• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hitokage said:
So, uh, Madoka 1-12

F1WoS.gif
So you loved it? :D

Joe Molotov

Softenni Ep. 3

I doubt anyone's watching this, but...

4psMm.jpg

F9Zzj.jpg

iZLIu.jpg

...this part made me laugh. Also, I appreciate the creators' dedication to their craft by squeezing in a hot springs episode this early in the series.

Joule

Joe Molotov said:
Softenni Ep. 3

I doubt anyone's watching this, but...

...this part made me laugh. Also, I appreciate the creators' effort to their craft by squeezing in a hot springs episode this early in the series.
It's not best show but it does have an amusing gag here and there. I like it well enough to keep watching it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Joule said:
It's not best show but it does have an amusing gag here and there. I like it well enough to keep watching it.
I'm still shocked about the 1 minute of cut footage. So lazy.

I think that's my icarus/Geneijin moment of the season... although, obviously, which much lower stakes. :lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
InfiniteNine said:
So you loved it? :D
One could say it was a nice installment in the tradition of unorthodox magical girl shows, but "unorthodox" really isn't the right term since this stuff has always been around since magical girls started fighting evil. However, it would have been a better show if it wasn't Shaft.

firehawk12 said:

I think that's my icarus/Geneijin moment of the season... although, obviously, which much lower stakes. :lol
Yea, that was kind of unbelievable. The fact that they did it is one thing, but then they held it for so long. Oh well, it's not like I or anyone else is actually expecting anything from this anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Master Milk said:
Yea, that was kind of unbelievable. The fact that they did it is one thing, but then they held it for so long. Oh well, it's not like I or anyone else is actually expecting anything from this anime.
I just wonder how far ahead these things are locked and whether or not they had a chance either to animate a new scene or just have an shorter edit and gave have more commercial time or even an omake at the end.

Or maybe by this time everyone's working on the final episode so the best they could do was a crappy anime logo floating around the screen.

I dunno, it just seems unprecedented. I'd have almost preferred if they just pulled the episode entirely and then sold it as a "DVD bonus". Although, since it was a servisu episode, I guess it had to air just to make the discs worth selling.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Hitokage said:
One could say it was a nice installment in the tradition of unorthodox magical girl shows, but "unorthodox" really isn't the right term since this stuff has always been around since magical girls started fighting evil. However, it would have been a better show if it wasn't Shaft.
Amen.

jman2050

My SHAFT-hating radar just went off, what's going on?

Oh, Madoka. Well, you love Shaft, you love them, you don't, you don't. Nothing more to say on that.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:

Hm, I was wondering what you were referring to until it suddenly clicked.

By the way, even if it was a joke at the time, I swear I'm blaming you for this. Episode 3 is going to be interesting to say the least.

Uchip

Banned
Infinite Justice said:
So i see Uchip is trolling the thread once again lol
Trolling is a word thrown around by people with weak counter arguments
anyway.. my net died (at a cafe now) so i couldnt post any more...
so there will be no "trolling" for a while :)

firehawk12 said:
I just wonder how far ahead these things are locked and whether or not they had a chance either to animate a new scene or just have an shorter edit and gave have more commercial time or even an omake at the end.

Or maybe by this time everyone's working on the final episode so the best they could do was a crappy anime logo floating around the screen.

I dunno, it just seems unprecedented. I'd have almost preferred if they just pulled the episode entirely and then sold it as a "DVD bonus". Although, since it was a servisu episode, I guess it had to air just to make the discs worth selling.
Whenever I see stuff like that I just assume they're trolling for DVD/BD sales. The obnoxious animal head censors taking up half the screen anytime a pair of panties thinks about appearing on screen is the same thing.

They should know what will and won't fly past censors, if they even care about 2 AM anime. The studios are just trolling, a little too hard with this last ep.

The DVD version of Kanamemo Ep 5 was so much fun but still had too much steam. Trolling hard, but Haruka was still awesome.

Geneijin

How ironic.

Joule said:
I thought this was apparent in episode 2's preview anyway?

All I got from that link was there's going to be a bbq.
The preview to Episode 2 or the preview at the end of Episode 2?

You're asking a person who didn't expect it when it happened. ;(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Master Milk said:
Whenever I see stuff like that I just assume they're trolling for DVD/BD sales. The obnoxious animal head censors taking up half the screen anytime a pair of panties thinks about appearing on screen is the same thing.

They should know what will and won't fly past censors, if they even care about 2 AM anime. The studios are just trolling, a little too hard with this last ep.

The DVD version of Kanamemo Ep 5 was so much fun but still had too much steam. Trolling hard, but Haruka was still awesome.
I think it's clear that it was a tsunami scene though, not a "too hot for TV" scene.
At least, when you end the scene with the entire school being flooded, that's the safe assumption.

firehawk12 said:
I think it's clear that it was a tsunami scene though, not a "too hot for TV" scene.
At least, when you end the scene with the entire school being flooded, that's the safe assumption.
Didn't one of the chicks end up completely naked? I wasn't paying attention to the tsunami.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
jman2050 said:
My SHAFT-hating radar just went off, what's going on?

Oh, Madoka. Well, you love Shaft, you love them, you don't, you don't. Nothing more to say on that.

I actually like SHAFT and a number of their shows, but i couldn't help but feel throughout it's entire run that Madoka would have been a lot better in the hands of a other studio + director, i mean the fact that the best episode in the entire series wasn't even done by SHAFT proves my point, kinda.

Joule

Geneijin said:
How ironic.

The preview to Episode 2 or the preview at the end of Episode 2?

You're asking a person who didn't expect it when it happened. ;(
The preview at the end of Episode 2. I have a pretty good feeling that the one off shot of
the girl in a white dress was a dress up Anaru.
I could be wrong but that's how I took it.

Branduil

Hitokage said:
More conventional, probably. Better, I doubt.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Master Milk said:
Didn't one of the chicks end up completely naked? I wasn't paying attention to the tsunami.
Well, they would have done the censorship stickers anyway, if that was really the problem. :lol

Hitokage said:
More conventional? As if Shaft actually broke their run of unoriginal works here? :p
Boring Shaft is still more interesting than nearly everything else out there.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think Branduil means conventional in terms of camera direction, animation, art style, etc.

There would be no Ume faces, Ikea showrooms, Impossible Architecture, Shinbo Head Tilt (TM), etc etc.

Can you imagine PMMM without Unlimited Rocket/Musket Works. It is not a world I want to live in.

Branduil

Hitokage said:
More conventional? As if Shaft actually broke their run of unoriginal works here? :p
I was referring more to direction and style than anything. Looking for "originality" in storytelling is an impossible game.

Seikon no Qwaser II - Ep 3
Fun episode. I must admit, I was literally as happy as Hana was. I love Hana's VA...ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-katja sama! "Tremble! Prostrate yourself before me in fear!" is definitely one of my favorite catchphrases, so brutal when they say it.

Geneijin

Joule said:
The preview at the end of Episode 2. I have a pretty good feeling that
the one off shot of the girl in a white dress was a dress up Anaru.
I could be wrong but that's how I took it.
Look at everyone's wrist. Now that you mention it, Anaru is a possibility but the preview didn't show Yukiatsu's, which is why I suspect it's him. Plus, he has a watch on his left wrist as shown in the OP.

7Th

Branduil said:
I was referring more to direction and style than anything. Looking for "originality" in storytelling is an impossible game.

I'm pretty sure Nonoriri was talking about that, too.

Haly

You take what you can get when it comes to anime, I think that's why most of us enjoyed PMMM so much.

It wasn't particularly special, just an old formula that was well executed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Joule said:
The preview at the end of Episode 2. I have a pretty good feeling that the one off shot of the girl in a white dress was a dress up Anaru. I could be wrong but that's how I took it.
Just watched it again and it looks like Anaru or perhaps the other random girl that shows up.

And, I also noticed that Hourou Musuko and Working and another anime whose name I can't read/recognize popped up in the credits... which means they do somehow get permission or work something out with those companies before putting them into the show.

I still don't get the brand name thing though, but oh well. I mean, American shows will just not mention any brands at all and photoshop out the logos.

JKTrix

Dedication Through Light said:
Seikon no Qwaser II - Ep 3
Fun episode. I must admit, I was literally as happy as Hana was. I love Hana's VA...ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-katja sama! "Tremble! Prostrate yourself before me in fear!" is definitely one of my favorite catchphrases, so brutal when they say it.
I've only seen one episode of K-On, but I find it hilarious every time I think of Mio saying her lines.

7Th

Halycon said:
I think Branduil means conventional in terms of camera direction, animation, art style, etc.

A Madoka produced by Madhouse and directed by Maasaki Yuasa/Ryosuke Nakamura/Hiroshi Hamasaki wouldn't have been conventional. At all.

Haly

I shudder to think what PMMM might've been like under Yuasa.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
Look at everyone's wrist. Now that you mention it, Anaru is a possibility but the preview didn't show Yukiatsu's, which is why I suspect it's him.
Well, he's at the store buying one, it seems.

Hitokage said:
That speaks to how bad its competition is more than anything else.
Well, yeah. I don't deny that either.

Geneijin said:
You know what show has the least censorship?
Dog Days
Dawg Dayz > A Game of Thrones confirmed! Naw, I just wanted to say that. :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
I forgot to add he has one too already, which I just edited. Look near the end of the AnoHana OP. Watch on his left wrist.
I feel like we're starting to get into the Madoka speculah stage of the discussion now. :lol

Joule

Geneijin said:
Look at everyone's wrist. Now that you mention it, Anaru is a possibility but the preview didn't show Yukiatsu's, which is why I suspect it's him.
That would certainly put a very different spin on things if it works out that way.
That 'girl' also looked like she had a pink wristband just like Anaru.

We'll find out soon enough in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom