• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
I feel like we're starting to get into the Madoka speculah stage of the discussion now. :lol
I never participated in that so I wouldn't know!

Check out Episode 1 too when Yukiatsu talks to Jinta. He already has a watch by then.

Joule said:
That would certainly put a very different spin on things if it works out that way.
That 'girl' also looked like she had a pink wristband just like Anaru.

We'll find out soon enough in any case.
Yep. I can't wait. Also,

Like I said to firehawk, Yukiatsu already has a watch since Episode 1. I forgot to add that when I replied to you until a late edit. Look back at Episode 1 when Yukiatsu speaks to Jinta.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think Shinbo (as he is now, i'm not so sure of his past works), strikes a good middle ground between stylized stuff and conventional stuff. Kaiba was pretty out there, not that I didn't enjoy it but it's not very accessible I guess?

Branduil

7Th said:
Maybe, but you guys talk as if Shaft/Shinbo had a monopoly on relatively stylized anime direction.
Of course not. But I think Madoka was nearly a perfect fit, writing/direction-wise. I'm not saying other directors and studios can't make a show as good as Madoka, but it wouldn't be the same show.

Hitokage said:
See, this is how crazy Shaft fans are. They lead to 7th making sense.

One could make the counter-argument that Shaft haters end up so delusional they start thinking 7th makes sense.

Of course I'd like to think I'm not in either camp. Shaft makes a lot of total crap, like most studios. I try to avoid watching it. There are things they are particularly good at, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
7Th said:
Maybe, but you guys talk as if Shaft/Shinbo had a monopoly on relatively stylized anime direction.
He's the only one who gets to "direct" (herpderp, yeah, I know) 1 or 2 shows a season anyway.

Joule said:
That would certainly put a very different spin on things if it works out that way.

We must start a speculation wiki page!

Geneijin said:
I never participated in that so I wouldn't know!

Check out Episode 1 too when Yukiatsu talks to Jinta. He already has a watch by then.
I guess this is my fault for not really remembering anything about the episodes after they're done.

Well, except that dude always has something written on his shirt. :lol

jman2050

The only conclusion to draw is that Madoka would have been a different show without Shaft at the helm. Whether it'd be better or worst is up for debate but kind of pointless to figure at this point. I personally think Shaft and Shinbo's involvement was a net positive for the show as a whole and has a tone that would be difficult to replicate from another studio. That's all I really can say.

I don't think it's worth arguing about because the show we got was of great quality anyway, so we just take what we're given :p

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Branduil said:
One could make the counter-argument that Shaft haters end up so delusional they start thinking 7th makes sense.
Another reason why Inception is better than Paprika is that I can make a reference to the former here.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Nonoriri said:
Madoka is pretty conventional though.
Yeah direction-wise this is exactly how i feel, the material itself is pretty good, but it really needed to be more stylishly executed then what it was.

Episode 10 is actually closet to the kind of direction i wanted from the series, if only the rest of the series were like that.

It also would likely have been a different show.
It would have most likely being a better show. I really doubt it would have been that much different, assuming gen urobuchi remained the writer in this scenario.

Branduil

Hitokage said:
Another reason why Inception is better than Paprika is that I can make a reference to the former here.
I though Inception was better than Paprika because it was a more coherent story.
And because the idea of a dream-invading machine is much easier to believe in than a beautiful female scientist falling in love with a disgustingly obese nerd.

jman2050 said:
The only conclusion to draw is that Madoka would have been a different show without Shaft at the helm. Whether it'd be better or worst is up for debate but kind of pointless to figure at this point. I personally think Shaft and Shinbo's involvement was a net positive for the show as a whole and has a tone that would be difficult to replicate from another studio. That's all I really can say.

I don't think it's worth arguing about because the show we got was of great quality anyway, so we just take what we're given :p

That's more or less my position.

Can't we all just be happy that they made Madoka instead of Vampire Bund 2: Electric Boogaloo.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lafiel said:
Yeah direction-wise this is exactly how i feel, the material itself is pretty good, but it really needed to be more stylishly executed then what it was.

Episode 10 is actually closet to the kind of direction i wanted from the series, if only the rest of the series were like that.
Wha? Really?
IF anything, it was the material that ended up being more conventional than the direction/animation/"animation".

Branduil said:
Can't we all just be happy that they made Madoka instead of Vampire Bund 2: Electric Boogaloo.
Hey, I just wish we'd get SoreMachi 2. Or more Arakawa.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Some of the lines that came out of Madoka's mouth in the earlier episodes was really gag-worthy. I had flashbacks to Mahou Shoujotai Arisu.

I'm glad it stopped after ABSOLUTE DESPAIR.

jman2050

You know, if you think about it, Inception seems very much like something Shaft would direct.

Christopher Nolan = Shinbo?

Also, speaking of Inception

1036byc.jpg

Branduil

firehawk12 said:
Wha? Really?
IF anything, it was the material that ended up being more conventional than the direction/animation/"animation".

Hey, I just wish we'd get SoreMachi 2. Or more Arakawa.
We're not getting any more SoreMachi with the way it sold. Japan has spoken, they prefer their humor composed entirely of non sequiturs.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Halycon said:
I shudder to think what PMMM might've been like under Yuasa.
Maybe it would've been good.

Halycon said:
Some of the lines that came out of Madoka's mouth in the earlier episodes was really gag-worthy. I had flashbacks to Mahou Shoujotai Arisu.

I'm glad it stopped after ABSOLUTE DESPAIR.
The writing/dialogue in the whole series was pretty gag-worthy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
We're not getting any more SoreMachi with the way it sold. Japan has spoken, they prefer their humor composed entirely of non sequiturs.
Yup, both SoreMachi and Arakawa bombed. I'm assume Natsu no Arashi bombed as well. Nerds just want to buy nerd pandering shit and I kind of wonder if Shaft will go full pander mode now.

jman2050 said:
You know, if you think about it, Inception seems very much like something Shaft would direct.

Christopher Nolan = Shinbo?

Also, speaking of Inception
In that it would be completely boring and full of action scenes connected together with bad exposition and a sad attempt at characterizing the main character?
Yeah, I guess that's Maria Holic in a nutshell. :p

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
firehawk12 said:
Wha? Really?
I don't think the writing of madoka is anything special, but it's pretty solid and consistent for what it is, now if only it had a higher level of execution behind it!

Geneijin

Joule said:

A different reply:

AnoHana spoilers
She does but it's not a pink wristband. But you know I never considered her a possibility until you mention it. Since Episode 2, I have a suspicion Tsuruko is the most emotionally repressed and distraught about the separation of the group the most unlike everyone else. But I don't think she will be the one who dresses up unless AnoHana decides to reveal Tsuruko does have feelings for Yukiatsu, and she decides to put on a facade to redirect Yukiatsu feelings toward her, even if they aren't mutual. Also, I don't think it would be really consistent since Yukiatsu is the only person we know who's in possession of that piece of clothing. AnoHana would be even weirder if other people had one too. :lol

firehawk12 said:
I guess this is my fault for not really remembering anything about the episodes after they're done.

Well, except that dude always has something written on his shirt. :lol
Eh, they're minor details. I wouldn't worry about it. It's like me extrapolating stuff in HanaIro Episode 1 like before.

If you want minor stuff to talk about, we could talk about female body language in AnoHana Episode 2 or something, specifically Anaru at WcDonalds :lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lafiel said:
I don't think the writing of madoka is anything special, but it's pretty solid and consistent for what it is, now if only it had a higher level of execution behind it!
I think this is one of those agree to disagree situations. :lol

Geneijin said:
A different reply:

AnoHana spoilers
She does but it's not a pink wristband. But you know I never considered her a possibility until you mention it. Since Episode 2, I have a suspicion Tsuruko is the most emotionally repressed and distraught about the separation of the group the most unlike everyone else. But I don't think she will be the one who dresses up unless AnoHana decides to reveal Tsuruko does have feelings for Yukiatsu, and she decides to put on a facade to redirect Yukiatsu feelings toward her, even if they aren't mutual. Also, I don't think it would be really consistent since Yukiatsu is the only person we know who's in possession of that piece of clothing. AnoHana would be even weirder if other people had one too. :lol

Eh, they're minor details. I wouldn't worry about it. It's like me extrapolating stuff in HanaIro Episode 1 like before.

If you want minor stuff to talk about, we could talk about female body language in AnoHana Episode 2 or something, specifically Anaru at WcDonalds :lol

Maybe the Hourou Musuko/Working!! references imply that
Yakiatsu will dress up as Menma!
!!!!!

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
Maybe the Hourou Musuko/Working!! references imply that
Yakiatsu will dress up as Menma!
!!!!!
I am almost absolutely sure it'll be him, which is why I told you that you jinxed Yukiatsu to dress up by joking when you did after my Episode 2 explosion from before. :lol

But Joule confused me even more by introducing other possibilities by saying Anaru and Tsuruko both wear something on their left wrist, which they do. Now that's wild speculation!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
I am
almost absolutely sure it'll be him. But Joule confused me by saying Anaru and Tsuruko both wear something on their left wrist, which they do. Now that's wild speculation!
I dunno... that just seems a bit TOO Asian-ey to me. So much so that it wraps around and becomes a storyline on CSI. :lol
But, we'll see!

Joule

Geneijin said:
I am almost absolutely sure it'll be him, which is why I told you that you jinxed Yukiatsu to dress up by joking when you did after my Episode 2 explosion from before. :lol

But Joule confused me even more by introducing other possibilities by saying Anaru and Tsuruko both wear something on their left wrist, which they do. Now that's wild speculation!
I think that
Anaru dressing up would be playing theses sorts of situations straight and that the motivation would be to garner attention from most likely Jinta.

If firehawk's jinx turns out true. All I've got to say is Yukiatsu sure can pull it off.

JKTrix

It's pretty clear that *all* of the girls liked Jinta. But Menma was dominating the attention of all of the boys so much, even after her death, that they moved on in different ways. Tsuruko chills with Yukiatsu, even though she knows he's still hung up on Menma and it bothers her.

She couldn't win Jinta with Menma around, and she still hasn't won Yukiatsu even with Menma dead.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
JKTrix said:
It's pretty clear that *all* of the girls liked Jinta. But Menma was dominating the attention of all of the boys so much, even after her death, that they moved on in different ways. Tsuruko chills with Yukiatsu, even though she knows he's still hung up on Menma and it bothers her.

She couldn't win Jinta with Menma around, and she still hasn't won Yukiatsu even with Menma dead.
I dunno, a harem?

JKTrix

firehawk12 said:
I dunno, a harem?
The first episode had all the trappings of a harem or visual novel love story, which was part of my initial distaste for the show. Was actually surprised that it wasn't based on one.

Geneijin

JKTrix said:
It's pretty clear that *all* of the girls liked Jinta.
But Menma was dominating the attention of all of the boys so much, even after her death, that they moved on in different ways. Tsuruko chills with Yukiatsu, even though she knows he's still hung up on Menma and it bothers her.

Eh, I don't think it's obviously clear all of them do.
There isn't enough revealed for me to say Tsuruko likes Jinta unless you're basing that around how she reacted to Anaru's friends' comments toward Jinta in Episode 2. I thought that scene was indicative of Tsuruko being the most emotionally repressed out of the six friends that she hated their separation the most. It's more like Tsuruko likes Yukiatsu until I see otherwise personally, which is why she addresses Yukiatsu as she does in this series.

JKTrix said:

Tsuruko seems more interested in creepy raper guy than Jinta to me. Which would make it only a love triangle for Jinta.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Geneijin said:
Eh, I don't think it's obviously clear all of them do.
There isn't enough revealed for me to say Tsuruko likes Jinta unless you're basing that around how she reacted to Anaru's friends' comments toward Jinta in Episode 2. I thought that scene was indicative of Tsuruko being the most emotionally repressed out of the six friends that she hated their separation the most. It's more like Tsuruko likes Yukiatsu until I see otherwise personally, which is why she addresses Yukiatsu as she does in this series.
My Shyamalan twist would be that
Yakiatsu wants to be Menma because he's in love with Jintan
!!!!

Joule

Moshidora 3: So we get into Yunosuke's problems this episode. Dude just needs to get back on things without worry so much about his errors. I am surprised that only now is the team trying out a new set of routines in a team based situation to improve themselves. All thanks to Drucker's management. Minami also recruited Yuno's friend into their band of managers. I guess we'll just hope along all the team members and apply more management as we go along. Also Minami is doing such a good job all the school clubs wants her to manage their things. Yay management.

I guess a point of note was Ayano and Yuki's pseudo yuri moment. lol.

It remains a quaint little show.

-----

On the AnoHana talk, I'm interested in seeing how Poppo has changed. Is that all that traveling just a means to escape? Or is he just totally chill with everything.

JKTrix

When I said 'liked', I meant in the past in the context of the show. When they were kids, it was pretty obvious they all liked him. Since we were talking about 'speculation', there are ways to read into the subtleties of characters as well.

Jinta was the leader of their group, and they all admired him to some extent. Tsuruko was always guarded, but you could assume that when Naruko (because I refuse to call her Anal) asked if he liked Menma, she wanted to know too.

The way she acted in response to Naruko's friends in the 2nd episode just built on the subtlety. Maybe she isn't crazy for him now, but there is still that lingering fondness. And as an older person, she's better with how she guards her feelings.

Also I haven't been using spoilers since I feel that anything that happens in the first episode is fair game (with a few exceptions), and nothing has *really* happened yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Joule said:
On the AnoHana talk, I'm interested in seeing how Poppo has changed. Is that all that traveling just a means to escape? Or is he just totally chill with everything.
I'd like to think he's the cool bro who is mono no aware and moved on with his life.

Geneijin said:
AnoHana spoilers
They're the most emotionally separated from the group. Arguably, Episode 2 depicts Tsurumi/Tsuruko as the one who's the most emotionally damaged and affected by Menma's death and the group's separation despite Yukiatsu's scene. I don't think Tsurumi's reply to Naruko was meant to be taken as a pompous retort but to illustrate the distance of their relationships between the two based on how both of them addressed one another.
Tsuruko even more than Yukiatsu? I don't know, basedo n just the first two episodes I thought it was hard to tell which of those two was more separated from the others. Maybe Yukiatsu hides it a little more, but still, both clearly are apart from the other three.

It's implied Menma drowned for now. I think both Jinta (MC) and Naruko/Anaru (twin-tails girl) blame themselves the most for Menma's death. Yukiatsu to a lesser extent but doubtful.

Most notably, it's why Naruko is my most favorite character right now because I want to see how she develops since AnoHana may be implying she's assuming most of responsibility for not only Menma's death but Jinta's current Hikikomori lifestyle as well; hence, my small speculation if you're interested.
I agree on the first paragraph, I said so too. I was just wondering if in future episodes we'd see ways that the others blame themselves as well; I wouldn't be surprised if we do. Maybe not though, we'll see.

As for my favorite character, I'm not sure really...
But yes, certainly she blames herself for Menma's death, and maybe also for Jinta being hikkikomori (thinking that it happened because of her death, which doesn't really seem wrong).

Again though all of the characters are certainly broken --

Jinta is a hikkikomori not going to school. Blames himself for Menma's death.
Anaru is borderline depressed (I agree that she does act that way sometimes). Blames herself for Menma's death.
Poppo seems happy, but stopped going to school and just does odd jobs and travels... is that sustainable?
Tsuruko is angry with the three above.
Yukiatsu obsesses over some garment (her dress?) that may have been Menma's (is he the most broken of the five?).

And Menma, of course, is dead, so she's the worst off.

I just mean, it's not like Anaru is anything special in having problems, all of them in this series do, it's the whole point of the series I think. It's also a core part of why it's good, watching these troubled people and seeing what they can do to try to get past it, finally... (I mean, I like Anaru's character, sure, but I don't see it as being anything that different from the others.)

But of course, we haven't seen as much of Tsuruko or Yukiatsu yet, so it's not exactly balanced in its focus.

Geneijin said:
AnoHana spoilers

Nope, but it's a possibility she strongly blames herself for what happened to Menma more than anyone else in the group, not to mention she could be accepting responsibility for Jinta's current self as well. Really, it's the potential conflict they're hinting at between Menma, Anaru, and Jintan. Anaru being the one who asked Jinta in the confession scene if he liked Menma, Menma hating how badly Jinta was speaking of Anaru, Jinta and Anaru's conversation between each other and she saying he should be disappointed at himself or something like that, Anaru saying she should be the one ashamed instead and a picture of the six of them are together is seen with the glare obscuring Menma - I'm curious what AnoHana plans to do with Naruko's character the most based on those events in Episode 1. AnoHana might even be implying Menma considers Anaru her closest friend with the way Episode 1 progressed. AnoHana could even throw in a convoluted love triangle and have Anaru with unrequited feelings of love toward Jinta. Don't get me started how Menma's presence could make this emotionally manipulative. I'm sensitive and gullible I guess...
Most of this I address above, but on the latter point, and the "harem" speculation that has come up, I didn't see that... probably because there are three male characters in the group, and not just one with a useless friend, so "three and three" doesn't really make me think harem... as for whether it partially is, though, I don't know. It isn't so far anyway. Does Tsuruko like Jinta? I have no idea. Clearly the other two (Anaru and Menma) do/did, though, yeah. As for Anaru and Menma being friends, probably so, yeah.

Also, Yukiatsu dressing up like Menma? That's an interesting idea... :lol

Too many tsunderes ruined IS! Have you no shame?
I think that IS obviously had bigger problems than just having too many tsunderes, though it was a little silly that most of the girls were tsundere. :)

Joule said:
I think more towards the former of those explanations.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A Black Falcon said:
I think that IS obviously had bigger problems than just having too many tsunderes, though it was a little silly that most of the girls were tsundere. :)

Actually, I think IS is the first show that I've seen with yanderes who were funny. Although I guess they aren't "real" yanderes.

Joule

firehawk12 said:
Actually, I think IS is the first show that I've seen with yanderes who were funny. Although I guess they aren't "real" yanderes.
Does Kampfer count? That was a pretty funny show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
It depends on whether you think Senjougahara wanted to poke out Araragi's eye or was just being playful.
Oh, she was definitely tsundere. I mean, dude can't die after all!

Then again, yanderes can also be like kuuderes, when they go all dead-eyed and emotionless like they do on IS.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
Oh, she was definitely tsundere. I mean, dude can't die after all!

Then again, yanderes can also be like kuuderes, when they go all dead-eyed and emotionless like they do on IS.

You and your dere-fetish sicken me.

First time Senjougahara met Araragi, she didn't know he was immortal so she very well could have killed him from that point of view.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
Yup, both SoreMachi and Arakawa bombed. I'm assume Natsu no Arashi bombed as well. Nerds just want to buy nerd pandering shit and I kind of wonder if Shaft will go full pander mode now.
Are you implying that Shaft hasn't been in full pander mode for a while now? :p

Aigis said:
Bought Sword of the Stranger on Blu-ray. What am I in for?
Badass action.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dresden said:
Are you implying that Shaft hasn't been in full pander mode for a while now? :p

I dunno, SoreMachi and Arakawa are fairly high concept slice of life pseudo-moe comedies for the monocle nerds.

Bakemono and Madoka are explicitly panderbait for the alpha nerds. And to a lesser extent, Maria Holic.

I guess SZS is sort of in between panderbait and monocle porn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom