• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
O: No, it was interesting to watch. What I mean by that is that Miya-san’s wild ideas are interesting to watch. The problem is that it wasn’t a real movie. It wasn’t put together like a proper movie. Not one bit.
What does oshii know about making "proper" movies!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Dororon enma-kun 3 - So wrong, yet so very awesome. I'm amazed how varied each episode has been in terms of theme, it's also easily the most consistent show this season. Every episode has been as good as the other!

The insert songs utilized in this episode, were also very cool.

AnoHana 01 - Aww.... so sad... :(

Really good though. I like it a lot. Whether AnoHana or Nichijou are show of the season will probably be determined by whether this show keeps up this level of quality.

As for the story, five broken people and their dead friend... the story's good, the characters are interesting, and it definitely succeeds and making you feel bad for them, and poor Menma.

"I just want that tomorrow to come"... but it can't. :(

Better than Hanasaku Iroha ep. 1? Most definitely, by a wide margin.

As for how the characters are broken, ep. 1 shows how a few of them (the main guy, most obviously) are, but I imagine it'll get to all of them. It's clearly not going to be a very happy show, but it's very well made.
Menma was a little annoyingly cutesy, but she's supposed to be -- the idea obviously is that she's a lot like how she was when she died, because that's how old she was then and dead people generally don't get older. They've changed, she hasn't. Makes sense, and fits the theme well.
If I have a complaint, it 's that the show is maybe too obvious about that -- the OP is quite unsubtle about what the plot's going to be about. No mystery here, just drama. I'm interested to see where the story will go, though.

Dresden said:
Dawg Dayz 4:

I skipped episode three, and I doubt I missed much. This was pretty fun, and as a bonus it didn't have totally random fanservice like episode two. The main dude is a charming guy, none of that wishy-washy shit, he just rides in on his chocobo to get shit done.

http://i.imgur.com/hLD5Rl.jpg

Better than Nanoha, at least.
Dog Days is nowhere near IS's level of quality, though. The story actually mostly makes sense, within its world, and the episodes follow reasonably from one to the next... boring. :D

Seriously though, yeah, it is an entertainingly stupid show.

Articalys said:
Alright, Nichijou has one more episode to return to the madcap antics of the first two. Mai's trolling can't sustain the whole show for me.
It was funny at pretty first, but even in ep. 3 as I said I was starting to get tired of it by the end... so ep. 4 has more of that? Oh well, I'm sure they will change.

Articalys said:
Speaking of Key, as its fourth main series, why did Little Busters never get an anime adaptation unlike its previous bretheren? They determined it wouldn't be a good fit for the market, or that it would get overshadowed by other stuff or what?

EDIT: Or maybe KyoAni realized they could make way more money by continuing to make more K-On and Haruhi stuff.
Good question, Key seems to have skipped it. Considering how good Angel Beats is (it's the best Key anime) that's not all bad, but who knows about their upcoming anime, maybe I'll be wishing it was this instead (if Little Busters is good, I don't know much about it), we'll see...

Dresden said:
I hope they try something original, actually.

Imagine the kind of effort going into Nichijou in something more... uh, serious?
KyoAni hasn't done serious in a while, though... do they remember how? :)

They are pretty good at what they do, but sure, it might be interesting to see them try that too.

mAcOdIn said:
Yeah, interesting is how I'd put it, not really great but it's unique and worth a watch.
Agreed. I never watched the second season, though... just didn't get around to it, usually I don't watch horror at all and I did watch the first season, but reading about what happened in season 2 was enough and I never actually watched it.

I've always maintained you're like my polar opposite.
In some ways at least, that does seem to be true. I didn't watch any of most of the shows in your list, though... I'm going to guess the same is true for you and a lot of the ones on mine?

Of everything I watched in 2010 there was nothing that I felt was actually worth recommending going back and watching. I know you just wanted to see me put Sora no Woto up there but not happening, I don't think it's worth going back for.
Oh, you should have said so ("there are no 2010 shows worth listing"). Just leaving the year off entirely looks odd, like your forgot. I mean, sure SnW did cross my mind, but mostly I just thought that you'd forgotten or left out 2010, not that you didn't think any were worth listing.

I actually know this. I know I'm going to watch it and wonder what the fuck I was thinking almost 20 years ago but I'm compelled to see it again. But the two pics are a lot different.
Probably so, yes. :)

I know I said it last time the series came up, but A-Ko 3 > 1 > 2. None are particuarly good, but the third comes the closest. I haven't seen the fourth (and final) one, though. Similarly I've only seen part 1 of the 2-part full sci-fi spinoff, A-Ko Versus Battle. It was pretty decent. More fighting, and more sci-fi.

jman2050 said:
Definitely not implying that in the least.

For me Azumanga and Toradora are 1A and 1B in my ranking of JC Staff shows.
Oh, alright, so you were referring to their other stuff then, and not Azumanga.

Steroyd

Neo C. said:
And I thought I'm the only one watching it. :p

This is animuGaf whether it's good, bad or terribad everyone is watching everything.

Asttarottes Toy - 03

Anime. Aging. How does it work!? D:

A Black Falcon said:
Better than Hanasaku Iroha ep. 1? Most definitely, by a wide margin.

Victory confirmed for team Hana Iro.

TheOddOne

A Black Falcon said:
AnoHana 01 - Aww.... so sad... :(

Really good though. I like it a lot. Whether AnoHana or Nichijou are show of the season will probably be determined by whether this show keeps up this level of quality.

As for the story, five broken people and their dead friend... the story's good, the characters are interesting, and it definitely succeeds and making you feel bad for them, and poor Menma.
Yeah, the second episode is just a strong. The first episode had some weird scenes though, but at the end of the episode I thought it worked well in the context.

Dresden said:
Blue Exorcist:

This is good.
<3 this man.

Steroyd

Beelzebub - 14

Mark it on your calendar lads, Tojou's coming to play next episode.

Says it all when the highlight of this episode is the next episode preview.

7Th

flawfuls said:
I've brought this up before, but somebody really needs to explain the ending of this show to me.
The bad guys just pulled a surprise victory and it just ended. You can't just end a series like that. It made me felt like I was missing something

Yasuhiro Imagawa syndrome.

duckroll

X TV concluded

Finally finished up ep19-24 today. Not a lot of choice episodes here, and a ton of reused footage even towards the end. The series definitely starts to falter towards the latter half, but it's still rather enjoyable as a CLAMP show. The strength of the series is very much in the characters and no the main plot, which is relatively paper-thin and does not have a great or satisfactory conclusion.

It's not surprising that Ando storyboarded the most exciting episode of the series though, and honestly it should have really ended with the pen-ultimate episode anyway. The final episode was pretty mediocre and a letdown in contrast. It's actually interesting to see some proto-Stranger style direction in the fight at the end of ep23, even though it is clear all the effort was on the part of Ando's storyboards, because the actual animation and execution was really cheap, just like most of the series in general.

It was nice to refresh my memory on the series and revisit this adaptation, but honestly, now I'm kinda hoping that if CLAMP ever continues and finishes the X manga, that Madhouse or another studio with better animation staff will do a complete redo ala FMA:B. The fights could certainly do with more animation frames... :p

Jex

Dororon 3

I don't if it's even possible to say anything here. There's just too much to handle.

Also, nice use of an ED that's very reminiscent of the GaoGaiGar ED.

Grzi

Blue Exorcist 2 was great. A surprisingly good show, think I'm going to stick with this one until the end.

Oh and seriously, you guys need to watch Black Jack (the 10 episode OVA). It's amazing.

/XX/

zeroshiki said:
I'm pretty sure Miyazaki's a get-off-my-lawn type but massive fail on Oshii's part in saying that Miyazaki's relevance was already over BEFORE Mononoke, Sen to Chihiro and Ponyo.
Keep in mind that the interview was made on May 17, 1995. I don't know if he would say the same nowadays.

Mamoru Oshii said:
More than anyone, he himself knows that his next movie, Mononoke Hime won't hold up (as a story) in principle. How in the world can he make a story like "they defeated the evil sheriff, and the village folks lived happily ever after" in this era? The world is filled with stories about things becoming worse after an evil sheriff got defeated, so how can he make children believe in (such a story)? The story of "defeat the dictator," like Horus: Prince of the Sun could be believed in back then, but what's the use of doing Horus now?
Mamoru Oshii said:
In terms of the persuasiveness of their films, it is true that they have just such a power, and it is also true that they have what I don't have. You can say that they have their own instinct for appealing to the general public. I think they have extraordinary energy in terms of making what they want to make, while surviving in the general consumer society with their ideological constitution of the 1960s intact. In the usual case, they should've been put into a museum a long time ago.
Mamoru Oshii, I suppose, considers relevant in a film only the social commentary of present times, and thinks that old values won't reach this nowadays (seemingly jaded) society. Then, every film should have an specific theme that he deems acceptable? And what he thinks about universal values, atemporal messages or simple and pure entertainment in them? What about the spectators that want to abstract themselves from their lives by means of a movie? Or to learn from those ideologies to have a broader image of today's world? Wouldn't that makes him somewhat disconnected with the general public? No, I think he simply has an opinion like he has his own ways of see filmmaking, personal and not absolute. In my opinion, films have the purpose their creators want for them and can reflect everything they want. I don't see his commentaries as an attack, I see them more like a perspective that those who know him personally (like Mr. Miyazaki, Mr. Takahata and Mr. Suzuki) will read between the lines.

Jexhius said:
Miyazaki is kind of a dick and a slave driver. Nothing new there.
I know you are (probably) half joking, Jexhius, and I'm not trying to defend mistreatments of any kind, but I suppose that for an already old and seasoned animator like Mr. Miyazaki, it's very hard to change that philosophy of work he experienced at Toei Animation in the 60's; working in time consuming and exhausting full-animation productions (as opposed to limited-animation ones made in that era by Mushi Productions, and later A Production), that has continued to make alongside Studio Ghibli (and as far as I know, he still works as hard as anyone there).

Blader

zeroshiki said:
The Ghibli thread linked to this interview with Oshii discussing Ghibli:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/oshii_on_mt.html

And it could be the crappiness of the translation but Oshii comes across as rather jaded about the world. He can't appreciate Ghibli because he thinks Miyazaki's a dick and that he and Takahata require their people to show up in the morning and leave at night? What the hell?

What do other animators think of Ghibli? As far as I know, they basically respect Ghibli. It's half love, and half hate. A general response would be: it's a tremendous place, but I don't want to go there. Because they control you too tightly (at Ghibli). For example, (they tell you) come in at 10 in the morning and go home at 10 in the evening, and you just keep on working for one or two years. At my place, no one comes in till evening, and no one knows who is doing what. And (the project) ends within 8 to 10 months cause I get bored. This is a more common way (of making animation).

:lol

duckroll

I'm going to say something controversial here: Howl's Moving Castle sucked because Miyazaki directed it. If Ghibli weren't made up of dickwads, and Hosoda got to finish directing his version without being forced out, it might actually have been a good film.

7Th

Some character designs for Toei's Kyousogiga have been released; character designer was also revealed: Yuki Hayashi.

c6310.jpg

Exk7A.jpg

lvvpM.jpg

T6kHS.jpg

They sure look a lot better than Kawamoto's designs for Towa no Quon.

Jex

duckroll said:
I'm going to say something controversial here: Howl's Moving Castle sucked because Miyazaki directed it. If Ghibli weren't made up of dickwads, and Hosoda got to finish directing his version without being forced out, it might actually have been a good film.
That's controversial?
/XX/ said:
I know you are (probably) half joking, Jexhius, and I'm not trying to defend mistreatments of any kind, but I suppose that for an already old and seasoned animator like Mr. Miyazaki, it's very hard to change that philosophy of work he experienced at Toei Animation in the 60's; working in time consuming and exhausting full-animation productions (as opposed to limited-animation ones made in that era by Mushi Productions, and later A Production), that has continued to make alongside Studio Ghibli (and as far as I know, he still works as hard as anyone there).
All I can say is: you have to work pretty damn hard to get something like Nausicaa made in eight months.

Joule

cosmicblizzard said:
Like I said, mid-game JRPG technique.
It looks better without that badly animated punch in the middle of it.

Dog Days 4: There were some pretty bleh animated portions in this episode like where Shinku and Eclair 'battle' with the cat grunts. Yukikaze and Brioche's entrance was better but still not as good as episode 2. Can the dog ninja's turn the tides against the cats? They're pretty cool in any case. Hopefully the next episode is more fun as they've set up a couple fights and Leon is going into the fray as well.

Point of amusement this episode:
WhXB1.gif

Dog days gaf where you at.

Branduil

duckroll said:
I don't see why saying Howl sucked should be controversial.

Dresden

Joule said:
WhXB1.gif

Dog days gaf where you at.
dat brofist

It's a fun show. I hope they don't bring out the completely random fanservice again like in episode two--seriously, her clothes exploded. It's kind of hilarious how unnecessary it was.

jman2050

Uchip said:
dororon 3
this episode gave me autism

Wait so what would it do to people who already have autism? (aka 70% of this thread)

EDIT - Okay I know it's the same studio and everything but could they at least try not to make Dog Days look like its own thing rather than a Nanoha spinoff?

Dresden

jman2050 said:
EDIT - Okay I know it's the same studio and everything but could they at least try not to make Dog Days look like its own thing rather than a Nanoha spinoff?
Who cares? It looks better than pretty much anything Nanoha-related, anyways.

And it's a better show.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
So it's... a serious baseball anime?
Not quite. It's a drama as listed on ANN where Minami learns how to be a manager from the Drucker's Management book she bought. It's less about baseball and more about converting the ideas from the book into practical ideas which can be used for something else like bettering the team. There's moments like Yuki telling Minami that isn't a real manager management book or Yuki telling how Minami can apply those ideas to lighten the mood of the show, so it's not a serious drama in that sense.

so1337

7Th said:
mgur.com/c6310.jpg[/IMG]
They sure look a lot better than Kawamoto's designs for Towa no Quon.
Where do you get ahold of these if you don't mind me asking? As someone who is really interested in character design I'm always happy to see you posting some of those.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
Not quite. It's a drama as listed on ANN where Minami learns how to be a manager from the Drucker's Management book she bought. It's less about baseball and more about converting the ideas from the book into practical ideas which can be used for something else like bettering the team. There's moments like Yuki telling Minami that isn't a real manager management book or Yuki telling how Minami can apply those ideas to lighten the mood of the show, so it's not a serious drama in that sense.
Is it going to be Taishou Baseball Girls then? Which was early 20th century feminism wrapped in moemoekyun?

Jex

flawfuls said:
Dororon 3

Wow.
It's pretty deep like that.
Geneijin said:
So how many episodes to bondage and dress sniffing?

I already have enough things to watch! But obviously I'll add it into rotation if it's good.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Toward The Terra 18

Easily one of the most exciting and episodes in the show. The way the balance of power shifts between hunter and hunted in pretty extreme.

Also, now it's pretty clear why they don't want those guys to breed. They create GODS. Which in turns leads to a massive (and in some sense, justified) superiority complex.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
I rewatched the fourth episode Hanasaku Iroha for the benefit of my little sister who's following the series as well, and I actually noticed a few things I missed on the first time through. Phrases, connections, imagery. I got the one where Drill Hair is talking about Tohru and Ohana thinks she's talking about the author, more when Tohru makes a comment about Ohana's physical development in comparison to Drill Hair's. Why would he know this? Oh, that's why. *squick*. Also that scene where Tohru's showing Minko how to skewer the sushi. That doesn't mean anything at all. I'm sure. Nope.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
Is it going to be Taishou Baseball Girls then? Which was early 20th century feminism wrapped in moemoekyun?
Nope. Unless you have a seiyuu fetish, there's a lack of moe here and I'd be hard pressed to call certain moments moe. It'll be a drama on how to rebuild/improve the team as Minami draws inspiration from the Drucker's Management book to deal with various problems because she sees the essence of its practicality in other facets of life when reading it unlike everyone else except Yuki who either laughs or ridicules the absurdity of it.

Eh, with shorter hair, that picture could have been taken straight out of OoFuri.
It's a reference to something that happened in Episode 1.

flawfuls

Yu Yu Hakusho

I have gotten to the Dark tournament and this is one of the most straightforward shounen I've ever seen. Usually there is some aspect of adventure or something, but after the first set of episodes it's pretty much all fights. Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with that, the fights are pretty decent and I think it being so straightforward makes it easier to plow through. Also it practically feels like Kuwabara is the main character at this point. He has been getting more dialogue and screen time than Yusuke.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Jexhius said:
Tohru is a filthy traitor.
Who would stick around for a rude, obnoxious, useless-in-the-kitchen passive girl when you can go for DRILL HAIR and marry into fortune.

Jex

Halycon said:
Who would stick around for a rude, obnoxious, useless-in-the-kitchen passive girl when you can go for DRILL HAIR and marry into fortune.
Oh, I don't care for passive girl but he's a traitor to his inn. Getting involved with the enemy is UNACCEPTABLE.

They should CUT HIM DOWN.

Wazzim

Banned
Can someone recommend me a good anime from the list in the OP? Just finished Darker than Black and would like something similar or else something moe to cheer me up.

Dresden

Wazzim said:
Can someone recommend me a good anime from the list in the OP? Just finished Darker than Black and would like something similar or else something moe to cheer me up.

The two best this season are probably:

Dororon Enma-kun (manly)
Hanasaku Iroha (moest of the moey moes)

and Blue Exorcist is by the same director as DtB, so there's that.

Wazzim

Banned
Dresden said:
The two best this season are probably:

Dororon Enma-kun (manly)
Hanasaku Iroha (moest of the moey moes)

and Blue Exorcist is by the same director as DtB, so there's that.
Thanks alot! I'll start with Blue Exorcist then, will definitely check those others out too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Jexhius said:
Oh, I don't care for passive girl but he's a traitor to his inn. Getting involved with the enemy is UNACCEPTABLE.

They should CUT HIM DOWN.
He's clearly doing it to spy on them.

Clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom