• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

icarus-daedelus said:
It's not the show, it's you. You just didn't notice all of the absurd fanservice integrated into the first two episodes because it was subliminally suggested, like in The Exorcist.
fuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

icarus-daedelus said:
I'm serious though. I never thought it would be possible to maturely develop a believable relationship between a business dude and a cute wolf goddess in anime of all things, and I was proven dead wrong. And they manage to make economics talk more than mildly interesting too, which is a feat in itself.

That was the shocker for me tbh.

Cwarrior

Maison Ikkoku EP 09(cockblocking 101)

I don't know how this guy hasn't snapped already and gone on a murder spree after being terrorized by the tenants this bad.

This truly is the cockblocking Olympics

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
I'm serious though. I never thought it would be possible to maturely develop a believable relationship between a business dude and a cute wolf goddess in anime of all things, and I was proven dead wrong. And they manage to make economics talk more than mildly interesting too, which is a feat in itself.
I tend to think the novel gets the credit for that, but either way I agree that at least she isn't the typical magical animal girlfriend.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
M_Night said:
Spice & Wolf is great and one of my top shows in recent years. Hopefully the announcement for the 3rd season is around the corner. I've been waiting long enough.

The wait is longer than Lawrence's wait for Holo to put out.

But for real... that anime about finances, money laundering, and the economical system based on trade and markets (and corruption and cheating the system.... and back stabbing, and trolling)... man. GIMMIE season 3 already! ;__; I wait so long...

flawfuls

Ao no Exorcist 2

Episode 2 was good. They streched out the manga material, but it wasn't really with filler. They just added bits of dialogue and action here and there. So far I still think it's better than the manga and I'm probably going to stick with the anime from here on out. I am really surprised how much I am liking this show so far. I haven't enjoyed a shounen action anime as much as this one in a long time.

Oh and they shouldn't have put part of the episode after the ED. I almost missed it and it was a pretty important scene. The next episode preview looks fun. Looks like they are going to Hogwarts.

I have to say I think Hanasaku Iroha is my favorite anime right now. I also like Ao no Exorcist.

I've always watched Shounen anime, and Iroha is kind of funny.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Revolutionary girl utena 24 - Another awesome recap episode, what i found interesting was in contrast to the last recap, this recapped all the off-the-wall comedic episodes, instead of all the srs business shit, plus the premise of the episode was awesome in itself.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
icarus-daedelus said:
Don't forget credit liquidity and state currency manipulation, dawg.

Yo my credit default swap got swiped homie cuz my girl left me last night and now she's tryna buy gold at a higher price than me!! shhiiiiiiiiieeeeee

Extollere said:
Yo my credit default swap got swiped homie cuz my girl left me last night and now she's tryna buy gold at a higher price than me!! shhiiiiiiiiieeeeee

Don't forget what happens when you are declared bankrupt :O

Serious business.

Cwarrior

gun grave ep10

What a bro show every calls each other bro even enemies and they even to do a fist pump using there guns.

They can't get enough of showing off each other cool names, brandon...heat, bear walken, big daddy and cannon vulcan.

When man is named bear walken you not fuck about with him

flawfuls

firehawk12 said:
Oh, I forgot to mention Mai Mai Miracle, the other Madhouse film no one has seen. Worth watching however you have to get a hold of it.

And since we did nonsensical comparisons yesterday: Mai Mai Miracle > Redline.
At least, that's what I'm assuming anyway. :lol

I just started watching this and it is fantastic. Every thing about it is just so incredibly charming, especially the music.

Proelite

Ao no Exorcist is very similar to Full Metal Alchemist visually so far. I am liking it. Hope it holds up like brotherhood did.

Wow I didn't know Funimation was subbing Tiger & Bunny already on their website. I tried to watch it with fansubs but the quality was terrible so I couldn't really even read the text. I'm surprised all of the sponsors were allowed to say, because I remember Code Geass being edited so the Pizza Hut logo was removed lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
I just started watching this and it is fantastic. Every thing about it is just so incredibly charming, especially the music.
Oh god, yeah. It has a really uplifting score... too bad there isn't an OST for it.

I still don't get why this movie seems to be locked up or "vaulted" or whatever. The usual places only seem to have DVD versions. :/

Finally had time in this lull of the releases to view TTGL, just up to ep 4. I saw it on peoples list as an anime "to watch," so I was like, its on netflix might as well. Fun! Though Viral's VA is underrated, cant believe he hasnt been a lead on any eng dub.

thetechkid

Dedication Through Light said:
Finally had time in this lull of the releases to view TTGL, just up to ep 4. I saw it on peoples list as an anime "to watch," so I was like, its on netflix might as well. Fun! Though Viral's VA is underrated, cant believe he hasnt been a lead on any eng dub.

Be ready for mainly moments, mainly tears, and mainly drills.

Proelite

Why isn't there a denpa onna to seishun otoko thread? It is by far the best new show of the season.

In addition, dropped Deadman Wonderland because I can't stand Shiro's voice actor in this series. She was alright in Fractale, IS, and Freezing, but in this one it feels like she is just reading the script and relying on her "trained" abilities to get the salary money.

Branduil

Proelite said:
Why isn't there a denpa onna to seishun otoko thread? It is by far the best new show of the season.

In addition, dropped Deadman Wonderland because I can't stand Shiro's voice actor. She was alright in Fractale, but in this one it feels like she is just reading the script and relying on her "trained" abilities to get the salary money.
Of all the reasons to drop Deadman, you do it because of a VA?

zeroshiki

Proelite said:
Main reason.
Didn't like the deliberately shocking expositions either.

Kana Hanazawa is fine. Shiro is supposed to be ditzy and overly genki.

Deadman Wonderland is a terrible show though. That should have been your main reason.

matmanx1

Hanasaku Iroha - by far my biggest and most pleasant surprise of this short season. The animation is really pretty and even though the show is very "teenage-angst" driven I really like what I've seen so far and am interested to see where it's going next. Ohana is very endearing!

Other than that one I'm still watching Gosick (which doesn't get enough credit as a great show, IMO) and Beelzebub which is usually good for a laugh or two even though it feels like the story has pretty much stalled out.

cj_iwakura

Articalys said:
Serial Experiments Lain 5-7

Alright, I give up trying to understand anything. I'll just sit back and watch the pretty colors for the next six episodes.

I'll bet Evangelion is a cakewalk next to this.

Nice music though.

You'll need two viewings at least.

Possibly 3.

I can hit you up with a very useful elaborating article when you're done.

jman2050

Proelite said:

Likely not enough people willing to follow it sadly.

Ah well, join the Denpa army with me! My futon war uniforms are still on backorder but I'm sure they'll be ready soon enough!

flawfuls

Mai Mai Miracle

Just finished it and wow that was absolutely amazing. Thanks for the recommendation firehawk12. The title makes it sound like some magical girl anime or something, but it's just about a girl from a small town in the 50's doing what little girls do. It is extremely well made, imaginative, touching and incredibly charming.

6WzDX.jpg

It is easily one of the best anime movies I have ever seen. It's sad and surprising that it is so niche because it's honestly Ghibli quality stuff. Everyone should go watch it if they haven't seen it.

The Hong Kong subs I saw for it are pretty awful though. Does anyone know if there are any better options?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Nichijou 4
Goddamnit, this show is just so funny. Great light absurdist humor. The bizarre positions for Mio to be in during that test was great, and the mohawk combover was fun times too. That last gag with the yuri-baiting made me double-take because it seemed vaguely possible for the show to just run with it and have various yuri gags with the dunce girl freaking out over it. But of course, that would have been dumb (though hilarious). They should keep up the yuri-bait jokes though. Of course it would me Mio joking, but the reactions to the stuff going on are priceless.

Cwarrior said:
gun grave ep10

What a bro show every calls each other bro even enemies and they even to do a fist pump using there guns.

They can't get enough of showing off each other cool names, brandon...heat, bear walken, big daddy and cannon vulcan.

When man is named bear walken you not fuck about with him

I definitely loved Gungrave, you forgot about the coolest name, Bloody Harry. I wish they would release it on bluray. I would buy it again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
Mai Mai Miracle

Just finished it and wow that was absolutely amazing. Thanks for the recommendation firehawk12. The title makes it sound like some magical girl anime or something, but it's just about a girl from a small town in the 50's doing what little girls do. It is extremely well made, imaginative, touching and incredibly charming.

6WzDX.jpg

It is easily one of the best anime movies I have ever seen. It's sad and surprising that it is so niche because it's honestly Ghibli quality stuff. Everyone should go watch it if they haven't seen it.

The Hong Kong subs I saw for it are pretty awful though. Does anyone know if there are any better options?
Officially, not that I know of. I first saw it in a theatre and that copy had a professional sub track (in so much they were allowed to credit themselves in the subs), but I presume that's a copy of the film that will never be released.

Dedication Through Light said:

Please watch it subbed, it's even more epic. I was gar for Kamina and I still have him in my top five of the coolest characters ever in anime. Though, Gattsu from Berserk, still resides at the top spot.

flawfuls

jman2050 said:
Can't argue with that.

Unfortunately the JC Staff of the past is no more.

Huh? Azumanga wasn't exactly a particularly great adaptation and JC Staff has done some of their best work fairly recently. Aren't you a big Toradora fan?

Aigis said:
Good news!

Although I would keep that bookmarked and wait to see the quality of the upscale.

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up. I will definitely be purchasing it again on blu-ray. I remember going to animeondvd a lot until it was sold. I'll definitely bookmark it and keep an eye on the quality of the release.

jman2050

flawfuls said:
Huh? Azumanga wasn't exactly a particularly great adaptation and JC Staff has done some of their best work fairly recently. Aren't you a big Toradora fan?

Eh, I think JC Staff's late 90's/early 00's output is much better than a lot of the stuff they're doing now. I'm a huge Toradora! fan yes, but that's still only one series really.

Besides, that was more referencing the fact that I think there's no way the JC Staff of today even attempts to adapt something like Azumanga.

7Th

flawfuls said:

A subbing group is supposedly working on it, but they have been doing so for months now...

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
flawfuls said:

It's the only reason I haven't watched it yet. :(

Paprikka

tiff said:
Astarotte no Omocha 3 - Oh my god it's so adorable I just can't take itttttttttttttttttttt
I still want the loli sage dangit!

I finally took a break at about the halfway point of Konjiki no Gash and I'm surprised at how little storyline filler there has been so far. Other than the few episodes with the demonic mirror it's been chugging along pretty much exactly like the manga. The wacky enemies are always great, Victoreem going "Very Shit!" make me think of PSG for a bit. Only ~70 more episodes to go!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
tiff said:
Astarotte no Omocha 3 - Oh my god it's so adorable I just can't take itttttttttttttttttttt

I'm so tempted to start this one... On one hand I'm a big Yui Haga fan.... for... uh, obvious reasons. On the other hand, I know there will be nothing redeeming about this show other than watching an adapted anime, and one that isn't quite as on edge as the manga.

Hmmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom