• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

jman2050 said:
Your team just finished a run at the World Series, beating the Yankees in the process in fact.

So I suggest you kindly shut the hell up.
I don't really see how a team getting to the World Series for the first time in 40 years, and then still losing disproves my point.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
mAcOdIn said:
Hey now, I want to do what I want to do and it has no bearing on what it does to the other person.
Okay, just all I'm saying is that if Rie got her nose broken, she might end up sounding less annoying to you! Never know!

mAcOdIn

doomed1 said:
Okay, just all I'm saying is that if Rie got her nose broken, she might end up sounding less annoying to you! Never know!
So you're telling me I should break her nose? That's twisted man, I just want to hit her in the balls, that's like, way less offensive.

Joule

firehawk12 said:
Our you live in a city that hangs on wins from 20 years ago.
92 and 93 baby!
Not that I'm really into the jays but I miss the old logo.

Enma 3: That was something else. I'm quite amused though.

Enron

Banned
jman2050 said:
Your team just finished a run at the World Series, beating the Yankees in the process in fact.

Wait, what is this foolishness

RangerGAF is comprised of me, cashman, and inquisitor. no one else!

Never heard of this branduil fellow D:

mAcOdIn said:
Baseball does pretty much suck, I'd rather have professional level dodgeball than baseball.

In fact, a dodgeball anime would be EPIC.

Maybe this will get an anime some day.

Blue Exorcist 2

That was AWESOME! This is the kind of setup all great battle shows have. I'm SERIOUSLY tempted to start the manga this very moment. Also, the preview is giving me a MAJOR Soul Eater vibe.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
I'm also surprised that the Mio actress changed her voice though. I don't know if she's doing it herself or if it's being autotuned or whatever, but they pitched it up... maybe to make her sound younger?
She always had that range even as Mio.

Branduil said:
Baseball is great as long as you like one of the 5 teams that contends every year and not one of the farm teams.

U mad?

Baseball has the most parity of any of the four major sports. There have been 9 different World Series winners in the last 10 years (only the Red Sox have won twice in that time span), and 14 of the 30 teams have reached the series in that time span. There are only five teams who have failed to reach the playoffs in that time frame (the Blue Jays, Orioles, Royals, Expos/Nationals and Pirates), and all of those teams except the Pirates and Orioles have at least contended for a playoff spot (and MLB lets the fewest teams into the playoffs of the major sports).

jman2050

Enron said:
Wait, what is this foolishness

RangerGAF is comprised of me, cashman, and inquisitor. no one else!

Never heard of this branduil fellow D:

That's cause you all are cool. Unlike branduil.

KuwabaraTheMan said:

He gets to watch the Mavericks choke away high playoff seeds on a yearly basis and watch them waste Dirk's prime.

I'd say that's a good reason to be mad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Joule said:
Not that I'm really into the jays but I miss the old logo.
I don't even know what the new one looks like. :lol

Geneijin said:
She always had that range even as Mio.
I dunno, she sounds lower in IS and K-On.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
U mad?

Baseball has the most parity of any of the four major sports. There have been 9 different World Series winners in the last 10 years (only the Red Sox have won twice in that time span), and 14 of the 30 teams have reached the series in that time span. There are only five teams who have failed to reach the playoffs in that time frame (the Blue Jays, Orioles, Royals, Expos/Nationals and Pirates), and all of those teams except the Pirates and Orioles have at least contended for a playoff spot (and MLB lets the fewest teams into the playoffs of the major sports).
I think Toronto fans just hate the American East. It makes no sense to have the two asshole teams in the same division, especially when only 4 teams per league make the playoffs.

Branduil

KuwabaraTheMan said:
U mad?

While that's true, most teams have to spend years tanking and building from their farm system for a chance at a couple years of contention. Only teams like the Yankees and Red Sox can afford to contend every year.

The NFL is the only sport that's gotten parity right.

jman2050 said:
That's cause you all are cool. Unlike branduil.

He gets to watch the Mavericks choke away high playoff seeds on a yearly basis and watch them waste Dirk's prime.

I'd say that's a good reason to be mad.

Why would I, as a lifelong Lakers fan, care about that?

hellclerk

mAcOdIn said:
So you're telling me I should break her nose? That's twisted man, I just want to hit her in the balls, that's like, way less offensive.
What? No, I like Rie's acting. You're just being silly.

Oh, and for the record:
Red Sox fan in Yankee land from before the Red Sox won that world series a few years back.

firehawk12 said:
I think Toronto fans just hate the American East. It makes no sense to have the two asshole teams in the same division, especially when only 4 teams per league make the playoffs.

Yeah, the AL East is a harsh division to be in. The Blue Jays are a great team stuck in the same division as three of the best teams in baseball.

Branduil said:
While that's true, most teams have to spend years tanking and building from their farm system for a chance at a couple years of contention. Only teams like the Yankees and Red Sox can afford to contend every year.

The NFL is the only sport that's gotten parity right.

The Cardinals are a perennial contender without a massive payroll, and the As have generally contended on shoestring budgets. Teams with more financial resources have an advantage, but plenty of teams can succeed without that.

And haven't the Patriots and Steelers won like 5 of the last 10 Super Bowls?

Instro

KuwabaraTheMan said:
U mad?

There have been 10 different SuperBowl champs since 2000.

jman2050

doomed1 said:
What? No, I like Rie's acting. You're just being silly.

Oh, and for the record:
Red Sox fan in Yankee land from before the Red Sox won that world series a few years back.

Wait hold on you're a Red Sox fan too?

I don't know whether that's incredibly unfortunate or incredibly perfect.

Articalys

Would you like to know what happens when you pit two characters from a series against another, one of whom is exponentially more popular than the other, in a moe contest?
You get a 6139-1396 curbstomping of Shiina by Kanade Tachibana. Which is actually what would happen in-series too, come to think of it.
In the exhibition match, which I'm sure everyone here is more interested in, Rei Ayanami defeats Alice Carroll by a score of 3675-2486, proving Eva > Aria, for now.

This is really boring; they've probably rigged the schedule again so all the high-profile matches happen at the end of the rounds. Just come back in two weeks for the first-round free-for-all.

Joule

Articalys said:
Would you like to know what happens when you pit two characters from a series against another, one of whom is exponentially more popular than the other, in a moe contest?
You get a 6139-1396 curbstomping of Shiina by Kanade Tachibana. Which is actually what would happen in-series too, come to think of it.
In the exhibition match, which I'm sure everyone here is more interested in, Rei Ayanami defeats Alice Carroll by a score of 3675-2486, proving Eva > Aria, for now.

This is really boring; they've probably rigged the schedule again so all the high-profile matches happen at the end of the rounds. Just come back in two weeks for the first-round free-for-all.
Shiina is more interesting and amusing though. She's a goofy ninja.

Alice would beat Rei in a more perfect slice of life world. Good showing though I guess.

---

All this baseball talk reminds me that despite marathoning much of the Oofuri manga, I haven't looked into the anime at all.

hellclerk

jman2050 said:
Wait hold on you're a Red Sox fan too?

I don't know whether that's incredibly unfortunate or incredibly perfect.
Yeah, I'm really casual with baseball, so I only really peripherally follow it, but I don't bandwagon. My favorite team was the Red Sox when I was 8, they'll be my favorite when I'm 88. If I had to read anything on baseball though, Adachi would be my main source.

I'm more of a football person though I tend to dislike most media associated with it (Go Pats!). Who knows, maybe Adachi'll create an American football manga. :3

Joule said:
All this baseball talk reminds me that despite marathoning much of the Oofuri manga, I haven't looked into the anime at all.

Do it. The anime does a wonderful job of bringing the manga to life. It's a really wonderful show.

jman2050

Articalys said:

Erm, is that not the whole point of seeding in tournament brackets?

Or are they doing round robins right now or what?

Articalys

jman2050 said:
Erm, is that not the whole point of seeding in tournament brackets?

Or are they doing round robins right now or what?
Yeah, their structure is amusingly complex. 49 round robin matches, broken into 7 rounds of 7 each, at the end of which the top records at that time compete for a prize for that round. After all 49 the top 16 enter a single elim bracket for the grand prize.

Or you can read their laughably overblown charter. So much work for an internet poll, my gosh.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Joule said:
Boy moe is best moe! Makes sense to watch it if you like the manga anyhoo.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Yeah, the AL East is a harsh division to be in. The Blue Jays are a great team stuck in the same division as three of the best teams in baseball.

All baseball needs to do is cut the number of games and go to a 16 team playoff series like the other sports.

Geneijin

Because I was always curious since it aired, the internet has finally solved this question for me:

Wonder how it sounds. I know the Mio phones are pretty good phones actually.

firehawk12 said:
I dunno, she sounds lower in IS and K-On.
Maybe it's just be me then. I recognize her voice since the PV, so I don't hear much of a difference when watching Moshidora because I heard her so much from K-On and IS. In IS, she's almost always low, but in K-On, when she's sometimes involved in jokes, she tends to raise her voice to that range, so her voice in Moshidora doesn't surprise me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I do find it strange that sports anime works in Japan when it's clear from this thread that sports and nerds generally don't mix well.

Although, I suppose Adachi is sort of close to Friday Night Lights.

Geneijin said:
Maybe it's just be me then. I recognize her voice since the PV, so I don't hear much of a difference when watching Moshidora because I heard her so much from K-On and IS. In IS, she's almost always low, but in K-On, when she's sometimes involved in jokes, she tends to raise her voice to that range, so her voice in Moshidora doesn't surprise me.
She shrieks in K-On, but I don't remember her going high. I was going to say maybe it's just me myself though, because Mioshidora sounds complete different. Not different enough that you can't recognize the voice, but still enough for me to notice anyway.

Branduil

Geneijin said:
Because I was always curious since it aired, the internet has finally solved this question for me:

As expected, Ohana is the much more practical and frugal girl.

Articalys

Geneijin said:

Know what this reminds me of?
This detailed list of all weaponry used in Angel Beats!

hellclerk

mAcOdIn said:
Don't worry about it, sorry I insulted your Kugipie, can we still be friends?
No, but not because of Rie, I couldn't care less. It's because:

mAcOdIn said:
I saw fencing on TV once, didn't like it.
ns7xc.png

I would murder for a good fencing anime...

mAcOdIn said:
Baseball does pretty much suck, I'd rather have professional level dodgeball than baseball.

In fact, a dodgeball anime would be EPIC.
Baseball is the best sport, no other sports are particularly interesting in comparison...

So, as a New Englander, I love the Red Sox. Pretty mixed season so far, hopefully things go more like the current good streak than the awful one they started with...

Branduil said:
Baseball is great as long as you like one of the 5 teams that contends every year and not one of the farm teams.
That stereotype is out there, but it's false. There has been much more variation in baseball World Series winners than in, say, NBA (or some other sports too I think title winners over the past couple of decades. Much more I believe.

jman2050 said:

That's always a plus, the Yankees are evil. :)

firehawk12 said:
So which one of them is a pretty boy? :)
There is one in the second game apparently, but I don't know if he's going to be in the anime...

tiff said:
I don't think I see him.
So he isn't? Huh.

trejo said:
Is this new Idolmaster animu also gonna have giant robots?
Ah yes, Idolmaster Xenoglossia... I thought it was decent through about halfway, but I didn't like the dark turn it took at that point (should have been expected, from Sunrise, but still I didn't like it) and dropped it a bit after that... still though, the first half was entertaining.

mAcOdIn said:
If you're referring to what I think you are it was a tongue-in-cheek statement when I first posed the question before he had seen either show.
I vaguely remember that, but not exactly what you said...

Most times!
I don't agree, sure some are divisive but plenty of the shows I've written about have at least some fans.

And if no one says anything in response, I'd probably take that more as "no one bothered to watch / to read my post" than dislike...

You don't know for sure, you didn't watch them.

mAcOdIn

doomed1 said:
I would murder for a good fencing anime...
I think one of the girls in Princess Lover was a fencer, you should give it a go!
A Black Falcon said:
Baseball is the best sport ever, no other sports are particularly interesting in comparison...
Lol, wrong again!
A Black Falcon said:
I don't agree, sure some are divisive but plenty of the shows I've written about have at least some fans.
Everything has some fans, everything.
A Black Falcon said:
You don't know for sure, you didn't watch them.
Oh I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom