• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Tiger and Bunny 4

Well that was another good episode. Although a thought has occurred to me: who decided which hero is sponsored by who? Like, was there a bidding war for Blue Rose or did Sunrise just offer her? It doesn't seem to be a coincidence that the most visually marketable hero also happens to advertise on of the biggest brands (Pepsi).

Renmei

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Fine, llet's start with 2006 and work our way forwards, one year at a time :)

I would make a thread for this if I could...
Letsa see, according to wikipedia..

edit: these are the shows I could consider notable. There are a lot more shows that I enjoyed but aren't listed due to being for niche tastes. For example I actually like a lot of the VN adaptations :)

Bartender
Black Lagoon
Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. Solid State Society
Honey and Clover S2
Kemonozume
Ouran High School Host Club
Pale Cocoon
The Story of Saiunkoku
Gargoyle of the Yoshinagas - criminally underrated and unwatched!

Baccano!
Darker than Black
Dennō Coil
Emma
Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
Gurren Lagann
Kaiji
Mononoke
Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture
Nodame Cantabile
Oh! Edo Rocket
Sword of the Stranger
Toward the Terra

Detroit Metal City
Golgo 13
Macross Frontier
Mnemosyne (anime)
Natsume's Book of Friends
Spice and Wolf
Time of Eve

Bakemonogatari
Cross Game
Eden of the East
Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Summer Wars
A Certain Scientific Railgun

Durarara!!
Katanagatari
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
The Tatami Galaxy

Jexhius said:
Just for reference, here's a selection of notable anime from 2007:

5 cms/per second
The Adventures of Tweeny Witches
Afro Samurai
Baccano!
Bambo Blade
Big Windup
Darker Than Black
Dennou Coil
Evangelion 1.0
GeGeGe no Kitaro
Genshiken
Ghost Hound
Gurren Lagann
Hidamari Sketch
Phantom Blood
Kaiji
Gundam 00
Mononoke
Moyashimon
Moribito
Noadame Cantabile
Oh! Edo Rocket
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei
School Days
Shigurui
Skull Man
Sword of the Stranger
Sweat Punch
Lucky Star
El Cazador de la Bruja
You're Under Arrest: Full Throttle
Minami-ke
Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS
Idolm@ster Xenoglossia

Of what I've seen of that year's stuff, my favorites of the year were Bamboo Blade, El Cazador, Lucky Star, and Mononoke. I haven't seen 5cm/sec., though, or it well might also be on that list. (I haven't seen a bunch of shows on that list there, but that one stands out as something I think I'd like, considering how good Shinkai's first two films were.)

firehawk12 said:
There's more Sakamoto wackiness in episode 4!
Sounds good! :)

Master Milk said:
She seems to have built the robot, as she's always modding it, so she's a scientist of some sort, which would qualify her for the Professor title.
A self-proclaimed one perhaps, I was just wondering if she actually already has a degree, despite being just eight. I'm not so sure, but who knows, perhaps she does... :)

These lists are sort of in order of how much I liked them, higher is better. I'm more sure about the top parts of these lists than farther down, but still it's in decently prioritized order. All shows on the list I found at least amusing, though, I'm not listing any shows I really disliked.

2006 - Some very good top-rank shows, but I'm not sure what else there ways.
--
Ergo Proxy
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Ouran High School Host Club
Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. Solid State Society (movie)
Kanon (2006)
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
Gintama

2007 - Solid year, not the best but good.
--
Bamboo Blade
El Cazador de la Bruja
Lucky Star
Mononoke
Kino's Journey movie 2 (movie)
Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone (movie)
You're Under Arrest: Full Throttle
Darker Than Black
Minami-ke
Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!
(not as good but I want to mention them anyway)
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS (if it wasn't Nanoha it might be okay...)
Idolm@ster Xenoglossia (Sunrise's mecha idolmaster)
Aika R-16 (OVA series)

5cm/sec. isn't there only because I haven't seen it. I want to, but haven't gotten around to it yet. :(

2008 - very good year.
--
Slayers Revolution (Slayers returns! :) )
Spice and Wolf
Allison and Lillia
Koihime Musou
Ranma 1/2: Akumu! Shunmin Kou (OVA)
Chiko: Daughter of the Phantom Thief
Wagaya no Oinari-sama
The Sky Crawlers (movie)

2009 - Good year, but '08 bested it.
--
Slayers Evolution R
Spice and Wolf II
Saki
Bakemonogatari
Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance (movie)
Kampfer
Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahou
(not as good but I want to mention them anyway)
Shin Koihime Musou (worst of the three seasons)
Aika Zero (OVA series)

2010 - Mixed, some good stuff some not so much...
--
Sora no Woto
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The Movie 1st (movie)
Angel Beats
Katanagatari
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes
Shin Koihime Musou: Otome Tairan
House of Five Leaves (might rise in the list if I watch more of it)
Otome Youkai Zakuro
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
Black Rock Shooter (OVA)
Hyakka Ryokan: Samurai Girls
Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan

A Black Falcon said:
Nichijou 03 - Most of it was pretty funny, but by the arm-wrestling part I was starting to get a little tired of that part (Yukko v. Mai)... still though, when she pulled out that broccoli, earlier on? Hilarious. I laughed for a while at that one. :D

Also, so Hakase is eight (and the robot one). Is she actually a professor, or does her robot just call her that? Seeing Sakamoto's backstory was nice, though. Kitties are cute. The part where he allowed them to pet his belly without complaint, though? Yeah, cats are probably going to claw you when you try that...

Going by my Japanese dictionary, はかせ can just mean expert or learned person, which certainly describes "Professor", so she doesn't necessary have an actual doctorate or anything.

Sakamoto is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
firehawk12 said:
The lack of Aria on either of those lists is disturbing, especially if you go back to 2006! :lol
Honestly, i love aria but i find it to be a hard show to recommend to people personally. It's not for everyone!

Renmei

Banned
firehawk12 said:
The lack of Aria on either of those lists is disturbing, especially if you go back to 2006! :lol
Aria is niche as hell. I enjoyed it but it isn't something I would recommend to most people~

Jex

Lafiel said:
Honestly, i love aria but i find it to be a hard show to recommend to people personally. It's not for everyone!
Not everyone can handle cats being awesome and girls rowing boats.

firehawk12 said:
I haven't watched it.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Going by my Japanese dictionary, はかせ can just mean expert or learned person, which certainly describes "Professor", so she doesn't necessary have an actual doctorate or anything.
Oh, okay, so it's a translation issue then. That word means something somewhat different in English from what you describe that Japanese word as, I'd say...

Sakamoto is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters.
He is pretty awesome.

A Black Falcon said:
Oh, okay, so it's a translation issue then. That word means something somewhat different in English from what you describe that Japanese word as, I'd say...

Yeah, I was referring to the character Professor, not the word - she doesn't really have any other name to call her by. 博士 can also mean Ph.D., but the dictionary says that meaning is usually read はくし instead of はかせ.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
Maybe you need to erect an Aria thread to sing it's praises.
I don't have the aesthetic sense to make a thread. It would just be several long paragraphs of text followed by a final bout of insane hyperbole like "tl;dr, this is the most unique science fiction show ever created and if you consider yourself a fan of science fiction, you have to watch this before you die".

Jex

firehawk12 said:
I don't have the aesthetic sense to make a thread. It would just be several long paragraphs of text followed by a final bout of insane hyperbole like "tl;dr, this is the most unique science fiction show ever created and if you consider yourself a fan of science fiction, you have to watch this before you die".
What you're saying is you need an editor.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
What you're saying is you need an editor.
Yup. And a designer, since the interwebs is all about something called "the multimedia". :lol

I'm trying to crap out an article for Bitmob and the hardest part of those is always finding pictures and shit. At least they have people who do all that stuff for you though; more power to web editors.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Anyways, thanks for the lists guys, here's a funny sub for your efforts:

3DqkI.jpg

Jex

Dresden said:
No one ever mentions Hakaba Kitarou on those '08 lists, was it any good? The opening is sweet, at least. By Kenji Nakamura as well (the OP, not the show).
Hot. But those shows are super niche, I've never come across a review or blog mentioning them in any great length, so who knows how good they are.

flawfuls

Dresden said:
No one ever mentions Hakaba Kitarou on those '08 lists, was it any good? The opening is sweet, at least. By Kenji Nakamura as well (the OP, not the show).

Well I never actually finished it, but from what I watched it was decent. It was very stylish and the visuals reminded me of Mononoke/Tapeze. It's not really for everyone though. Whether you like it or not probably depends on how much you can appreciate old school shounen horror.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Jexhius said:
Hot. But those shows are super niche, I've never come across a review or blog mentioning them in any great length, so who knows how good they are.
I'm more interested in the 1968 and 1971 versions anyway. Which are supposedly directed by Isao takahata!

flawfuls

Lafiel said:
I'm more interested in the 1968 and 1971 versions anyway. Which are supposedly directed by Isao takahata!

Why are there so many Kitarou adaptations and not a single Drifting Classroom adaptations. Kazuo Umezu's work would have benefited a lot from animation, music and constant screaming voice acting.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So i just found out today that the director of Anohana is the same one that directed Honey and Clover II in addition to Toradora - Oh dear it all makes sense now, expect tragedy mid-way through the series with some asian melodrama hamming it up.

Melodrama seems to be a significant trait of the director, looking at his track record!

Dresden said:
Yeah, I'm thinking about checking it out based on that alone. It did nicely on noitaminA as well, so there's that.

More investigation reveals that the artist who did this OP, Denki Groove, also did the OP/ED for Trapeze, which explains why I like its music so much. The PV for it is pretty cool too (low quality sadly).

flawfuls

Lafiel said:
So i just found out today that the director of Anohana is the same one that directed Honey and Clover II in addition to Toradora - Oh dear it all makes sense now, expect tragedy mid-way through the series with some asian melodrama hamming it up.

Melodrama seems to be a significant trait of the director, looking at his track record!

Those were both adaptations though so unless he altered both works to be that way it's not really his fault.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lafiel said:

Well, the latter two were adaptations so it's not his fault!

Lafiel said:

I thought the "also did Toradora" thing was already known, hence why some were interested.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
firehawk12 said:
Yeah, but the execution of the more dramatic scenes in both those shows definitely left me cold in a sense, even though Anohana is a original project, it seems to be treading down the same road both H&C 2 and Toradora did.:p

I thought the "also did Toradora" thing was already known, hence why some were interested.
It's the honey and clover II thing that's news to me.

Go_Ly_Dow

Tiger & Bunny 4

Its good that they're focusing on the other heroes. The way the episode would pan out was fairly predictable but it was enjoyable none the less.

firehawk12 said:

Well, I guess now we'll see his true colours! Hopefully the melodrama exceeds Toradora so it's memorable.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Asian angst is always delicious when served right. The only problem is that people tend to take it too far to wring out that extra plot thread that no one asked for... but hopefully 11 episodes means that it won't turn out that Menma was Jintan's half-sister or something.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
GaimeGuy said:
So, now that Madoka is over, I was thinking of going back and seeing what shows I might have missed over the last several years that might have been awesome.

Can anime-gaf tell me what shows from the last, say, five years are worth watching that I may have (or may not have) missed?

If I were only to pick a few I'd say:

Dennou Coil (it's really fucking great)
Gurren Lagann
Panty and Stocking w/ Garterbelt
Planetes
The Girl That Leapt Through Time

Note: I'm not saying these are the best of the past five years, I haven't seen enough anime to say that. But out of the handful that I have watched those were my favorites... for different reasons individually. I don't have a lot of free time, so I have to research a bit, and ask questions about shows on here before I commit to watching a season of anything.

Honorable mentions for me:

K-ON! & K-ON!!
Honey and Clover
Summer Wars

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I also need to add Spice & Wolf (both seasons). I truly think it was my favorite out all of them. Can't believe I forgot to mention it. Glorious anime... under-rated.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, I forgot to mention Mai Mai Miracle, the other Madhouse film no one has seen. Worth watching however you have to get a hold of it.

And since we did nonsensical comparisons yesterday: Mai Mai Miracle > Redline.
At least, that's what I'm assuming anyway. :lol

Go_Ly_Dow

Spice & Wolf is great and one of my top shows in recent years. Hopefully the announcement for the 3rd season is around the corner. I've been waiting long enough.

Risette

A Good Citizen
hosannainexcelsis said:
More investigation reveals that the artist who did this OP, Denki Groove, also did the OP/ED for Trapeze, which explains why I like its music so much. The PV for it is pretty cool too (low quality sadly).
Denki Groove is awesome. Another good thing about Trapeze: it got me into Denki Groove!

TheOddOne

Hanasaku Iroha 03 - Well you know Bondage and Lesbian scenes are just fine. Wait what? When did this show turn?

C 02 - Decent episode introducing the "Asset". Mikuni seems like a badass.

Sket Dance 02 - Hilarious. The message boxes hitting everybody was just... hilarious.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
icarus-daedelus said:
Spice & Wolf was such a pleasant surprise. I honestly expected some sort of furry propaganda out of it when people initially started talking it up.
Back in the day it was airing i had some kind of aversion to shows like it, and was mostly into sci-fic / action shows. It's weird how my own personal tastes have shifted towards those kind of shows like spice and wolf, these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom