• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
InfiniteNine said:
So who looks forward to my daily ratings of individual K-ON! Episodes starting on the 26th? I bet that'll be fun for everyone!
I can't remember - why didn't you like it in the first place? :lol

Lain

InfiniteNine said:
So who looks forward to my daily ratings of individual K-ON! Episodes starting on the 26th? I bet that'll be fun for everyone!

As long as you'll give Yui the love she deserves, I'll avidly read each one of your daily ratings!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
InfiniteNine said:
I thought it was boring!
Haha, I can't see how that would change. Now it's boring, but in English!

Branduil said:
Unlike the wall of shame, this is one list it's okay to be on top of.

Really though, firehawk is a huge omission. There's no way he isn't at least Class A.
Awwwww!

zeroshiki said:
That was great. It forced guys like you and mac to actually get avatars to stem the tide.
It was all an elaborate plan?!

macodin and ABF will be debating about minor details like pantsu color in the worst harem show of the season and you and Jex will be talking about metaphysical sadness or some such in whatever show the monocle people like.
I challenge Jex to watch the worst show this season so we can have a meaningless debate about pacing or directing or adaptation on this season's version of Infinite Stratos!

cosmicblizzard said:
Middle or high end of B. The "people who don't like Mushishi have no soul" would put you higher but it's cancelled out by your TWGOK love.
But Keima is so moe.
mhSmAl.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
The English dub of K-ON could probably make things sound unintentionally funny. It sounds absolutely terrible from that trailer.

Or, it could just be an assault on the ears. Apparently there's going to be an English-sung version of Fuwa Fuwa Time too as a bonus. Yikes.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Uchip said:
doomed1
at least we agree that kyubey is the best character in the show
and to be fair he does mention that magi defy reason, so his lecture on heat death isnt ALL lies :)
No, his entire explanation for it was Maximum Troll Physics. He talked about "lost energy" in the context of a burning piece of wood when there is no energy lost. Yes, while he said that the magica bullshit defines reason, we move into the realm of metaphysics which would be better approached by my experience in theology and philosophy than science.

And I consider Kyubey the best character in the show (not really saying much from my opinion of it) because he made me feel something other than annoyed. He actually made me a bit uncomfortable, especially with the combination of 'cute' with cold calculation. I really picked it up while he was pitching the magical girl stuff. That's the best part of the show really, but if it wanted to actually register on my "give a shit" scale, it would have to complement that with more meticulous plot pacing and better subtleties in the writing and framing.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
InfiniteNine said:
I thought it was boring!
I hope you still do, maybe I'd have a chance at that free blu-ray copy!

No excuses, man. Finish it and love it or I'll be heartbroken and we can't be friends anymore! Just kidding. Sort of.
Speaking of utena i managed to finally resume my watch of it by watching episode 11 last night, here's hoping i can get a few more in later today.:p funny enough i got my siblings into the show and they managed to finish it before me lolz.

My ratings of all the K-ON episodes

S1

1 - A+
2 - A+
3 - A+
4 - A+
5 - A+
6 - A+
7 - A+
8 - A+
9 - A+
10 - A+
11 - A+
12 - A+

K-ON is just that good yo!

Utena or Bebop? You decide!
Cowboy bebop is probably the more important show out of the two.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Miri said:
Wait, you haven't watched Bebop?
Nope. I was first put off by the Firefly comparisons and then, like Eva, I didn't want to watch it because it was so "canon" and I was sure it would never meet my high expectations. Eva surprised me though, so I was willing to track down some DVDs for Bebop.

zeroshiki said:
You are a terrible person. Where else could a basketball game take months to finish?
Oh lovely. 100 (or was it 200?) episodes of shounen goodness. But it's apparently the most popular anime in Japan ever, so I feel somewhat obligated.

Paprikka said:
I'm not sure whether I should look forward to earning my mustache and joining the elite or member status more.
Neither. Do you really want to be on the wall of shame at the end of the season? :lol

Risette

A Good Citizen
Lafiel said:
My ratings of all the K-ON episodes

S1

1 - A+
2 - A+
3 - A+
4 - A+
5 - A+
6 - A+
7 - A+
8 - A+
9 - A+
10 - A+
11 - A+
12 - A+

K-ON is just that good yo!
You forgot the 13th episode. But yes it is that good!

Paprikka said:
I'm not sure whether I should look forward to earning my mustache and joining the elite or member status more.

Post more and you'll be welcome in the mustache club. You're already in it on the manga side of things.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Utena, obviously. Can you really resist the temptation to watch Utena walk up the stairs four million more times to the soothing sounds of Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku? Really?! Cowboy Bebop doesn't have any obscure references to German novels, either! :p

Slam Dunk is kinda fun but it gets bogged down in that shounen filler funk-cum-90s slideshow animu thing pretty frequently. I would not blame you for never finishing that.
I was half way through GTO as well. I have a bad track record with popular, long running anime it seems. :lol

And god, that song!!!!

Aigis said:
You forgot the 13th episode. But yes it is that good!
*nerd voice* Excuse me, but K-On! actually has 14 episodes if you include the Christmas special.

iavi

firehawk12 said:
Nope. I was first put off by the Firefly comparisons and then, like Eva, I didn't want to watch it because it was so "canon" and I was sure it would never meet my high expectations. Eva surprised me though, so I was willing to track down some DVDs for Bebop.

Oh lovely. 100 (or was it 200?) episodes of shounen goodness. But it's apparently the most popular anime in Japan ever, so I feel somewhat obligated.

You poor soul, GET ON IT! I haven't watched enough Firefly to get the comparisons though. And now that I think about it, that show always seemed pretty interesting. I should get on that.

Lafiel said:
Honestly thinking about it, firehawk12 should be in A, considering how critical he is of all the monocle-watching shows like kuragehime, wandering son etc.:lol

He's also hard to classify because he is passionate about his views, but they're almost the exact opposite of the typical monocle person's.

Branduil

firehawk12 said:
Utena or Bebop? You decide!

(Slam Dunk will never happen... sigh. :( ).
Both at the same time.

cosmicblizzard said:
He's also hard to classify because he is passionate about his views, but they're almost the exact opposite of the typical monocle person.

That's exactly why he should be near the top. Once you reach a high enough elitist level, things loop around and you end up near the people on the bottom of the list.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cosmicblizzard said:
I demand to be in the B+ tier! :lol

Aigis said:
The English dub of K-ON could probably make things sound unintentionally funny. It sounds absolutely terrible from that trailer.

Or, it could just be an assault on the ears. Apparently there's going to be an English-sung version of Fuwa Fuwa Time too as a bonus. Yikes.
Eww, that's going to be worse than Friday. :(

(Sadly, I've watched K-On! in Animax's English dub, the TWO Cantonese dubs and the Taiwanese Mandarin dub. I bet that this dub will still be the worst. :lol)

Miri said:
You poor soul, GET ON IT! I haven't watched enough Firefly to get the comparisons though. And now that I think about it, that show always seemed pretty interesting. I should get on that.
Apparently I have to do Utena or icarus will go yandere me!

Truth101

Banned
Yes! Even though I haven't watched any Anime for the past 2 seasons I'm hyped for Ao no Exorcist... I hope A-1 can do the beautiful artwork justice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cosmicblizzard said:
He's also hard to classify because he is passionate about his views, but they're almost the exact opposite of the typical monocle person's.
I'm post modern, culturally pastiche. Shakespeare and Michael Bay run in the same circles for me!

I also don't know whether I should be flattered about the debate over my placement in this list. :lol

icarus-daedelus said:
Good news, everyone! I've taught the toaster to feel love!
Eva = Battlestar Galactica?!

flawfuls

I could never get into Slam Dunk either. I've tried multiple times, but the length is intimidating and it's honestly been kind of disappointing after reading REAL which is amazing. I would imagine it picks up as it goes on just given the nature of these kind of shows, but from what I've seen it's not in any hurry.

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
Good news, everyone! I've taught the toaster to feel love!
That's illegal. And dangerous.

Hellsing321 said:
So does Sammy from Time of Eve. Don't you dare try and tell me otherwise!

Well technically she has just as much as any other fictional anime character.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Aigis said:

This made me throw up a little in my mouth...

Jesus, this moves from offending my taste with dubs to offending my taste in music, and you have to go pretty LOW to start offending my taste in music with all the shitty indie stuff I've sat through.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
I could never get into Slam Dunk either. I've tried multiple times, but the length is intimidating and it's honestly been kind of disappointing after reading REAL which is amazing. I would imagine it picks up as it goes on just given the nature of these kind of shows, but from what I've seen it's not in any hurry.
Yep, that's exactly what I've heard/how I feel as well. Although I haven't personally read REAL.

I suppose the bonus of watching it in streaming is that I can presumably skip through a lot of the games (assuming ANN's player lets you do that).

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
Yep, that's exactly what I've heard/how I feel as well. Although I haven't personally read REAL.

I suppose the bonus of watching it in streaming is that I can presumably skip through a lot of the games (assuming ANN's player lets you do that).

Half the fun of Slam Dunk is watching the games. Without them, you'd be left with a crappy comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom