• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Higurashi should have been on my list (for '06), that was interesting enough to list...
Yeah, interesting is how I'd put it, not really great but it's unique and worth a watch.
A Black Falcon said:
Apart from those though, Spice and Wolf and Minami-ke are the only other things on both of our lists.
I've always maintained you're like my polar opposite.
A Black Falcon said:
You didn't do a 2010 list though there, what about that year?:)
Of everything I watched in 2010 there was nothing that I felt was actually worth recommending going back and watching. I know you just wanted to see me put Sora no Woto up there but not happening, I don't think it's worth going back for.
A Black Falcon said:
Project A-ko isn't very good... a little amusing perhaps but not good. Also, those two versions look pretty similar, that's barely changed.
I actually know this. I know I'm going to watch it and wonder what the fuck I was thinking almost 20 years ago but I'm compelled to see it again. But the two pics are a lot different.

flawfuls

icarus-daedelus said:
Guys, shut up, there will be no more KEY adaptations. If you talk about them, it gives them more power. If I close my eyes, I know the monsters can't get me. ç_ç

So does your contract with the devil extend to all new Key shows as well?

Dresden

I guess it's some kind of a Japanese SF award. Tatami Galaxy and Lucifer up for awards and such.

Their book awards tripped me up because of how many old novels are in it, though. I guess they go by when the novels were translated into Japanese?

firehawk12 said:
A Game of Thrones 2: Hey, they managed to toss in some more sex!

Oh, wrong thread. :p
I thought there was too much ham in that ham sandwich for you? :p
icarus-daedelus said:
Guys, shut up, there will be no more KEY adaptations. If you talk about them, it gives them more power. If I close my eyes, I know the monsters can't get me. ç_ç
Angel Beats 2 should be coming out sooner than later.
InfiniteNine said:
I'm pretty sure Ryu hasn't written any H-scenarios.
Yeah, I don't think he has. That said maybe he should so he can live on his own or something.
jman2050 said:
Hell, After Story was roughly two-three years ago really. Wouldn't be surprised to hear KyoAni announce another Key anime some time in the near future.
I hope they try something original, actually.

Imagine the kind of effort going into Nichijou in something more... uh, serious?
Jexhius said:
Well, it started with a great episode and ended with a great episode but nearly everything in between was forgettable.
Pretty much.

zeroshiki said:
Sleep soundly in the knowledge that Key girls would have their asses handed to them by the K-On girls in this theoretical matchup.
Mugi whips everyone, so it's not a big surprise.
jman2050 said:
KEY FACEOOUGF(E*^F*&TAIYSVB D(
And it's not as uguu~ as their earlier efforts, I think.

mAcOdIn

Hitokage said:
Jealous Eyes(let it play past a minute and a half)
Wow, don't remember that arrangement of that song in the movie, pretty bad ass.

I still have a fond spot for the movie, it's like a demented Japanese Roadrunner and Coyote at first than tosses in a bad ass fight at school, transgendered aliens, awesome fighter jets and some sweet skirt animation.

Dresden

flawfuls said:
How the hell is Tatami Galaxy sci-fi at all? Actually most of those are not really sci fi.
Sci-fi covers fantasy as well, most of the time. And the term spec-fic never really got popular.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dresden said:
Yeah, I don't think he has. That said maybe he should so he can live on his own or something.
I dunno, most of his fanbase is girls and I'm pretty sure they'd want some Battler x George lovin' or something.

Jex

flawfuls said:
Oh thanks for that. I figure it had something to do with the convoluted Mazinger history.
Nothing convalesced about triple agents and DR.HELL not really being a bad guy at all, somehow.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
zeroshiki said:
There hasn't been a good mecha series in a while.
Man I've pretty much given up on mecha anime in general - gundam 00 s2 and macross frontier were both huge disappointments.

Then again i wouldn't mind a new macross or gundam series to discuss here week-by-week! i do wish BONES made something as good as Eureka seven again.

I hope they try something original, actually.

Imagine the kind of effort going into Nichijou in something more... uh, serious?
Maybe they'll make a original project, similar to what SHAFT did with madoka mmm.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jman2050 said:
Sex is never off topic in an anime thread!
True dat. Are people complaining about the fanservice in the OT?

Dresden said:
I thought there was too much ham in that ham sandwich for you? :p
It's a 20 episode long anime series... and I can skip all the boring stuff, also like anime, so what the hell. Maybe it'll be better than Dawg Dayz? :)

Mugi whips everyone, so it's not a big surprise.
Mugster > all.

Also, speaking of which, I was talking to Lafiel about Treme and it's basically K-On!! with adults, with a bit of Yakitate!! Japan for good measure.

Best animu ever, surely.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
How the hell is Tatami Galaxy sci-fi at all? Actually most of those are not really sci fi.
Wha? Tatami Galaxy's whole premise is predicated on a science fiction mainstay.

Ooo, glad Girl Who Leapt Through Time is nominated. Nice little flick.

Jex

Lafiel said:
Man I've pretty much given up on mecha anime in general - gundam 00 s2 and macross frontier were both huge disappointments.
There isn't really any incentive for the majority of anime studios to make a 'pure' mecha series a la VOTOMS, at the most we're going to get OVA's. What tends to sell well is mecha+, such as mecha+romance or mecha+school hijinks or mecha+CLAMP or mecha+subtext.

Not that there'd be a problem with most of those combinations if the shows themselves were any good. Largely they are not.

Then again, there's decades of mecha shows to get through so I won't be running low on content any time soon. But it's more exciting to have a group experience.

Articalys

Alright, Nichijou has one more episode to return to the madcap antics of the first two. Mai's trolling can't sustain the whole show for me.

Salazar

Incidentally, while I was watching "Never Let Me Go", the thought occurred that if it had been an animu—instead of featuring real live people—I would have been sobbing inconsolably instead of just disturbed.

I have no idea how that works.

flawfuls

firehawk12 said:
Wha? Tatami Galaxy's whole premise is predicated on a science fiction mainstay.

Ooo, glad Girl Who Leapt Through Time is nominated. Nice little flick.

Hmm I guess you're right. I usually associate sci-fi with something alien or futuristic not just some phenomenon that just happens in the background, but I guess that still qualifies as sci-fi.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Salazar said:
Incidentally, while I was watching "Never Let Me Go", the thought occurred that if it had been an animu—instead of featuring real live people—I would have been sobbing inconsolably instead of just disturbed.

I have no idea how that works.
I'm assuming there's a bit of dissonance when it comes to cartoons. It seems to work both ways anyway.

Gotta add Ishiguro to the backlog. Sigh.

flawfuls said:
Hmm I guess you're right. I usually associate sci-fi with something alien or futuristic not just some phenomenon that just happens in the background, but I guess that still qualifies as sci-fi.
As I get older, I've come to realize the best sci-fi doesn't require a ray gun or a starship.

Case in point, Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go.

icarus-daedelus said:

Did you finally finish?

*i never remember these things*

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
As I get older, I've come to realize the best sci-fi doesn't require a ray gun or a starship.

Case in point, Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go.
Heh I've noticed there is a certain group of people who would burn you on the stake for even classifying never let me go as sci-fic!

Dresden

Lafiel said:
Heh I've noticed there is a certain group of people who would burn you on the stake for even classifying never let me go as sci-fic!
They'd be as wrong as the sci-fi nerds who sneer at NLM for working with such a flimsy concept.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lafiel said:
As I, who have been stuck in academia forever, would say: "Fuck those fucking fucks up their pretentious fucking asses. Preferably with a copy of the Riverside Chaucer." :D

Also, Jane Austen is a chick-lit author and Shakespeare is the Michael Bay of the Renaissance. :lol

Dresden said:
They'd be as wrong as the sci-fi nerds who sneer at NLM for working with such a flimsy concept.
Fuck those guys too!

Articalys

Denpa Onna 2
As a disclaimer, I was a fan of Bakemonogatari, and with the same Shaft style in play here I'm loving this so far. Main VA is killing it. It was probably pointed out before, but Erio Tōwa = E.T. has to be intentional. They had the bike joke in the ending after all.

Ano Hana 2
Also pretty good, though I'm agreeing a little with the "creepy" side with the dress scene. Funny how it's a GBA SP, graphics are Gen III but it still sounds like an 80s arcade game. Menma isn't annoying yet, which is good. Another OST I'll want to look into later.

Dresden

Blue Exorcist:

This is good.

Minor complaint: Kamiya sounds off as Mephistopheles. The character deserved someone like Takahiro Sakurai.
Steroyd said:
I hear Gaf talked alot about this Infinite Stratos show to lololol.

Hating on Mecha shows is boring.
IS isn't mecha, though.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
zeroshiki said:
The Ghibli thread linked to this interview with Oshii discussing Ghibli:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/oshii_on_mt.html

And it could be the crappiness of the translation but Oshii comes across as rather jaded about the world. He can't appreciate Ghibli because he thinks Miyazaki's a dick and that he and Takahata require their people to show up in the morning and leave at night? What the hell?

He is
correct.

Dresden

zeroshiki said:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/oshii_on_mt.html

And it could be the crappiness of the translation but Oshii comes across as rather jaded about the world. He can't appreciate Ghibli because he thinks Miyazaki's a dick and that he and Takahata require their people to show up in the morning and leave at night? What the hell?
Sounds about right.

You should check out the interview where Miyazaki talks about how drawing Nausicaa made him stop being a Marxist, too. Let me find it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Miyazaki does come off as a dick from what my understanding, the way he treats his son is pretty terrible.:p

Plus judging from his movies alone he seems very misanthropic!

zeroshiki

Lafiel said:
Miyazaki does come off as a dick from what my understanding, the way he treats his son is pretty terrible.:p

I'm pretty sure Miyazaki's a get-off-my-lawn type but massive fail on Oshii's part in saying that Miyazaki's relevance was already over BEFORE Mononoke, Sen to Chihiro and Ponyo.

He also has his worldview and kinda pushes it in all his works.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
zeroshiki said:
I'm pretty sure Miyazaki's a get-off-my-lawn type but massive fail on Oshii's part in saying that Miyazaki's relevance was already over BEFORE Mononoke, Sen to Chihiro and Ponyo.

He's right about Miyazaki peaking at Future Boy Conan or around Castle of Caglistro though. :p

Dresden

Dawg Dayz 4:

I skipped episode three, and I doubt I missed much. This was pretty fun, and as a bonus it didn't have totally random fanservice like episode two. The main dude is a charming guy, none of that wishy-washy shit, he just rides in on his chocobo to get shit done.

hLD5Rl.jpg

Better than Nanoha, at least.
Lafiel said:

If Goro was my son I'd be pretty tempted to be a shit father too. Joking, joking.

Jex

zeroshiki said:

Miyazaki is kind of a dick and a slave driver. Nothing new there.

Dresden should be happy Dororon is out.

zeroshiki

Jexhius said:
Miyazaki is kind of a dick and a slave driver. Nothing new there.

Dresden should be happy Dororon is out.

Holy shit I just found out Hosoda is a Ghibli alum and was supposed to direct Howl's before quitting/getting replaced. That's kinda awesome.

Jex

It's all right, Oshii has mellowed out even more these days.

O: I saw Ponyo the other day and figured something out. I realized, “Oh, Suzuki Toshio had absolutely nothing to do with this movie,” and I was certain about it.
Staff: Absolutely nothing? (strained laughter)
O: That was a 100 percent Miya-san movie.
S: Well, it really is Miya-san’s movie.

O: The movie was 100 percent made by Miya-san.
S: Yes, that’s correct.
O: You didn’t lay a single finger on it. Or maybe you weren’t allowed to, I bet. That’s why it isn’t a complete film. What that means is that for all of Miya-san’s movies up until now, the only reason that they were real movies was because Toshio Suzuki was right there, or because Takahata Isao was right there.
S: Hm.
O: There wasn’t someone supervising this one to bring it all together as a film, this time.
S: Ah (impressed)
O: It’s a flight of fancy. I’ll keep going, and say that the movie is an explosion of desires, right? It’s a recovery film, isn’t it?

S: Was Ponyo bad?
O: Huh? What about it?
S: Was the movie no good?
O: No, it was interesting to watch. What I mean by that is that Miya-san’s wild ideas are interesting to watch. The problem is that it wasn’t a real movie. It wasn’t put together like a proper movie. Not one bit.

zeroshiki

Jexhius said:
It's all right, Oshii has mellowed out even more these days.

I kinda agree with Oshii there. My initial reaction after watching Ponyo was, "wow, that's it?" Its still a very well made movie, it just felt like Miyazaki went on too much of a tangent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom