered twat made just for the story, I agree, I love how by the first day he's already hanging up on his aunt, like that'd really happen.
Jexhius said:
"Thanks to some savvy casting choices, Mononoke's voice crew realizes one of the best English dubs in the history of imported anime."

Talk about setting the bar low.
Hey that's setting the bar high, if they were setting it low they'd say domestic anime which I guess would cover shit like stuff that some Asian-American guy makes on his Mac in 3 weeks and gets his classmates to voice the characters for a school project and uploads to Youtube.

duckroll

Aigis said:

Wut. Princess Mononoke was released by Miramax. They were owned by Disney at the time. This was way before the formal Disney/Ghibli contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom