• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2011 Anime Thread of ZAWA ZAWA, Money, emo Cyclops, and fun^10xint^40=Ir2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silh

Moshidora 2
Bits of characterization made for a better episode. It's such a shame; some of the art seen in this show is actually pretty good, but the budget given for the animation squanders it.

tiff

Banned
OreImo 14 The best lines were already spoiled but that full-on homo game vs. self-gratifying masturbation material argument still had me rolling. Kuroneko is best neko.

Neo C.

Articalys said:
OreImo 14
My theory is that living with such a bitchy younger sister unconsciously conditioned him to not form close bonds with girls.
And oh wow, a duet ED by Kana Hanazawa and Yuichi Nakamura. I can't ever imagine what they're trying to imply.
But he wants to form a close bond with a certain girl. It's just he doesn't realize the best girls are close to him.

Cwarrior

I see Maria+Holic mention quite a bit here so I google it...i was like why is that girl getting a nose bleed over girls...oh she a lesbian..Then read that the blonde girl is acutaly a guy wtf?

I remember someone having the blonde guy/girl as an avater.

is the blonde girl really a guy?

Steroyd

Yeah blonde is really a guy, and the girl who nosebleeds, breaks out in hives whenver she touches a guy.

Funnily enough Maria has a twin sister who goes to the all boys school, or something like that.

Oyashiro

Wolf's Rain 01

Started watching this because a good friend absolutely loves it. Though it was decent. Not a great first episode, but hopefully it'll get better.

Grzi

Oyashiro said:
Wolf's Rain 01

Started watching this because a good friend absolutely loves it. Though it was decent. Not a great first episode, but hopefully it'll get better.

You can stop if you didn't like the first episode.

I thought the series had the best first episode ever (most people I know that watched it did), but it only gets worse after that.
I still love the series a lot, but if the first episode hasn't hooked you, I doubt you'll like it.

BluWacky

Oyashiro said:
Wolf's Rain 01

It does get better. Personally I didn't feel it really kicked into gear until episode 7 or so but it's at least a good show up until that point.

Not sure whether I'd recommend watching the SARS-induced recap episodes, though.

I feel old right now; I watched Wolf's Rain when it aired. Eight years is a long time in anime fandom...

zeroshiki

BluWacky said:
It does get better. Personally I didn't feel it really kicked into gear until episode 7 or so but it's at least a good show up until that point.

Not sure whether I'd recommend watching the SARS-induced recap episodes, though.

I feel old right now; I watched Wolf's Rain when it aired. Eight years is a long time in anime fandom...

I remember those 4 straight recap episodes and all the rage it caused.

tiff

Banned
Cwarrior said:
I see Maria+Holic mention quite a bit here so I google it...i was like why is that girl getting a nose bleed over girls...oh she a lesbian..Then read that the blonde girl is acutaly a guy wtf?
J9Ods.jpg

expy

Banned
Cwarrior said:

I remember someone having the blonde guy/girl as an avater.

is the blonde girl really a guy?
Yes... Yes he is...

Cwarrior

cosmicblizzard said:
As someone who loves battle shounen, I really do need to check out Saint Seiya, especially if it indeed helped shape what the genre is today. Saw very little as a kid when it was on CN.

Used to be a huge fan on saint seiya when i was a kid, try to rewatched it a few years ago and my rose tinted glass got shattered like shiryu armor.

"A saint will not fall the same trick twice" shm

Enemy stairs appears
seiya and the gang must run up it for few episodes

i think saint seiya started alot of these terrible shounen tropes that has effect most shounen.

expy said:
Yes... Yes he is...

well he did a good job fooling me in the opening with him being able to walk like a girl

Totakeke

So I just finished Baccano.

Boy, that was dumb, it felt like I was walking in a circle with no point. Probably didn't help that I didn't like any of the characters. Definitely not an anime that you want to rush through if you are actually considering watching it for the first time.

-Stranger-

Oyashiro said:
Wolf's Rain 01

It's a pretty solid show, worth watching but not the best BONES show.
I recently finished it, might watch the ova for abit more of a conclusion though.

Cwarrior

Totakeke said:

Boy, that was dumb, it felt like I was walking in a circle with no point. Probably didn't help that I didn't like any of the characters. Definitely not an anime that you want to rush through if you are actually considering watching it for the first time.

You didn't like any of the characters…how? Not even Lad russo, Rail tracer, Isaac and Maria?

Totakeke

Cwarrior said:
You didn't like any of the characters…why? Not even Lad russo, Rail tracer, Isaac and Maria?

They're all caricatures. Not a hint of depth to them. For those characters that seemed like they do, nothing was done with them.

Oyashiro said:
Wolf's Rain 01

Well, if you're really having that much trouble sleeping, I suppose watching Wolf's Rain could help some.

Totakeke said:

Wow. I can honestly say that's the first time I've ever heard this particular point.

Joule

Finally got around to [C] The Money of Soul and Possibility Control 1-2. It was fairly interesting although I see what everyone was talking about when they said ugly CG. It is a little jarring at times. That primer that mandoric provided on how these deals work did make things a little easier to understand. I kind of wish they'd drop the mechanical English voices every time somebody does something in the battles. DEAL MICRO etc. are all just way too reminiscent of Nanoha's talking devices.

JKTrix

Aigis said:
Re: 'Moshidora looks like it was animated in the early 2000s'
What does this even mean?
firehawk12 said:
Everyone is saying the animation is bad... but I honestly can't see it.
I called it 'surprisingly cheap'. Surprising since it's a Production I.G. show, one of the studios known for high quality stuff, even if it isn't one of their top teams working on it. There were scenes where characters looked like they weren't drawn with the most care--too much space between the eyes, that kind of stuff--when you kind of expect them to put their best foot forward for the first episode.

I guess the 'early 2000s' remark from whoever said it comes from that cheap or inexperienced or low-effort feel when studios were still transitioning into digital animation. I wouldn't call it bad, since it's perfectly competent.

Oyashiro said:
Wolf's Rain 01
Stay for the music, or just buy the soundtrack.
BluWacky said:
You shut up. (from someone who gets heart aches whenever 'anime fans' say they have never seen a second of DBZ)
Joule said:
[C]
I kind of wish they'd drop the mechanical English voices every time somebody does something in the battles. DEAL MICRO etc. are all just way too reminiscent of Nanoha's talking devices.
Not to say you're wrong (because you're not), but both C and Nanoha derive more from the Kamen Rider series than C does from Nanoha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GZegJ1WR_c#t=29s

There've been other Rider series that have used both cards and talking devices, but I picked that one because it came out before Nanoha did.

Cwarrior

Seitokai Yakuindomo ep1

shows kinda funny but i would like to know what on earth did they draw on that voting box?

the lost wallet part was funny the way they came to a conclusion its girls wallet not a boys.

jman2050

hamchan said:
Did I miss any creepy convos the past couple of days I didn't read this thread?

Someone mentioned Boku no pico and it eventually led to doomed1 and Uchip arguing about the inherent sexual connotations of the word loli.

So basically business as usual.

Dynedom

Late on this but I seem to have got my fill so far and:

C - Will definitely watch. I like where this is going and I'm a bit of a finance nerd. Watching this while on break from studying for level 2 of my CFA makes me feel less guilty (but still guilty, mind you) than watching other anime like:

Blue Exorcist - Yep. Will definitely watch this every week. On paper, the plot sounds horribly generic but let's see. I've just got a feeling...

Ano ... Hana ... - Welp, I forced myself through episode 1 and watched episode 2 as I promised myself. Series definitely looks promising. Will watch but with some reservation.

Hana-Saku Iroha - Yep, will definitely keep watching this. Liked every episode thus far.

Phew, that's 3 weekly anime I'm hooked on 100% and 1 that I'm like 60% on...

Will check out Stein's;Gate when I get back to Toronto on the 2nd as well as Tiger & Bunny.

Definitely a lot more for me to watch than Winter 2011. Pretty happy about this. I can't remember the last season where I was watching more than 3 shows a week.

Yo GUYS! so did you all see SAINT SEIYA: THE LOST CANVAS season 1 and 2, please see, i really want to know GAF opinion about it, how do you compare it to the new anime series that are now popular in japan.

flawfuls

cosmicblizzard said:
So small.

A Sankarea and Liar Game anime would be pretty awesome though. The latter would definitely benefit from a crazy presentation like Kaiji and Death Note.

Yeah, but they gave Bee Train the Liar Game adaptation. What kind of fake list gives stuff to Bee Train? :lol

Moshidora 1:
That was okay, I guess. Kind of slow to start out, but there were some solid moments in there. The premise is pretty funny, although I don't think the characters have really shown that much depth yet.

Ezalc

So I just started Gun X Sword, what do you guys think of it? Is my perception of it being kind of Big O and Trigun mix correct?

Grzi

Ezalc said:
Damn really? It looks interesting... Can you give me a scale on how bad it is?

It has probably the worst main antagonist ever.
If they did that part better it would have been great IMO, but since they didn't it really hurts the series.
I still kind of liked it, the animation is pretty sweet throughout.
One of the episodes was really great though, I think it was the third one, the super robot one. I liked that one a lot.

Cwarrior

Dresden said:
This chart is clearly real.

reading from reading the description, there nothing there i want to see and why does drool girl(scissors girl) keeping popping up in these things(does have a big fanbase?).

edit:
so i checked out unbalance x unbalance

dame the main character kicks the shit out of a girl relentlessly

046.jpg

am like you can't do that, he doesn't hold back and destroyes her

Joe Molotov

Cwarrior said:

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

Welcome to Anime, please enjoy your stay!

flawfuls

Cwarrior said:
reading from reading the description, there nothing there i want to see and why does drool girl(scissors girl) keeping popping up in these things(does have a big fanbase?).

Yeah it does at least as far as English manga fanbases go. I'm not really that fond of it myself, but it is certainly something that would probably be successful in the anime world. I'm kind of surprised an anime for it doesn't already exist.

And in that list's defense a competently done Punpun anime would likely be the best anime ever made.

Joule

I'm surprised Miman Renai is on that list. Is it really desired? I read a bit of it and it's not bad but not really amazing.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Cwarrior said:
It's actually a pretty solid romcom that tends to subvert some of the more prevalent hypersexualized concepts sometimes portrayed in high school relationships. Really, it's cute, narratively speaking. Yeah, the MC is an unbearable passive twat and the heroine is your typical cool on the outside, becoming confused on the inside type, but it's fun and the progression is well paced. Ended up losing track of it near the end of the idol arc though...

Cwarrior

doomed1 said:
It's actually a pretty solid romcom that tends to subvert some of the more prevalent hypersexualized concepts sometimes portrayed in high school relationships. Really, it's cute, narratively speaking. Yeah, the MC is an unbearable passive twat and the heroine is your typical cool on the outside, becoming confused on the inside type, but it's fun and the progression is well paced. Ended up losing track of it near the end of the idol arc though...

I read a bit of it, I just couldn't get past the disgusting drool eating and i found the rest of story boring.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Cwarrior said:
I read a bit of it, I just couldn't get past the disgusting drool eating and i found the rest of story boring.
You DO realize that making out is called "swapping spit" for a reason. Their "ritual" just sort of added a middleman... I thought it was an interesting off-kilter approach to create an intimacy between the hero and the heroine.

BluWacky

JKTrix said:
You shut up. (from someone who gets heart aches whenever 'anime fans' say they have never seen a second of DBZ)

I still feel guilty for never having seen Ranma - and who the hell would watch Ranma these days as one of their "essential" anime?

Then again, I've never seen Eva either, so...

flawfuls

Miri said:
Doesn't even need it. Unbalance x "Punch a crazy bitch" Unbalance would blow this thread up.

I don't know there was already an adaptation of an Im Dal Young manhwa about women who get the shit beaten out them and that never caught on here.

Steroyd

BluWacky said:
I still feel guilty for never having seen Ranma - and who the hell would watch Ranma these days as one of their "essential" anime?

I did a year or 2 ago, was a fun ride, although I marathon stuff at a much slower pace these days which is a blessing in disguise because I get to savour Cardcaptor Sakura over a long period of time.

Branduil said:
I know if I was getting beaten up my reaction would be "you really know how to hit someone lol."

She's impressed, cut her some slack :p

I was reading it and one point and it was interesting but i forgot about it since the translation was slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom