• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.
psycho17 said:
Oh Boy this sounds like a chance for me to say crazy things!
K-on was garbage, OreImo was the best show during that season, and Seikon no Qwaser is fun for PLOT and plot.
Its not enough to say crazy things. You have to say them in a way that makes you look like a pompous ass. Its a subtle art.

vocab

If you want a racing anime, watch Future GPX Cyber Formula. Definitely a hidden Sunrise gem. If flopped pretty bad in the US when it was released, and I picked up the whole set for $8. I was really surprised at how good it was. I didn't watch the OVA's, but I heard they are really good as well.

Initial D is all right. It's the music that really brings that series together.

InfiniteNine said:
I don't care about gambling but I love Kaiji!

Don't give a crap any sports though, but a few shows centering on them are quite good.

Tactical battles are always fun to watch even if you don't care about whatever they're battling for.

I Am Now said:
I think Kaiji is dumb, does that count? Bad story, drowning in worse art, surrounded by dull and unlikable characters. Seriously.

Come on now, how can you not like Kaiji? He's the ultimate survivor!

Branduil

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Most of the scenes that jump immediately to my memory don't involve the Evas (outside of Episodes 18 and 19). That's not to say that those parts weren't good, but it was the interactions of the characters outside of the battles that sell that series.
But the biggest character moments tend to happen when someone is in an Eva.
Ode to Joy, Asuka's final battle in EoE, the Hallelujah chorus.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Paprikka said:
Yeah, thats exactly me, with the same series too. I've still yet to watch anything other than Frontier, but I suspect once I do it'll be put in a different light. I've also done stuff like watch all 100 odd episodes of Shugo Chara and Doki and watched all of endless 8 in one sitting. Good times.
Did you like it because it was a decent antidote to the shittiness of western science fiction television? That's basically why I glammed onto it so eagerly (in retrospect, I still think it's better than BSG, so it has that going at least).

And I feel sorry for you for marathoning E8 after the fact. Yikes. :lol

Hellsing321 said:
Hey Bonta-kun is still a mech.
Touche. :p

psycho17 said:
Oh Boy this sounds like a chance for me to say crazy things!
K-on was garbage, OreImo was the best show during that season, and Seikon no Qwaser is fun for PLOT and plot.
Just post about how Seikon is a deconstruction of the nature of maternal relationships and you're on the list!

flawfuls said:
It is good (at least the anime is). The fights and the setup for the fights are so well done they make up for the shows shortcomings, but if you're not looking forward to the fights then stay far far away.
That seems to be most sports anime, really. In my mind, Ippo is a lot like The Fighter or Rocky though... I suppose it really isn't?

doomed1 said:
With Derrida as my witness, they shall not see the morning light! >:D
Only an asshole could make a career out of mispelling a word!

flawfuls said:
It is good (at least the anime is). The fights and the setup for the fights are so well done they make up for the shows shortcomings, but if you're not looking forward to the fights then stay far far away.

Well, the manga is even better than the anime. Although that's not to say the anime isn't great.

Joule

Aria the Natural 1: What a lovely return to the series and for me an excellent segue into the second season. The opening sequence with all the goings on in Neo-Venezia's carnival really is full of life. All of our friendly Undines guiding tourists all over the place. The new opening song is quite lovely as well. The Yui Makino/Nino OP/ED works so well. The whole main cast shows up in this episode, even our dear Ai on another trip to Aqua. It's another of those more mystical episodes but I think this was one was fine (not that I mind these anyway). Again it has to do with cats. It's always those magical cats. The sequence where Akari and Ai go off to play patapon with Casanova was kinda surreal. It wasn't so much the scenery as they pranced around but rather the dead look in their eyes while doing so. Kind of uncomforting.

There weren't too many funny faces this episode but we did get Ai's cat mask. We also got a giant cat too. He was pretty dandy.

I still don't know what to think of Akatsuki. His VA reminds me too much of his other roles (Ike from Shana, that poor sap and Kitamura from Toradora).

Aria the Natural 2: I really do like these 'go on a treasure hunt around town' deals that just have the cast go about learning and experience more of the setting. Akari and gang to get to see quite a few sights that they (particularly Akari) weren't familar with at all. Of particular was this little square where our President Aria got a spiffy new look. My favourite part of this episode has to be at the coffee shop with Akari and the owner. The sequence of him buying her a drink and her returning the favour were oh so amusing. The owner also made the most unnatural laughing motion of his oddly shaking his head. After running through a bunch of puzzles the end reward for Akari, Aika and Alice is a wonderful view. There's even suddenly flower petals all over the place for firehawk. A very enjoyable episode.

The funny face appearances were ample though.

Favourite moment of the episode:
0mwLL.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
But the biggest character moments tend to happen when someone is in an Eva.
Ode to Joy, Asuka's final battle in EoE, the Hallelujah chorus.
All of Shinji's best moments come when he is completely ineffectual an his Eva unit though. That's the crux of the show, really - the Eva renders him impotent figuratively in the TV show and literally in the movie.

Joule said:
Favourite moment of the episode:
0mwLL.gif
You're making me want to marathon the show for the billionth time. :(

zeroshiki

Paprikka said:
I'm not sure which one this is reference to, but I'm getting wincest vibes.

Yeah, thats exactly me, with the same series too. I've still yet to watch anything other than Frontier, but I suspect once I do it'll be put in a different light. I've also done stuff like watch all 100 odd episodes of Shugo Chara and Doki and watched all of endless 8 in one sitting. Good times.

Yosuga no Sora is the greatest anime of the last 5 years.

Who's with me?!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
firehawk12 said:
Only an asshole could make a career out of mispelling a word!
He not only misspelled it, he convinced everyone he was right. >:D

Anyway, excuse me while I play with my Jungian databases over here and decide if I should watch something or just play video games...

zeroshiki

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Most of the scenes that jump immediately to my memory don't involve the Evas (outside of Episodes 18 and 19). That's not to say that those parts weren't good, but it was the interactions of the characters outside of the battles that sell that series.

Asuka in the bath tub :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
doomed1 said:
He not only misspelled it, he convinced everyone he was right. >:D

Anyway, excuse me while I play with my Jungian databases over here and decide if I should watch something or just play video games...
Be careful in those occidental spaces!

zeroshiki said:

Who's with me?!
It's Amagami SS + School Days. Of course it's the best!

zeroshiki

I watched the Kaiji Live Action movie and it was the biggest POS I had the misfortune of spending money on.

This is why I haven't touched the show. And the art.

Branduil said:
I watched the first episode of Akagi and thought it sucked, which is why I haven't watched Kaiji yet.

I just watched Akagi and I'm currently on episode 10 of Kaiji, and I can confidently say Kaiji is the better show. (I didn't think Akagi sucked though.)

zeroshiki said:
I watched the Kaiji Live Action movie and it was the biggest POS I had the misfortune of spending money on.

When has a live action adaptation of an anime ever been good? Serious question here.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
zeroshiki said:

Come on! It really fits the show. Can't say anything about the movie though since I didn't watch it because the dude playing Kaiji wasn't Kaiji enough.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
It's a Futurama reference, but it always makes me think of BSG in a nutshell. :lol

Well, admittedly you're not missing a whole lot, as the battles early on are not, per se, terribly important to character or story development outside of their ramifications, with a few exceptions. Starting with ep 25 onward they become more intricate and more important as an impetus for character development, and by that point
cars, and lots of them
will start playing a prominent role so hopefully you won't be able to resist the crazy in any case. Because the crazy is one of the three best things about Utena!

Gah. Thread moves too fast. Can't keep up.

fake edit: nevermind, you're talking about Eva and Initial D. *tunes out*
I did watch the end of the movie, because that had to be seen to be believed... I admit, there's an action sequence that mattered. :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Do I really need to see the Utena movie? I thought the series was perfect as it is. Gave me a great ending, characters, and so forth. Does it actually add anything? Or is it similar to the Gundam ones where it's more of re-visit heavily dampened by time constraints?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
cosmicblizzard said:
Hito used to be in rank S, but he doesn't post as much anymore.
Hey, I'm still here. :mad:

icarus-daedelus said:
Hitokage is whatever class exists above S until you find out about his masochistic tendencies and inscrutable love of camp.
Fixed. :/

zeroshiki

cj_iwakura said:
One of the most iconic scenes to me is Kaji and Misato talking in the elevator.

Asuka and Rei in the elevator is probably the most talked about 5 minutes of nothing ever. Gainax were cheapass geniuses.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Joule said:
You're the one who made me want to watch this show though. : P
Ah, so in essence, I just punched myself in the face then. :lol

shintoki said:
Do I really need to see the Utena movie? I thought the series was perfect as it is. Gave me a great ending, characters, and so forth. Does it actually add anything? Or is it similar to the Gundam ones where it's more of re-visit heavily dampened by time constraints?
It certainly has a great ending at the very least. :lol

trejo

zeroshiki said:

As someone who didn't want to watch the show because of the art let me tell you that it most definitely grows on you. Give it a go.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Asuka and Rei in the elevator is probably the most talked about 5 minutes of nothing ever. Gainax were cheapass geniuses.
Haha, I just realized how many elevator scenes there were in Eva.

zeroshiki

trejo said:
As someone who didn't want to watch the show because of the art let me tell you that it most definitely grows on you. Give it a go.

Fine, fine. Good a time to start as any, considering there's a new season coming.

firehawk12 said:

Its the perfect animation trick. Just a still shot that you animate movement in the background to simulate an elevator!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
shintoki said:
The Utena movie isn't a re-visit. It's a distillation into a more concentrated and hallucinogenic dose.

Branduil

firehawk12 said:
All about the symbolism. That and the fact that elevators are an easy way to get people from point A to point B without animating anything.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
So, is Koi Kaze any good? Kinda wanna feel a little dirty after that relatively whitewashed Madoka.

Alternately, I might just watch Golgo 13.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
shintoki said:

Yes, the movie is a total re imagining of the series, but they changed many things. THink the Escaflowne movie, but good.

It's also got the finest architecture in anime.

Paprikka

firehawk12 said:
Did you like it because it was a decent antidote to the shittiness of western science fiction television? That's basically why I glammed onto it so eagerly (in retrospect, I still think it's better than BSG, so it has that going at least).

And I feel sorry for you for marathoning E8 after the fact. Yikes. :lol
Something like that, though it was also really the first mech anything I've watched all the way through. Only really saw bit of series airing on Cartoon Network back in the day. Also a sucker for all the music, still have the Nyan Tama big song collection I bought lying around.

And Endless Eight was made worse by the fact I never paid attention to the episode names and I'm somewhat stubborn, so it was 5-6 instances of: "Surely the next episode will be the last one." ;_; So glad I actually read stuff like this thread nowadays.

zeroshiki said:

Who's with me?!
Ah I thought that was what it was, but for some reason I never realized they were fraternal twins, just thought it was regular ol' incest.
VQo5W.jpg

Just kidding, everyone knows twincest is wincest.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
doomed1 said:
So, is Koi Kaze any good? Kinda wanna feel a little dirty after that relatively whitewashed Madoka.
Yep, it's the classy incest show for monocle people.

flawfuls

shintoki said:

It's not really a recap movie and yes it must be watched.

Paprikka said:
And Endless Eight was made worse by the fact I never paid attention to the episode names and I'm somewhat stubborn, so it was 5-6 instances of: "Surely the next episode will be the last one." ;_; So glad I actually read stuff like this thread nowadays.

It's like the fandom's thoughts at the time, but distilled into a single day. You got the complete experience.

Joule

icarus-daedelus said:
This was a good episode, but the giant cat Casanova thing gave me the willies. I have no idea why.
Well it did put Akari and Ai into a hypnotic patapon trance.

I also feel a little slow in that I only realized that all the main cast have names starting with 'A' just a little before finishing the first season.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
halycon said:
Numbers don't lie, Hito, numbers don't lie.
cosmicblizzard said:
You aren't as passionate about your opinions anymore (but you're still mean to me in irc :( ).
I've been busy. Problem is, I'm not entirely sure on what. :(

Oh, and sorry if I was being mean.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
This was a good episode, but the giant cat Casanova thing gave me the willies. I have no idea why.
Because he's creepy. But the nice kind of creepy, like the homeless man who turns out to be a Vietnam war hero down on his luck.

zeroshiki said:
Its the perfect animation trick. Just a still shot that you animate movement in the background to simulate an elevator!
It's an accident that elevators make everything better, it seems?
That's why Mass Effect 1 is so much better than Mass Effect 2, surely! (*runs*)

doomed1 said:
It's... I dunno, after Winter Sonata, all I can say is that it's very Asian drama.

Paprikka said:
Something like that, though it was also really the first mech anything I've watched all the way through. Only really saw bit of series airing on Cartoon Network back in the day. Also a sucker for all the music, still have the Nyan Tama big song collection I bought lying around.

I still love with Macross F songs. I think I can still remember the words to Triangular. :(

And poor you. I'm the lone E8 defender here, but only in a theoretical sense. I would have skipped to the end of that arc after the third cycle or so.

Joule said:
Well it did put Akari and Ai into a hypnotic patapon trance.

I also feel a little slow in that I only realized that all the main cast have names starting with 'A' just a little before finishing the first season.
Haha, yeah. It's only when I tried to remember the name of the characters did I notice that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom