• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joule

jman2050 said:
Eh, I think JC Staff's late 90's/early 00's output is much better than a lot of the stuff they're doing now. I'm a huge Toradora! fan yes, but that's still only one series really.

Besides, that was more referencing the fact that I think there's no way the JC Staff of today even attempts to adapt something like Azumanga.
The only thing that bothers me about J.C Staff is some of these bleh light novel adaptations they've done lately (Okami-san, Hidan no Aria, Index 2). Other than those I think they've done pretty alright since 2005 onward making some of my favourites in their respective seasons.

I just wish they would do comedies more often. They're pretty good with the few they've done.

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
I'm sure there's all sorts of nasty fanart and fanfiction on the internet for S&W, but I don't need to know about it! lalalalalala!
Since you told me what a Shota is despite me saying I didn't know what they were out of choice I'm really tempted to dirty myself and find some of this fan art and post it here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ooh lists! Here's mine!
Genshiken
Ghost Hunt
Higurashi (not really good but worth seeing)

Baccano!
Dennō Coil
Kino's Journey
Minami-ke
Moribito
Moyasimon
Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei
Sword of the Stranger

Goku: Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei
Kure-nai
Michiko to Hatchin
Natsume's Book of Friends
Spice and Wolf
Zoku Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei

Cross Game
Higurashi
Maria Holic
Natsu no Arashi!
Spice and Wolf 2
Zan: Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei
Zan: Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei Bangaichi
Zoku Natsume's Book of Friends

That's just the stuff I'd still watch, I left off some things that weren't total crap but also weren't worth going back to watch liker Bamboo Blade and Kannagi.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
icarus-daedelus said:
I'm sure there's all sorts of nasty fanart and fanfiction on the internet for S&W, but I don't need to know about it! lalalalalala!

There isn't actually that much.... at least when you compare it to something like K-ON, or the like... however, there is this one amazing picture of Holo by Tony Taka... you are not a furry even if you love this picture... not in a million years @___@

flawfuls

jman2050 said:
Eh, I think JC Staff's late 90's/early 00's output is much better than a lot of the stuff they're doing now. I'm a huge Toradora! fan yes, but that's still only one series really.

I don't know, looking at what they have made...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.C.Staff

The only thing they did that was at all interesting before 2005 was Utena, Azumanga, maybe Excel Saga and uh I kind of liked Gunparade March. I hear R.O.D TV was also decent, but other than that I don't see anything noteworthy or even decent.

On the other hand during 2005 and beyond they just do way more shows and while a lot of them are crap there are plenty of pretty good ones like Honey and Clover, Nodame, Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings, Shigofumi, Toradora, Taisho Baseball Girls, Aoi Hana. I consider all of those to be better than anything the did pre 2005 outside of Utena and Azumanga.

I guess it's all subjective, but I have a hard time what late 90's/early 00's shows they did that would make you think highly of them during that period.

jman2050 said:
Besides, that was more referencing the fact that I think there's no way the JC Staff of today even attempts to adapt something like Azumanga.

But they do everything from shounen to Noitamina stuff to Yaoi. I'm not sure why you would think that they wouldn't do something like Azumanga. Wacky comedies about high school girls isn't exactly a risky genre.

Proelite

Extollere said:
There isn't actually that much.... at least when you compare it to something like K-ON, or the like... however, there is this one amazing picture of Holo by Tony Taka... you are not a furry even if you love this picture... not in a million years @___@

Liking Holo != furry.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Hanasaku Iroha 4
Man, this is starting to turn into a teen soap opera... Tohru is your typical douchebag really, but Minko falling for him only makes too much sense, as does Tohru going out with Drill Hair. Really, even if that dick does have "good intentions", there's a difference between constructive criticism and being a dick. This guy leans on the dick side of the equation. I guess it just figures.

Though to be honest, I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the show. Ohana is progressing at a reasonable and predictable pace, there seems to be actual males populating this universe, and the characterizations are realistic with a solid logic. I'm using some of my "people profiling" skills with figuring out the character dynamic, so that's a plus. I guess I just find it sorta difficult to relate to. :p

Joule

flawfuls said:
I don't know, looking at what they have made...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.C.Staff

The only thing they did that was at all interesting before 2005 was Utena, Azumanga, maybe Excel Saga and uh I kind of liked Gunparade March. I hear R.O.D TV was also decent, but other than that I don't see anything noteworthy or even decent.
They also made the Tsukihime anime that doesn't exist. I pretty much agree with your listing though I also liked Maburaho for its wacky premise a bit. New Dominion Tank Police I've heard is alright and I also really really liked Cat Soup (Nekojiru-So) a very bizzare movie detailing the efforts of one male cat trying to rescue the soul of his sister.

On the other hand during 2005 and beyond they just do way more shows and while a lot of them are crap there are plenty of pretty good ones like Honey and Clover, Nodame, Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings, Shigofumi, Toradora, Taisho Baseball Girls, Aoi Hana. I consider all of those to be better than anything the did pre 2005 outside of Utena and Azumanga.
I'd also add Potemayo and Mahoraba - Heartful Days. There are a few others I personally enjoyed but wouldn't quite put on the same list: Kimikiss ~ Pure Rouge, Hatsukoi Limited, Ghost Hunt, Karin, Milky Holmes (haven't finished it yet though) and Otome Yōkai Zakuro (DrForester's favourite)

But they do everything from shounen to Noitamina stuff to Yaoi. I'm not sure why you would think that they wouldn't do something like Azumanga. Wacky comedies about high school girls isn't exactly a risky genre.
They need more comedy shows.

mAcOdIn

hosannainexcelsis said:
Just read the really good VN instead.
The one nice thing about being an anime fan is everyone assumes you can read, what a nice hobby! But I really don't want to go back to Higurashi, wasn't that good even if the VN's better.
Proelite said:
Liking Holo != furry.
Maybe the fan-art is of her fully in wolf form in some seductive pose, is there a pose that could be seductive for a giant wolf?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So finally some people are making a case for JC Staff being better than Gainax after I made the same case last thread?

Renmei

Banned
flawfuls said:
Mai Mai Miracle
The Hong Kong subs I saw for it are pretty awful though. Does anyone know if there are any better options?
A group called AAR subbed it, I don't know anything about them and their subs seemed a lil suspicious to me.. It is available though~

mAcOdIn said:
The one nice thing about being an anime fan is everyone assumes you can read, what a nice hobby! But I really don't want to go back to Higurashi, wasn't that good even if the VN's better.

I wasn't specifically talking to you! But all I'll say is that between Higurashi and Umineko, Ryukishi07 is one of my favorite writers. Period. In any medium.

So finally some people are making a case for JC Staff being better than Gainax after I made the same case last thread?

Given that I haven't found a Gainax show I've really enjoyed yet besides the Eva remake movies, you won't have to argue too hard to convince me!
Cue cries of heresy.

mAcOdIn said:

Modern Gainax? Maybe, but that's not really an impressive feat in of itself.

Vintage Gainax? Lol

Articalys

I'm pretty sure no one cares at this point since none of the Spring 2011 characters are in it, but International Saimoe has finally begun their main competition. Sure, it lacks the brutal efficiency of the regular Saimoe, which runs through 100+ contestants in 2 months versus ISML which takes 7 months to process just 50, but you do get more matchups that way I guess.

Anyway here you go. There's about, oh, ten hours or so left for this round, so vote if you feel like it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
hosannainexcelsis said:
Given that I haven't found a Gainax show I've really enjoyed yet besides the Eva remake movies, you won't have to argue too hard to convince me!
Cue cries of heresy.
But the Eva Rebuild is by Khara
and not as good as Gunbuster, Eva TV, End of Evangelion, FLCL, or Gurren Lagann.

Reminds me that I need to watch Diebuster and Honneamise. I even have the Honneamise Blu-ray... still unwatched. Dammit.

zeroshiki

Articalys said:
I'm pretty sure no one cares at this point since none of the Spring 2011 characters are in it, but International Saimoe has finally begun their main competition. Sure, it lacks the brutal efficiency of the regular Saimoe, which runs through 100+ contestants in 2 months versus ISML which takes 7 months to process just 50, but you do get more matchups that way I guess.

Anyway here you go. There's about, oh, ten hours or so left for this round, so vote if you feel like it.

Because we all know Ohana would win this going away otherwise...?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ARENA 01: [[Hiiragi Kagami]] Fujibayashi Kyō
ARENA 02: [[Shiina Mafuyu]] Kotobuki Tsumugi
ARENA 03: Index L. Prohibitorum [[Abstained]] Victorique de Blois
ARENA 04: Hirasawa Yui [[Abstained]] Shirai Kuroko
ARENA 05: [[Nagato Yuki]] Kasugano Sora
ARENA 06: Louise Vallière [[Senjōgahara Hitagi]]
ARENA 07: Kuroi Mato [[Holo]]
ARENA 08: [[Sengoku Nadeko]] Izumi Konata
ARENA 09: [[Furukawa Nagisa]] Charlotte Dunois
ARENA 10: [[Gokō Ruri (Kuroneko)]] Shinonono Hōki
ARENA 11: [[Fate Testarossa]] Saber
ARENA 12: Huang Lingyin [[Shana]]
ARENA 13: Suzumiya Haruhi [[Abstained]] Seraphim
ARENA 14: [[Asahina Mikuru]] Misaka Mikoto
ARENA 15: Laura Bodewig [[Sakagami Tomoyo]]
ARENA 16: Akiyama Mio [[Aragaki Ayase]]
ARENA 17: Katsura Hinagiku [[C.C.]]
ARENA 18: Yui [[Konjiki no Yami]]
ARENA 19: Hirasawa Ui [[Abstained]] Nakamura Yuri
ARENA 20: [[Kōsaka Kirino]] Haruna
ARENA 21: Tachibana Kanade [[Abstained]] Shiina
ARENA 22: Last Order [[Abstained]] Sanzen'in Nagi
ARENA 23: Nakano Azusa [[Abstained]] Nymph
ARENA 24: Eucliwood Hellscythe [[Abstained]] Iwasawa Asami
ARENA 25: [[Aisaka Taiga]] Tōsaka Rin
ARENA 26: Alice Carroll [[Ayanami Rei]]

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Asian angst is always delicious when served right. The only problem is that people tend to take it too far to wring out that extra plot thread that no one asked for... but hopefully 11 episodes means that it won't turn out that Menma was Jintan's half-sister or something.
Secret half twin cousin.
icarus-daedelus said:
Spice & Wolf was such a pleasant surprise. I honestly expected some sort of furry propaganda out of it when people initially started talking it up.
It can be both.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
ARENA 01: [[Hiiragi Kagami]] Fujibayashi Kyō
ARENA 02: Shiina Mafuyu [[Kotobuki Tsumugi]]
ARENA 03: Index L. Prohibitorum [[Victorique de Blois]]
ARENA 04: [[Hirasawa Yui]] Shirai Kuroko
ARENA 07: [[Kuroi Mato]] Holo
ARENA 08: Sengoku Nadeko [[Izumi Konata]]
ARENA 09: [[Furukawa Nagisa]] Charlotte Dunois
ARENA 11: Fate Testarossa [[Saber]]
ARENA 12: Huang Lingyin [[Shana]]
ARENA 13: [[Suzumiya Haruhi]] Seraphim
ARENA 14: [[Asahina Mikuru]] Misaka Mikoto
ARENA 15: Laura Bodewig [[Sakagami Tomoyo]]
ARENA 16: [[Akiyama Mio]] Aragaki Ayase
ARENA 18: [[Yui]] Konjiki no Yami
ARENA 19: [[Hirasawa Ui]] Nakamura Yuri
ARENA 21: [[Tachibana Kanade]] Shiina
ARENA 22: Last Order [[Abstained]] Sanzen'in Nagi
ARENA 23: [[Nakano Azusa]] Nymph
ARENA 24: Eucliwood Hellscythe [[Iwasawa Asami]]

Don't really care much about it, but the only "hard" choice was Ui and Nakamura. Ui was less annoying so I chose her. Really, I didn't put much thought into it. Mostly just clicked on vague instinct. Also, lack of Ritsu makes me a sad panda. ;_____;

Jex

TheOddOne said:
Hanasaku Iroha 03 - Well you know Bondage and Lesbian scenes are just fine. Wait what? When did this show turn?
When did this show turn awesome? It's been that way for a while.
TheOddOne said:
C 02 - Decent episode introducing the "Asset". Mikuni seems like a badass.
Cue 'ass' jokes.
Lafiel said:
Revolutionary girl utena 24 - Another awesome recap episode, what i found interesting was in contrast to the last recap, this recapped all the off-the-wall comedic episodes, instead of all the srs business shit, plus the premise of the episode was awesome in itself.
Oh, finishing up that old show?
Salazar said:
Given the choice between Pom Poko and Jexhius, I would choose Pom Poko.
Me too. What an amazing film.

Articalys said:

I still haven't watched most of these shows.

Aigis said:
But the Eva Rebuild is by Khara
and not as good as Gunbuster, Eva TV, End of Evangelion, FLCL, or Gurren Lagann.

Ah, I didn't realize Gainax wasn't doing animation on the Rebuild movies. I guess there's nothing by Gainax I really like then!

I do still need to give some of their shows a fair shake, like not basing my impressions of Eva TV on a few random episodes caught on Adult Swim. But FLCL was merely OK, and the first three episodes of Gurren Lagann really turned me off of that series.

zeroshiki

The characters are all from the last 5 years. Actually, no wait, 3 years? What the hell? The oldest show on there (last refresh/release) is Shakugan no Shana and that one was 2008?

jman2050

zeroshiki said:
The characters are all from the last 5 years. Actually, no wait, 3 years? What the hell? The oldest show on there (last refresh/release) is Shakugan no Shana and that one was 2008?

Shana was 2005. Toradora was their 2008 show.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Abenobashi is pretty good at comedy but I hate that ending.

Indeed, the ending was quite unfortunate. It's status as primarily a comedy goes a long way in cushioning that blow at least.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
That someone is dropping it is all that counts.
No that's not good enough. I say we frame him for 9/11 by releasing a perfectly edited tape of him claiming to have brought down the towers with a weapon only he knows the location of. And then we won't even ask him where that weapon is before sending him to death row.

Jex

flawfuls said:
Mai Mai Miracle

Just finished it and wow that was absolutely amazing. Thanks for the recommendation firehawk12. The title makes it sound like some magical girl anime or something, but it's just about a girl from a small town in the 50's doing what little girls do. It is extremely well made, imaginative, touching and incredibly charming.

It is easily one of the best anime movies I have ever seen. It's sad and surprising that it is so niche because it's honestly Ghibli quality stuff. Everyone should go watch it if they haven't seen it.
Great, another movie to track down. That sounds pretty exciting.
jman2050 said:
Nichijou was better when it was called Azumanga Daioh and it was adapting non-shitty source material.
I do like comedies better when they're funny, that's for sure.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
doomed1 said:
Don't really care much about it, but the only "hard" choice was Ui and Nakamura.
Try to imagine how I interpret these quotation marks.

Jex

flawfuls said:
Huh? Azumanga wasn't exactly a particularly great adaptation and JC Staff has done some of their best work fairly recently. Aren't you a big Toradora fan?
Pretty much, they seem to have done more interesting stuff recently. It's not like their Azumanga adaptation was a work of genius either.

Dresden

zeroshiki said:
Older than that, but yes, the shelf life of moe is a short one. It's a ruthless, moe-eat-moe world.

jman2050 said:
Indeed, the ending was quite unfortunate. It's status as primarily a comedy goes a long way in cushioning that blow at least.

My problem is that I liked where its serious side was going until they screwed everything up at the last minute. Retroactively ruined the entire series for me.

Articalys

zeroshiki said:
At least they leave it open to any character ever for nominations. Japan Saimoe limits it to released material in the last year and they still easily pull in 100+ girls, which says something about archetypes in recent years, I guess.

zeroshiki

Articalys said:
At least they leave it open to any character ever for nominations. Japan Saimoe limits it to released material in the last year and they still easily pull in 100+ girls, which says something about archetypes in recent years, I guess.

I dono... having characters from freaking Kore wa zombie desuka (I show I hope to have forgotten in a few years) severely dates this exercise. The only reason some of these characters even got nominated is because they had shows in the last 2 seasons.

Branduil

Articalys said:
I don't really see how allowing K-on and Clannad to dominate anything makes for a better contest.

jman2050

hosannainexcelsis said:
My problem is that I liked where its serious side was going until they screwed everything up at the last minute. Retroactively ruined the entire series for me.

The worst part is that I really really liked the twist where
all the wacky hijinx and comedy shenanigans ended up being an instinctive coping mechanism on Sasshi's part for you-know-what
and I was actually genuinely interested in where they were going with it.

Turns out they were going directly off a mile-high cliff Thelma and Louise style. Ah well, I still liked the show overall regardless because of the comedy.

jman2050

Articalys said:

I'm assuming Homura is going to completely annihilate the next competition if that's the case.

Now I realize who Anaru reminds me of.
2gnYJ.jpg

Lain

RENA 01: [[Hiiragi Kagami]] Fujibayashi Kyō
ARENA 02: Shiina Mafuyu [[Kotobuki Tsumugi]]
ARENA 03: [[Index L. Prohibitorum]] Victorique de Blois
ARENA 04: [[Hirasawa Yui]] Shirai Kuroko
ARENA 07: Kuroi Mato [[Holo]]
ARENA 08: [[Sengoku Nadeko]] Izumi Konata
ARENA 09: Furukawa Nagisa [[Charlotte Dunois]]
ARENA 11: Fate Testarossa [[Saber]]
ARENA 12: [[Huang Lingyin]] Shana
ARENA 13: [[Suzumiya Haruhi]] Seraphim
ARENA 14: Asahina Mikuru [[Misaka Mikoto]]
ARENA 15: [[Laura Bodewig]] Sakagami Tomoyo
ARENA 16: Akiyama Mio [[Aragaki Ayase]]
ARENA 18: [[Yui]] Konjiki no Yami
ARENA 19: [[Hirasawa Ui]] Nakamura Yuri
ARENA 21: [[Tachibana Kanade]] Shiina
ARENA 22: [[Last Order]] Sanzen'in Nagi
ARENA 23: Nakano Azusa [[Nymph]]
ARENA 24: Eucliwood Hellscythe [[Iwasawa Asami]]

I don't really like Nymph, but I don't like Azusa too. Saber gets all my love though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom