• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Better than Hanasaku Iroha ep. 1? Most definitely, by a wide margin.
Well, now I know I chose poorly.
grailknight.jpg

A Black Falcon said:
Agreed. I never watched the second season, though... just didn't get around to it, usually I don't watch horror at all and I did watch the first season, but reading about what happened in season 2 was enough and I never actually watched it.
First half was pretty good but the second half was just silly.
A Black Falcon said:
In some ways at least, that does seem to be true. I didn't watch any of most of the shows in your list, though... I'm going to guess the same is true for you and a lot of the ones on mine?
True, although some of what you listed like Bamboo Blade I watched and thought they were fine just, as I said, not worth recommending after the fact, if that makes sense.
A Black Falcon said:
Oh, you should have said so ("there are no 2010 shows worth listing"). Just leaving the year off entirely looks odd, like your forgot. I mean, sure SnW did cross my mind, but mostly I just thought that you'd forgotten or left out 2010, not that you didn't think any were worth listing.
Truthfully I didn't pay attention enough and didn't think we were doing 2010 since it was so recent.

2010's also funny because it's the first season where almost everything was licensed in my country so while theoretically that means I should have seen more anime than other seasons I actually watched less because of the hassle of different streaming subscriptions, different web portals and stuff like that.

I'm obviously more optimistic about the situation with more stuff being legally streamed but at the moment I find it painful as a XBMC whore to overcome my laziness. Now that the Hulu plugin is broken for XBMC for me to watch something from Viz or Funimation I have to either get off my ass and launch it on my computer and drag it to my TV or watch it on my shitty monitor, neither of which I like and with Crunchyroll it's the same thing except instead of launching their site I could also launch Boxee and move it to my TV. There are plugins for Windows Media Center that can launch Hulu, XBMC and Boxee so technically I can do it from my remote except about 50 percent of the time the app launched doesn't get focus and I still have to get up and Alt-Tab to it so I can use my remote. So frankly it's become troublesome for me to watch some of the legally streamed stuff as they're no longer watched on impulse but rather I have to have the physical motivation to do so. And, personally, it's a little insulting that after I spent so much time making such a cool media center PC in an effort to make Windows invisible and bypass my monitor that I have to use it now more than ever.

So I'm kinda pissed, I'd hoped that XBMC would get some of the plugins Boxee got like Hulu and Crunchyroll but it looks like that won't happen but moving to Boxee isn't really an option because it fucking sucks compared to XBMC however it seems everyone and their dog, including the Anime Network is doing an iOS plugin and AppleTVs aren't expensive but I don't think they can handle my Bluray rips and I don't have my NAS yet so I'd still have to leave my PC on, I just really don't want to watch stuff on my damn monitor!

A Black Falcon said:
Probably so, yes. :)

I know I said it last time the series came up, but A-Ko 3 > 1 > 2. None are particuarly good, but the third comes the closest. I haven't seen the fourth (and final) one, though. Similarly I've only seen part 1 of the 2-part full sci-fi spinoff, A-Ko Versus Battle. It was pretty decent. More fighting, and more sci-fi.
Of fucking hell no, anything of consequence is the first Project A-ko, there are no sequels.
pieatorium said:
Damn you, you were supposed to link to some dolphin or whale sounds so I could smack you down, I never even heard of this damn fish.

mAcOdIn said:
Damn you, you were supposed to link to some dolphin or whale sounds so I could smack you down, I never even heard of this damn fish.
Heh catch them fairly regularly here so it was the first thing that came to mind :). Catfish here make similar sounds sometimes but these (Creatively named lol) grunter do it almost every time.

mAcOdIn

pieatorium said:
Heh catch them fairly regularly here so it was the first thing that came to mind :). Catfish here make similar sounds sometimes but these (Creatively named lol) grunter do it almost every time.
Ah, I'm jealous, no water around me so I've never gotten to fish before. I always wanted to just can't ever get enough time off to go somewhere.
Geneijin said:
If it's my destiny to fall here I swear that I will take as many of the enemy along with me, I may be on the losing side but I'm not convinced it was the wrong side.

Geneijin

mAcOdIn said:
If it's my destiny to fall here I swear that I will take as many of the enemy along with me, I may be on the losing side but I'm not convinced it was the wrong side.
I'm more surprised you guys didn't think he'll like it. There have been clues about it =P

I guess most really don't read the posts between you two.

mAcOdIn

Geneijin said:
I'm more surprised you guys didn't think he'll like it. There have been clues about it =P

Hmm? What makes you think I thought he wouldn't like it more? I purposely asked so I could see it in writing, that's all. In the end, he's as predictable as I am.

Geneijin said:

Yeah, I thought I was probably going to like it, are people really so surprised? It's much more something I'd like than Hanasaku Iroha.

Also, apparently zerohiki and Steroyd like being wrong, I guess.

I'm not quite sure what he means there either.

mAcOdIn said:
Which one did you prefer? I don't remember. Are you saying it was Iroha?

If so then yes, you did. :)

flawfuls said:
Today in Class 5-2.
That show was so, so horrible... I watched an episode and a half of it when it came out, and regretted it (I should not have watched it that far). So bad.

mAcOdIn said:
First half was pretty good but the second half was just silly.
True, although some of what you listed like Bamboo Blade I watched and thought they were fine just, as I said, not worth recommending after the fact, if that makes sense.
If you liked something while watching it, I'd say it's worth listing... you really would say that you'd watch something, like it, and then say "don't watch it" to others? That makes no sense.

Truthfully I didn't pay attention enough and didn't think we were doing 2010 since it was so recent.
That's what I kind of thought.

2010's also funny because it's the first season where almost everything was licensed in my country so while theoretically that means I should have seen more anime than other seasons I actually watched less because of the hassle of different streaming subscriptions, different web portals and stuff like that.

I'm obviously more optimistic about the situation with more stuff being legally streamed but at the moment I find it painful as a XBMC whore to overcome my laziness. Now that the Hulu plugin is broken for XBMC for me to watch something from Viz or Funimation I have to either get off my ass and launch it on my computer and drag it to my TV or watch it on my shitty monitor, neither of which I like and with Crunchyroll it's the same thing except instead of launching their site I could also launch Boxee and move it to my TV. There are plugins for Windows Media Center that can launch Hulu, XBMC and Boxee so technically I can do it from my remote except about 50 percent of the time the app launched doesn't get focus and I still have to get up and Alt-Tab to it so I can use my remote. So frankly it's become troublesome for me to watch some of the legally streamed stuff as they're no longer watched on impulse but rather I have to have the physical motivation to do so. And, personally, it's a little insulting that after I spent so much time making such a cool media center PC in an effort to make Windows invisible and bypass my monitor that I have to use it now more than ever.

So I'm kinda pissed, I'd hoped that XBMC would get some of the plugins Boxee got like Hulu and Crunchyroll but it looks like that won't happen but moving to Boxee isn't really an option because it fucking sucks compared to XBMC however it seems everyone and their dog, including the Anime Network is doing an iOS plugin and AppleTVs aren't expensive but I don't think they can handle my Bluray rips and I don't have my NAS yet so I'd still have to leave my PC on, I just really don't want to watch stuff on my damn monitor!
Doing the legal thing, harder and more inconvenient than just downloading it as always...

Of fucking hell no, anything of consequence is the first Project A-ko, there are no sequels.
You haven't watched the sequels, right? So how do you know that they shouldn't count?

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Which one did you prefer? I don't remember. Are you saying it was Iroha?

If so then yes, you did. :)
I Chose AnoHana, same as you, that's how I know I'm on the losing side, lol.
A Black Falcon said:
If you liked something while watching it, I'd say it's worth listing... you really would say that you'd watch something, like it, and then say "don't watch it" to others? That makes no sense.
It's more like a "would I watch it if it happened to be on" type thing. There's lots of stuff on TV that I'll leave on if it happens to be on but that doesn't mean that I actually look forward to catching it or think about it while away or something like that. Like I'll watch Dharma and Greg(betcha' didn't see that coming) on TV because I love Jenna Elfman but you won't see me telling someone to actively seek out the show or buy the DVDs. That's where Sora no Woto, Bamboo Blade, Kannagi and some other stuff goes.
A Black Falcon said:
Doing the legal thing, harder and more inconvenient than just downloading it as always...
Yep, pain in the ass.
A Black Falcon said:
You haven't watched the sequels, right? So how do you know that they shouldn't count?
I can tell by the previews/trailers!

Geneijin

mAcOdIn said:
Hmm? What makes you think I thought he wouldn't like it more? I purposely asked so I could see it in writing, that's all. In the end, he's as predictable as I am.
That was my impression when reading one of your exchanges. Guess I was wrong.

A Black Falcon said:
Yeah, I thought I was probably going to like it, are people really so surprised? It's much more something I'd like than Hanasaku Iroha.
"tsk tsK' was in reference to the teasing than anything else.

My comment to mAcOdIn was something different, separate from my previous one.

I'm not quite sure what he means there either.
You mean me or mAcOdIn? My comment there was referring to the time when everyone talked about who reads through the animu thread.

MCD said:
Up to episode 11 in Bakuman and I really need to vent on how awful the women are in this anime.

Bitch please don't distract me from writing dem MANGOS.

Seriously, once they switch from manga world to romance it turns to shit.

Thats on the list of anime I need to resume, once I finish TTGL. Though Miyoshi is funny in the manga, hopefully that translated well to the anime.

mAcOdIn said:
I Chose AnoHana, same as you, that's how I know I'm on the losing side, lol.
Bah, it's not like EVERYTHING I like people here dislike or ignore... just sometimes. :)

It's more like a "would I watch it if it happened to be on" type thing. There's lots of stuff on TV that I'll leave on if it happens to be on but that doesn't mean that I actually look forward to catching it or think about it while away or something like that. Like I'll watch Dharma and Greg(betcha' didn't see that coming) on TV because I love Jenna Elfman but you won't see me telling someone to actively seek out the show or buy the DVDs. That's where Sora no Woto, Bamboo Blade, Kannagi and some other stuff goes.
I do understand what you mean there, but what matters the most is how whether you liked it... but also, with anime you didn't just watch it if it was on, you did have to seek it out so it is a little different you know. It still partially sounds like you're saying "I watched it once but wouldn't again so I won't list it", which I think is wrong -- whether something is good enough to replay is only one factor in quality. How good it was the first time is what matters the most. The same applies to videogames, there are games I've beaten and haven't replayed through, but love...

But if you just mean "they were okay but I didn't like them enough to want to list them", that's perhaps okay. That's probably where Kannagi would be on my list, for instance.

I do agree that saying "you should buy it" requires a higher standard, though. But "watch"and "buy" are different, and anyway with how different each person's tastes are people should probably usually watch first anyway, unless they're really sure they'll like something.

Yep, pain in the ass.
Indeed.

I can tell by the previews/trailers!
The second one is indeed awful, but the third isn't that bad.

Geneijin said:
I didn't understand what he meant either, so it's not just you...

"tsk tsK' was in reference to the teasing than anything else.
Yeah, teasing like that isn't that nice, but oh well...

You mean me or mAcOdIn? My comment there was referring to the time when everyone talked about who reads through the animu thread.
Oh, okay, yeah, I misread your post, I see what you meant now. And you're right, anyone surprised that I'd like AnoHana definitely hasn't been reading many of my posts in, um, the last year or more.

trejo said:
I'm not following this little exchange between you three at all.
I'm struggling to understand it myself...

trejo

Blue Exorcist 2

A better episode than the first with more action, some better pacing and less wonky exposition. It still gives me a "been there done that" vibe but since the execution is mostly well done I don't mind too much. I find myself wanting to know where it goes from here now that they got rid of one of the more promising characters even though I feel they could have done more to flesh him out. As it stands, I find myself not caring all that much that he's gone.

I don't like Mephistopheles' character design. It comes off as garish just for the sake of it.

flawfuls

Moshidora 1

That was pretty interesting. It's seems like it will be a pretty standard baseball, but with the whole management twist. Basically exactly what you would expect given the description. To be honest it's not a very impressive adaptation. It seems very low budget, but it doesn't really bother me much. I'm a sucker for baseball anime so I'm sure I will enjoy this and the fact that it will all come out within two weeks is awesome.

XiaNaphryz said:
So what would Moshidora be best compared to? Oofuri, Major, Cross Game, Princess Nine...?

I would say that it is the most similar to Oofuri though not nearly as well done.

Joule

Moshidora 1: Well it's not bad though not really amazing either. Might turn out to be a nice little show. Animation is a bit lacking though. Will continue on to see how Minami applies Drucker to baseball.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
flawfuls said:
I would say that it is the most similar to Oofuri though not nearly as well done.
Does it have an author surrogate who surrounds herself with pretty boys and does it fetishize every single pitch in a baseball game?! :lol

Ah, I kid Oofuri, I kid.

jman2050

firehawk12 said:
Does it have an author surrogate who surrounds herself with pretty boys and does it fetishize every single pitch in a baseball game?! :lol

Ah, I kid Oofuri, I kid.

Every pitch in a baseball game is a tense struggle that could decide the fate of every person on the field.

Fetishizing every pitch is one of Oofuri's strong suits!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jman2050 said:
Every pitch in a baseball game is a tense struggle that could decide the fate of every person on the field.

Fetishizing every pitch is one of Oofuri's strong suits!
icarus-daedelus said:
I don't even like baseball and Oofuri makes me think that I, too, might secretly have a pitch fetish.

Oh don't get me wrong, Oofuri is the only reason why I like baseball now. It's still funny to watch though, after the fact.

Geneijin said:
I know it's late but whatever:

http://i.imgur.com/SxSCE.jpg[IMG]

Bring it on.[/quote]
Was ist los?

mAcOdIn

Geneijin said:
If you're referring to what I think you are it was a tongue-in-cheek statement when I first posed the question before he had seen either show.
A Black Falcon said:
Bah, it's not like EVERYTHING I like people here dislike or ignore... just sometimes. :)
Most times!
A Black Falcon said:
I do understand what you mean there, but what matters the most is how whether you liked it... but also, with anime you didn't just watch it if it was on, you did have to seek it out so it is a little different you know. It still partially sounds like you're saying "I watched it once but wouldn't again so I won't list it", which I think is wrong -- whether something is good enough to replay is only one factor in quality. How good it was the first time is what matters the most. The same applies to videogames, there are games I've beaten and haven't replayed through, but love...

But if you just mean "they were okay but I didn't like them enough to want to list them", that's perhaps okay. That's probably where Kannagi would be on my list, for instance.

I do agree that saying "you should buy it" requires a higher standard, though. But "watch"and "buy" are different, and anyway with how different each person's tastes are people should probably usually watch first anyway, unless they're really sure they'll like something.
But then you also have to take into account that for some shows part of the enjoyment is from watching it at the same time as everyone else, going back and watching an older show alone loses that feeling. So like in Kannagi we all had fun with "It's a Sony," but someone watching it for the first time would still find it mildly amusing but wouldn't really get to take part in the image spamming on this forum or elsewhere for that matter. In Taisho Yakyuu Musume we all had fun posting Koume's little song and dance from the first episode, that's no longer going to happen as much. So for a lot of shows that walk the decent line a large part of their enjoyment is directly tied to everyone else seeing it at roughly the same time, it's a group thing. So it's not so much that I left them off because I thought watching them now is harder than it was then but because without that group experience I didn't think they were as good.

So with how I rank things, worth buying and worth going back and watching alone are more or less the same thing.
A Black Falcon said:
The second one is indeed awful, but the third isn't that bad.
Lies!

Geneijin

Infinite Justice said:
Is this Idolmaster ?
Yes.

mAcOdIn said:
If you're referring to what I think you are it was a tongue-in-cheek statement when I first posed the question before he had seen either show.
That would explain it since I don't remember the exact quote either.

flawfuls

Man why does Idolmaster have such awesome artwork?

firehawk12 said:
If only.

Geneijin

trejo said:
Is this new Idolmaster animu also gonna have giant robots?
Many fans would consider that one a disaster I think?

And Xenoglossia was more like a spin-off than a true adaptation I think as well?

jman2050

trejo said:
Do the games have an actual plot they can draw from?

Raising up young nubile ladies under your oppressive thumb Disney channel-style and exploiting them for fame and fortune isn't enough of a plot for you?

mAcOdIn

Baseball does pretty much suck, I'd rather have professional level dodgeball than baseball.

In fact, a dodgeball anime would be EPIC.

mAcOdIn

jman2050 said:
http://i52.tinypic.com/mkjh2.png
I wish her VA had balls so I could hit 'em with a ball, if I ever get to play a game of dodgeball with her in real life I'll unfortunately just have to aim for the face, how boring.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
Baseball is great as long as you like one of the 5 teams that contends every year and not one of the farm teams.
Our you live in a city that hangs on wins from 20 years ago.
92 and 93 baby!

Moeshidora was neat. The infodump wasn't too infodumpy, even though the characters did stand around and talk about the book for the sake of just talking about the book. It figures they'd go with the sick girl though... Cross Game already did that gimmick. :p
But, baseball slice of life... can't really lose with that combination I guess.

I'm also surprised that the Mio actress changed her voice though. I don't know if she's doing it herself or if it's being autotuned or whatever, but they pitched it up... maybe to make her sound younger?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
mAcOdIn said:
I wish her VA had balls so I could hit 'em with a ball, if I ever get to play a game of dodgeball with her in real life I'll unfortunately just have to aim for the face, how boring.
I'd imagine someone who's a part of the idol culture of Japan would suffer more from a broken nose than testicle torsion...

jman2050

Branduil said:
Baseball is great as long as you like one of the 5 teams that contends every year and not one of the farm teams.

Your team just finished a run at the World Series, beating the Yankees in the process in fact.

So I suggest you kindly shut the hell up.

mAcOdIn

doomed1 said:
I'd imagine someone who's a part of the idol culture of Japan would suffer more from a broken nose than testicle torsion...
Hey now, I want to do what I want to do and it has no bearing on what it does to the other person.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Eyeshield 21 is better anyway, shame the adaptation sucked so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom