• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

firehawk12 said:
My problems with Maria Holic is that it's the most boringly directed Shaft show that I can remember. It's all still shots and pans.

I never know what people mean when they say animation though. I use it to refer to directing, but I get the feeling other people use it to mean the frame rate or something more technical.
Personally I've always felt it made sense to refer to animation as animation. As in two or more different frames in a sequential arrangement.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Planetes - 15

HAKIM!!!

Hakim is Batman, well space Batman anyways. How does he kick so much ass?? He just like fucked up 4 guys with guns, and then socked the shit outta that pimp in the stomach, just like poppin outta nowhere, knockin bitches out!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mAcOdIn said:
Yeah, Maria+Holic is very uneven and even at it's best it's rarely interesting animation wise, it comes off cheap as hell.

Not that I care, I'll still watch the hell out of it.

Surprised you're watching it though firehawk12, just because of dat voice?
Yep, pretty much. Gotta get my fix, and she actually uses her range on the show.

Branduil said:
Personally I've always felt it made sense to refer to animation as animation. As in two or more different frames in a sequential arrangement.
For whatever reason, I've always considered the term animation to have a broader focus than that. No idea why, that's just how it got stuck in my head.

ie, a Disney animated film has a very specific look and feel, just as a Pixar animated film has its own look and feel.

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
Yep, pretty much. Gotta get my fix, and she actually uses her range on the show.
She sounds so hot in it, pity she's playing an underage boy in the show.

And I was thinking about this but is Kanako supposed to be ugly? She's always getting ragged on for her height, weight and shit but she looks fine, is it Mariya and Matsurika just being asses, another example of the "ugly betty" trope or would that actually be considered unattractive over there?

Geneijin

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Its a different setting, characters, story, cast, etc... its completely new, see it, is awesome.
Got a favorite fight you can link me on youtube? I don't mind spoils.

mAcOdIn said:
And I was thinking about this but is Kanako supposed to be ugly? She's always getting ragged on for her height, weight and shit but she looks fine, is it Mariya and Matsurika just being asses, another example of the "ugly betty" trope or would that actually be considered unattractive over there?
Nah. Her height is considered unappealing. That's been the reason since Episode 1 of Season 1.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mAcOdIn said:
She sounds so hot in it, pity she's playing an underage boy in the show.

Well, there are never any ugly anime characters unless they are fat, so it's pretty much impossible to tell.

I assume it's mostly trolling though - whether psychological or physical, when it comes to feeding her cake to make her fat.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:
Well, there are never any ugly anime characters unless they are fat, so it's pretty much impossible to tell.

I assume it's mostly trolling though - whether psychological or physical, when it comes to feeding her cake to make her fat.
synOY.jpg

So fat. Everyone says she is.

trejo

firehawk12 said:
What about that one girl from SoreMachi? Though I don't think they ever made fun of her looks in the show.

And Real Drive has the best representation of big-boned girls in animu.

trejo

Dresden said:
She was beautiful inside, dammit.
Agree 100%

She was the coolest of the bunch. Well, maybe second to blonde girl.

doomed1 said:
Would hit that at the speed of light.
If she was real
Just go ahead and claim her as your waifu then buy the pillow and everything. You know you wanna.

Ano Hana 02 - Broken people being sad, I love this show... :)

As for the plot, the blatant pokemon ripoff game was kind of amusing. It was "Gold" version though, but looked like it was for a GBA (GBA SP ripoff)... Pokemon Gold wasn't for GBA, it was for GBC. Three of them were actually getting along again, though... I wonder where the plot in this series is going to go, there will have to be more things come up than we know so far, I think... is "they keep trying things until they figure out what her wish was, while uniting the five of them again" going to be it, or will there be more? I'm guessing the latter, but we'll see. I guess part of that will depend on how hard it is to make friends again with the other two, these three are sort of getting along again but the other two look like they'll be tougher... the guy has the much talked about creepy scene, and the girl treats them pretty badly (because they're in a worse school, etc.).

I also wonder why only the main character guy can see her, and not the others... she certainly seems to be more than just a hallucination of his though, so it doesn't seem like it's that. But yeah, it's a pretty good show. Not much fanservice either, just a little bit (if you count the scene where she's in a bath towel as that, which it probably was meant as). That's good.

On the note of the creepy scene though...
Looked like her dress to me. Was it actually the one she had when she died, or another one just like it, or what? However it is it is creepy, that guy obviously has issues... of course the idea is to show how, like all of them, he misses her, but even if it's less externally obvious when compared to the main character, clearly his problems are deep too.

Also, do all of them blame themselves for her death (did she drown or something?), or just the main character and the curly haired twintail girl? So far those two at least clearly think they have some responsibility for it, on the theory that if he hadn't run off (because she'd raised the question of whether he liked the girl who died), maybe whatever happened to her later that night might not have happened... who knows, they could be right, they could not. It's tough, with theoreticals like that, you will never know what could have happened had you made different choices. Eventually they'll have to accept that what happened happened, and the tragedy isn't all their faults (because from what we know it sure doesn't look like one person's fault).
Becoming friendly again, even if it's just some of them, is maybe progress towards that... hopefully it is. :)

Dog Days 03 - (I won't spoiler anything) :lol This show is awesome... Okay, so we know (from ep. 2) that our hero can't go home, and that in ep. 1 he was summoned when the princess' dog (an actual dog-shaped dog, not a dogperson, though it's clearly smarter than an average dog) set up a trap under his feet after he jumped off of the second floor when leaving school (because he's a gymnast he can do such things). Alright.

In this episode, though, we learn that when summoning the hero, you're supposed to tell them the catch -- that they can't go back -- and technically, the dog did... because, in the fantasy kingdom's script (which is not Japanese script), some small print was written around the edges of the circle. And in the smallest of that small print, it says "warning: you cannot go back". That's awesome, the fine print was there, but it was impossible for him to read... funny stuff. :)

Also, the roads, valleys, etc. are dangerous, and aren't protected by the "people don't die in battle" protection magic. And they're dangerous -- just like in a JRPG, roads are dangerous and full of monsters.

Oh, and apparently all of the researcher types in this kingdom are all children, or something... at least they all look like they're about ten, max. The lead one manages to get him some cellphone signal, though, so he can call Japan... as if anyone's going to believe where he is. He calls the girl from ep. 1 anyway, but doesn't tell her where he is. (Then the researcher girl wants to "borrow" the phone. :))

Then, drama! The princesses used to be friends, now they aren't. Oh so sad (not really). Also, the cat princess has a brother who interrupts the concert. Before that though, our hero takes a bath. It goes straight for the stereotype as he, of course, walks in on the princess while she's bathing. They're about equally embarrassed. (I think that the fact that he had shorts on in the bath is just about the first non-Japanese thing I've seen this supposed British exchange student doing...)

Also, the characters' tails somehow seem to materialize through their clothing (invisible holes?) and somehow don't get in the way of anything either. And the world's your traditional Japanese fantasy random, incoherent mix of modern, fantasy medieval, Japanese, and more elements. Gah, so much about that stuff annoys me so much, and pretty much the entire genre does it. I like that there's so much fantasy anime, but it is annoying how little thought goes into the worlds. Instead they just toss in the expected random mixture of stuff, with no explanation about how such a bizarre world could ever happen, and call it good because that's what's expected in the genre. Most people don't care, I know, but because I actually know history I do...

Halycon said:
Well obviously, people are more uncomfortable with shoutas than they are with lolis. Lolis are the norm but shoutas still have that Other-ness for the uninitiated.

If anything, lolis are more ungodly than their penile counterparts. A running theme in shoutacon is innocence and sexual exploration. Lolis, on the other hand, are just undersized girls.
Probably true, but sometimes at least the two are treated similarly, it's not always different.

mAcOdIn

trejo said:
She was the coolest of the bunch. Well, maybe second to blonde girl.
Eh? Definitely second to blond girl, Kon was the shiznet.
Geneijin said:
Nah. Her height is considered unappealing. That's been the reason since Episode 1 of Season 1.
I'm sure she was made fun of at least once for her shoe size and bust.
firehawk12 said:

I'd hope it's trolling, I mean, she looks fine, what's she supposed to be a stick? She's not even that tall in the show, if she were shown a little differently I could almost see that but Ryuken's taller than her.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
trejo said:
Just go ahead and claim her as your waifu then buy the pillow and everything. You know you wanna.
I'll pass. She still doesn't pass the 'real' clause.
Plus I could never cheat on mah waifu Ritsu :p

Grzi

Yes there is a new ANIME of SAINT SEIYA named LOST CANVAS, right now it is on its second season with episode 19, so yeah please people go see it.

EDIT: You have to see it is good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8AjU9ySuaI&hd=1

Is it necessary to watch the original Saint Seiya (and the OVAs) to be able to follow this? Or is it stand alone?
I plan to watch the original eventually, but this seems nice enough to give it a shot right away.

Grzi said:
Is it necessary to watch the original Saint Seiya (and the OVAs) to be able to follow this? Or is it stand alone?
I plan to watch the original eventually, but this seems nice enough to give it a shot right away.

No, you don´t have to watch the original, not at all, is a total REBOOT, sort of, it has its own story and characters, its like a prequel to the original series, so there is no need to even know a thing about the original series.

Just see with open mind and you will like it.

Edit:
mAcOdIn said:
Lol, both Linkin Park and Evanescence together!
Yeah weird LOL!

Branduil

firehawk12 said:

There was an ugly girl in Aishiteruze Baby.

And in Soredemo.

And there's no shortage of ugly male characters in anime.

trejo

And Linkin Park rears it's ugly head in the thread once again.

No, you don´t have to watch the original, not at all, is a total REBOOT, sort of, it has its own story and characters, its like a prequel to the original series, so there is no need to even know a thing about the original series.
It's gonna feel really weird to go from badass Albafica to, uh, not quite so badass Aphrodite, though.

As someone who loves battle shounen, I really do need to check out Saint Seiya, especially if it indeed helped shape what the genre is today. Saw very little as a kid when it was on CN.

Steroyd

doomed1 said:
Oh hell no, my sister is independently following more than I am. Blue Exorcist, Hanasaku Iroha, Nichijou, she even watched an episode of that harem fanservice show. She's becoming a bigger nerd than me! D:

I know the feeling, while my sister doesn't appreciate the art of reading subs, she was able to marathon through the Cardcaptor dub, and many others in just a few days, hell she took her own initiative and start watching the Haibane Renmei dub on her own, I just can't watch anime like that in so little time anymore. D:

Halycon said:
Don't think about it, just enjoy the fights, the gore, the drama and the powers.

Powers!? ... bah should have known from the first episode really.

trejo

cosmicblizzard said:
As someone who loves battle shounen, I really do need to check out Saint Seiya, especially if it indeed helped shape what the genre is today. Saw very little as a kid when it was on CN.
Well, it pretty much single-handedly jumpstarted the anime craze in Latin America back when it premiered. There were other big shows before it, but this was the first one to explode in popularity to a crazy degree as far as I recall.

Superiority between peers was determined by the amount of action figures you owned and trips to the principal's office over fights about which character was the most awesome and the like were commonplace. It was pretty wild.

I couldn't really tell you how well it stands up nowadays since my nostalgia goggles are impossible to remove.

Geneijin

mAcOdIn said:
I'm sure she was made fun of at least once for her shoe size and bust.
Don't remember them. I should check out Season 1 again.

AnoHana spoilers
A Black Falcon said:
I wonder where the plot in this series is going to go, there will have to be more things come up than we know so far, I think... is "they keep trying things until they figure out what her wish was, while uniting the five of them again" going to be it, or will there be more?
If you really want to know, check out the episode 3 preview. I would not recommend it, but there are heavy implications Episode 3 won't be the former for that episode at least.

I'm guessing the latter, but we'll see. I guess part of that will depend on how hard it is to make friends again with the other two, these three are sort of getting along again but the other two look like they'll be tougher... the guy has the much talked about creepy scene, and the girl treats them pretty badly (because they're in a worse school, etc.).
They're the most emotionally separated from the group. Arguably, Episode 2 depicts Tsurumi/Tsuruko as the one who's the most emotionally damaged and affected by Menma's death and the group's separation despite Yukiatsu's scene. I don't think Tsurumi's reply to Naruko was meant to be taken as a pompous retort but to illustrate the distance of their relationships between the two based on how both of them addressed one another.

Also, do all of them blame themselves for her death (did she drown or something?), or just the main character and the curly haired twintail girl? So far those two at least clearly think they have some responsibility for it, on the theory that if he hadn't run off (because she'd raised the question of whether he liked the girl who died), maybe whatever happened to her later that night might not have happened... who knows, they could be right, they could not. It's tough, with theoreticals like that, you will never know what could have happened had you made different choices. Eventually they'll have to accept that what happened happened, and the tragedy isn't all their faults (because from what we know it sure doesn't look like one person's fault).
Becoming friendly again, even if it's just some of them, is maybe progress towards that... hopefully it is. :)
It's implied Menma drowned for now. I think both Jinta (MC) and Naruko/Anaru (twin-tails girl) blame themselves the most for Menma's death. Yukiatsu to a lesser extent but doubtful.

Most notably, it's why Naruko is my most favorite character right now because I want to see how she develops since AnoHana may be implying she's assuming most of responsibility for not only Menma's death but Jinta's current Hikikomori lifestyle as well; hence, my small speculation if you're interested.

Infinite Justice said:
this is what people are calling fat now? smh
It was a reference to all those fat jokes she got on the show, so she's a fatty by anime standards. =P

I like several like:
  • Albafika vs Minos
  • Thanatos vs Manigoldo vs Pope
  • Etc..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ1EDNhEvcM
Guess I'll try and find an original clip from the show. I dislike most AMVs like those.

I love watching original scenes in their full glory e.g. Hunter x Hunter -
Kurapica vs Ubogin

I'll keep those fights in mind when looking. Thanks.

trejo said:
I couldn't really tell you how well it stands up nowadays since my nostalgia goggles are impossible to remove.
Nonexistent goggles.

mAcOdIn

Considering what their club name was I was expecting AnoHana to turn into something like Ghostwriter with them solving mysteries.

Also I watched some of Maria+Holic season one recently and it held up pretty decent, but it's really hard to tell when it comes to what comes out of Mariya and Matsurika's mouths in regards to whether they're serious or just being awesome jerks.

Also, I thought the gasoline scene was a tad much in the first season.

trejo said:
Well, it pretty much single-handedly jumpstarted the anime craze in Latin America back when it premiered. There were other big shows before it, but this was the first one to explode in popularity to a crazy degree as far as I recall.

Superiority between peers was determined by the amount of action figures you owned and trips to the principal's office over fights about which character was the most awesome and the like were commonplace. It was pretty wild.

Eh, even if it doesn't hold up that well, it's one of the essentials I'm missing along with HnK. I'm pretty much obligated to watch/read it.

-Stranger-

Hanasaku Iroha 04

Fun episode, i enjoyed the new setting and the introduction of the new character.
The ending was really good (choke slam lol), looking foward to the drama next episode.

Moshidora 01 - Noo! Bill Buckner, why are you now in a Japanese high school?

Other than that, applying business management to baseball is pretty odd, I assume the series exists as much to push knowledge of that stuff than anything else... but while decent, this isn't exactly the business management equivalent of what Spice and Wolf was to economics. This seems more blatant about that focus for one thing, and isn't as interesting either. But decent? Yeah, sure, it's okay. I'll probably watch some more of it at least.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I think Uchip is cute, the way he posts accompanied with thinking it's his avatar talking makes me chuckle.

Articalys

trejo

Steins;.:Gate 4

This is getting tiresome. I'm starting to warm up to crazy doctor guy and his silly antics but the pacing is all over the place and I feel the direction is still somewhat lacking. I want to like it but it feels like the show is purposefully making me work for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom